Conquer Club

CC is declining again!

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Is CC Declining?

Postby Shannon Apple on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:40 pm

I think honestly, it's the crazy accusations like what was mentioned above that suck the fun out of the game. I can only count that post as baiting again, so I am not going to directly address it. People do get fed up with that kinda drama and leave, others thrive on it, but it isn't healthy for CC.

Also, CC could do with some visual updates like a new skin or something. It's so 2003 atm. This would attract new users.
I don't see this site going anywhere anytime soon though because 12.8k active users is still a hell of a lot.

Something I did notice though is that when a random player signs up for team games, most of them don't like to work together and discuss turns. People don't have time for that anymore. Back in 2009 when I was a member first time around (same account, took a 3 year break) there seemed to be a lot more players willing to see the potential in a new player and play with them. I had such a person back then. That's what new people need to get them to stay. They need people who are willing to show them the ropes rather than just thrashing them to cook status so they leave.

Old members are always going to leave eventually, it's a natural circle. It's the new members who are the future of the site.
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby jiminski on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:....... I can only count that post as baiting again, so I am not going to directly address it. People do get fed up with that kinda drama and leave......

Back in 2009 when I was a member first time around ......there seemed to be a lot more players willing to see the potential in a new player and play with them....... They need people who are willing to show them the ropes rather than just thrashing them to cook status so they leave.

I'm sure there is something a little incongruous about that first bit Apple .. but i take your point.

As to the change in culture regarding new players .. well i think there is perhaps some truth to what you say and that the greater assimilation of the clan system has turned the site in on itself. The initiated play in-house and the new ones just get farmed.
Saying that, I'm not sure there was ever a golden era when the old guard welcomed in the newboys and told them where they went wrong, there making it more tough to take their next points. Take on an obedient cook to lessen the points loss perhaps but rarely out of altruism.

Summary for Frito-Bandito:
jiminski wrote:...a little incongruous..
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby niMic on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:37 pm

DJPatrick wrote:Incoherent rambling

10/10 would mock again.
Highest score: 3747
Highest rank: 17
General niMic

Postby Shannon Apple on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:55 pm

jiminski wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:....... I can only count that post as baiting again, so I am not going to directly address it. People do get fed up with that kinda drama and leave......

Back in 2009 when I was a member first time around ......there seemed to be a lot more players willing to see the potential in a new player and play with them....... They need people who are willing to show them the ropes rather than just thrashing them to cook status so they leave.

I'm sure there is something a little incongruous about that first bit Apple .. but i take your point.

As to the change in culture regarding new players .. well i think there is perhaps some truth to what you say and that the greater assimilation of the clan system has turned the site in on itself. The initiated play in-house and the new ones just get farmed.
Saying that, I'm not sure there was ever a golden era when the old guard welcomed in the newboys and told them where they went wrong, there making it more tough to take their next points. Take on an obedient cook to lessen the points loss perhaps but rarely out of altruism.

Well nah that's not what I am saying at all. I was never a dumb noob. I play strategy MMOs and such, so something like this while not a piece of cake, made sense to me. Rather than just farm me, a player or two who recognised I could strategise wanted to play with me. I dunno, it just seems that no one wants to get to know someone unless they have a high rank nowadays, even a newb with some skill. I feel that there was less farming back then as well. Certainly didn't notice it if there was.

Clans are the place to be nowadays. When a few clans approached me recently, I was like "why not." I want to become a better player, so that's the way to do it.
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Qwert on Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:
Old members are always going to leave eventually, it's a natural circle. It's the new members who are the future of the site.

:( so its time for me to leave ? please give me just more time. new member are future, but before they come, i could stay a little more ,right?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Shannon Apple on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:08 pm

qwert wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:

:( so its time for me to leave ? please give me just more time. new member are future, but before they come, i could stay a little more ,right?

Any site needs new members coming in that will replace those that leave. XD. I don't think an old member is more important than a new person, that's how I feel. All members have equal importance and attracting new members is important, without them, numbers will keep declining. Anyway... that's my two cents. :-$
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby fishydance on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:
qwert wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:

Any site needs new members coming in that will replace those that leave. XD. I don't think an old member is more important than a new person, that's how I feel. All members have equal importance and attracting new members is important, without them, numbers will keep declining. Anyway... that's my two cents. :-$

Which means old members are important too. When a member leaves, it is one person less. Doesn't matter how long they have been here. We'll keep you around for a while longer qwert :D
Major fishydance
Clan Director
Clan Director

Postby Jingu on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:52 pm

I've recently threatened to leave .... over reacted on bad dice and got carried away ... soon after I was stripped of my premium (coincidence?) and accused of being a multi ... which I am most certainly not. That's all beside the point though, and more story than it's worth writing about ....

at the end of the day this site has its issues - like the dice algorithm's which are just too streaky (you expect streaks in random but not what you see here) but the positives are that there are lot of good people here that seem to really care about the site, and a lot of awesome maps to choose from.

I haven't been here long enough to see a decline (or an incline) but I can't see it going anywhere ... looks like lots of active map makers, and people willing to play them ...

So long as my premium doesn't get stolen (its being re-investigated) I will be sticking around and looking to move on with a cooler head.
Captain Jingu

Postby jiminski on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:31 am

fishydance wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:
qwert wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:

Which means old members are important too. When a member leaves, it is one person less. Doesn't matter how long they have been here. We'll keep you around for a while longer qwert :D

he does seem a crotchety old bugger though .. if he were a dog we'd take him for a long drive in a blindfold soaked in fox pee ;)
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:43 am

fishydance wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:
qwert wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:

Do we want to keep him?

Haha, just kidding qwert. <3
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Qwert on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:16 pm

well its look that CC declining , get topic competition in "cc inclining " Who will win this challenge?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby jiminski on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:21 pm

qwert wrote:well its look that CC declining , get topic competition in "cc inclining " Who will win this challenge?

good question!
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:25 pm

qwert wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:

You can stay for as long as you like...
We're gonna have a ball!
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Brew City on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:18 pm

Getting rid of the speed games for non premium members was a bad decision and def. will make CC decline and peeps will go to the other Risk sites that are quickly gaining popularity and do offer free speed games. Victors United for example is amazing! Check it out, game play is much better and not so confusing for new players. A certain amount of speed games you could play a month sounded fair to me for non premium members. I don't play that many speed games but once and a while I like to sit down and enjoy one. Today was one of those days I wanted to use one of my speed games for the month and it took 15 mins to figure out why I couldn't! That was the straw that broke the camels back guys! Peace, I'm out!
Captain Brew City

Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin(Brew City, duh...) Algonquin for ā€œThe Good Landā€ -Alice Cooper

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:00 pm

Brew City wrote:Getting rid of the speed games for non premium members was a bad decision and def. will make CC decline and peeps will go to the other Risk sites that are quickly gaining popularity and do offer free speed games. Victors United for example is amazing! Check it out, game play is much better and not so confusing for new players. A certain amount of speed games you could play a month sounded fair to me for non premium members. I don't play that many speed games but once and a while I like to sit down and enjoy one. Today was one of those days I wanted to use one of my speed games for the month and it took 15 mins to figure out why I couldn't! That was the straw that broke the camels back guys! Peace, I'm out!

I agree with you that they should restore the limited free speed games. That, however, is where our agreement stops.

I had never heard of Victors United before your post, so I went to check it out. It also requires paid membership in order to play speed (ie. "lightning") games, but the paid membership there is $40, not $25 like ours. There are 424 players on the scoreboard instead of 12K. After 3 years it's still in Beta release. Game options like Fog of War require a paid membership, whereas here on CC free members can use any game option except speed. Looking through the forum, a quick glance shows numerous complaints about various bugs, server outages, and incorrect charges to people's PayPal account.

Enjoy your amazing alternative...:)
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby OliverFA on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:04 pm

It's 12,944 now. Will we see 13,000 again?
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Postby RangerX on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:50 am

i'm relatively new here but i really like this site. i'm a long time risk player, though i haven't played in quite a while, and there are no other sites that come close to this one. if this site is in decline i'll bet the competitors are really flagging.
Corporal 1st Class RangerX

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:47 pm

RangerX wrote:i'm relatively new here but i really like this site. i'm a long time risk player, though i haven't played in quite a while, and there are no other sites that come close to this one. if this site is in decline i'll bet the competitors are really flagging.

So sayeth the horse and buggy producer, circa 1920s. :P
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby KawawangCowboy on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:18 am

I signed up just last week and I love the site. I've referred any of my friends who I've played Risk with in the past. I bought premium because 4 games wasn't enough for me.

I also on occasion post on a Civilization message board. Been there since 2001 and every-single-year since then, that site has had a thread like this. As long as you have a vibrant community, as you seem to have here, you'll do fine.

Otherwise I agree with Apple. Do something to bring in new players, because some players invariably leave. But I don't think the site is struggling if you have 12-13k players really.
Private 1st Class KawawangCowboy

Postby Armandolas on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:12 am

KawawangCowboy wrote:I signed up just last week and I love the site. I've referred any of my friends who I've played Risk with in the past. I bought premium because 4 games wasn't enough for me.

I also on occasion post on a Civilization message board. Been there since 2001 and every-single-year since then, that site has had a thread like this. As long as you have a vibrant community, as you seem to have here, you'll do fine.

Otherwise I agree with Apple. Do something to bring in new players, because some players invariably leave. But I don't think the site is struggling if you have 12-13k players really.

=D> =D> =D>
Colonel Armandolas

Postby KawawangCowboy on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks Armandolas.

If I have anything else to say, it's that this site needs better promoting if you want more players. I've been a big Risk fan since childhood, and I would have very gladly signed up for a site like this yeaaars ago if I had ever heard of it. What brought me here was watching RealityGameMasters. I moved to the Philippines not long ago and its impossible to get a game going here, so I thought "There has to be a way online!"

I ran into a blog post, and it brought me here. If whoever's promoting this site could find a way to reach more people, I'm sure it'll bring in more people as well.
Private 1st Class KawawangCowboy

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:25 pm

KawawangCowboy wrote:Thanks Armandolas.

If I have anything else to say, it's that this site needs better promoting if you want more players. I've been a big Risk fan since childhood, and I would have very gladly signed up for a site like this yeaaars ago if I had ever heard of it. What brought me here was watching RealityGameMasters. I moved to the Philippines not long ago and its impossible to get a game going here, so I thought "There has to be a way online!"

I ran into a blog post, and it brought me here. If whoever's promoting this site could find a way to reach more people, I'm sure it'll bring in more people as well.

I think this is very true. I looked for this kind of site for awhile, and the google just didn't ever give me this site. I looked for a few days every now and then just wanting to play, and one of my friends just happened to already be playing here. It needs to be easier to find.
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby ManBungalow on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:11 pm

Wow, back up to 13,062.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby notyou2 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:22 pm

Please change the thread title to "Is CC Ascending?"
Captain notyou2

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:04 am

Bruceswar wrote:CC biggest rival has hit a huge huge snag. I think that people will start jumping ship quick and moving to CC or other places.

Could this be a reason for the spike? CC still offers a huge amount of fun for a small fee. Hell you can barely buy a few gallons of gas now with $25.00
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion