The D Day map is historically incorrect

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: The D Day map is historically incorrect

Postby Jippd on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:05 am

chapcrap wrote:
Jippd wrote:I'm not sure if it is a flaw or not. I'm just saying that I think any map should be improved if it will improve game play and everyone agrees that it will.

Well, I agree with that statement. I don't think it would improve gameplay for this map.

What would? I think you think I said something should be changed but I didn't. My original post was just stating that I think that maps should be changed if it improves them. I then also made another statement saying that I agreed that the D-day map was decided by the bunkers. Two separate statements in one post.
Brigadier Jippd

Medals: 104
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (15)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (19) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11)

Postby swimmerdude99 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:18 am

D-day as is, is one of my favorite maps, if you are going to revamp it, then make an entirely new map, it would really stink to take a map some people really like the way it is to shift it to be historically accurate and change the gameplay. Just make a new map if you want somehting more "Accurate" to real life. I don't think it's fair to the mapmaker or to the process it took to get the map here. Also you can consider this, had this been brought up, WOULD the creator be forced to change the map to fit the standards? I would like to think a bit of creativity and the idea the mapmaker had would be respected and allowed to continue.

High Score: 2992
Major swimmerdude99

Medals: 91
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:22 am

swimmerdude99 wrote:D-day as is, is one of my favorite maps, if you are going to revamp it, then make an entirely new map, it would really stink to take a map some people really like the way it is to shift it to be historically accurate and change the gameplay.

The map, if ever revamped would leave the gameplay alone. But I see no reason why a new map based on the D-Day landings that is more accurate could not be made.

In fact, it should be a lot of fun do to.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973

Medals: 117
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (10)

Postby chapcrap on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:59 am

Jippd wrote:
chapcrap wrote:
Jippd wrote:I'm not sure if it is a flaw or not. I'm just saying that I think any map should be improved if it will improve game play and everyone agrees that it will.

Well, I agree with that statement. I don't think it would improve gameplay for this map.

What would? I think you think I said something should be changed but I didn't. My original post was just stating that I think that maps should be changed if it improves them. I then also made another statement saying that I agreed that the D-day map was decided by the bunkers. Two separate statements in one post.

I agree with this:

AND

I don't think D-Day fits that category for me. I wasn't saying that you wanted it changed.
Captain chapcrap

Medals: 168
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (17) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Postby notyou2 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:02 pm

betiko wrote:lol, interesting post! Nevertheless I think lots of maps are not historically/geographically correct anyway, gameplay prevails.

You're just saying this because you're from France and it was your country that was invaded.
Lieutenant notyou2

Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (1)

Postby Chewie1 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:21 pm

betiko wrote:lol, interesting post! Nevertheless I think lots of maps are not historically/geographically correct anyway, gameplay prevails.

Exactly.... why on Das Schloss is there not Clint Eastwood leant up against a post shooting all the germans.

(From the film Where Eagles Dare for you noobs)
Captain Chewie1

Medals: 66
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (5)

Postby persianempire on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:22 pm

based on all these posts , it might be an even better idea to start up a new D-day map completely. this was the largest invasion of europe ever and i think the possibilitys could be endless. Respect still shown for the time and effort put in by the peoples who made the original ,but a 2nd more accurate 'battle relevant' map for the hardcore ww2 fans , i think they would all love it and give alot of input. That would be alot of work , dunno if thers any brave souls out their willing to start from scratch...
Major persianempire

Medals: 35
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:26 am

There is definitely room for another D-Day map that has a grander or more accurate scope. I'd like to see and would certainly give the limited input I have, if anyone wrangled the idea!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby notyou2 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:59 pm

What if there were 5 maps, one for each beach....gold, sword, juno, omaha and utah? Then a map that combined all 5?
Lieutenant notyou2

Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (1)

Postby sparkyball on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:43 pm

swimmerdude99 wrote:D-day as is, is one of my favorite maps, if you are going to revamp it, then make an entirely new map, it would really stink to take a map some people really like the way it is to shift it to be historically accurate and change the gameplay. Just make a new map if you want somehting more "Accurate" to real life. I don't think it's fair to the mapmaker or to the process it took to get the map here. Also you can consider this, had this been brought up, WOULD the creator be forced to change the map to fit the standards? I would like to think a bit of creativity and the idea the mapmaker had would be respected and allowed to continue.

+1
Lieutenant sparkyball

Medals: 47
Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby Gillipig on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:05 pm

Oh my lord!! This can't be true!! What a Catastrophy!!!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby chapcrap on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Gillipig wrote:Oh my lord!! This can't be true!! What a Catastrophy!!!

Do you mean catastrophe?

Either way, I think the original discussion that was brought up is a good one. There have been multiple debates in the Foundry over maps' fairness and equal game play versus portions of the map that give a clear advantage. This is happening on Cricket, Rail Europe, Dust Bowl, etc. I think the question is whether or not some imbalance is good or not.
Captain chapcrap

Medals: 168
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (17) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Postby Gillipig on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:02 pm

chapcrap wrote:
Gillipig wrote:Oh my lord!! This can't be true!! What a Catastrophy!!!

Do you mean catastrophe?

Either way, I think the original discussion that was brought up is a good one. There have been multiple debates in the Foundry over maps' fairness and equal game play versus portions of the map that give a clear advantage. This is happening on Cricket, Rail Europe, Dust Bowl, etc. I think the question is whether or not some imbalance is good or not.

And my answer is the same, with or without misspelling, the truth is......... NO ONE GIVES A f*ck!!!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:45 pm

koontz1973 wrote:The map, if ever revamped would leave the gameplay alone. But I see no reason why a new map based on the D-Day landings that is more accurate could not be made.

In fact, it should be a lot of fun do to.

Yup, and I think the OP should be the one to do it.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Next

Return to General Discussion