Conquer Club

When is breaking a truce justifiable?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: When is breaking a truce justifiable?

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:44 pm

When you're a prat.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Sydney0103 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:42 pm

KoolBak wrote:You want opinions?

Making truces / alliances is such a miserably spineless action in the first place that the entire question of breaking one is moot. No worse than entering into one in the first place.

Every player I've ever seen offer / make an alliance has been targeted and foed......in fact, that's how I met ol' Wacicha 6 years ago because be BOTH reacted the same way.....with honor....lol. And THAT'S why I love our group because there's at least 100 people that play with honor. Cowboy up.....win and lose like you got a pair. You wanna play teams, play teams. :D

I haven't been out here on CC very long, but I "Totally" agree with everything he says here...I've said it to many people in games I have played, "If you want to play Teams, Play Teams!!"

Man Up!!! Grow a Pair!!!
I believe that two people are connected at the heart, and it doesn't matter what you do, or who you are or where you live; there are no boundaries or barriers if two people are destined to be together.
Cook Sydney0103

Location: A place where pebbles are polished and diamonds are dimmed.

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:32 pm

I dont think making a truce is cowardly. What if its a 4 player game and two of the players form a truce. Does it not make sense that the remaining 2 make a truce as well to even the playing field?
I've made truces but I've never broken one.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:11 am

People that disparage diplomacy don't understand how to be diplomatic themselves.

In other words, if I can't fight well, then I'll yell at anyone who chooses to fight.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby KoolBak on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:59 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:People that disparage diplomacy don't understand how to be diplomatic themselves.

In other words, if I can't fight well, then I'll yell at anyone who chooses to fight.

You say diplomat, I say pussy :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:28 pm

KoolBak wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:People that disparage diplomacy don't understand how to be diplomatic themselves.

Now, now, lets compromise. Diplussy. Or maybe, Pussomat.

Anyways, I actually maybe agree with BBS. Ha.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby KoE_Sirius on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:02 pm

Viceroy63 wrote:Then why not post the agreement and show us that as well?

The suicide thing is a different issue. He's definitely wrong there just saying that even in joking.

How come ? Its a valid tactic to threaten to suicide.Lots of players do it and it really makes an opponent think,even put them off game play.
To actually suicide is another matter. :-s
Highest Rank 4th.
Major KoE_Sirius

Postby KoolBak on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:47 pm

OK AndyBallz....I respect differences of opinions (hell, I've managed to stay married for 24 years :shock: )...I didn't mean to offend guys (tosses bananas and poutine oot for all). :D
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:40 pm

KoolBak wrote:

You say pussy, I say strategerie.

As Sun Tzu says, the successful general is one who wins the war without deploying a single soldier. I'm still figuring out how to apply this to ConquerClub....
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Viceroy63 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:34 pm

In a way this is also a role playing game but the thing is that we carry our roles into every game we play. So if we break our agreements then eventually our reputations will proceed us.

If we make a truce it should be towards a certain specific round. For example: "Pink, can we have a truce until round 18?" Then on round 18 the first player to go can fire on.

BigBallinStalin wrote:As Sun Tzu says, the successful general is one who wins the war without deploying a single soldier. I'm still figuring out how to apply this to ConquerClub....

That's too deep for me man. LOL.
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:12 am

Viceroy63 wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:As Sun Tzu says, the successful general is one who wins the war without deploying a single soldier. I'm still figuring out how to apply this to ConquerClub....

Imagine a scenario where everyone in the game misses turns and deadbeats. The winner, if they similarly missed turns and never deployed would have deadbeated, but the game crowns them the victor without ever deploying a single soldier. Ha.

Not really a strategy one can employ though on command!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:28 pm

Viceroy63 wrote:In a way this is also a role playing game but the thing is that we carry our roles into every game we play. So if we break our agreements then eventually our reputations will proceed us.

If we make a truce it should be towards a certain specific round. For example: "Pink, can we have a truce until round 18?" Then on round 18 the first player to go can fire on.

Haha, don't be discouraged. It goes like this:

You undermine the State, or create/take advantage of a tension between its rulers and their people. This renders the State/political leaders' ability to craft policy and wage war less effective. Much of this is performed through the 5th column (spies). A longer framework would incorporate making alliances against the enemy (or engaging in mutual trade embargos/sanctions). The internal pressure increases, and the external threat of force (from your own forces and from your allies) would hopefully force the enemy to sue for peace---before the physical war has even begun.

Thus, the successful general is one who wins the war without deploying a single soldier.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:33 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
Viceroy63 wrote:

Imagine a scenario where everyone in the game misses turns and deadbeats. The winner, if they similarly missed turns and never deployed would have deadbeated, but the game crowns them the victor without ever deploying a single soldier. Ha.

Not really a strategy one can employ though on command!

--Andy

Have you noticed the domestic turmoil as of late? Declining numbers, people are pissed at the mods, they demand lackattack, no response for lackattack! THE END TIMES ARE NIGH!

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE!!

MAJORCOMMAND.COM, THAT'S WHO!

They've read Sun Tzu's Art of War. They're manipulating us against ourselves. We'll show them...... YES... we'll show them all right.

(inb4 Andy joke, "Everyone! Man your Banana Stations!")
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby jimboston on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:46 am

I think by warning him you are essentially giving notice that the alliance or truce is over. Thus there is no more truce at that point. If you attacked with no warning that would not be kosher.
Private 1st Class jimboston

Postby Serbia on Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:47 pm

Truces are meant to be broken. Yeah, it might be "cheap" to break a truce without warning, but hey, we're all playing to win, right? Next time, don't enter into a truce. Or if you do, never fully trust anyone. That's a surefire way to lose.

(I rarely enter into truces, ftr - can't remember the last time I did)
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:14 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Viceroy63 wrote:In a way this is also a role playing game but the thing is that we carry our roles into every game we play. So if we break our agreements then eventually our reputations will proceed us.

You undermine the State, or create/take advantage of a tension between its rulers and their people. This renders the State/political leaders' ability to craft policy and wage war less effective. Much of this is performed through the 5th column (spies). A longer framework would incorporate making alliances against the enemy (or engaging in mutual trade embargos/sanctions). The internal pressure increases, and the external threat of force (from your own forces and from your allies) would hopefully force the enemy to sue for peace---before the physical war has even begun.

Thus, the successful general is one who wins the war without deploying a single soldier.

That sounds like a lot of work...
I always took it to mean that if you slowly explain to your enemy that resistance is pointless, the actual fighting becomes merely a formality.
Also, peace is not the goal, victory is the goal.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Gillipig on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:29 pm

ConquerClub is just not advanced enough to encompass all of Sun Tzu's philosophies. So we can ignore his "supreme excellence is to defeat your enemies without fighting". However great it is.
This one is one can be followed however:
'There are roads which must not be followed, armies which must not be attacked, towns which must not be besieged,positions which must not be contested.'
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:10 pm

Gillipig wrote:ConquerClub is just not advanced enough to encompass all of Sun Tzu's philosophies. So we can ignore his "supreme excellence is to defeat your enemies without fighting". However great it is.
This one is one can be followed however:
'There are roads which must not be followed, armies which must not be attacked, towns which must not be besieged,positions which must not be contested.'

Sounds reasonable. O:)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Viceroy63 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:35 pm

The only real way that I see where a player can win without deploying a single troop is to have such a huge reputation for awesomely winning games and putting other players to shame, that he simply stares his opponents into deadbeating on the game. LOL.
:lol:
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:02 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

I always took it to mean that if you slowly explain to your enemy that resistance is pointless, the actual fighting becomes merely a formality.
Also, peace is not the goal, victory is the goal.

An enemy cannot rely solely on your explanations. You have to change his incentives and his mental calculations in order to convince him.

Victory can be many things. If your goal is to extract wealth from the defeated, then you can demand money when the enemy sues for peace--without having to use your armies. That would be a victory.

Another victory is the pursuit of total war, or war at all costs, and according to Sun Tzu, that ain't a victory but an inevitable loss for both sides.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:10 pm

....such is life.
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:16 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:

Also, peace is not the goal, victory is the goal.[/quote]

An enemy cannot rely solely on your explanations. You have to change his incentives and his mental calculations in order to convince him.

Victory can be many things. If your goal is to extract wealth from the defeated, then you can demand money when the enemy sues for peace--without having to use your armies. That would be a victory.

Another victory is the pursuit of total war, or war at all costs, and according to Sun Tzu, that ain't a victory but an inevitable loss for both sides.[/quote]

Ooh, I like it when you talk dirty!
Victory without battle and through sheer presense alone. This is the idyllic wartime scenario.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Viceroy63 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:01 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:

OK; But whether you employ spies or the agents of Chaos to undermine the state or opponent, are you not still deploying a troop. Maybe not a military troop but deploying some one none the less? Or am I wrong about that? =)
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby NipzBGD on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:53 pm

What a twunt!12141551
Cook NipzBGD

Postby Georgerx7di on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:21 pm

You can only break a truce on Tuesday
Major Georgerx7di

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion