How much effort is worth it?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: How much effort is worth it?

Postby Mr Changsha on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:55 pm

Vid_FISO wrote:Approaching 6 hours since I first looked at a current escalating quads position, I'm down to one terit but have a set to play. I've printed out a blank map and filled in where I know most of the oppo terits are with reference to BoB snaps over the past few rounds.

The one I'd most like to take out for another set to cash is too far spread, the next to play may or may not have a set, but all terits are just about accessible and would need poor dice for me not to make the kill. Unfortunately that doesn't give me a set to cash this round, but will for the next round, if I/ we don't get wiped out before then which comes down to whether my ideal target has a set or not. I could conceivably take out one of my own team along with the next to play that would give me at least one set, possibly two, but it's pushing it even with good dice and would require splitting my stack at some point, game winner if it comes off though. Well, that's assuming that I can work out what to do next in the remaining time available.

Irrespective of the game position, is one game worth 6+ hours thought? Especially as the first couple of attacks might make all the thought that's gone in totally irrelevant with bad dice.


I like to consider a position for 5 minutes in the morning, maybe a little after lunch, a quick glance after dinner and then finally play the turn in the evening.

I feel that having the position in the background of my mind through the day helps me to make the best move. Personally, I have found extremely focused consideration over a long period of time (and I have done it) to be counterproductive. One begins to second guess oneself...

I tell you what I look for in a teammate.

A player who takes his time over the actual turn. A player who takes 10 minutes+ over their move (when it is required) is one I like to play with, for it shows that the player is evaluating and re-evaluating the position after every roll. Players that play complicated moves in 35 seconds absolutely bemuse me..and frankly more often than not they ARE making mistakes, or at least missing opportunities that are presenting themselves as the move develops.

This type of play can be best seen in those 'hit the next man fort to the next man' brainless types..they are almost always the ones who play their turns in a matter of seconds.
Image
User avatar
Colonel Mr Changsha
 
Posts: 1658
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:42 am
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3)

Re: How much effort is worth it?

Postby jsnyder748 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Mr Changsha wrote:I like to consider a position for 5 minutes in the morning, maybe a little after lunch, a quick glance after dinner and then finally play the turn in the evening.

I feel that having the position in the background of my mind through the day helps me to make the best move. Personally, I have found extremely focused consideration over a long period of time (and I have done it) to be counterproductive. One begins to second guess oneself...

I tell you what I look for in a teammate.

A player who takes his time over the actual turn. A player who takes 10 minutes+ over their move (when it is required) is one I like to play with, for it shows that the player is evaluating and re-evaluating the position after every roll. Players that play complicated moves in 35 seconds absolutely bemuse me..and frankly more often than not they ARE making mistakes, or at least missing opportunities that are presenting themselves as the move develops.

This type of play can be best seen in those 'hit the next man fort to the next man' brainless types..they are almost always the ones who play their turns in a matter of seconds.


count me in this group. must be why I lose so many games.
Image
User avatar
Colonel jsnyder748
 
Posts: 792
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:56 pm
Location: BIG RED NEBRASKA - UNL - Electrical Engineering
Medals: 89
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (14)

Re: How much effort is worth it?

Postby Mr Changsha on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:50 pm

jsnyder748 wrote:
Mr Changsha wrote:I like to consider a position for 5 minutes in the morning, maybe a little after lunch, a quick glance after dinner and then finally play the turn in the evening.

I feel that having the position in the background of my mind through the day helps me to make the best move. Personally, I have found extremely focused consideration over a long period of time (and I have done it) to be counterproductive. One begins to second guess oneself...

I tell you what I look for in a teammate.

A player who takes his time over the actual turn. A player who takes 10 minutes+ over their move (when it is required) is one I like to play with, for it shows that the player is evaluating and re-evaluating the position after every roll. Players that play complicated moves in 35 seconds absolutely bemuse me..and frankly more often than not they ARE making mistakes, or at least missing opportunities that are presenting themselves as the move develops.

This type of play can be best seen in those 'hit the next man fort to the next man' brainless types..they are almost always the ones who play their turns in a matter of seconds.


count me in this group. must be why I lose so many games.


Well interestingly, I was writing of sequential, trips, no cards, sunny, chained...which is both a game of gentleman and the game I currently play.

Now your 51% win rate at this game is not exactly brainless (I will give you that) but it has hardly contributed to that rank of yours.

So if you are indeed the kind of player who plays sequentially very, very quickly and you are a firm advocate of the 'hit the next man fort to the next man' strategy then your results would be just about where I would expect them to be.

Now no doubt you are very good at another form of the game, but I must just say that you certainly aren't all that good at the game I play which, if I may remind you, certainly requires a lot of thought.
Last edited by Mr Changsha on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Colonel Mr Changsha
 
Posts: 1658
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:42 am
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3)

Re: How much effort is worth it?

Postby 40kguy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Mr Changsha wrote:
jsnyder748 wrote:
Mr Changsha wrote:I like to consider a position for 5 minutes in the morning, maybe a little after lunch, a quick glance after dinner and then finally play the turn in the evening.

I feel that having the position in the background of my mind through the day helps me to make the best move. Personally, I have found extremely focused consideration over a long period of time (and I have done it) to be counterproductive. One begins to second guess oneself...

I tell you what I look for in a teammate.

A player who takes his time over the actual turn. A player who takes 10 minutes+ over their move (when it is required) is one I like to play with, for it shows that the player is evaluating and re-evaluating the position after every roll. Players that play complicated moves in 35 seconds absolutely bemuse me..and frankly more often than not they ARE making mistakes, or at least missing opportunities that are presenting themselves as the move develops.

This type of play can be best seen in those 'hit the next man fort to the next man' brainless types..they are almost always the ones who play their turns in a matter of seconds.


count me in this group. must be why I lose so many games.


Well interestingly, I was writing of sequential, trips, no cards, sunny, chained...which is both a game of gentleman and the game I currently play.

Now your 51% win rate at this game is not exactly brainless (I will give you that) but it has hardly contributed that to that rank of yours.

So if you are indeed the kind of player who plays sequentially very, very quickly and you are a firm advocate of the 'hit the next man fort to the next man' strategy then your results would be just about where I would expect them to be.

Now no doubt you are very good at another form of the game, but I must just say that you certainly aren't all that good at the game I play which, if I may remind you, certainly requires a lot of thought.

thinking hurts my brain though...
Image
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class 40kguy
 
Posts: 1757
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:39 am
Medals: 55
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (5)

Re: How much effort is worth it?

Postby trevor33 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:26 pm

No longer than an hour but those occasions are very rare now, mainly on esc 8 player games and because hate auto-attack.
User avatar
Major trevor33
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:30 am
Location: With the fairies.
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (11)


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login