5 Lands of Shannara [updated 24 jun 2013]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: 5 Lands of Shannara [updated 20 jun 2013]

Postby Blakkrose on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:08 pm

CHANGES IN 20 jun 2013
Today I've changed the map several times...

1. Created a complete Legend with all the rules,
  2. Calculated all the bonuses with the "Copia di CC_MAP_BONUS_CALC.xls" sheet and here is a screenshot of the xls file:

Click image to enlarge.
Corporal 1st Class Blakkrose

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)

Re: 5 Lands of Shannara [updated 19 jun 2013]

Postby Blakkrose on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:14 pm

waauw wrote:ooooh, now I understand. Though I think you have to make a special request if you want to make a map for less than 8 players.
Map itself looks good though and I like the concept, but I'm not sure conditional autodeploy is possible. You might wanna ask an xml expert about that one.

I asked to Thenobodies80 before starting this map and he told me that all i wrote is possible.
I trust in his words and i'm witing his help.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Re: 5 Lands of Shannara [updated 20 jun 2013]

Postby Blakkrose on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:17 pm

Aleena wrote:They need to make a library of the available Function for the game engine with examples and limitations stated. It would make designing the maps easier and faster, plus it would allow the XML experts to focus on possible upgrades instead of answering questions and for map makers a clear reference spot instead of trying to hunt down an xml expert.

Great words.
I wait this guide with trust!

Re: 5 Lands of Shannara [updated 22 jun 2013]

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:31 pm

Before you go any further do you have permission to make this map from the original book Author? If not you need to get that ASAP or else CC cannot allow this map.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 140
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby Blakkrose on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:29 am

Bruceswar wrote:Before you go any further do you have permission to make this map from the original book Author? If not you need to get that ASAP or else CC cannot allow this map.

First of all thanks for the observation.

I totally redrawn this map with Photoshop; i changed several originals locations and created new ones.
I think that all this changes are enough to "bypass" the copyrights.
This is the original map.

Click image to enlarge.

Do you think my map is too much similar?

In any case i'm waiting the opinion of thenobodies80.

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:01 am

The concept is not of your own. .. so you must get permission from the original author. ...
Major Bruceswar

Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby greenoaks on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:41 am

now i see why you were being particular with the place names.

this map can't be made without permission given by the author of the books or whoever holds copyright to them.
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Re: 5 Lands of Shannara [updated 24 jun 2013]

Postby Blakkrose on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:07 am

Today's changes:
  1. Eliminated El2
  2. Shorted all territories names in visual order
Click image to enlarge.

Postby Aleena on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:50 am

You've done a lot of work, would hate to see it lost....
One of your biggest problems is your naming, a lot of the places not only look the same, and appear to be in the same location, but yet they also seem to have the same name.

Nothing is wrong with making a fantasy theme map... They can not copyright dwarves, humans, druids, elves, ect.. For they are commonly used in all most all fantasy based games. If you change the names and some of the major themes - you should be able to get away with it...

Change major themes like: instead of :
Skull Kingdom - maybe Cross Bone Kingdom and add two bone looking towers that cross over the skull...
Rainbow Lake - Crystal Lake, (still can use the rainbow graphics because it's not in the original - and can be story-lines in with crystal lake as such the lake fractures the day's light into a huge rainbow as if it passes though a crystal ...

I noticed in your drawing "Callahorn" has a huge crack or crevise in it, where in the orginal drawing it does not - so change the name to fit it - Like instead of Callahorn maybe "Calls of Hades" or "Crevise of Doom" - changes like this will make your map stand out and be it's own work instead of that of others..

Once you change all the names, and modify a few locations to make it your own - I think this could pass with out getting permission - but in my opinion - right now how it stands it is too similar - but it can be fixed.
Private 1st Class Aleena

Medals: 1
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:56 am

Aleena wrote:You've done a lot of work, would hate to see it lost....
One of your biggest problems is your naming, a lot of the places not only look the same, and appear to be in the same location, but yet they also seem to have the same name.

Nothing is wrong with making a fantasy theme map... They can not copyright dwarves, humans, druids, elves, ect.. For they are commonly used in all most all fantasy based games. If you change the names and some of the major themes - you should be able to get away with it...

Change major themes like: instead of :
Skull Kingdom - maybe Cross Bone Kingdom and add two bone looking towers that cross over the skull...
Rainbow Lake - Crystal Lake, (still can use the rainbow graphics because it's not in the original - and can be story-lines in with crystal lake as such the lake fractures the day's light into a huge rainbow as if it passes though a crystal ...

I noticed in your drawing "Callahorn" has a huge crack or crevise in it, where in the orginal drawing it does not - so change the name to fit it - Like instead of Callahorn maybe "Calls of Hades" or "Crevise of Doom" - changes like this will make your map stand out and be it's own work instead of that of others..

Once you change all the names, and modify a few locations to make it your own - I think this could pass with out getting permission - but in my opinion - right now how it stands it is too similar - but it can be fixed.

Even with those suggestions he will still need to get permission from the author.
Major Bruceswar

Postby waauw on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:03 am

maybe he should just keep the same concept but start the map from scratch. Make sure that everything is on different locations and has different names. That should be sufficient.

George Santayana: Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Cook waauw

Location: Physically in Belgium, mentally lost in his fantasy world
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (10)

Postby Blakkrose on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:16 am

Aleena wrote:You've done a lot of work, would hate to see it lost....

...Once you change all the names, and modify a few locations to make it your own - I think this could pass with out getting permission - but in my opinion - right now how it stands it is too similar - but it can be fixed.

Thanks for your interest.

I'm trying to create a Shannara Map, not a Fantasy Map!

If i must modify all the background of the map i can rename this map like "5 Races" or something like this but i I don't want it!

I contacted the italian forum of Terry Brooks and i asked help.
I'm waiting an answer.

I'm wait also thenobodies80's help to take a decision.

Thanks again

Postby Teflon Kris on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:41 am

I like the creativity - you can probably do without the bold borders between regions (especially around the mountains) as the change in colour / shade between regions is enough for players to work-out border.

:D
Captain Teflon Kris

Medals: 170
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (4)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30)
General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (8)

Postby Blakkrose on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:02 am

Today I've got the final reply about the copyright and the permission to go on with my work.

I quote the 2 reply:

"Hi Francesco,
As I wrote you a few days ago, you will not be given permission to use the map. The copyright is held by Del Rey Books and they have given permission to Russ Charpentier to create and use Shannara maps. No one else may use it.
Best,
Shawn
(The Official Terry Brooks Page)"

"Shelly Shapiro did that map and she works for Del Rey Books. As I said, Del Rey gave Russ Charpentier the rights to the maps and they won't infringe on that. Sorry.
Shawn Speakman"

So, boys, if the foundry group ask me the author's permission i abandon this project. :(

I'm waiting thenobodies80 to take the final decision...

Postby greenoaks on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:06 am

move this to the bin. :(
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas