Conquer Club

Turtling: Thoughts?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

How do you feel about turtling as a tactic in limited-round games?

Total votes : 0

Turtling: Thoughts?

Postby SaucyJack on Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:12 pm

I'm seeing turtling used more and more as a tactic in limited-round games, and was wondering what the community's thoughts were on the matter.

For the uninitiated, "turtling" in the game's context means to use your turn by a) reinforcing your main troop stack(s) and b) immediately ending your turn without fighting. In games with spoils, particularly escalating spoils, sometimes b) is replaced with "fighting a country with 1 troop on it to get a card without reinforcing anything to it, then ending your turn."

This tactic takes advantage of the fact that in limited-round games, if no one has eliminated all the other players, the winner is the person with the most troops on the board.

Feel free to add your own option in your responses.
Lieutenant SaucyJack

Re: Turtling: Delicate moment or underwear nightmare?

Postby owenshooter on Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:01 pm

um... never heard it called this.. i think you may want to create a new name for this activity that isn't already a part of the english slang lexicon... when i read the title of your thread, i spat out water on my ipad mini...

Urban Dictionary wrote:turtling:
The delicate moments right before one really, really has to take a sh*t, where the sh*t is literally poking its head out of the sphincter then quickly hiding inside again.
Man, on the drive home from Disneyland, I had to take a serious sh*t; I was totally turtling.

seriously, think of a new name...-JĂ©sus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Re: Turtling: Thoughts?

Postby SaucyJack on Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:21 pm

I've heard taking the most defensive position possible referred to as turtling in a number of games, both board and online. I don't take my cues from Urban Dictionary, since I would posit that 95% of the definitions submitted to the site are one-offs posted for a laugh by drunken fratboys.

Taking the most defensive posture possible is called turtling because rather than being aggressive, a turtle's main method of combat is to more or less hole up in its thick protective shell until a predator goes away. Snapping turtles notwithstanding.

EDIT: Also, come on. You took the time to look at this thread, go to Urban Dictionary to copy a definition, come BACK to this thread, and paste said definition, but you couldn't even vote in the poll?
Lieutenant SaucyJack

Postby Serbia on Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:03 pm

Turtling is what Claude Lemiuex did when Darren McCarty decided to beat his ass:

And you're right; Lemieux lost a lot of respect when he did that. What a chump!

Bollocks in 2015.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby Serbia on Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:03 pm

SaucyJack wrote:EDIT: Also, come on. You took the time to look at this thread, go to Urban Dictionary to copy a definition, come BACK to this thread, and paste said definition, but you couldn't even vote in the poll?

Yeah, I'm not going to vote either.

Bollocks in 2015.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Re: Turtling: Delicate moment or underwear nightmare?

Postby Butters1919 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:32 pm

owenshooter wrote:um... never heard it called this..

i've not heard it on CC, but my regular Risk crew (board game) calls turtling all of the time! typically, it refers to the guy who takes too much territory, gets ganged up on, and then retreatsto whatever tiny corner he can find… we usually play escalating to keep games relatively short(ish). the turtle often ends up with an un-attackable single stack somewhere. the turtle sometimes wins, but rarely.

edit: I wanted to vote, but your descriptions are too long for my attention span.
Cook Butters1919

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:25 pm

Too many options and I couldn't vote. Here's some humor instead.

Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Donelladan on Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:53 am

For the uninitiated, "turtling" in the game's context means to use your turn by a) reinforcing your main troop stack(s) and b) immediately ending your turn without fighting. In games with spoils, particularly escalating spoils, sometimes b) is replaced with "fighting a country with 1 troop on it to get a card without reinforcing anything to it, then ending your turn."

In escalating, non trench, you should always stack, that's the strategy. So let's keep it out of topic.

I usually call that strategy stacking, but why not for turtling.

I voted for a win is a win, it doesn't matter.
That's a disadvantage of the round limit, many people stack, because that's usually the best strategy. It is totally fine, and most high rank player resort to it. It is ofc boring.

Concerning your poll, all situation are possible, if you are underdog and the top ones are fighting, then stacking is smart. If you are underdog and top ones aren't fighting, then stacking is stupid because you will lose at the end. If you are top one, it always depend on how big your lead is, with good player, you can't stack when you are top one, because they'll do smthg about it, so usually you have to keep attacking. if you are top one, and other people aren't doing a thing against you, no chat, then stack and win.
Colonel Donelladan

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:58 am

I agree w/ Don.

In escalating it's the standard strategy and if you don't adopt it you can usually expect to lose.

All other types of spoils often result in stacking for round limits of 50 or less. At first I disliked the tactic and didn't play it, but over time realised that it's often the only way to win.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Return to Conquer Club Discussion