Account sitting in the Conquer Cup

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Account sitting in the Conquer Cup

Postby ManBungalow on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:05 pm

http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?mode=cup1

Account sitting is forbidden in Conquer Cup games

What's the deal with that?

The Cup can take a while to fill up, and each game/round can take weeks.

So if I've planned to go away for a weekend more than a month from now, I might as well not bother joining, right? Try missing a turn in an escalating game when the card cashes are high.

We all know the merits of having an account sitter, and when they might be necessary.

The only two and a half concerns I can imagine with account sitting in the Conquer Cup games are as follows:
A] Having a sitter who is an inordinately better player
B] Potential for abuse when account sitting as an opposing player in a game your friend is in
Bii] Taking over an account Blitzaholic/jobiwan style in order to have a greater chance at winning the iPad or whatever

A] I don't think this is a legitimate problem, as any strong player could hypothetically dictate instructions to a succumbing player without being in the game in question
B] This is but an example of where a site-integrated sitting tool would solve the problem - or potential for problem
Colonel ManBungalow

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Re: Account sitting in the Conquer Cup

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:09 pm

It's probably because there's a prize involved. The temptation is sometimes too great for some when there "stuff" at stake.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby ManBungalow on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:30 pm

Yes, but even so...

If it were my aim to win the 'stuff' and attain it by illegal account sitting practices, I guess I'd enter myself (as in my account) but also arrange with person X to sit his account, too. And share the prize (if won) with person X. Or hope that my account and my pseudo-account are in the same game (eg. the final) and gang up on the other players. And so on.

How is this different from secret diplomacy or dictating instructions to a player, having decided to split the prize ultimately? Or however you want to look at it.

Would you rather have kiron and xiangwang in a Conquer Cup game against you, or let my account sitter take one or two turns when I have to be away for a few days?
Colonel ManBungalow

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:57 pm

ManBungalow wrote:Yes, but even so...

If it were my aim to win the 'stuff' and attain it by illegal account sitting practices, I guess I'd enter myself (as in my account) but also arrange with person X to sit his account, too. And share the prize (if won) with person X. Or hope that my account and my pseudo-account are in the same game (eg. the final) and gang up on the other players. And so on.

How is this different from secret diplomacy or dictating instructions to a player, having decided to split the prize ultimately? Or however you want to look at it.

Would you rather have kiron and xiangwang in a Conquer Cup game against you, or let my account sitter take one or two turns when I have to be away for a few days?

This was enacted before me, but I think it has to do with principle (and no, a Kiron-xiangwang scenario would also not be acceptable).

Specifically, if you're going to win a prize, lack wanted to make sure that the account holders' decisions were what would make or break a game. Most of the gray areas were already covered by current site practices, but the one that wasn't was when people would sit accounts. To rectify this, he simply made sitting illegal so now everyone's gameplay was (ideally) representative of the person behind the username -- the one that might be getting a prize.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120
Retired Administrator

Medals: 90
Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (9)

Postby maxfaraday on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:50 pm

Account sitting should be forbidden unless it's REALLY necessary, and I can't find many instances of when this would be the case.
There are too many ways to abuse this rule.
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby ManBungalow on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:40 pm

maxfaraday wrote:Account sitting should be forbidden unless it's REALLY necessary, and I can't find many instances of when this would be the case.
There are too many ways to abuse this rule.

Do you mean generally, or specifically in the Conquer Cup?

EDIT: adding a comma to that sentence so it doesn't make less sense
Colonel ManBungalow

Return to General Discussion