Conquer Club

Worst game settings

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Worst game settings

Postby squishyg on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:47 pm

I know what settings I like, so I started thinking about the settings that would turn this game into a chore.

I think speed, freestyle, trench, adjacent would be the least enjoyable game settings I can imagine. Throw that on Hive and I think I would be driven to deadbeating. Except I don't deadbeat, so I would play that awful, miserable game.
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Re: Worst game settings

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:28 pm

I love adjacent forts and I'm getting used to trench settings but I have always had the opinion that freestyle blows, across the boards. Freestyle just seems a party for farmers and I don't think risk was ever intended to be played that way.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby squishyg on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:54 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:I love adjacent forts and I'm getting used to trench settings but I have always had the opinion that freestyle blows, across the boards. Freestyle just seems a party for farmers and I don't think risk was ever intended to be played that way.

So far, I've only found that I like freestyle in a very particular arena: Sydney Metro, trips. Yes, I know that's weirdly specific.
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:26 am

squishyg wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I love adjacent forts and I'm getting used to trench settings but I have always had the opinion that freestyle blows, across the boards. Freestyle just seems a party for farmers and I don't think risk was ever intended to be played that way.

So far, I've only found that I like freestyle in a very particular arena: Sydney Metro, trips. Yes, I know that's weirdly specific.

It might sound less weird if you explained why. :P
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby laughingcavalier on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:54 pm

squishyg wrote:I know what settings I like, so I started thinking about the settings that would turn this game into a chore.

I think speed, freestyle, trench, adjacent would be the least enjoyable game settings I can imagine. Throw that on Hive and I think I would be driven to deadbeating. Except I don't deadbeat, so I would play that awful, miserable game.

No sleep till Christmas. Stock up on benzedrine before you start.
Major laughingcavalier

Postby rhp 1 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:08 pm

another clueless playing commenting on fs because they don't know how/can't play freestyle...

wow.. don't play at the same time because wars, what the game is based on, are always waged by each party taking turns attacking each other.... wow.. very thoughtful comments by you.. thanx a bunch
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:12 pm

rhp 1 wrote:

another clueless playing commenting on fs because they don't know how/can't play freestyle...

wow.. don't play at the same time because wars, what the game is based on, are always waged by each party taking turns attacking each other.... wow.. very thoughtful comments by you.. thanx a bunch

*smile*
Someone's knickers in a bunch?
Lemme guess, lots of freestyle points under your belt?
You're right I don't have much freestyle experience but I don't see why someone would be so defensive about my statement... It's my personal opinion.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby rhp 1 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:32 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:

*smile*
You're right I don't have much freestyle experience but I don't see why someone would be so defensive about my statement... It's my personal opinion.

sure... and your arguements/oppinions are always so thoughtful and reasoned.... I'll say this much though; when there are only about 40 good freestyle players on here anymore, and only 2 or 3 @ any one time, it does feel a bit like farming when scrubs join my games and it pretty much becomes whack-a-noob for an hour or so... Sure, I'd love it if the site was loaded with good fs players, I'd rather have the competition than the points... but to rally against a particular gameplay is a bit closed minded, but as you said, it's your opinion, regardless of it's validity...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:48 pm

rhp 1 wrote:
sure... and your arguements/oppinions are always so thoughtful and reasoned.... I'll say this much though; when there are only about 40 good freestyle players on here anymore, and only 2 or 3 @ any one time, it does feel a bit like farming when scrubs join my games and it pretty much becomes whack-a-noob for an hour or so... Sure, I'd love it if the site was loaded with good fs players, I'd rather have the competition than the points... but to rally against a particular gameplay is a bit closed minded, but as you said, it's your opinion, regardless of it's validity...

You are always free to challenge my arguments, I welcome your proposed superior reason to any conversation.
But anyway, yeah like I said, it's my opinion and I don't think one post constitutes a rally...
I think you validated my opinion quite well with your above statements though, thanks.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby rhp 1 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:

You are always free to challenge my arguments, I welcome your proposed superior reason to any conversation.
But anyway, yeah like I said, it's my opinion and I don't think one post constitutes a rally...
I think you validated my opinion quite well with your above statements though, thanks.

depends on what you mean by validated... If the people who join my games don't know how to play fs, there's really nothing I can do about that, but I would hardly call it ranching/farming... If you start a seq game and noobs join, is it farming? of course not... most people who are critical of fs gameplay know little about it and start with the "only as good as com/connection speed/ clicking etc., and show their complete ignorance of the actual gameplay involved.. that said, there's really not much I can do about who joins the games I start. If I didn't find seq so incredibly boring, I'd play more of it, but fs is much more fun and interactive and all I can do is start games and hope a solid fs player will join. Though in the last year or so, granted, that's a diminishing prospect...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby nicestash on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:26 pm

Speed is the best. There's nothing like a adrenaline a doodle doo can give you. Wiping out the last opponent in a normal game is boring-half the time I don't even notice I've been eliminated. But when the game is fs and speed, the other guy is sitting at the other side of their computer pounding their fist in frustration as I plow through his defenses.
For those of us who like human interaction, speed and fs is more fun.
Major nicestash

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:32 pm

nicestash wrote:Speed is the best. There's nothing like a adrenaline a doodle doo can give you. Wiping out the last opponent in a normal game is boring-half the time I don't even notice I've been eliminated. But when the game is fs and speed, the other guy is sitting at the other side of their computer pounding their fist in frustration as I plow through his defenses.
For those of us who like human interaction, speed and fs is more fun.

Awesome!

But... if I'm not playing against a human, what am I playing against? :shock:
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:39 pm

rhp 1 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:

depends on what you mean by validated... If the people who join my games don't know how to play fs, there's really nothing I can do about that, but I would hardly call it ranching/farming... If you start a seq game and noobs join, is it farming? of course not... most people who are critical of fs gameplay know little about it and start with the "only as good as com/connection speed/ clicking etc., and show their complete ignorance of the actual gameplay involved.. that said, there's really not much I can do about who joins the games I start. If I didn't find seq so incredibly boring, I'd play more of it, but fs is much more fun and interactive and all I can do is start games and hope a solid fs player will join. Though in the last year or so, granted, that's a diminishing prospect...

Funkyterrance, I think you are missing the point of freestyle. Yes it isn't normal risk, but that isn't what this site is about either, this site is one that has diversity on it, and imo freestyle is the biggest improvement on the game. It makes it much more strategy involved, timing is important, drops, how you play your turn in what order, the speed you can think to counteract, its all very high speed of THINKING as well. It takes a lot to ever become a good freestyle player. Yes I could farm people if I wanted. But that isn't the point. its funa nd I love it.
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:51 pm

swimmerdude99 wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:

Funkyterrance, I think you are missing the point of freestyle. Yes it isn't normal risk, but that isn't what this site is about either, this site is one that has diversity on it, and imo freestyle is the biggest improvement on the game. It makes it much more strategy involved, timing is important, drops, how you play your turn in what order, the speed you can think to counteract, its all very high speed of THINKING as well. It takes a lot to ever become a good freestyle player. Yes I could farm people if I wanted. But that isn't the point. its funa nd I love it.

You had to talk sense, swimmerdude, when everything was going so nicely? :P
I suppose my "across the boards" comment was a bit hasty since I haven't really ever gotten into it seriously. I have to say though that if farming basically boils down to the integrity of the individual (as both you and rhp openly admit) it stands to reason that it's pretty common. I know it happened to me quite a bit when I first started playing on this site...
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:14 pm

But to come back to an earlier point, lets use an analogy so to ensure that no nerves are touched regarding the specific "freestyle" setting.
Let's say that I pick an unpopular map, let's say... Madness or something like that. Most of the time I set up a non-private game on that map it fills up with cooks, etc. and I end up crushing these players with ease. I can say "Is it my fault all these unskilled players joined my game?" but there comes a point where your conscience should kick in and ask "Is this really not farming?". It's one thing if you've got buddies or acquaintances whom you invite to your games where it's more or less an even playing field and everyone has a fair chance, but to continue setting up public games when, odds are, you aren't going to be challenged and will most likely get some easy points out of the deal certainly begs a question.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:43 pm

squishyg wrote:I know what settings I like, so I started thinking about the settings that would turn this game into a chore.

These settings are great on conquest maps. It's the Hive part that's horrible for me! To be honest, normal trench on sequential 1v1 is the most frustrating. If you're dropped even close to a bonus, you can take it without the possibility that the opponent can take it back for the first couple turns, so usually the rest of the game. Trench magnifies the luckiness of drops in sequential.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:36 am

Funkyterrance wrote:But to come back to an earlier point, lets use an analogy so to ensure that no nerves are touched regarding the specific "freestyle" setting.
Let's say that I pick an unpopular map, let's say... Madness or something like that. Most of the time I set up a non-private game on that map it fills up with cooks, etc. and I end up crushing these players with ease. I can say "Is it my fault all these unskilled players joined my game?" but there comes a point where your conscience should kick in and ask "Is this really not farming?". It's one thing if you've got buddies or acquaintances whom you invite to your games where it's more or less an even playing field and everyone has a fair chance, but to continue setting up public games when, odds are, you aren't going to be challenged and will most likely get some easy points out of the deal certainly begs a question.

And to this I say, it isn't farming because you may very well be playing the hardest competition you can get. In my opinion it isn't farming to play something only cooks join, as long as that game is open. If it is open to all and you aren't exclusively doing it with the intention to get noobs then it isn't farming. Take for example, I LOVE conquer rome 1v1 freestyle, no spoils, sunny, 1 min. LOVE it. And even when I lose I've enjoyed them. I would be so bold as to say I'm the best on the site at it. Then again not many people play it, I just have a certain love for it. And I think I've lost 2 or 3 games on those settings out of something close to 15 or 20 games maybe. No I'm not farming because people who don't know the settings join. I'm only farming if there is competition on that specific setting and I purposefully avoid it, either by disallowing players to join or by inviting lower skilled players to join.
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby rhp 1 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:29 am

swimmerdude99 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:But to come back to an earlier point, lets use an analogy so to ensure that no nerves are touched regarding the specific "freestyle" setting.

And to this I say, it isn't farming because you may very well be playing the hardest competition you can get. In my opinion it isn't farming to play something only cooks join, as long as that game is open. If it is open to all and you aren't exclusively doing it with the intention to get noobs then it isn't farming. Take for example, I LOVE conquer rome 1v1 freestyle, no spoils, sunny, 1 min. LOVE it. And even when I lose I've enjoyed them. I would be so bold as to say I'm the best on the site at it. Then again not many people play it, I just have a certain love for it. And I think I've lost 2 or 3 games on those settings out of something close to 15 or 20 games maybe. No I'm not farming because people who don't know the settings join. I'm only farming if there is competition on that specific setting and I purposefully avoid it, either by disallowing players to join or by inviting lower skilled players to join.

+1
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby Chewie1 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:38 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:

*smile*

I have played plenty of freestyle, yes you have to have a certain amount of skill but freestyle is all about how fast your connection is.

You set up a 8 man esc sunny classic game with 8 majors who know how to play the board add freestyle the winner will always be the one with the super fast connection. ALWAYS
Lieutenant Chewie1

Postby Extreme Ways on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:57 am

Let's change the settings for a bit.

Speed, seq, trench, adj, NS, Std BR on Hive. No deadbeating, and all start with 1 territ.
TOFU, ex-REP, ex-VDLL, ex-KoRT.
General Extreme Ways

Postby BlackJayce on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:46 pm

freestyle can be fun. I imagine speed game with freestyle is just the shizzle

i just dont like how it turns from "who has the best strategy" to "who the most time to spend checking CC" sometimes, especially for those normal games.
Sergeant 1st Class BlackJayce

Postby rhp 1 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:50 pm

Chewie1 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:

*smile*

I have played plenty of freestyle, yes you have to have a certain amount of skill but freestyle is all about how fast your connection is.

You set up a 8 man esc sunny classic game with 8 majors who know how to play the board add freestyle the winner will always be the one with the super fast connection. ALWAYS

apparently you aren't good at it then.. you have it backwards... you have to have a certain amount of com and connection speed, and after that it's all about skill strat and reaction time..
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby Ninja Champion on Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:54 pm

the worst game settings I can think of:

Hive, nuclear spoils, trench, foggy, adjacent forts, assassin, manual and freestyle 8 player game with 1 minute turns. Now I just need 7 others to join me :|
Brigadier Ninja Champion

Postby The Voice on Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:25 pm

Ninja Champion wrote:the worst game settings I can think of:

Hive, nuclear spoils, trench, foggy, adjacent forts, assassin, manual and freestyle 8 player game with 1 minute turns. Now I just need 7 others to join me :|

Whoa, wait just a minute! Don't be hatin' on nukes :) There's this exhilarating tactic for freestyle pelo speeders in which you hold nukes you own. Should your opponent's stack come rolling through, cash in your cards just as your opponent takes that specific territory you owned and advances his/her stack.
Major The Voice

Postby mc05025 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:38 pm

Actually these setting are very good. Well, the adjacent does not really fit with Hive but this is not a problem. Just make it escalating to give a reason to players not to run out of time.

If I had a quick connection I would defently play theses settings. They demand very good advanced strategy and speed minimizing the factor of luck. You can easily reach the 1st position if you are good at these settings playhing with all kind of players

Of course I am speaking for 1v1
Field Marshal mc05025

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion