Is Trench Being Used for Evil?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Is Trench Being Used for Evil?

Postby richwwtk on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:00 am

I don't play tournaments and rarely play team games but that's obviously just my choice. I enjoy playing games here at CC and, since joining, have discovered that I really enjoy the Feudal Epic and War maps. I have settings I find more fun, namely Fog Trench with Flat Rate and unlimited reinforcements but I do join games on other settings.

When I'm setting up my own speed games I enjoy Feudal War, Fog Trench, Unlimited, 20 rounds and one minute as it makes for a fast, fun game. It amazes me when people join a game out of their own free will and then bitch and moan about the settings. Nobody asked them to join! game 12215604 being a real case in point. Surely, if you don't like the way a game is set up just don't join or am I missing something?

P.S. Not played board Risk in years but it in Europe (UK at least) it always used to be Non-Trench and flat rate as standard.
Captain richwwtk

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby betiko on Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:36 am

richwwtk wrote:I don't play tournaments and rarely play team games but that's obviously just my choice. I enjoy playing games here at CC and, since joining, have discovered that I really enjoy the Feudal Epic and War maps. I have settings I find more fun, namely Fog Trench with Flat Rate and unlimited reinforcements but I do join games on other settings.

When I'm setting up my own speed games I enjoy Feudal War, Fog Trench, Unlimited, 20 rounds and one minute as it makes for a fast, fun game. It amazes me when people join a game out of their own free will and then bitch and moan about the settings. Nobody asked them to join! game 12215604 being a real case in point. Surely, if you don't like the way a game is set up just don't join or am I missing something?

P.S. Not played board Risk in years but it in Europe (UK at least) it always used to be Non-Trench and flat rate as standard.

I'm not quite sre about trench actually, but flat rate for sure (with soldiers, canons and cavalry), haven't played itin ages either. I just don't remember it was possible to sweep the board so easily.
Also I remember there was a gamemode with objectives, which could be to kill a certain player or to control 2 given continents for 1 round.

And funky, yes you are implying that trench is probably a farmer mode. You are not affirming, but you are suggesting it could be, and the title of the thread just proves where you are trying to go to. Just try it out, it's not that complicated it's just a whole new way of thinking your strategy.
General betiko

Medals: 163
Conquer Cup Gold Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18) General Achievement (31) Clan Achievement (12) Training Achievement (2)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:32 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
betiko wrote:trench is very interesting but can be way more bitchy than normal settings with shit dice. it's all about the position, and sometimes you just fail with a huge stack vs a small one, you lose a position and a bonus or fail to break the opponent's and it's basically game over for you. On some maps if you start second you are basically fucked unless the opponent gets a major dicefail.

I would say that knowing this alone would be enough for an experienced trench player to completely obliterate a newer/inexperienced player?
I realize that there is always an advantage gained by experienced player over an inexperienced but this setting just seems to tip the scale to the point where even amazing dice would not lead a new player to victory. Perhaps a warning flag is in order?

So, let me get this straight.

Since someone is new to a particular setting and is playing against a more advanced player, then that advanced player must be labeled as a farmer, thus warned?

Why bother? Unless you assume that all new players are (1) so idiotic that they will continue to join games with the alleged farmers, and (2) they do not at all enjoy playing such games--even though they may lose most of them, then your position starts to make sense.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby Gillipig on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:36 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
betiko wrote:trench is very interesting but can be way more bitchy than normal settings with shit dice. it's all about the position, and sometimes you just fail with a huge stack vs a small one, you lose a position and a bonus or fail to break the opponent's and it's basically game over for you. On some maps if you start second you are basically fucked unless the opponent gets a major dicefail.

I would say that knowing this alone would be enough for an experienced trench player to completely obliterate a newer/inexperienced player?
I realize that there is always an advantage gained by experienced player over an inexperienced but this setting just seems to tip the scale to the point where even amazing dice would not lead a new player to victory. Perhaps a warning flag is in order?

Since someone is new to a particular setting and is playing against a more advanced player, then that advanced player must be labeled as a farmer, thus warned?

Why bother? Unless you assume that all new players are (1) so idiotic that they will continue to join games with the alleged farmers, and (2) they do not at all enjoy playing such games--even though they may lose most of them, then your position starts to make sense.

You're too curvy to get anything straight BBS, he never said anything about it being farming.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby Chariot of Fire on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:50 pm

I wear my trenchcoat when I go out flashing. Is that evil?
Highest position #5 (18 Nov 2010) General 4,380pts (11 Dec 2010)
General Chariot of Fire

Medals: 90
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (21) General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (26)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:56 am

Gillipig wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

You're too curvy to get anything straight BBS, he never said anything about it being farming.

Sure, he didn't say it directly, but he is insinuating it; otherwise, what would the "warning flag" be about?
And his arguments mirror those against 'farming' as well.

It's hard not to notice the similarity--unless one is from Sweden. My apologies, my good man! :D
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:54 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

Sure, he didn't say it directly, but he is insinuating it; otherwise, what would the "warning flag" be about?
And his arguments mirror those against 'farming' as well.

It's hard not to notice the similarity--unless one is from Sweden. My apologies, my good man! :D

:lol: :lol:
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 136
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (19)
General Achievement (15) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (31)

Previous

Return to Conquer Club Discussion