Conquer Club

Why Don't More People Take Up Freestyle?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Why Don't More People Take Up Freestyle?

Postby Tenebrus on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:19 am

xiangwang wrote:
Tenebrus wrote:That's right, but the difference is that the "strategy" requires you being around in the last hour - hence, the alarm clock/absence of social life. All the strategy in the world isn't going to help you if you don't take your turns at the right time. In speed fs, everyone is there and the playing field is level. In 24 hr fs it's really all about who can be there at the right time.

Not necessarily true. There were some games where I knew I couldn't be around so I had to plan my turn in accordance (aka heavily guard the objective) or beat down the player who had a shot of reaching it to ensure he doesn't reach it. But this is in an objective setting, in most freestyle standard matches, doesn't exist. Not a big deal not to go last.

Not necessarily true, of course. But often true, and playing defensively in that way has consequences that often make it harder to actually win. It's true often enough to make it a large part of that setting, which is what I hate about it.
Lieutenant Tenebrus

Postby Tenebrus on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:21 am

jsnyder748 wrote:
Tenebrus wrote:That's right, but the difference is that the "strategy" requires you being around in the last hour - hence, the alarm clock/absence of social life. All the strategy in the world isn't going to help you if you don't take your turns at the right time. In speed fs, everyone is there and the playing field is level. In 24 hr fs it's really all about who can be there at the right time.

right, and that is why you make sure to control the game from round 1. If i take my turn at midnight every night then almost every night of the week I will be up at that time.

speed of course has nothing to do with this though

Yeah, I just think a setting that requires that you're up, at your computer and playing CC at the same time every day of the week is a good setting.

I personally hate it, and it's terrible for casual players and people who aren't willing to sit at their computer at the same time, every day - i.e. everyone who isn't using the 24hr fs setting to farm points. It's much, much worse than a complex map, or speed fs for casual players because there's no level playing field.
Lieutenant Tenebrus

Postby jsnyder748 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:41 am

Tenebrus wrote:
jsnyder748 wrote:

right, and that is why you make sure to control the game from round 1. If i take my turn at midnight every night then almost every night of the week I will be up at that time.

speed of course has nothing to do with this though

Yeah, I just think a setting that requires that you're up, at your computer and playing CC at the same time every day of the week is a good setting.

I personally hate it, and it's terrible for casual players and people who aren't willing to sit at their computer at the same time, every day - i.e. everyone who isn't using the 24hr fs setting to farm points. It's much, much worse than a complex map, or speed fs for casual players because there's no level playing field.

I don't take it seriously (turn wise) unless good players join. In games where I am unfortunate enough to have many unskilled players I try to tell them general tips and help them to not suicide. I use these games for medals and to keep my score where it is currently. I couldn't play so many random high risk standard games if I didn't have a fall back (freestyle) Which I truly do enjoy.
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby Tenebrus on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:07 am

Yeah, but my point is that the "tips" on 24hr fs are "don't go to bed", "always log in to CC at the same time every day", and those aren't tips that a casual player can really take on board, or should have to take on board. A speed freestyle game you can give strategy tips, or people can get faster with practice. I wasn't calling you a farmer at all, I just think it's a lulzy, inherently farmy setting that is discouraging to casual and new players and that the game would be better off with it removed.
Lieutenant Tenebrus

Postby jsnyder748 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:43 pm

Tenebrus wrote:Yeah, but my point is that the "tips" on 24hr fs are "don't go to bed", "always log in to CC at the same time every day", and those aren't tips that a casual player can really take on board, or should have to take on board. A speed freestyle game you can give strategy tips, or people can get faster with practice. I wasn't calling you a farmer at all, I just think it's a lulzy, inherently farmy setting that is discouraging to casual and new players and that the game would be better off with it removed.

That is the case for some, yes, but when i joined I was looking for something like casual freestyle. People will either have the time to be serious or they wont and then they quit the setting. Tips are all I can give until they actually show interest then I can explain in more detail what it is all about.
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby Shannon Apple on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:36 am

Honest reply? When I was a corporal/sargeant, the first person I played 1 v 1 freestyle goaded me into joining the game with them, then said "you shouldn't have done that." Said person was a colonel. Of course they won almost immediately, then bytched in the chatroom about how great they were and how noob I am while linking the game to everyone in there. Big achievement with the rank difference, really! That was pretty much it for me, can't be bothered to this day if that's what the people who play fs are like. I am not saying they are farmers, but that felt like farming to me. Big turn off.

I stick to sequential, there is way less room for getting farmed. I am also not the fastest player with not the fastest internet connection, so I have no desire to learn it either.

In 24 hr sequential, you are forced to think more about what your next move will be because the other person has equal time to think about theirs. I actually prefer to contend with luck over speed. Those are my reasons.
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:47 am

Shannon Apple wrote: I stick to sequential, there is way less room for getting farmed. I am also not the fastest player with not the fastest internet connection, so I have no desire to learn it either.

In 24 hr sequential, you are forced to think more about what your next move will be because the other person has equal time to think about theirs. I actually prefer to contend with luck over speed. Those are my reasons.

I don't have great internet either and I run YouTube and Skype at the same time as playing speed freestyle, doesn't seem to have an affect on my playing speed.

In speed freestyle you have exactly the same amount of time to think about your move as your opponent(s), obviously, as round times are the same for everyone. You have to think quickly, decide on the best strategy and execute it quickly.

In most circumstances, I am forced to think more about my move in a speed freestyle than sequential and make a quick decision because my opponent(s) is(are) moving at the same time; I might not have time to defend a key area, or if I move too early my stack will get taken out etc. In a sequential game I can reinforce to bolster defences and get my armies where they need to be before the opponent can do anything about it.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Shannon Apple on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:37 am

Well, let's put it this way. I have one of the worst connections there is. I also said that I wasn't the fastest player, meaning slow trigger finger. There is no chance in hell someone like me could beat someone who has spent a long time perfecting a particular map on fs settings. No chance. lol.

Also, just like me you have no fs medals, so you haven't beaten a lot of people on fs yet. Not saying you won't, but you have yet to really test it to see which you are better at. :P
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:46 am

Shannon Apple wrote:Well, let's put it this way. I have one of the worst connections there is. I also said that I wasn't the fastest player, meaning slow trigger finger. There is no chance in hell someone like me could beat someone who has spent a long time perfecting a particular map on fs settings. No chance. lol.

Also, just like me you have no fs medals, so you haven't beaten a lot of people on fs yet. Not saying you won't, but you have yet to really test it to see which you are better at. :P

Fair enough. It's a completely different style of play and obviously not favoured by most, although I suspect a lot are put off for reasons already discussed and not willing to try it.

I don't, but I will soon. ;)
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby rhp 1 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:40 am

Shannon Apple wrote:Honest reply? When I was a corporal/sargeant, the first person I played 1 v 1 freestyle goaded me into joining the game with them, then said "you shouldn't have done that." Said person was a colonel. Of course they won almost immediately, then bytched in the chatroom about how great they were and how noob I am while linking the game to everyone in there. Big achievement with the rank difference, really! That was pretty much it for me, can't be bothered to this day if that's what the people who play fs are like. I am not saying they are farmers, but that felt like farming to me. Big turn off.

I stick to sequential, there is way less room for getting farmed. I am also not the fastest player with not the fastest internet connection, so I have no desire to learn it either.

"Goaded"... cute... lol

What you probably meant to say was that that person jokingly asked you to join a game and you (in your words)" thought it would be fun".... guess you didn't... sorry? And yeah... points are a real big concern of mine on here, so I make sure I only play people I know I can beat... without exception...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby Shannon Apple on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Oh Geez R, touchy. Who said that was you that did that? No one.

I think someone is paranoid! XD
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Hmm, could it have been this game? Game 11836057
Wow, I don't know how you could be turned off from freestyle playing that game, it sounded like so much fun! :lol:

Yeah, perhaps some of the regular freestylers out there are shooting themselves in the foot? If you guys aren't concerned with points, why not play using the drop-down in your first few games against a new player or something? That might be a little bit more encouraging to a new player and you could end up ultimately having more people to play with.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby rhp 1 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:48 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:Oh Geez R, touchy. Who said that was you that did that? No one.

I think someone is paranoid! XD

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone's not tryin to get ya... and ur clearly talking about me... I had actually forgot we played tbh... had a hunch and shockingly took the time to look it up... all good though. I dont mind the passive aggressive attack from time to time and your post was mildly entertaining to read... but if you want ur points back... fire up a game... invite me... and ill join it and forget to take turns...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby xiangwang on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:32 am

Tenebrus wrote:Yeah, but my point is that the "tips" on 24hr fs are "don't go to bed", "always log in to CC at the same time every day", and those aren't tips that a casual player can really take on board, or should have to take on board. A speed freestyle game you can give strategy tips, or people can get faster with practice. I wasn't calling you a farmer at all, I just think it's a lulzy, inherently farmy setting that is discouraging to casual and new players and that the game would be better off with it removed.

nah...I can still go to bed. You just have to look at 24 hours Freestyle in 2 ways. Do I need to play first or second this round or can I wait to play in the last few hours then plan your day accordingly. If you have few games then it's not hard to plan your life around it and if it's not possible then just work your best to mitigate potential losses.
Brigadier xiangwang

Postby Shannon Apple on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:40 am

R, you're so easy. LOL. You can be an unbearable person when it comes to bragging about things you shouldn't really brag about, so it's fun to poke fun at you. :P

@Xiangwang: That's also a big no no. Planning my life around CC for games. Hell no thanks lol. I like to be able to just log in and play whenever I feel like it, so long as it's once every 24 hours. Sure if someone asks me to be there at X time to discuss team moves that's different, but watching turns like that is like watching paint dry. I have played less than 10 freestyle games because I realised that if you aren't there to take the turn, then you're screwed. speed games are all about the speed. I am terrible at tetris, just as an example. Once it starts getting fast, I am screwed.

I left an MMO for exactly that reason. I was a top player and it had taken over my life. Most people like to be able to play a game casually and not take it that seriously. With sequential, you can still be competitive, join in tournies and have fun without CC becoming an important part of your life.

If I found myself factoring CC into my daily routine, then I would stop playing because then it's not just a game anymore. It's an addiction.
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:40 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:
I left an MMO for exactly that reason.

Which one???
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby rhp 1 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:54 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:R, you're so easy. LOL. You can be an unbearable person when it comes to bragging about things you shouldn't really brag about, so it's fun to poke fun at you. :P

@Xiangwang: That's also a big no no. Planning my life around CC for games. Hell no thanks lol. I like to be able to just log in and play whenever I feel like it, so long as it's once every 24 hours. Sure if someone asks me to be there at X time to discuss team moves that's different, but watching turns like that is like watching paint dry. I have played less than 10 freestyle games because I realised that if you aren't there to take the turn, then you're screwed. speed games are all about the speed. I am terrible at tetris, just as an example. Once it starts getting fast, I am screwed.

I left an MMO for exactly that reason. I was a top player and it had taken over my life. Most people like to be able to play a game casually and not take it that seriously. With sequential, you can still be competitive, join in tournies and have fun without CC becoming an important part of your life.

If I found myself factoring CC into my daily routine, then I would stop playing because then it's not just a game anymore. It's an addiction.

I have so many things to brag about it gets very confusing and complicated as to which one to pick... so on here I try to keep it relevant to CC... I'm not trying to brag about real life shit and have a bunch of computer nerds commit mass suicide realizing how monumentally pathetic their existence is... present company excluded of course...
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby NoSurvivors on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:14 am

rhp 1 wrote:I have so many things to brag about it gets very confusing and complicated as to which one to pick... so on here I try to keep it relevant to CC...

What bubb means by that is that he happens to make the best Sheppard's Pie this side of the muffin factory, and that he has the worlds second largest stamp collection. He is also an accomplished flute player.
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:19 am

NoSurvivors wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:I have so many things to brag about it gets very confusing and complicated as to which one to pick... so on here I try to keep it relevant to CC...

What bubb means by that is that he happens to make the best Sheppard's Pie

:lol:
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby rhp 1 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:27 am

NoSurvivors wrote:

What bubb means by that is that he happens to make the best Sheppard's Pie this side of the muffin factory, and that he has the worlds second largest stamp collection. He is also an accomplished flute player.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:58 pm

rhp 1 wrote:
NoSurvivors wrote:

Cmon, the shepherd's pie part was pretty good. ;)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby rhp 1 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:40 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
rhp 1 wrote:
NoSurvivors wrote:

Cmon, the shepherd's pie part was pretty good. ;)

totally agree... hence the laughing my ass off... Nos is usually pretty solid with the witty reparte (sp?)
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby NoSurvivors on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:15 pm

rhp 1 wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

He laughs because he doesn't want everyone to know his secrets.. check the notices he left on my wall just now. He is angry at me for blowing it.

Its ok though bubb, we can always go out for a danish to make you feel better..

-Glorious Leader
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby rhp 1 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Still waitin on my fuckin danish u fkn tease
Lieutenant rhp 1

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:54 pm

Give me a danish too!
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion