Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby neanderpaul14 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:39 pm

15013 results on 61 pages

one thing all new players look for are real time games. playing games
over long periods of time is something they need to get used to. being able
to play speed games would definitely help keep new players interested and
willing to stick around. my guess is, over time, bigger share of them would
get hooked and go premium.

abandoning some of the options would not help with new players. maybe
limiting some of the settings would help so they don't get overwhelmed.
losing some of the options would only alienate veterans who prefer to have
all possible game settings available.

excellent article Mr Changsha
Private 1st Class neanderpaul14
 
Posts: 1121
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson
Medals: 65
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (13)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby TDK on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:13 am

I think the one change mentioned in this tread that would make all the difference is making the speed games open to all. Limit the number of simultaneous games, limit the number of maps available, limit just about anything, but let the freemiums have speed games - chances of them getting hooked enough to drop dollars is much higher.
Cadet TDK
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:30 pm

Ok I read the first four pages of this and am hoping what I have to say is not repeating anyone.
I will admit that when I first joined the site I was interested in simply playing a game of risk when I could not play in rl.
I am not sure, however, that casual gamers leaving is the reason for the decline. Could it be that the element of rank spoils the "casual" atmosphere for every player, veteran or new? Winning a game loses some of its thunder when its overshadowed by the fact that you are "still a private". Its a disgusting film that covers this site. It sucks the life out of the game tbh.
Its like hanging out in a casino, everyone is supposed to be having fun but look around you and most people look miserable, or at least much more serious than you can be to enjoy a game as you should.
My suggestion, if this is the point of this thread, is to have a whole separate area of games where scoring is not affected. Rank will not matter during these games, I don't care how you figure this possible, just make it so. I'm sure you all can work something out.
Picture this:
You are invited to your friends house and after dinner you all decide to play a game of risk. Only when the game starts, everyone puts on costumes according to how many games they have won in the past. Your friend's Dad has a fekking crown on his head, get what I mean? You get a shabby overcoat. You make this a regular thing but no matter how many times you beat your friends dad (about half the time) he still gets to wear the crown and you the shabby coat because he plays seven days a week and you can only fit in one. He beats your friends' other friends constantly because they are just there for the food and therefore racks up more and more points on his little scoresheet. He's not even fun to play against, he just sits there silently, checking his scoresheet from time to time. One week you are invited to come over for the usual game and you tell him you can't because you have to wash your hair.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby 72o on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:02 am

My favorite games are 8-man escalating on Classic. There are still tons of those games available publicly. I play in a lot of them, and join around 10 a week.
Image
Sergeant 72o
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:04 am
Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (5)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby kentington on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:10 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:Ok I read the first four pages of this and am hoping what I have to say is not repeating anyone.
I will admit that when I first joined the site I was interested in simply playing a game of risk when I could not play in rl.
I am not sure, however, that casual gamers leaving is the reason for the decline. Could it be that the element of rank spoils the "casual" atmosphere for every player, veteran or new? Winning a game loses some of its thunder when its overshadowed by the fact that you are "still a private". Its a disgusting film that covers this site. It sucks the life out of the game tbh.
Its like hanging out in a casino, everyone is supposed to be having fun but look around you and most people look miserable, or at least much more serious than you can be to enjoy a game as you should.
My suggestion, if this is the point of this thread, is to have a whole separate area of games where scoring is not affected. Rank will not matter during these games, I don't care how you figure this possible, just make it so. I'm sure you all can work something out.
Picture this:
You are invited to your friends house and after dinner you all decide to play a game of risk. Only when the game starts, everyone puts on costumes according to how many games they have won in the past. Your friend's Dad has a fekking crown on his head, get what I mean? You get a shabby overcoat. You make this a regular thing but no matter how many times you beat your friends dad (about half the time) he still gets to wear the crown and you the shabby coat because he plays seven days a week and you can only fit in one. He beats your friends' other friends constantly because they are just there for the food and therefore racks up more and more points on his little scoresheet. He's not even fun to play against, he just sits there silently, checking his scoresheet from time to time. One week you are invited to come over for the usual game and you tell him you can't because you have to wash your hair.


FunkyT-Bone, I agree with you here. I don't know that others feel this way, but I have often wished for unranked games. I think the flaming in those sections would be a lot less. The only problem I see with this is that deadbeaters will increase. Possible solution is that premiums can use a filter so that they don't have to play against those with a deadbeat level of -1 or lower. Whatever that ranking would be.
Bruceswar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm wrote:We all had tons of men..
User avatar
Sergeant kentington
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:50 pm
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
General Contribution (4)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:20 pm

Kentington, good point on the deadbeating aspect. No rank/scoring could lead to increased apathy in regard to completing games.
I am trying to follow the train of thought of the OP and bring this all to its natural conclusion. His theory is that most people who try out the game are actually casual users and are really just looking for a place to play risk in its purest form. While these new players may or may not stay for the long haul and eventually become premium members, they must at least find the fix they are looking for in order to give the site a chance. Admittedly a new player could find his first experience discouraging, never coming back. It is one explanation that could explain the decline of cc.
I myself agree in part with the OP's theory in that the reason the site is in decline is because it has drifted away from the original spirit of the game. Yes, convoluted maps and strange settings, while they bring a temporary breath of fresh air to the game, end up being havens for point farming and tend to scare away "casual" players. But I think at the root is the points system, for these maps and settings would be far less popular without it.

The site has a tendency to create a sort of evolution in a player once they become acquainted:

Brand New player- "This is so cool, I can play risk anytime I want!" ---> (level 10 fun meter)
Learning the ropes- "Hmm, Seems like ranks means a lot in this community..." --->(level 8 fun)
Climbing the ladder- (level 5-8 fun, depending on how much you win) --->
Plateau- Here is where a lot of players leave I think. The site focuses so much on points that I believe a lot of people lose interest. Unless you have a very strong lust for competition or are involved socially, this site could become a real drag, some would say fatally flawed. With the spirit of the game robbed by the points system, each game becomes a means to an end. The hugely successful board game was never like this. There was much more "living in the moment" excitement. Some people may pay for premium while in the frenzy of seeking higher rank but will they re-subscribe? Most likely not.
The more games players want to play, the more likely they will buy premium. If the general mood of the site were shifted by a major overhaul of not disposal of the points sytem I think that new/casual players would stay longer and want to play more games. This leads to more premium subscriptions. As far as the dissolution of the current hierarchy, most people believe in their heart of hearts that tournaments are a better sign of skill than rank anyway so let that determine the conqueror and even all rank.
My only suggestion about something that would draw players into a premium membership is maybe to have that be a condition to being a member of a clan? The whole axis of the site would have shifted at this point so who knows, maybe clan wars/tournaments would be the driving force of the site, pick up games becoming tools to hone our skills. Doesn't it all sound glorious? Let us break the chains of sad attachment to rank and let the teaming masses clash. :twisted:
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby Woodruff on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:25 pm

kentington wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Ok I read the first four pages of this and am hoping what I have to say is not repeating anyone.
I will admit that when I first joined the site I was interested in simply playing a game of risk when I could not play in rl.
I am not sure, however, that casual gamers leaving is the reason for the decline. Could it be that the element of rank spoils the "casual" atmosphere for every player, veteran or new? Winning a game loses some of its thunder when its overshadowed by the fact that you are "still a private". Its a disgusting film that covers this site. It sucks the life out of the game tbh.
Its like hanging out in a casino, everyone is supposed to be having fun but look around you and most people look miserable, or at least much more serious than you can be to enjoy a game as you should.
My suggestion, if this is the point of this thread, is to have a whole separate area of games where scoring is not affected. Rank will not matter during these games, I don't care how you figure this possible, just make it so. I'm sure you all can work something out.
Picture this:
You are invited to your friends house and after dinner you all decide to play a game of risk. Only when the game starts, everyone puts on costumes according to how many games they have won in the past. Your friend's Dad has a fekking crown on his head, get what I mean? You get a shabby overcoat. You make this a regular thing but no matter how many times you beat your friends dad (about half the time) he still gets to wear the crown and you the shabby coat because he plays seven days a week and you can only fit in one. He beats your friends' other friends constantly because they are just there for the food and therefore racks up more and more points on his little scoresheet. He's not even fun to play against, he just sits there silently, checking his scoresheet from time to time. One week you are invited to come over for the usual game and you tell him you can't because you have to wash your hair.


FunkyT-Bone, I agree with you here. I don't know that others feel this way, but I have often wished for unranked games. I think the flaming in those sections would be a lot less. The only problem I see with this is that deadbeaters will increase. Possible solution is that premiums can use a filter so that they don't have to play against those with a deadbeat level of -1 or lower. Whatever that ranking would be.


The site is not interested in doing this because it holds the idiotic idea that it would corrupt the ranking system. Yeah, that system that already is corrupted so badly that it's worthless.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4964
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby kentington on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Woodruff wrote:
kentington wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Ok I read the first four pages of this and am hoping what I have to say is not repeating anyone.
I will admit that when I first joined the site I was interested in simply playing a game of risk when I could not play in rl.
I am not sure, however, that casual gamers leaving is the reason for the decline. Could it be that the element of rank spoils the "casual" atmosphere for every player, veteran or new? Winning a game loses some of its thunder when its overshadowed by the fact that you are "still a private". Its a disgusting film that covers this site. It sucks the life out of the game tbh.
Its like hanging out in a casino, everyone is supposed to be having fun but look around you and most people look miserable, or at least much more serious than you can be to enjoy a game as you should.
My suggestion, if this is the point of this thread, is to have a whole separate area of games where scoring is not affected. Rank will not matter during these games, I don't care how you figure this possible, just make it so. I'm sure you all can work something out.
Picture this:
You are invited to your friends house and after dinner you all decide to play a game of risk. Only when the game starts, everyone puts on costumes according to how many games they have won in the past. Your friend's Dad has a fekking crown on his head, get what I mean? You get a shabby overcoat. You make this a regular thing but no matter how many times you beat your friends dad (about half the time) he still gets to wear the crown and you the shabby coat because he plays seven days a week and you can only fit in one. He beats your friends' other friends constantly because they are just there for the food and therefore racks up more and more points on his little scoresheet. He's not even fun to play against, he just sits there silently, checking his scoresheet from time to time. One week you are invited to come over for the usual game and you tell him you can't because you have to wash your hair.


FunkyT-Bone, I agree with you here. I don't know that others feel this way, but I have often wished for unranked games. I think the flaming in those sections would be a lot less. The only problem I see with this is that deadbeaters will increase. Possible solution is that premiums can use a filter so that they don't have to play against those with a deadbeat level of -1 or lower. Whatever that ranking would be.


The site is not interested in doing this because it holds the idiotic idea that it would corrupt the ranking system. Yeah, that system that already is corrupted so badly that it's worthless.


I see your point and raise you five.
While what you say may be true, I am just posting what would make it more enjoyable for me. I don't think my idea will actually be implemented. So, why do I still post it? Just to exercise my free speech. :)

Yes, the point system is hurting. As long as you have ranks you will have those who abuse the system to get the highest ranks. Which is why I avoid any top rankers in games. They usually haven't gotten there without a lot of grinding and some abuse, whether intentional or not.
Bruceswar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm wrote:We all had tons of men..
User avatar
Sergeant kentington
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:50 pm
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
General Contribution (4)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:49 pm

(1) The truth is that we are only a small sample, and our area of concern (?'ers) are completely missing from our analysis.

In order to understand the problem and find ways to effectively expand, they'd have to conduct basic marketing research (e.g. surveys).

Until then, we're just spinning our wheels--on the issue of new recruits. On other issues it's different:


(2) Over time, some veterans do get bored, but with all the updates, new maps, etc. most veterans remain, but this may change (again, lacking statistics on subgroup behavior doesn't help).

(3) Finally, if the perceived profits of addressing the problem fail to offset (lackattack's) the opportunity cost, then we can expect CC to ignore the problems, or not take the problems seriously.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3880
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby kentington on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:09 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:(1) The truth is that we are only a small sample, and our area of concern (?'ers) are completely missing from our analysis.

In order to understand the problem and find ways to effectively expand, they'd have to conduct basic marketing research (e.g. surveys).

Until then, we're just spinning our wheels--on the issue of new recruits. On other issues it's different:


(2) Over time, some veterans do get bored, but with all the updates, new maps, etc. most veterans remain, but this may change (again, lacking statistics on subgroup behavior doesn't help).

(3) Finally, if the perceived profits of addressing the problem fail to offset (lackattack's) the opportunity cost, then we can expect CC to ignore the problems, or not take the problems seriously.


I have to say I love it when people can give pretty sound theories and still manage to be entertaining. It may be because I picture Jack Nicholson in a dinosaur outfit saying all of this stuff.
Bruceswar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm wrote:We all had tons of men..
User avatar
Sergeant kentington
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:50 pm
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
General Contribution (4)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:38 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:(1) The truth is that we are only a small sample, and our area of concern (?'ers) are completely missing from our analysis.

In order to understand the problem and find ways to effectively expand, they'd have to conduct basic marketing research (e.g. surveys).

Until then, we're just spinning our wheels--on the issue of new recruits. On other issues it's different:


(2) Over time, some veterans do get bored, but with all the updates, new maps, etc. most veterans remain, but this may change (again, lacking statistics on subgroup behavior doesn't help).

(3) Finally, if the perceived profits of addressing the problem fail to offset (lackattack's) the opportunity cost, then we can expect CC to ignore the problems, or not take the problems seriously.

1st Point:

I'll address the ?s. They are the ones who come to the site and find that links to the site are basically false advertising in that you can't play free risk online here. That is, without waiting a day or so to take your first turn.

2nd Point:

I agree that most veterans won't leave. I, however, think this has little to do with new updates. They are just hooked. Those that leave are either pissed at the management, dice, precious time being lost :P or are just simply tired of risk (most rare).

3rd Point:

True, and the fact that the paying customers of cc seem more motivated to investigate market research of the site than its profiteer only reenforces the suspicion that he doesn't think its worth the venture.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:44 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:(1) The truth is that we are only a small sample, and our area of concern (?'ers) are completely missing from our analysis.

In order to understand the problem and find ways to effectively expand, they'd have to conduct basic marketing research (e.g. surveys).

Until then, we're just spinning our wheels--on the issue of new recruits. On other issues it's different:


(2) Over time, some veterans do get bored, but with all the updates, new maps, etc. most veterans remain, but this may change (again, lacking statistics on subgroup behavior doesn't help).

(3) Finally, if the perceived profits of addressing the problem fail to offset (lackattack's) the opportunity cost, then we can expect CC to ignore the problems, or not take the problems seriously.

1st Point:

I'll address the ?s. They are the ones who come to the site and find that links to the site are basically false advertising in that you can't play free risk online here. That is, without waiting a day or so to take your first turn.


My intuition leads me to agree with you; however, since we are both lacking the empirical evidence, this hypothesis has yet to be verified.

My main point is that rational planning requires information which is currently insufficient. Without that, we could "shoot from the hip" but accidentally shoot ourselves in the foot.*


Funkyterrance wrote:2nd Point:

I agree that most veterans won't leave. I, however, think this has little to do with new updates. They are just hooked. Those that leave are either pissed at the management, dice, precious time being lost :P or are just simply tired of risk (most rare).


See my response to your 1st Point. :P


Funkyterrance wrote:3rd Point:

True, and the fact that the paying customers of cc seem more motivated to investigate market research of the site than its profiteer only reenforces the suspicion that he doesn't think its worth the venture.


What is to be done?

Shall we start a vanguard?




*I'm not sure why I'm saying "we" because "we" are not shareholders. Of course, "our feedback is important to them," but it's amusing how I identify with this site. That might not be healthy. Might have to engage in another Stalinist purge soon.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3880
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:46 pm

kentington wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:(1) The truth is that we are only a small sample, and our area of concern (?'ers) are completely missing from our analysis.

In order to understand the problem and find ways to effectively expand, they'd have to conduct basic marketing research (e.g. surveys).

Until then, we're just spinning our wheels--on the issue of new recruits. On other issues it's different:


(2) Over time, some veterans do get bored, but with all the updates, new maps, etc. most veterans remain, but this may change (again, lacking statistics on subgroup behavior doesn't help).

(3) Finally, if the perceived profits of addressing the problem fail to offset (lackattack's) the opportunity cost, then we can expect CC to ignore the problems, or not take the problems seriously.


I have to say I love it when people can give pretty sound theories and still manage to be entertaining. It may be because I picture Jack Nicholson in a dinosaur outfit saying all of this stuff.



Image
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3880
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:32 pm

I actually came here to play Risk on maps other than classic.

OH NO! TGD JUST THREW A WHOLE MONKEY WRENCH INTO THE THING! RUN!
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby Woodruff on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:48 pm

thegreekdog wrote:I actually came here to play Risk on maps other than classic.


Me too. For me, the tremendous map variance is why I'm still here. And pretty much the only reason.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4964
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:13 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:What is to be done?

Shall we start a vanguard?



If in this you mean start another risk-based website, if I had the time and the technical know-how to do such a thing I would seriously consider it. I'm that kind of person. ;)
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:43 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:What is to be done?

Shall we start a vanguard?



If in this you mean start another risk-based website, if I had the time and the technical know-how to do such a thing I would seriously consider it. I'm that kind of person. ;)


Great. Are you good at mobilizing people into a furor, and can you look scary while shaking your fists?

We might have to break down the doors to lackattack's house and take control.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3880
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:47 am

Ahh, a hostile takeover eh?
Now you're talking!

I'm ordering the pitchforks as we speak.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:03 am

Woodruff wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I actually came here to play Risk on maps other than classic.


Me too. For me, the tremendous map variance is why I'm still here. And pretty much the only reason.


I came for the map variety. I stayed because of map variety, off-topics forum, and flat rate and no card games. And you know you love off topics. C'mon Woodruff. Just admit it.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:29 am

I came here to kick ass and and chew bubblegum.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3880
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:52 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:I came here to kick ass and and chew bubblegum.


And you're all out of asses?
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:41 pm

And the bubblegum is stale.

Life is unbearable.

Wo

is me.


BOO HOO HOO
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3880
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby fadedpsychosis on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:46 pm

and now you know the answer to the age old question "does your chewing gum loose it's flavor on the bedpost overnight?"
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
User avatar
Private fadedpsychosis
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:12 pm
Location: global

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:15 pm

fadedpsychosis wrote:and now you know the answer to the age old question "does your chewing gum loose it's flavor on the bedpost overnight?"


One's chewing gum loses flavor overnight but one's ass gains flavor. Go figure.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Why CC's Membership is (actually) Declining

Postby jak111 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:20 am

I had a whole page of writing wrote into this box but deleted it all because I think people are not worth the mind to comprehend it.

Basically the community is the problem. People worry about their points and winning so much that the enjoyment is lost. Without new players to play against and with old players gradually leaving. Who will be left to give a sh*t where you're ranked on the high-scores? Will it be worth it when the site closes down due to lack of money because no player is willing to pay for something they do not enjoy?

Don't get me wrong, there's thousands of us left and we all keep it alive so far. But how long will that last? How long until people just give up and leave completely?

If you want my opinion. Add a "credit" feature that you earn "credits" as you play games. Each game win/lose gives you a set amount of "credits" and you buy maps and settings with those "credits". But until you do, ONLY classic settings will be available. This will increase games of more basic set-ups and welcome new players by being able to play them. Also take the premium time things out. Like really? A noob has to pay so he can play a game with 5 min turn lengths? With 24 hours and only 4 games max, with nothing to do for hours he will turn away, finding the site uninteresting and never come back to pay.

If it wasn't for the Mafia forum, I wouldn't have the patience anymore to wait around for turns.
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
User avatar
Lieutenant jak111
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: At your deathbed.
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login