Conquer Club

Game Page Layout - new proposal! [First Post]

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Do you like the proposed layout?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:36 am

Total votes : 0

Re: Game Page Layout Discussion

Postby Serbia on Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:27 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:
Serbia wrote:
lokisgal wrote:ok that fixed it

still see no need for this....

Why was my post saying that I don't like it deleted, and yet this one remains?
And while we're at it, why are ANY negative feedback posts deleted? Don't you want feedback? Things like that tick me off more than anything else on this site.

Part of the discussion was merged into the announcement thread.

Geez. Just because you can;t find your post, you automatically assume the mods deleted it because it said something they did not like?

:oops: Sorry, offense withdrawn.

I have had that happen to me before, so I was quick to whine again. Without cause this time. My apologies.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby lord voldemort on Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:40 pm

I'd like to have an option to turn it off all together. Its annoying and in the way. And i prefer to use bob
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby lgoasklucyl on Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:48 pm

lord voldemort wrote:I'd like to have an option to turn it off all together. Its annoying and in the way. And i prefer to use bob

I agree with this entirely.

This is what it looks like at 1440x900:
Click image to enlarge.

Vs. the BOB stats table on the same settings:
Click image to enlarge.

The BOB layout looks so much nicer. If people are vying for the 'but you have to manually install BOB' argument, just follow the lead of that table. It's perfectly ordered in order of (at least what I feel) is relevant (spoils then troops then territs). Spoils having been moved to the back of the table (in the newly enacted version) just doesn't feel right... at all. One could argue that regions are more important than troops in the log, but spoils simply need to be first IMO.

Otherwise, it is a pretty solid addition. With the BOB table, however, it's pretty useless and unattractive.
Sergeant 1st Class lgoasklucyl

Postby Scott-Land on Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:56 pm

Hmm, can no longer highlight Team 2 to see which territories are occupied. Still works for Team 1 so I'm assuming it's a bug?
Major Scott-Land

Postby Optimus Prime on Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:21 pm

I do a lot of reading about web development, and while in the past vertical scrolling, or "beyond the 'fold'" as it used to be called was to be avoided, a large majority of internet users say now that they don't mind some minor scrolling to get to information they deem useful. I'm pretty sure you could put ALL of the information currently held to the right side of the map down below and would see little to no complaint about the location.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:22 pm

lgoasklucyl wrote:
lord voldemort wrote:I'd like to have an option to turn it off all together. Its annoying and in the way. And i prefer to use bob

Click image to enlarge.

NAGEROUS! OH NO! HANG IN THERE, BUDDY!

OTher than that, the layout looks sexy, and now people without BOB can revel in a little of the BOB-users advantages.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:16 pm

I fail to understand how it's annoying. No one is forcing you to scroll sideways to see it. No one is forcing you to use it either. You can just scroll down and use BOB like always.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby lokisgal on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:18 pm

i dont scroll sideways to see it - its right there in my face!
Id prefer this is an option it does what BOB already does anyway
Captain lokisgal
SoC Training Adviser

Postby soundman on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:21 pm

Batmanette wrote:Hey Lack,

eliminated players are still showing as receiving 3 armies.

Yeah I noticed that, and didn't like it.

My only suggestion is to move the spoils back to where they were originally. Cards are important (Especially in escalating games) and should be easily seen without scrolling. It's also a little difficult to match the players to the spoils in the current format.
Lieutenant soundman

Postby nagerous on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:29 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
lgoasklucyl wrote:

Click image to enlarge.

OTher than that, the layout looks sexy, and now people without BOB can revel in a little of the BOB-users advantages.

It looks like I'm pretty screwed.
Captain nagerous

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:39 pm

nagerous wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
lgoasklucyl wrote:

Click image to enlarge.

It looks like I'm pretty screwed.

Get away from the Archipelago and head towards a landmass before your civilization is wiped from the face of the Earth!
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Blitzaholic on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:47 pm

I personally liked it the way it was, this new update causes my screen to bounce up and down every time I take a turn.
General Blitzaholic

Postby keyborn on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:51 pm

Why even change the spoils or card indicators that we have been using for years now? The only thing this change would accomplish, especially by putting them on the end of your new horizontal info table, is to make everyone have to scroll further to the right to see them. Vertical scrolling is far better than horizontal.
Brigadier keyborn

Postby Georgerx7di on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:02 pm

lackattack wrote:We just added game stats to the the players list on the right of the map. It means some people will have to scroll horizontally to see them, which is a shame. But we don't want vertical scrolling for each attack right? Considering that even small maps are quite large these days, and we still have many users on 1024x768 resolution, getting a good layout is tricky.

Should the player listing & stats be above the map or below instead? Or is there a completely different solution?

I'd love to hear what you think.

Below I think is better. Many of us use bob, and that is where bob puts it, so we are used to seeing it there. Also, for those who don't like change, it wouldn't disrupt what you see when you first open the page. I would rather see the map when I first open the game, and then have the choice to scroll down to the stats if that is something that I want to look at.
Major Georgerx7di

Postby Optimus Prime on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:17 pm

lokisgal wrote:i dont scroll sideways to see it - its right there in my face!
Id prefer this is an option it does what BOB already does anyway

That's the point. It does what BOB does. Anyone using Internet Explorer did not have the option of using BOB and lackattack wanted to make the statistics used by Firefox users available to those who use other browsers. It's a fair thing to do since there are so many people who use BOB already. It makes sense to provide that information to everyone, not just the people who choose to use a particular browser.

If you want to use BOB nobody is going to stop you, you can scroll down, use BOB and no harm is done. After you've played your turns for the next few days using BOB instead of the new information to the right of the map you aren't going to care that it is there, I can almost guarantee it.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Optimus Prime on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:18 pm

Blitzaholic wrote:I personally liked it the way it was, this new update causes my screen to bounce up and down every time I take a turn.

Update to the most recent version of BOB and the problem should resolve itself.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby tdans on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:25 pm

i find it annoying that i have to scroll horizontally to see the number of cards.. i dont have much time to spend on here.. and having to do that waste times.. having it below would be better.. also on a speed game that would suck...
Lieutenant tdans

Postby Robinette on Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:10 pm

The columns of info are quite irregular...

Couldn't the spaces between the columns be reduced and aligned better.
And maybe put the spoils back to the left of the Player name.
That would help clean it up quite a bit...
Brigadier Robinette

Postby karelpietertje on Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:36 pm

Robinette wrote:The columns of info are quite irregular...

Couldn't the spaces between the columns be reduced and aligned better.
And maybe put the spoils back to the left of the Player name.
That would help clean it up quite a bit...

the spoils are a matter of getting used to... nothing bad about putting them at the end.
but yeah some structure in the table would be nice
Major karelpietertje

Postby equalpants on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:54 am

Please put the spoils back next to the names where they were before, or else make them the first column in the stats. It's not such a big deal to have to scroll to see the rest of the stats, but the spoils are important, especially for escalating. Being able to see them and the map at the same time is a huge plus.

I'd also vote for vertical scrolling over horizontal--maybe keep the names + spoils up where they were, and put the stats section below the game log? It's much, much easier to only have to scroll in one direction.
Major equalpants

Postby mibi on Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:25 am

Lack already knows the screen resolution of every CC users, as its all in Google Analytics. So he should know which width is best for the most amount of people.

It's just slightly irratating that we in the map foundry have been limited to what width map we can make, and then Lack goes and tosses in huge width feature.
Captain mibi

Postby sherkaner on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:05 am

Scott-Land wrote:Hmm, can no longer highlight Team 2 to see which territories are occupied. Still works for Team 1 so I'm assuming it's a bug?

BOB-bug, I'm gonna wait until the dust settles to create a new version, but if you update BOB now, that should work again.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby Darthvadar on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:13 am

i dont like it, it sucks
Captain Darthvadar

Postby Master Fenrir on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:28 am

equalpants wrote:Please put the spoils back next to the names where they were before, or else make them the first column in the stats.

I completely agree. For BOB users, this is the only thing that has really changed, and I do find it kind of annoying. If the spoils get moved to the first column, I could deal with the change, as I would have no need to horizontally scroll, as I usually check there for card information instead of down below with the rest of the BOB stats. IE users would still get all of their important information, just in a different order.
General Master Fenrir

Postby anonymus on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:57 am

nice addition!
kind of sucks that it sais "tomorrow at NaN NaN" when you should see the time left of your turn..
this is a feauture i dint even like in bob so maybe im just whiney but it is not good that you cant see how much you have left until you click the actual game..

/ :?:
Click image to enlarge.

show: BoganGod speaks the truth
Colonel anonymus

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion