A Question...

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

A Question...

Postby Mr Changsha on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:41 am

If you make an offer of a 3 round non aggression pact in a standard game and the oppo doesn't hit the first round, misses the second and makes no attempt to communicate an acceptance of the deal, do you hit?

I am in this position right now. I might well be able to nail an 8 man game early (so extremely tempted), but can't decide if a non attack after the peace offer was made counts as an acceptance of the deal.

I am genuinely confused about this. I don't break deals..but would you count it? I offered peace, he became peaceful...but he didn't write anything...
Colonel Mr Changsha

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3)

Re: A Question...

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:04 pm

I'd go for it. He never said anything, so it wasn't finalized.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120
Retired Administrator

Medals: 90
Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (9)

Postby JCR on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:17 pm

no handshake = no deal. they can't have their cake and eat it too.
Major JCR

Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (11)

Postby Gunn217 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:23 pm

There is no truce if the guy never accepted. You're golden. I wouldn't imagine there would be a player on the site that wouldn't agree....other than the guy you offered the truce to. He'll gripe about it I'm sure.
Major Gunn217

Medals: 102
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (27) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Postby MoB Deadly on Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:05 pm

+1 to what everyone else said
Art by: pershy | High Score: 2550
Sergeant 1st Class MoB Deadly

Medals: 144
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (17)
General Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (38) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (1)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Of course, once again I am in the minority on this one. :( I would take the non-attack as acceptance of the truce or at least the possibility of it. I suppose I look at the calculated risk of him breaking the truce on you first versus you attacking him first and breaking an understood truce. I have been burnt on this sort of thing in the past but then you just resort to the old "fool me once, fool me twice" adage.
I also suppose there are a lot of factors involved that might help the decision, e.g.; skill level of opponents, how much at mercy you are to the other player if he were to break the possible truce, etc., etc, but all things equal I personally would wait the final turn so you can slay him with a clear conscience. :)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:10 pm

I like upholding truces even if they don't respond so I wouldn't do anything.
Cook Army of GOD

Location: ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby rhp 1 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:13 pm

i would go... not confirmed, and he sounds like a sketchy player anyhow...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:19 pm

rhp 1 wrote:i would go... not confirmed, and he sounds like a sketchy player anyhow...

What makes you think he is sketchy? The fact that he missed a turn?

Aog, you crack me up. I'm pretty sure you agree with my stance but I can't say with all certainty... :lol:
Colonel Funkyterrance

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:20 pm

just think about if you were in his position Changsha.

His 5 month old puppy just died, he's having a tough time at work and his girlfriend recently broke up with him. He cried himself to sleep last Saturday, wishing he could go back and do it all over. The next time he logs in on CC and finds out some anonymous player he put all of his trust and hope into backstabbed him just for the sake of a few imaginary and arbitrary points.

He is defeated both in mind and soul.
Cook Army of GOD

Location: ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby JCR on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:27 pm

Army of GOD wrote:just think about if you were in his position Changsha.

His 5 month old puppy just died, he's having a tough time at work and his girlfriend recently broke up with him. He cried himself to sleep last Saturday, wishing he could go back and do it all over. The next time he logs in on CC and finds out some anonymous player he put all of his trust and hope into backstabbed him just for the sake of a few imaginary and arbitrary points.

So basically you are saying he will be giving him a virtual bitchslapping?!

All the more reason to kick his ass! His girlfriend probably left him because he ran over that poor puppy and is probably miserable at work because they all know he is a crybaby little bitch.
Major JCR

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (11)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:34 pm

I agree with nothing but the part about potentially backstabbing for the sake of a few imaginary and arbitrary points.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby rhp 1 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:i would go... not confirmed, and he sounds like a sketchy player anyhow...

What makes you think he is sketchy? The fact that he missed a turn?

Aog, you crack me up. I'm pretty sure you agree with my stance but I can't say with all certainty... :lol:

yea... pretty much... missin a turn can f-over a proposed alliance as bad as breaking a truce... misses a turn, doesn't agree to the truce... if you offer, and he doesn't accept actively or passively, why would you expect someone to honor it?
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)

Postby rhp 1 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:

I agree with nothing but the part about potentially backstabbing for the sake of a few imaginary and arbitrary points.

and actually... points on CC are neither imaginary nor arbitrary... they are accurate, pointless, meaningless, and unimportant, but neither of your descriptions....
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:52 pm

rhp 1 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

and actually... points on CC are neither imaginary nor arbitrary... they are accurate, pointless, meaningless, and unimportant, but neither of your descriptions....

Meh, tbh I didn't read into his post that much because I now automatically translate aog's posts into english and I knew what he meant so I quoted it.

I would like to know how missing a turn is breaking a truce? Technically he did no such thing and it could have been beyond his control right? The only way he could break the truce would be to attack Mr. Changa.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Robinette on Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Tough one Mr.C...

I would post a message right now asking him to reply, otherwise you will have to assume there is no truce...
Also post a pm his way... then wait till you have only 42 minutes left, NO MORE and NO LESS, this is the accepted 42nd parallel cease fire zone established by the UN in 1952, so once you've crossed over that 42 mark, then you can nuke away... but best to eliminate him totally, lest he return to play his turn and discovers such villainous treachery...

so my answer... sweep the board if you can, otherwise, sit tight.
Brigadier Robinette

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby Mr Changsha on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:20 am

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I would suppose partly this is a moral issue, but it is much more a question of strategy. If I make the move, there is the chance the opposition will take this as an opportunity to 'suicide all over me'. This has happened to me before when I have made moves that are possibly questionable. As an example of this, I once played a no cards 5 man type speed game where I attacked my neighbour in europe (from africa) and not only did I break, but also 'left some troops in'. This annoyed the chap so much that he suicided continuously into me forcing us both to lose the game.

If I break this chap who has missed his turn then both of my main rivals will be broken. There is then a good chance I can win, but if my opposition decides to throw his own game 'in retribution' then I might well lose.

So, I take the view that if you don't declare in public chat that you accept a deal then there is no deal. None at all. But I was interested to see your collective opinions on this to allow me to judge to what extent my view on this is the norm, and therefore the chances of the opposition coming over all suicidal.

Of course, if I am able to win the game then whether this chap's feelings have been hurt is to a great extent irrelevent to me. I just want to win the game. But I don't want to put myself into a position where the game is still in balance and NOW I have a chap determined to throw himself down in retribution. That is an issue for me to consider (is the position strong enough to justify the risk of turning a player suicidal) and will attack on that basis.
Colonel Mr Changsha

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:42 pm

And that is all the more reason to attack.

Kick 'em when they're down.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby rhp 1 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

Meh, tbh I didn't read into his post that much because I now automatically translate aog's posts into english and I knew what he meant so I quoted it.

I would like to know how missing a turn is breaking a truce? Technically he did no such thing and it could have been beyond his control right? The only way he could break the truce would be to attack Mr. Changa.

you need to read a little more closely... I never said missing a turn was breaking a truce... 1st, no truce was agreed upon.... 2nd if you make a truce with someone and then proceed to miss a turn, that could have as big of a negative effect as breaking a truce... those 2 points are why I said that I thought it was cool to roll on through...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby rhp 1 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:50 pm

Mr Changsha wrote:Thanks for your replies everyone.

I would suppose partly this is a moral issue, but it is much more a question of strategy. If I make the move, there is the chance the opposition will take this as an opportunity to 'suicide all over me'. This has happened to me before when I have made moves that are possibly questionable. As an example of this, I once played a no cards 5 man type speed game where I attacked my neighbour in europe (from africa) and not only did I break, but also 'left some troops in'. This annoyed the chap so much that he suicided continuously into me forcing us both to lose the game.

If I break this chap who has missed his turn then both of my main rivals will be broken. There is then a good chance I can win, but if my opposition decides to throw his own game 'in retribution' then I might well lose.

So, I take the view that if you don't declare in public chat that you accept a deal then there is no deal. None at all. But I was interested to see your collective opinions on this to allow me to judge to what extent my view on this is the norm, and therefore the chances of the opposition coming over all suicidal.

Of course, if I am able to win the game then whether this chap's feelings have been hurt is to a great extent irrelevent to me. I just want to win the game. But I don't want to put myself into a position where the game is still in balance and NOW I have a chap determined to throw himself down in retribution. That is an issue for me to consider (is the position strong enough to justify the risk of turning a player suicidal) and will attack on that basis.

wow... you can only think of 1 example of someone vindictively suiciding into you? hahahahahahahahaha
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:03 pm

Mr Changsha wrote:Thanks for your replies everyone.

Ok, all this being considered I would go back to my point about the skill level of your opponent(s). If you are playing against a group of cooks (no offense intended here guys), in my experience they will have a greater tendency to suicide on your ass while a more advanced player may tend to bide his/her time. This is not to say a higher ranked player will not suicide on you, just pray they don't know you personally, Mr.C. :P
The lust for revenge should not be taken lightly.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Return to Conquer Club Discussion