Conquer Club

I miss Intensity Cubes

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

I miss Intensity Cubes

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:18 am

I really do. I think they were one of CC's great points of uniqueness. Going back to just dice is, well, dreary.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: I miss Intensity Cubes

Postby owenshooter on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:50 pm

Dukasaur wrote:I really do. I think they were one of CC's great points of uniqueness. Going back to just dice is, well, dreary.

going back to dice that aren't run by random.org, was just the beginning of the end... and seriously, how could anyone have thought that using the term "DICE" was going to land this site in deep water with HASBRO? really? they OWN the rights to dice? they INVENTED dice?! really? *eyes rolling*... it was dumb then, but i really miss the intensity cubes now... maybe they'll bring them back, after they put the freestyle rules back to how they were, before the mass exodus...-Jésus noir

p.s.-seems like a no brainer... go back to random.org and bring back the old freestyle rules... those were two of your major causes of the mass exodus and two of the still major sticking points about the site...
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:07 pm

owenshooter wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:I really do. I think they were one of CC's great points of uniqueness. Going back to just dice is, well, dreary.

and seriously, how could anyone have thought that using the term "DICE" was going to land this site in deep water with HASBRO? really? they OWN the rights to dice? they INVENTED dice?! really? *eyes rolling*... it was dumb then, but i really miss the intensity cubes now...

I think when lack got the cease and desist about the map, he was simply making a clean sweep and changing everything. It's true that in and of itself, there's no way anyone could copyright as universal a concept as "dice", but it was the whole package of the Risk game that was the issue, and lack was trying to change each and every part of the package. Maybe he needed to, maybe he didn't. We'll never know.

When I joined CC, however, it was long after the change to Intensity Cubes, and of course as a new recruit reading the FAQs for the first time I had no idea of the long background debate. I only saw the site as it was at that time. To me, "intensity cubes" was a cool and clever use of language. Obviously they were dice, but the fact that someone had come up with a new and unique way to say dice, was to me a selling point. I didn't know they did it for legal reasons; I thought they did it just to sound cool. Having been a big reader all my life, I get tired of seeing the same words over and over again, and I'm always delighted when someone comes up with a new and unique way to express an old concept.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:47 pm

They rolled better.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby ConfederateSS on Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:45 pm

------I miss the Holiday dice. Win or lose. It really didn't matter. Looking at snow flakes,snow globes,shamrocks,Bunnies(not hearts?),red-white-blue stars and colored eggs. I know, it's to much programming. BLAH!BLAH! They made me feel better no matter the outcome. ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion). :D
Corporal ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby BrutalBob on Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:51 pm

Dukasaur wrote:... To me, "intensity cubes" was a cool and clever use of language...

The thing about language though is that we all tend to use the same words for the same things. If you go around making up their own words then no one knows what you are talking about

Dukasaur wrote: Obviously they were dice,

I only found that out now after reading your entire post. I have never heard of them and never seen them before

Dukasaur wrote: I get tired of seeing the same words over and over again

Nom bader din soom
Lieutenant BrutalBob

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:34 pm

BrutalBob wrote:

I only found that out now after reading your entire post. I have never heard of them and never seen them before

That's weird, because you joined in 2007, three years before me. Which means you would have been here in October of 2008 when the debate about the sudden change in the map and dice terminology was all the rage in the forums.

Unfortunately, I can't find the exact moment when "Intensity Cubes" was first used in the game instructions. That page no longer exist, But it was definitely during that time, as several people posted extracts from the new policy in the thread:
Subject: Crazy Maps And Dice?

GrimReaper. wrote:
II. Assaulting Your Enemies
You may now assault any opponent's region from one of yours, as long as both regions are adjacent and your assaulting region has a minimum of two troops. This part is optional in that you may choose not to assault anyone.

Each time combat is initiated, the game engine will generate a random intensity level for each troop involved. The outcome is determined by the intensity of the assaulting troops versus the intensity of the repelling troops. There are 6 possible intensity levels that may be assigned, listed here from weakest to strongest:

Pathetic
Sad
Decent
Strong
Awesome
Heroic
The more troops involved on either side, the better the chances that side has of winning. But not all troops in the regions are necessarily involved. To be more specific, the game engine will assigned a random intensity level for each assaulting troop, less 1 troop that stays behind, up to a maximum of 3 troops. Likewise, the game engine will assign a random intensity level for each repelling troop, up to a maximum of 2 troops.

The outcome of combat is determined by comparing the strongest intensity levels of either side. If the assault was stronger, then the repelling region loses a troop. If the repel was stronger or equal, than the assaulting region loses a troop. This process is repeated once more if other troops remain involved on both sides.

tell me that means that the dice are still random...

ohh and attacks are now called assualts

In fact, once they merged all the threads about it into one, it was the largest thread in GD up to that time.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby owenshooter on Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:47 pm

BrutalBob wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:... To me, "intensity cubes" was a cool and clever use of language...

The thing about language though is that we all tend to use the same words for the same things. If you go around making up their own words then no one knows what you are talking about

Dukasaur wrote: I get tired of seeing the same words over and over again

Nom bader din soom

really? that's odd... you were here when all that was going on... it was the biggest thread and hottest topic on the site for quite some time... including the changes to Classic SHAPES and Classic ART... but, i guess you don't remember any of that... sigh...-Jésus noir

hey, BrutalBob, here's a hint:
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Return to Conquer Club Discussion