In Defense of Dice Complainers: Reasonable Doubt

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: In Defense of Dice Complainers: Reasonable Doubt

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:56 pm

The thing about randomness is that it is defined by unpredictabilty. Let's assume there is an infinite, and random, stream of dice. In that infinite random stream, there is contained an infinite stream of 1s. So it is entirely possible to roll nothing but 1s for your entire life.

Proof: If the longest stream of 1s is only 564 1s long, then we know that the 565th roll is not a 1, and it is therefore not random.
show
Corporal DoomYoshi
Entertainment Coordinator

Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (5)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:29 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:The thing about randomness is that it is defined by unpredictabilty. Let's assume there is an infinite, and random, stream of dice. In that infinite random stream, there is contained an infinite stream of 1s. So it is entirely possible to roll nothing but 1s for your entire life.

Proof: If the longest stream of 1s is only 564 1s long, then we know that the 565th roll is not a 1, and it is therefore not random.

Indeed, its' possible. But what's more likely: rolling 1's for the rest of your life in a random situation or the existence of a rigged or not-random system?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:33 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:The thing about randomness is that it is defined by unpredictabilty. Let's assume there is an infinite, and random, stream of dice. In that infinite random stream, there is contained an infinite stream of 1s. So it is entirely possible to roll nothing but 1s for your entire life.

Indeed, its' possible. But what's more likely: rolling 1's for the rest of your life in a random situation or the existence of a rigged or not-random system?

That's not an accurate description of the situation here. CC and its dice mechanism together are not random, in that one can control one's probability of winning a game by playing better--given the constraints of a random setting (e.g. the dice). In other words, although the dice are random, the player's decisions and capabilities are not random, so this is neither a "random situation" nor a "rigged or not-random system." Your dichotomy falls apart like the fortresses of so many ignoble kings.

On Dice Complainers: A Never Ending Trial of Self-Perceived Tribulations
When people condemn the system as 'rigged', many of them may be overlooking the fact that their strategy and their decisions were suboptimal. And, it seems that a large group of people are almost always more likely to blame one's environment (the 'rigged' dice system) instead of blaming oneself for poor decision-making. Of course, the blame they make might not be 100% on dice and 0% on one's decisions, but it seems that of that large group of dice complainers, they attribute too little blame on themselves. A further problem is their confirmation bias, which has been dealt with numerous times by the valid criticizers like natty dread.

Besides, it also psychologically rewarding to vent one's frustration while filtering out valid criticism in order to receive the desired sympathy from other dice complainers. Many dice complainers could be tapping themselves into this "positive" feedback loop with its negative unintended consequences.

Nonetheless, I look forward to the day when more and more people control for their cognitive bias, assess the situation from a more objective viewpoint, and consequentially make the necessary changes to improve themselves and others.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:01 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Indeed, its' possible. But what's more likely: rolling 1's for the rest of your life in a random situation or the existence of a rigged or not-random system?

That's not an accurate description of the situation here. CC and its dice mechanism together are not random, in that one can control one's probability of winning a game by playing better--given the constraints of a random setting (e.g. the dice). In other words, although the dice are random, the player's decisions and capabilities are not random, so this is neither a "random situation" nor a "rigged or not-random system." Your dichotomy falls apart like the fortresses of so many ignoble kings.

I was only following Yoshi's train of thought here and asking him a question comparing his extreme scenario to mine and I believe showing that his was certainly more far fetched and therefore useless as a counter. I never claimed it was a "this or that" scenario, however. It could very well be somewhere in-between.

BigBallinStalin wrote:On Dice Complainers: A Never Ending Trial of Self-Perceived Tribulations
When people condemn the system as 'rigged', many of them may be overlooking the fact that their strategy and their decisions were suboptimal. And, it seems that a large group of people are almost always more likely to blame one's environment (the 'rigged' dice system) instead of blaming oneself for poor decision-making. Of course, the blame they make might not be 100% on dice and 0% on one's decisions, but it seems that of that large group of dice complainers, they attribute too little blame on themselves. A further problem is their confirmation bias, which has been dealt with numerous times by the valid criticizers like natty dread.

Besides, it also psychologically rewarding to vent one's frustration while filtering out valid criticism in order to receive the desired sympathy from other dice complainers. Many dice complainers could be tapping themselves into this "positive" feedback loop with its negative unintended consequences.

Nonetheless, I look forward to the day when more and more people control for their cognitive bias, assess the situation from a more objective viewpoint, and consequentially make the necessary changes to improve themselves and others.

Again, while our ever so keen impressions of what is actually going on with regard to dice complainers may suggest to us otherwise, I am arguing reasonable doubt. I am arguing that supposition is not strong enough evidence to consistently treat dice complainers much like the lowliest mental patient and we the presiding doctors.
Last edited by Funkyterrance on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby SaMejoHn on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
SaMejoHn wrote:Why doesn't everyone just do what I do and talk it over with their therapist? But personally the more games I play the worse my dice. As far as the dice goes, my only complaint is the patterns/streak of misfortune. How can something advertised as random be consistently bad for a while and then consistently good for a while? That is the only part that gets to me :lol: . I read so much here about selective memory and all that great stuff. but I never forget the times my dice came through big time in clutch. In fact, if i didn't try to forget all the moments of bad dice i wouldnt even be on this site. but that's just me. so is that really as big a factor as others posit it to be?

Here we have an example of the classic long term dice victim. He has been berated so badly by his fellow players that he has actually started to believe he is to blame for his misfortune. How delicious this must be for his torturer, if he/she does indeed exist.
lol no one has berated me...this is first time im posting about dice. and only did so because i have more of a question than a complaint...(which was answered.) i dont approve of being labeled as "long term dice victim"
Major SaMejoHn

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:33 pm

SaMejoHn wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
Here we have an example of the classic long term dice victim. He has been berated so badly by his fellow players that he has actually started to believe he is to blame for his misfortune. How delicious this must be for his torturer, if he/she does indeed exist.
lol no one has berated me...this is first time im posting about dice. and only did so because i have more of a question than a complaint...(which was answered.) i dont approve of being labeled as "long term dice victim"

It might be in your best interest to accept this title as being a major you would have to be a pretty decent player to overcome this affliction.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby SaMejoHn on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:09 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
SaMejoHn wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

It might be in your best interest to accept this title as being a major you would have to be a pretty decent player to overcome this affliction.
lol hmmm... you are right. EVERYDAY MY DICE IS SHIT. Everyone else has SOOO much better dice than me. Im here now because im afraid to take turns.. f*ck CC AND THE BULLSHIT DICE.
Major SaMejoHn

Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:22 pm

SaMejoHn wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:It might be in your best interest to accept this title as being a major you would have to be a pretty decent player to overcome this affliction.
lol hmmm... you are right. EVERYDAY MY DICE IS SHIT. Everyone else has SOOO much better dice than me. Im here now because im afraid to take turns.. f*ck CC AND THE BULLSHIT DICE.

Now you're talking.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby generalhead on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:52 pm

I am pissed off about how random the dice are. This is bullshit. Some times I get good dice and sometimes I get bad dice.
What the f*ck is up with that?.....
Some times my opponents get good dice and sometimes they get bad dice? I don't understand this bullshit!....

Maybe I should have started a new thread for this?
Sergeant generalhead

Medals: 64
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (7) Challenge Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (14) General Contribution (1)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:02 pm

generalhead wrote:I am pissed off about how random the dice are. This is bullshit. Some times I get good dice and sometimes I get bad dice.
Some times my opponents get good dice and sometimes they get bad dice? I don't understand this bullshit!....

I'll have to say I've never encountered a dice complainer complaining about the randomness itself. I'm afraid you are beyond my area of expertise, generalhead. I do however have the number of a guy across town who specializes in insanity pleas. ;)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby chang50 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:41 pm

generalhead wrote:I am pissed off about how random the dice are. This is bullshit. Some times I get good dice and sometimes I get bad dice.

Maybe I should have started a new thread for this?

lol....satire is the best way to treat this subject.. =D> =D> =D> =D>
Lieutenant chang50

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby x-raider on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:57 am

Funkyterrance wrote:

I believe the question depends entirely if you "believe" in randomness. If you do believe in randomness, then the possibility of such a scenario appearing in a sort of nested randomness could be entirely possible. Maybe even probable.

It's so weird I can't even tell if it is a conspiracy theory
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Postby donkeymile on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:37 pm

I haven't complained for a long time ... but after the fucking bullshit tonight I am going to.

19v2 ... hit auto ... ends 3v2 .... 16 straight losses in a row .... pure bullshit .... astronomical odds of that happening ... guess I should have played the fucking lottery tonight.

Next turn its 9v2 ... ends 3v2 ... 22 straight losses. f*ck this ....

Forgot to mention ... my defense currently stands at

5 wins and 25 losses 3v2
4 wins and 14 losses 3v1

f*ck this ... love dropping hundreds of points with fucking shit dice and nothing to do with strategy ... makes one reconsider the upgrade again
Captain donkeymile

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby SaMejoHn on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:47 pm

donkeymile wrote:I haven't complained for a long time ... but after the fucking bullshit tonight I am going to.

19v2 ... hit auto ... ends 3v2 .... 16 straight losses in a row .... pure bullshit .... astronomical odds of that happening ... guess I should have played the fucking lottery tonight.

5 wins and 25 losses 3v2
4 wins and 14 losses 3v1

f*ck this ... love dropping hundreds of points with fucking shit dice and nothing to do with strategy ... makes one reconsider the upgrade again
PREACH!! also did you recently lose possession of a rabbit's foot?
Major SaMejoHn

Postby donkeymile on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:51 pm

lost the rabbits foot ... and the horseshoe fell out of my ass ... also forgot to sacrifice 13 virgins for the dice gods before every turn ... gotta love the unofficial Cc rules for getting decent dice
Captain donkeymile

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby SaMejoHn on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:11 pm

donkeymile wrote:lost the rabbits foot ... and the horseshoe fell out of my ass ... also forgot to sacrifice 13 virgins for the dice gods before every turn ... gotta love the unofficial Cc rules for getting decent dice
13 virgins...lol where im from thats a tall order! but anyways, does anyone else want this dilemma...well for starters my low expectation of dice makes me unable to decide whether to commit to the auto-assault or the regular assault. Assuming i lose in both scenarios, then the auto-assault is one big fatal punch whereas the regular assault button is continuous jabs until i finally succumb to dice failure. I cant decide which is more humane. What do you guys think?
Major SaMejoHn

Postby Just_essence on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:32 pm

Well, there is a difference between what most players consider random and what the physics of the world considers random (Otherwise known as actually random, regardless of whether the randomness has been an asshole to anyone):
Physics/Math/Mother Nature/The Universe considers something to be truly random when all things have an equal chance of being selected in the process. As long as that condition is fulfilled, it doesn't give a metric f**kton about what the actual results are. It only cares whether the process is random or not, and so, if you get sixty-two 1's in a row, as long as the process is random, those results are "random".
However, players like you or I cannot understand, nor observe, nor visualize the process of choosing a random number. Therefore, we can only base our observations on the results we get, and we must recognize that what we use to determine randomness and what true randomness is are not the same two things, and, at times, what seems to not be random is actually random, however counter-intuitive. If we get the aforementioned sixty-two 1's in a row, we cannot see the process of choosing those sixty-two 1's, and therefore don't know if it's random or not, and it could be and could be not, but we can't just say "It's rigged" or "There may exist a bias somewhere in the process" until we observe the process for ourselves. Of course, about 0 people here want to drive over to random.org's HQ and hear atmospheric noise for days on end, so we can only trust that it's random. And so far, due to the LLN (Law of Large Numbers), it has been shown to most likely be random.
Private Just_essence

Medals: 1
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby SaMejoHn on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:41 pm

Just_essence wrote:Well, there is a difference between what most players consider random and what the physics of the world considers random (Otherwise known as actually random, regardless of whether the randomness has been an asshole to anyone):
Physics/Math/Mother Nature/The Universe considers something to be truly random when all things have an equal chance of being selected in the process. As long as that condition is fulfilled, it doesn't give a metric f**kton about what the actual results are. It only cares whether the process is random or not, and so, if you get sixty-two 1's in a row, as long as the process is random, those results are "random".
However, players like you or I cannot understand, nor observe, nor visualize the process of choosing a random number. Therefore, we can only base our observations on the results we get, and we must recognize that what we use to determine randomness and what true randomness is are not the same two things, and, at times, what seems to not be random is actually random, however counter-intuitive. If we get the aforementioned sixty-two 1's in a row, we cannot see the process of choosing those sixty-two 1's, and therefore don't know if it's random or not, and it could be and could be not, but we can't just say "It's rigged" or "There may exist a bias somewhere in the process" until we observe the process for ourselves. Of course, about 0 people here want to drive over to random.org's HQ and hear atmospheric noise for days on end, so we can only trust that it's random. And so far, due to the LLN (Law of Large Numbers), it has been shown to most likely be random.
wow! what a buzz kill :sick:
Major SaMejoHn

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:00 am

Just_essence wrote:Well, there is a difference between what most players consider random and what the physics of the world considers random (Otherwise known as actually random, regardless of whether the randomness has been an asshole to anyone):

Beautifully written and has the added benefit of raising reasonable doubt. You're welcome anytime, JE.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:38 pm

donkeymile wrote:I haven't complained for a long time ... but after the fucking bullshit tonight I am going to.

5 wins and 25 losses 3v2
4 wins and 14 losses 3v1

Don't tell me your problems. I just lost 27 troops taking out a 1 and a 3.

There isn't a word for it.
Captain Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 133
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (19)
General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby SaMejoHn on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:12 am

:-s
Dukasaur wrote:

5 wins and 25 losses 3v2
4 wins and 14 losses 3v1

Random? :lol:
Major SaMejoHn

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:38 am

SaMejoHn wrote::-s
Dukasaur wrote:

5 wins and 25 losses 3v2
4 wins and 14 losses 3v1

:lol: :lol:
Captain Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 133
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (19)
General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:24 am

SaMejoHn wrote::-s
Dukasaur wrote:

5 wins and 25 losses 3v2
4 wins and 14 losses 3v1

I'd say Karma.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:20 pm

x-raider wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

I believe the question depends entirely if you "believe" in randomness. If you do believe in randomness, then the possibility of such a scenario appearing in a sort of nested randomness could be entirely possible. Maybe even probable.

It's so weird I can't even tell if it is a conspiracy theory

Not really :(

The thing is that any finite stream in an infinite stream has a 0% chance of being drawn. So there is actually no chance you roll 1s for the rest of your life. There is no chance you roll anything either, which is one of the problems of dealing with infinite, random numbers.
show
Corporal DoomYoshi

Medals: 72
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (5)

Postby Just_essence on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:08 pm

I believe, however, that the "rolling 1's for the rest of your life" referred to a finite section inside an infinite stream, not a finite stream inside an infinite stream, which is completely possible.
Private Just_essence

Medals: 1
Ratings Achievement (1)

Next

Return to General Discussion