Conquer Club

Latest crazy map from the foundry

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Latest crazy map from the foundry

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:53 pm

If there isn't you are just trolling. It's a map with a religious theme done within a respectful historical framework.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Symmetry on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:01 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
Change the topic to should maps have religious overtones on them, you will get a debate worth having.

Hmm, I'm sorry, but no. I don't even like that the topic has been moved away from the forum most able to discuss it. This is already a compromise. Now set out your points.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:06 pm

The only point to make here now is this is even the wrong forum/thread to discus this. Will see if it can be moved to foundry discussions.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Butters1919 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:08 pm

Symmetry wrote:Hmm, I'm sorry, but no. I don't even like that the topic has been moved away from the forum most able to discuss it. This is already a compromise. Now set out your points.

Actually this is the right place for it (as would the Foundry be). OT is for topics not pertaining to CC. This is directly related to CC. If you wish to discuss religious and/or political themes regarding historical Israel in OT, go ahead. But if you want to talk about it with reference to a map to perhaps be played by the community of CC, then this is the right place.

And in my opinion, the map is just fine. It is in no way offensive. If someone finds it so, I'm yet to hear why.
Cook Butters1919

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:11 pm

Aim of the Map: what does this even mean? The aim of the map is to present us with a new battlefield.

Overtly religious. The following map is overtly religious:
Click image to enlarge.

Explain what is contentious.

Overtly political. The following map is overtly political:
Click image to enlarge.

Explain what is contentious.

Now, assignment 3 is to show me a CC map which is not overtly political or religious.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Neoteny on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:13 pm

For a website that is concerned enough about inclusiveness to outright bar swastikas, it feels awkward to me. We either have concerns about people being offended by certain things or we don't. Even the word "Israel" brings up a lot of emotions and stress in the general population. It's whoever's site this is to decide what is or isn't allowed, of course, but consistent application will always be a concern.

Atheism aside, wow that's a painful map at which to look.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby Night Strike on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Neoteny wrote:For a website that is concerned enough about inclusiveness to outright bar swastikas, it feels awkward to me. We either have concerns about people being offended by certain things or we don't. Even the word "Israel" brings up a lot of emotions and stress in the general population. It's whoever's site this is to decide what is or isn't allowed, of course, but consistent application will always be a concern.

So atheism's answer is to ban words because you don't like them? What happened to tolerance?
Major Night Strike

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:17 pm

Just seems like a themed map to me. I suppose you can go on a crusade over this symmetry and keep it from being produced but given you're not even an active player and most likely will never play this map I'd say it would be sort of pointless. And as someone else alluded, you could be opening a serious can of worms here.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Neoteny on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Neoteny wrote:For a website that is concerned enough about inclusiveness to outright bar swastikas, it feels awkward to me. We either have concerns about people being offended by certain things or we don't. Even the word "Israel" brings up a lot of emotions and stress in the general population. It's whoever's site this is to decide what is or isn't allowed, of course, but consistent application will always be a concern.

So atheism's answer is to ban words because you don't like them? What happened to tolerance?

lol

EDIT: I'll clarify. Paragraph 1 was me saying that this might be inconsistent with the idea of broad inclusivity that this site has striven for in the past.

My second paragraph was a commentary that noted that, despite my personal opinions on the context of the map, which I haven't really given other than "weird" and "maybe inconsistent," I find it visually gross.
Last edited by Neoteny on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Neoteny

Postby Symmetry on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Butters1919 wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Hmm, I'm sorry, but no. I don't even like that the topic has been moved away from the forum most able to discuss it. This is already a compromise. Now set out your points.

Actually this is the right place for it (as would the Foundry be). OT is for topics not pertaining to CC. This is directly related to CC. If you wish to discuss religious and/or political themes regarding historical Israel in OT, go ahead. But if you want to talk about it with reference to a map to perhaps be played by the community of CC, then this is the right place.

And in my opinion, the map is just fine. It is in no way offensive. If someone finds it so, I'm yet to hear why.

The map was already under game discussion in the foundry. I have never advocated that that not happen. A more sophisticated (and more brutal) discussion on the map's implicationds can occur in OT.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:25 pm

What, if any, are the implications?
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Symmetry on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:31 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:What, if any, are the implications?

That the area described in the map is prophesied by God to be conquered?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Doc_Brown on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:38 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Butters1919 wrote:

The map was already under game discussion in the foundry. I have never advocated that that not happen. A more sophisticated (and more brutal) discussion on the map's implicationds can occur in OT.

The implications being that a group of refugees from Egypt some 3000 years ago thought they had a divine right to sliver of land and then proceeded to war with their neighbors and each other for the next 500 years? The map is clearly labeled as Ancient Israel. It's set in a time when there were 12 tribes. How many modern Israelis can point to which tribe they descend from? Sure there are some people that believe the perceived divine right from thousands of years ago provides an entitlement to the same thing today, and that's a valid debate for OT. But if that's the problem with the map, we really need to get rid of the First Nations America maps too. After all, some of the colonist groups came for religious reasons ("City on a Hill," "Freedom of Religion," and all that), and the native groups were conquered by people that believed their god gave them the land. How about the American Civil War map? It has racism and religious views underlying the themes that are present in it, not unlike the WW2 maps. Certainly the swastika has been banned, in part because it's illegal in some parts of the world and is considered patently offensive in other places. I haven't heard of any country that has banned passages from the Bible or that finds mention of 2500 year old geopolitical conflicts to be patently offensive.
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:41 pm

Neoteny wrote:Atheism aside, wow that's a painful map at which to look.

Racist.
Colonel Funkyterrance

I has a question.

Postby 2dimes on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:41 pm

Symmetry wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:What, if any, are the implications?

That the area described in the map is prophesied by God to be conquered?

Are you concerned that when someone fufills the prophacy by playing the map, that action will cause something else to happen?
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Symmetry on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:42 pm

Doc_Brown wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Butters1919 wrote:

The implications being that a group of refugees from Egypt some 3000 years ago thought they had a divine right to sliver of land and then proceeded to war with their neighbors and each other for the next 500 years? The map is clearly labeled as Ancient Israel. It's set in a time when there were 12 tribes. How many modern Israelis can point to which tribe they descend from? Sure there are some people that believe the perceived divine right from thousands of years ago provides an entitlement to the same thing today, and that's a valid debate for OT. But if that's the problem with the map, we really need to get rid of the First Nations America maps too. After all, some of the colonist groups came for religious reasons ("City on a Hill," "Freedom of Religion," and all that), and the native groups were conquered by people that believed their god gave them the land. How about the American Civil War map? It has racism and religious views underlying the themes that are present in it, not unlike the WW2 maps. Certainly the swastika has been banned, in part because it's illegal in some parts of the world and is considered patently offensive in other places. I haven't heard of any country that has banned passages from the Bible or that finds mention of 2500 year old geopolitical conflicts to be patently offensive.

I don't get how you implied that from what I said.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Night Strike on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:43 pm

Symmetry wrote:I don't get how you implied that from what I said.

Then why didn't you actually answer what the implications are?
Major Night Strike

Postby Neoteny on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Neoteny wrote:Atheism aside, wow that's a painful map at which to look.

Racist.

I'll admit it's a subjective criticism.
Major Neoteny

Postby Doc_Brown on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Doc_Brown wrote:The implications being that a group of refugees from Egypt some 3000 years ago thought they had a divine right to sliver of land and then proceeded to war with their neighbors and each other for the next 500 years? The map is clearly labeled as Ancient Israel. It's set in a time when there were 12 tribes. How many modern Israelis can point to which tribe they descend from? Sure there are some people that believe the perceived divine right from thousands of years ago provides an entitlement to the same thing today, and that's a valid debate for OT. But if that's the problem with the map, we really need to get rid of the First Nations America maps too. After all, some of the colonist groups came for religious reasons ("City on a Hill," "Freedom of Religion," and all that), and the native groups were conquered by people that believed their god gave them the land. How about the American Civil War map? It has racism and religious views underlying the themes that are present in it, not unlike the WW2 maps. Certainly the swastika has been banned, in part because it's illegal in some parts of the world and is considered patently offensive in other places. I haven't heard of any country that has banned passages from the Bible or that finds mention of 2500 year old geopolitical conflicts to be patently offensive.

Point being that you're drawing unreasonable implications, and your approach could easily be extended to find half the maps on this site to be offensive.
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:52 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Symmetry wrote:I don't get how you implied that from what I said.

Then why didn't you actually answer what the implications are?

That's how trolls work.

In a note on Doc_Brown's question of how many modern Israelis can link themselves to a tribe: genetic evidence has, for better or worse, proven that most Jews are not descended from Israel on their mother's side, only on their father's side. So the answer is: a very small percentage, since Jewish law dictates that you are only Jewish if your mother was Jewish.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Symmetry on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:52 pm

Doc_Brown wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Doc_Brown wrote:The implications being that a group of refugees from Egypt some 3000 years ago thought they had a divine right to sliver of land and then proceeded to war with their neighbors and each other for the next 500 years? The map is clearly labeled as Ancient Israel. It's set in a time when there were 12 tribes. How many modern Israelis can point to which tribe they descend from? Sure there are some people that believe the perceived divine right from thousands of years ago provides an entitlement to the same thing today, and that's a valid debate for OT. But if that's the problem with the map, we really need to get rid of the First Nations America maps too. After all, some of the colonist groups came for religious reasons ("City on a Hill," "Freedom of Religion," and all that), and the native groups were conquered by people that believed their god gave them the land. How about the American Civil War map? It has racism and religious views underlying the themes that are present in it, not unlike the WW2 maps. Certainly the swastika has been banned, in part because it's illegal in some parts of the world and is considered patently offensive in other places. I haven't heard of any country that has banned passages from the Bible or that finds mention of 2500 year old geopolitical conflicts to be patently offensive.

Point being that you're drawing unreasonable implications, and your approach could easily be extended to find half the maps on this site to be offensive.

That's a strawman, dude, try again. If your point is truly that I might dislike something else...
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:59 pm

I went and re-read the caption on the map and I'll admit the wording is a little heavy handed. You could probably just tweak it a little and everyone would be happy as it does read as slightly "charged" as it stands.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Night Strike on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:I went and re-read the caption on the map and I'll admit the wording is a little heavy handed. You could probably just tweak it a little and everyone would be happy as it does read as slightly "charged" as it stands.

Which part is "charged" or "heavy-handed"?
Major Night Strike

Postby Symmetry on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:05 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:I went and re-read the caption on the map and I'll admit the wording is a little heavy handed. You could probably just tweak it a little and everyone would be happy as it does read as slightly "charged" as it stands.

A nicer way of putting it than I would, but a legion away from the "nothing religious" crowd.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:07 pm

Straw Man.

There is no "nothing religious" crowd.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion