Worst game settings

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Worst game settings

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:43 pm

squishyg wrote:I know what settings I like, so I started thinking about the settings that would turn this game into a chore.

I think speed, freestyle, trench, adjacent would be the least enjoyable game settings I can imagine. Throw that on Hive and I think I would be driven to deadbeating. Except I don't deadbeat, so I would play that awful, miserable game.


These settings are great on conquest maps. It's the Hive part that's horrible for me! To be honest, normal trench on sequential 1v1 is the most frustrating. If you're dropped even close to a bonus, you can take it without the possibility that the opponent can take it back for the first couple turns, so usually the rest of the game. Trench magnifies the luckiness of drops in sequential.

BMO
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 7219
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:42 am
Medals: 90
Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (9)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby swimmerdude99 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:36 am

Funkyterrance wrote:But to come back to an earlier point, lets use an analogy so to ensure that no nerves are touched regarding the specific "freestyle" setting.
Let's say that I pick an unpopular map, let's say... Madness or something like that. Most of the time I set up a non-private game on that map it fills up with cooks, etc. and I end up crushing these players with ease. I can say "Is it my fault all these unskilled players joined my game?" but there comes a point where your conscience should kick in and ask "Is this really not farming?". It's one thing if you've got buddies or acquaintances whom you invite to your games where it's more or less an even playing field and everyone has a fair chance, but to continue setting up public games when, odds are, you aren't going to be challenged and will most likely get some easy points out of the deal certainly begs a question.


And to this I say, it isn't farming because you may very well be playing the hardest competition you can get. In my opinion it isn't farming to play something only cooks join, as long as that game is open. If it is open to all and you aren't exclusively doing it with the intention to get noobs then it isn't farming. Take for example, I LOVE conquer rome 1v1 freestyle, no spoils, sunny, 1 min. LOVE it. And even when I lose I've enjoyed them. I would be so bold as to say I'm the best on the site at it. Then again not many people play it, I just have a certain love for it. And I think I've lost 2 or 3 games on those settings out of something close to 15 or 20 games maybe. No I'm not farming because people who don't know the settings join. I'm only farming if there is competition on that specific setting and I purposefully avoid it, either by disallowing players to join or by inviting lower skilled players to join.
Image

High Score: 2992
User avatar
Major swimmerdude99
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:07 pm
Location: North Carolina
Medals: 87
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14)
General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby rhp 1 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:29 am

swimmerdude99 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:But to come back to an earlier point, lets use an analogy so to ensure that no nerves are touched regarding the specific "freestyle" setting.
Let's say that I pick an unpopular map, let's say... Madness or something like that. Most of the time I set up a non-private game on that map it fills up with cooks, etc. and I end up crushing these players with ease. I can say "Is it my fault all these unskilled players joined my game?" but there comes a point where your conscience should kick in and ask "Is this really not farming?". It's one thing if you've got buddies or acquaintances whom you invite to your games where it's more or less an even playing field and everyone has a fair chance, but to continue setting up public games when, odds are, you aren't going to be challenged and will most likely get some easy points out of the deal certainly begs a question.


And to this I say, it isn't farming because you may very well be playing the hardest competition you can get. In my opinion it isn't farming to play something only cooks join, as long as that game is open. If it is open to all and you aren't exclusively doing it with the intention to get noobs then it isn't farming. Take for example, I LOVE conquer rome 1v1 freestyle, no spoils, sunny, 1 min. LOVE it. And even when I lose I've enjoyed them. I would be so bold as to say I'm the best on the site at it. Then again not many people play it, I just have a certain love for it. And I think I've lost 2 or 3 games on those settings out of something close to 15 or 20 games maybe. No I'm not farming because people who don't know the settings join. I'm only farming if there is competition on that specific setting and I purposefully avoid it, either by disallowing players to join or by inviting lower skilled players to join.



+1
User avatar
Major rhp 1
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby Chewie1 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:38 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I love adjacent forts and I'm getting used to trench settings but I have always had the opinion that freestyle blows, across the boards. Freestyle just seems a party for farmers and I don't think risk was ever intended to be played that way.


another clueless playing commenting on fs because they don't know how/can't play freestyle...

wow.. don't play at the same time because wars, what the game is based on, are always waged by each party taking turns attacking each other.... wow.. very thoughtful comments by you.. thanx a bunch


*smile*
Someone's knickers in a bunch?
Lemme guess, lots of freestyle points under your belt?
You're right I don't have much freestyle experience but I don't see why someone would be so defensive about my statement... It's my personal opinion.



I have played plenty of freestyle, yes you have to have a certain amount of skill but freestyle is all about how fast your connection is.

You set up a 8 man esc sunny classic game with 8 majors who know how to play the board add freestyle the winner will always be the one with the super fast connection. ALWAYS
Image
User avatar
Major Chewie1
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:03 pm
Location: Wiltshire
Medals: 64
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (4)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby Extreme Ways on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:57 am

squishyg wrote:I know what settings I like, so I started thinking about the settings that would turn this game into a chore.

I think speed, freestyle, trench, adjacent would be the least enjoyable game settings I can imagine. Throw that on Hive and I think I would be driven to deadbeating. Except I don't deadbeat, so I would play that awful, miserable game.

Let's change the settings for a bit.

Speed, seq, trench, adj, NS, Std BR on Hive. No deadbeating, and all start with 1 territ.
Image
Highest Rank: Colonel (2680) - 23-07-12
Captain Extreme Ways
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:02 am
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (2) Training Achievement (1)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby BlackJayce on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:46 pm

freestyle can be fun. I imagine speed game with freestyle is just the shizzle


i just dont like how it turns from "who has the best strategy" to "who the most time to spend checking CC" sometimes, especially for those normal games.
Sergeant 1st Class BlackJayce
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:33 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby rhp 1 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:50 pm

Chewie1 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I love adjacent forts and I'm getting used to trench settings but I have always had the opinion that freestyle blows, across the boards. Freestyle just seems a party for farmers and I don't think risk was ever intended to be played that way.


another clueless playing commenting on fs because they don't know how/can't play freestyle...

wow.. don't play at the same time because wars, what the game is based on, are always waged by each party taking turns attacking each other.... wow.. very thoughtful comments by you.. thanx a bunch


*smile*
Someone's knickers in a bunch?
Lemme guess, lots of freestyle points under your belt?
You're right I don't have much freestyle experience but I don't see why someone would be so defensive about my statement... It's my personal opinion.



I have played plenty of freestyle, yes you have to have a certain amount of skill but freestyle is all about how fast your connection is.

You set up a 8 man esc sunny classic game with 8 majors who know how to play the board add freestyle the winner will always be the one with the super fast connection. ALWAYS



apparently you aren't good at it then.. you have it backwards... you have to have a certain amount of com and connection speed, and after that it's all about skill strat and reaction time..
User avatar
Major rhp 1
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby Ninja Champion on Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:54 pm

the worst game settings I can think of:

Hive, nuclear spoils, trench, foggy, adjacent forts, assassin, manual and freestyle 8 player game with 1 minute turns. Now I just need 7 others to join me :|
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeA8taFIA6I&ob=av1e <-- The awesome roots of my account name

Image
User avatar
Brigadier Ninja Champion
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:35 pm
Location: Great Kingdom Castle
Medals: 108
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (19)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (20) Tournament Contribution (2)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby The Voice on Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:25 pm

Ninja Champion wrote:the worst game settings I can think of:

Hive, nuclear spoils, trench, foggy, adjacent forts, assassin, manual and freestyle 8 player game with 1 minute turns. Now I just need 7 others to join me :|


Whoa, wait just a minute! Don't be hatin' on nukes :) There's this exhilarating tactic for freestyle pelo speeders in which you hold nukes you own. Should your opponent's stack come rolling through, cash in your cards just as your opponent takes that specific territory you owned and advances his/her stack.
Image
User avatar
Colonel The Voice
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:37 pm
Location: Location, Location!
Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby mc05025 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:38 pm

squishyg wrote:I know what settings I like, so I started thinking about the settings that would turn this game into a chore.

I think speed, freestyle, trench, adjacent would be the least enjoyable game settings I can imagine. Throw that on Hive and I think I would be driven to deadbeating. Except I don't deadbeat, so I would play that awful, miserable game.


Actually these setting are very good. Well, the adjacent does not really fit with Hive but this is not a problem. Just make it escalating to give a reason to players not to run out of time.

If I had a quick connection I would defently play theses settings. They demand very good advanced strategy and speed minimizing the factor of luck. You can easily reach the 1st position if you are good at these settings playhing with all kind of players

Of course I am speaking for 1v1
User avatar
Colonel mc05025
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:09 pm
Medals: 33
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby mc05025 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Actually any trench escalating 8 players at big map is just stupid. Make it without round limit and you are going to play for ever. Add speed game 5 min and you are going to either deadbeat or kill yourself.

So worst settings ever

Hive (largest map)
8 players (it is better not to be completely clueless so that they will not deadbeat or suicide)
Escalating
Trench
No fog (to make it sure you do not have to calculate anything)
Automatic deployment (to make sure that there will be no early attack 50v50 and that players will be everywhere)
No round limit (to make sure it will be endless)
Speed game 5 min (to forse players stay at the computer for a long time)
Secuential (to make the game even longer and to elliminate the possibility of any elliminations)
adjacent reinforcement (does not really matter)
User avatar
Colonel mc05025
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:09 pm
Medals: 33
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby NoSurvivors on Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:17 pm

mc05025 wrote:Actually any trench escalating 8 players at big map is just stupid. Make it without round limit and you are going to play for ever. Add speed game 5 min and you are going to either deadbeat or kill yourself.

So worst settings ever

Hive (largest map)
8 players (it is better not to be completely clueless so that they will not deadbeat or suicide)
Escalating
Trench
No fog (to make it sure you do not have to calculate anything)
Automatic deployment (to make sure that there will be no early attack 50v50 and that players will be everywhere)
No round limit (to make sure it will be endless)
Speed game 5 min (to forse players stay at the computer for a long time)
Secuential (to make the game even longer and to elliminate the possibility of any elliminations)
adjacent reinforcement (does not really matter)


In pls :)
User avatar
Cook NoSurvivors
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 10:25 am
Medals: 80
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (3) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (5)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:36 pm

swimmerdude99 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:But to come back to an earlier point, lets use an analogy so to ensure that no nerves are touched regarding the specific "freestyle" setting.
Let's say that I pick an unpopular map, let's say... Madness or something like that. Most of the time I set up a non-private game on that map it fills up with cooks, etc. and I end up crushing these players with ease. I can say "Is it my fault all these unskilled players joined my game?" but there comes a point where your conscience should kick in and ask "Is this really not farming?". It's one thing if you've got buddies or acquaintances whom you invite to your games where it's more or less an even playing field and everyone has a fair chance, but to continue setting up public games when, odds are, you aren't going to be challenged and will most likely get some easy points out of the deal certainly begs a question.


And to this I say, it isn't farming because you may very well be playing the hardest competition you can get. In my opinion it isn't farming to play something only cooks join, as long as that game is open. If it is open to all and you aren't exclusively doing it with the intention to get noobs then it isn't farming. Take for example, I LOVE conquer rome 1v1 freestyle, no spoils, sunny, 1 min. LOVE it. And even when I lose I've enjoyed them. I would be so bold as to say I'm the best on the site at it. Then again not many people play it, I just have a certain love for it. And I think I've lost 2 or 3 games on those settings out of something close to 15 or 20 games maybe. No I'm not farming because people who don't know the settings join. I'm only farming if there is competition on that specific setting and I purposefully avoid it, either by disallowing players to join or by inviting lower skilled players to join.


I suppose the question is whether or not you can technically not be farming but still get the same results and benefits of a farmer. Why not create private games if you know full well what competition you will draw in an open game? It's obvious at this point that no one is pleading ignorance to the fact that there is little competition in this type of game.
I like using analogies to try and clarify my point:

Lets say you are at a grocery store and you put a quarter in a gumball machine and out drops your gumball. On a whim you turn the knob again and another gumball drops out. Again, another drops out. Ok now you can do a few things: you can keep turning the handle and getting free gumballs, you can call the manager to get someone to fix the machine so that you have to pay another quarter for another game or you can leave the machine entirely. It does seem a bit like stealing if you keep coming back for more gumballs. This is basically what farmers do. An outright farmer jams a screwdriver into the machine to break it but the passive farmer just says "hey, its not my fault the machine is broken.". Both are still farmers IMHO.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby swimmerdude99 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:11 pm

The problem is, if I create private speed games for freestyle of settings not many people like, no one will ever join. You can call it "unintentional farming" if you want to, but to me farming IS intentional, so to me it can't be any form of farming. I play because I enjoy those game types, so I'm not going to feel bad about it. and I really can't say anything that you have said changes my opninon. I wish I could say that I had competition, I love a good game, check my chats if you like, I ask the good players and the ones who beat me, to play me again cause I get bored of playing losers. Freestyle isn't a farming player type. In my opinion it is just the higher skilled players type. Not saying people who can't play it are any less of a player, but I think the real elites on here can play can play both speed freestyle and normal games. If you can't play speed freestyle, try going to a friends house with a good connection, and try it. See if what you stay still stands. Its not all about the connection, trust me, it tooke me many games to learn how to play. And I still respect those better than me. I know that its about how good you are, speed has something to do with it but not everything. Its about how you play the match, more so than any sequential game you play 1v1.
Image

High Score: 2992
User avatar
Major swimmerdude99
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:07 pm
Location: North Carolina
Medals: 87
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14)
General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:22 am

mc05025 wrote:Actually any trench escalating 8 players at big map is just stupid. Make it without round limit and you are going to play for ever.


I generally agree with this. Really, games without Round Limits I usually avoid in general.


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25352
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby rhp 1 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:23 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
swimmerdude99 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:But to come back to an earlier point, lets use an analogy so to ensure that no nerves are touched regarding the specific "freestyle" setting.
Let's say that I pick an unpopular map, let's say... Madness or something like that. Most of the time I set up a non-private game on that map it fills up with cooks, etc. and I end up crushing these players with ease. I can say "Is it my fault all these unskilled players joined my game?" but there comes a point where your conscience should kick in and ask "Is this really not farming?". It's one thing if you've got buddies or acquaintances whom you invite to your games where it's more or less an even playing field and everyone has a fair chance, but to continue setting up public games when, odds are, you aren't going to be challenged and will most likely get some easy points out of the deal certainly begs a question.


And to this I say, it isn't farming because you may very well be playing the hardest competition you can get. In my opinion it isn't farming to play something only cooks join, as long as that game is open. If it is open to all and you aren't exclusively doing it with the intention to get noobs then it isn't farming. Take for example, I LOVE conquer rome 1v1 freestyle, no spoils, sunny, 1 min. LOVE it. And even when I lose I've enjoyed them. I would be so bold as to say I'm the best on the site at it. Then again not many people play it, I just have a certain love for it. And I think I've lost 2 or 3 games on those settings out of something close to 15 or 20 games maybe. No I'm not farming because people who don't know the settings join. I'm only farming if there is competition on that specific setting and I purposefully avoid it, either by disallowing players to join or by inviting lower skilled players to join.


I suppose the question is whether or not you can technically not be farming but still get the same results and benefits of a farmer. Why not create private games if you know full well what competition you will draw in an open game? It's obvious at this point that no one is pleading ignorance to the fact that there is little competition in this type of game.
I like using analogies to try and clarify my point:

Lets say you are at a grocery store and you put a quarter in a gumball machine and out drops your gumball. On a whim you turn the knob again and another gumball drops out. Again, another drops out. Ok now you can do a few things: you can keep turning the handle and getting free gumballs, you can call the manager to get someone to fix the machine so that you have to pay another quarter for another game or you can leave the machine entirely. It does seem a bit like stealing if you keep coming back for more gumballs. This is basically what farmers do. An outright farmer jams a screwdriver into the machine to break it but the passive farmer just says "hey, its not my fault the machine is broken.". Both are still farmers IMHO.



the problem with your analogy is I'm the one who OWNS the gumball machine... and the people who join my games are putting quarters in and NOT getting any gumballs even though in a perfect world, they should... they are the one's that should raise the issue about the broken machine to someone who can do something about it, not me... I just wanna play the game and settings that I like to play... or get money outta the gumball machine at the end of the day to take the analogy to it's conclusion....
User avatar
Major rhp 1
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:24 pm

swimmerdude99 wrote:The problem is, if I create private speed games for freestyle of settings not many people like, no one will ever join. You can call it "unintentional farming" if you want to, but to me farming IS intentional, so to me it can't be any form of farming. I play because I enjoy those game types, so I'm not going to feel bad about it. and I really can't say anything that you have said changes my opninon. I wish I could say that I had competition, I love a good game, check my chats if you like, I ask the good players and the ones who beat me, to play me again cause I get bored of playing losers. Freestyle isn't a farming player type. In my opinion it is just the higher skilled players type. Not saying people who can't play it are any less of a player, but I think the real elites on here can play can play both speed freestyle and normal games. If you can't play speed freestyle, try going to a friends house with a good connection, and try it. See if what you stay still stands. Its not all about the connection, trust me, it tooke me many games to learn how to play. And I still respect those better than me. I know that its about how good you are, speed has something to do with it but not everything. Its about how you play the match, more so than any sequential game you play 1v1.


I'll consent to the term "unintentional farming", swimmerdude99. I think it's a very good term tbh since it suggests farming points without necessarily nefarious intent.


rhp 1 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
swimmerdude99 wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:But to come back to an earlier point, lets use an analogy so to ensure that no nerves are touched regarding the specific "freestyle" setting.
Let's say that I pick an unpopular map, let's say... Madness or something like that. Most of the time I set up a non-private game on that map it fills up with cooks, etc. and I end up crushing these players with ease. I can say "Is it my fault all these unskilled players joined my game?" but there comes a point where your conscience should kick in and ask "Is this really not farming?". It's one thing if you've got buddies or acquaintances whom you invite to your games where it's more or less an even playing field and everyone has a fair chance, but to continue setting up public games when, odds are, you aren't going to be challenged and will most likely get some easy points out of the deal certainly begs a question.


And to this I say, it isn't farming because you may very well be playing the hardest competition you can get. In my opinion it isn't farming to play something only cooks join, as long as that game is open. If it is open to all and you aren't exclusively doing it with the intention to get noobs then it isn't farming. Take for example, I LOVE conquer rome 1v1 freestyle, no spoils, sunny, 1 min. LOVE it. And even when I lose I've enjoyed them. I would be so bold as to say I'm the best on the site at it. Then again not many people play it, I just have a certain love for it. And I think I've lost 2 or 3 games on those settings out of something close to 15 or 20 games maybe. No I'm not farming because people who don't know the settings join. I'm only farming if there is competition on that specific setting and I purposefully avoid it, either by disallowing players to join or by inviting lower skilled players to join.


I suppose the question is whether or not you can technically not be farming but still get the same results and benefits of a farmer. Why not create private games if you know full well what competition you will draw in an open game? It's obvious at this point that no one is pleading ignorance to the fact that there is little competition in this type of game.
I like using analogies to try and clarify my point:

Lets say you are at a grocery store and you put a quarter in a gumball machine and out drops your gumball. On a whim you turn the knob again and another gumball drops out. Again, another drops out. Ok now you can do a few things: you can keep turning the handle and getting free gumballs, you can call the manager to get someone to fix the machine so that you have to pay another quarter for another game or you can leave the machine entirely. It does seem a bit like stealing if you keep coming back for more gumballs. This is basically what farmers do. An outright farmer jams a screwdriver into the machine to break it but the passive farmer just says "hey, its not my fault the machine is broken.". Both are still farmers IMHO.



the problem with your analogy is I'm the one who OWNS the gumball machine... and the people who join my games are putting quarters in and NOT getting any gumballs even though in a perfect world, they should... they are the one's that should raise the issue about the broken machine to someone who can do something about it, not me... I just wanna play the game and settings that I like to play... or get money outta the gumball machine at the end of the day to take the analogy to it's conclusion....


The focus of my analogy is not on who owns the gumball machine, it's on the taking of the "free" gumballs.
We can discuss your different analogy if you want but I don't think you will like the conclusion of that one either...
In your analogy you are the owner of a gumball machine that doesn't work or your customer at least doesn't get out of your gumball machine what he/she is lead to believe they will. So let's say you have one of those rigged claw machines to be more accurate? Your machine takes people's money all day long and they very rarely get anything in exchange. You are knowingly running a machine that is, in effect, "farming" rubes of their money. This seems at best a lateral move from my own analogy.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby rhp 1 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:21 pm

LOL...

my analogy was actually awful.. drunk and tired at the time and forgot I typed it... the simple fact is, ranching/farming is a definitional construct of this site... I start games with settings that I like to play and that's pretty much it.. your argument seems to be that people really shouldn't do that, because it's possible (or possibly likely) that people who join them (in a public setting of their own free will) might not have the skills or tools to put up a decent fight... My only response would be, so? How can I possibly control who joins my games? I start the games I enjoy playing, someone joins, I win... sorry? I'm not going to stop making them because the likelihood of a good fs player joining has diminished over recent times... I wish that wasn't the case.... It really is a ridiculous thing to argue about.. but I (shockingly, no sarcasm here) understand your position...
User avatar
Major rhp 1
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:27 pm

rhp 1 wrote:LOL...

my analogy was actually awful.. drunk and tired at the time and forgot I typed it... the simple fact is, ranching/farming is a definitional construct of this site... I start games with settings that I like to play and that's pretty much it.. your argument seems to be that people really shouldn't do that, because it's possible (or possibly likely) that people who join them (in a public setting of their own free will) might not have the skills or tools to put up a decent fight... My only response would be, so? How can I possibly control who joins my games? I start the games I enjoy playing, someone joins, I win... sorry? I'm not going to stop making them because the likelihood of a good fs player joining has diminished over recent times... I wish that wasn't the case.... It really is a ridiculous thing to argue about.. but I (shockingly, no sarcasm here) understand your position...


Yeah, I'm not out for blood either, tbh. The only reason I started the whole explanation is that people were objecting to the idea that these types of games were opportunistic to farming which I felt I had to defend. I don't think I ever claimed that only deliberate farmers play these types of games. I just feel that if someone continues to create these games knowing that odds are, they are going to be at least passively farming points by doing so, they can at least submit to this fact. I'm basically just exercising my right to call a spade a spade. ;)
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby swimmerdude99 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:11 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:LOL...

my analogy was actually awful.. drunk and tired at the time and forgot I typed it... the simple fact is, ranching/farming is a definitional construct of this site... I start games with settings that I like to play and that's pretty much it.. your argument seems to be that people really shouldn't do that, because it's possible (or possibly likely) that people who join them (in a public setting of their own free will) might not have the skills or tools to put up a decent fight... My only response would be, so? How can I possibly control who joins my games? I start the games I enjoy playing, someone joins, I win... sorry? I'm not going to stop making them because the likelihood of a good fs player joining has diminished over recent times... I wish that wasn't the case.... It really is a ridiculous thing to argue about.. but I (shockingly, no sarcasm here) understand your position...


Yeah, I'm not out for blood either, tbh. The only reason I started the whole explanation is that people were objecting to the idea that these types of games were opportunistic to farming which I felt I had to defend. I don't think I ever claimed that only deliberate farmers play these types of games. I just feel that if someone continues to create these games knowing that odds are, they are going to be at least passively farming points by doing so, they can at least submit to this fact. I'm basically just exercising my right to call a spade a spade. ;)

I guess the problem with this is that FARMING. Is illegal on this site. That means we are cheating even if we are doing so "passively." Therefore I have to disagree and just say that its as if a map was created that is too hard for anyone but me to understand so I mop up the competition on just standard 24 hour games. Am I farming? no. I'm just better than everyone on the site. Am I so called "passively farming?" still yes. So that is why I take issue with your claim. Is it farming for guys like Kaskavel to play Hive 1v1 against people? no it really isn't, they are good players. Is it passively farming? Yes, they don't have many people their skill level. Basically what it comes down to is your position puts the BLAME on the good players and say because they win, they are farming. Instead I put the blame on the other players. People don't want to take the time, energy, and brain power to learn the way that ljex, rhp, Krapht, fusibaseball, and some others play in freestyle settings. You can't blame them for being good. Thats what Politics do to successful people. :roll: thats for another thread.
But really you have to realize at some point or another, whatever you feel like calling it, it isn't the fault of hte good freestyle players for destroying every opponent. If its an open match and they don't foe every good player, then they aren't farming. Plain and simple. They can be beat, and if you are tired of people's "passive farming" its time for you to work your butt off to become as good as they are. You think they bought their new internet system hopped on and won games? heck no. They had to learn like anyone else.
Being good at 1v1 freestyle speed, or any other type, takes dedication and skill. I don't play those games as much or as often as the pros do, so I'm not as good. Its that simple, they are better than me. Do they "passively farm?" sure, but get a different name. Farming is against the site rules, freestyle speed players don't do that, they are experts at a game type, just like anyone else.
Image

High Score: 2992
User avatar
Major swimmerdude99
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:07 pm
Location: North Carolina
Medals: 87
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14)
General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby tzor on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:28 am

Funkyterrance wrote:I love adjacent forts and I'm getting used to trench settings but I have always had the opinion that freestyle blows, across the boards. Freestyle just seems a party for farmers and I don't think risk was ever intended to be played that way.


The only thing I've seen that was similiar to freestyle and still workable was a variation on a non online risk game. Basically it was a pseudo-trench warfare style where the attacks were queued and in theory all took place at the same time after all the players recorded their actions. In that variation you had to indicate the number of troops you were going to dedicate for the attack and the number you were leaving behind. Those troops behind were important because someone else could attack the territory you were attacking from (you could even attack each other). The idea, while interesting was exceptionally complex to code, I would imagine, given all the possible scenarios you could do.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant tzor
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:43 pm
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:54 pm

tzor wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I love adjacent forts and I'm getting used to trench settings but I have always had the opinion that freestyle blows, across the boards. Freestyle just seems a party for farmers and I don't think risk was ever intended to be played that way.


The only thing I've seen that was similiar to freestyle and still workable was a variation on a non online risk game. Basically it was a pseudo-trench warfare style where the attacks were queued and in theory all took place at the same time after all the players recorded their actions. In that variation you had to indicate the number of troops you were going to dedicate for the attack and the number you were leaving behind. Those troops behind were important because someone else could attack the territory you were attacking from (you could even attack each other). The idea, while interesting was exceptionally complex to code, I would imagine, given all the possible scenarios you could do.


This actually sounds pretty cool.^

As far as freestyle is concerned, I still feel that if you want a fast action game there are way better options like ping pong for instance. :lol:
Is anyone going to argue that their strategy is more advanced in freestyle than the strategy they use in standard?
It's like speed chess, the player that wins doesn't necessarily have better strategy, they are just faster. Not that there isn't skill involved in being a good freestyle player, it's just a different skill set than the ones needed to be a good risk player.
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby Fewnix on Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:33 pm

Nuke Assassin Fog Freestyle Speed Adjacent Trench 20 round limit ?? 4 player??
Image
Lieutenant Fewnix
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:15 am
Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (1)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:34 pm

tzor wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I love adjacent forts and I'm getting used to trench settings but I have always had the opinion that freestyle blows, across the boards. Freestyle just seems a party for farmers and I don't think risk was ever intended to be played that way.


The only thing I've seen that was similiar to freestyle and still workable was a variation on a non online risk game. Basically it was a pseudo-trench warfare style where the attacks were queued and in theory all took place at the same time after all the players recorded their actions. In that variation you had to indicate the number of troops you were going to dedicate for the attack and the number you were leaving behind. Those troops behind were important because someone else could attack the territory you were attacking from (you could even attack each other). The idea, while interesting was exceptionally complex to code, I would imagine, given all the possible scenarios you could do.


The PC game called "Risk The Game" (or something) does this. IIRC, it was the "simultaneous turns" option.


(I'm pretty sure it was Risk for PC...) Anyway, the code's there!
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Worst game settings

Postby rhp 1 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:55 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
tzor wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I love adjacent forts and I'm getting used to trench settings but I have always had the opinion that freestyle blows, across the boards. Freestyle just seems a party for farmers and I don't think risk was ever intended to be played that way.


The only thing I've seen that was similiar to freestyle and still workable was a variation on a non online risk game. Basically it was a pseudo-trench warfare style where the attacks were queued and in theory all took place at the same time after all the players recorded their actions. In that variation you had to indicate the number of troops you were going to dedicate for the attack and the number you were leaving behind. Those troops behind were important because someone else could attack the territory you were attacking from (you could even attack each other). The idea, while interesting was exceptionally complex to code, I would imagine, given all the possible scenarios you could do.


This actually sounds pretty cool.^

As far as freestyle is concerned, I still feel that if you want a fast action game there are way better options like ping pong for instance. :lol:
Is anyone going to argue that their strategy is more advanced in freestyle than the strategy they use in standard?
It's like speed chess, the player that wins doesn't necessarily have better strategy, they are just faster. Not that there isn't skill involved in being a good freestyle player, it's just a different skill set than the ones needed to be a good risk player.




haha.. you make my point for me.. yes.. the strat is about the same in a lot ways (with variations)... you have to have all the knowledge of seq strat and apply it to a miniscule time frame and think, act, and react in seconds... it's far more difficult mentally than seq... I don't even think this is debatable...
User avatar
Major rhp 1
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2)

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login