Conquer Club

Problem With Hosting Speed Games

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Problem With Hosting Speed Games

Postby FreeFalling123 on Thu May 12, 2016 1:24 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love speed games. I host them like crazy.

If I don't host them, I can never play. If I do host them, then I am majorly responsible for what happens that point forward.

Truth is, I have joined dozens of games and had players miss 1 or 2 rounds and I have seen a lot of DBs!

The favorite in the game is definitely the player who joined... I know this because of how often I win games from a DBing host or I lose games from DBing my own game.

In fact, just recently I won 7 of the last 8 speed games I played and lost 37 points.

Well, okay to be fair I was online with 10 games up for 6 hours, while I was doing other things and I only played in 8 of the 11 I started...

I deadbeat 1 game when I was eating (game 7 I never even saw).
P.S. Same guy joins game 8 and gets his ass kicked (after I was not present for 20 minutes and missed game 7 with him -- no wall message or notice that I just had lost an entire game and 44 points). Went back to my computer and said oh shit I guess I'm in a game...

Then I fell asleep after playing 2 more games (game 8 and 9): Game 10 and 11 then started after I had been inactive for half an hour.. second game 10 minutes after I DB the first. Same two players... good for you guys (no wall comment received)

Of the games I played I won 113 points...and lost 35. In the games I didn't play I lost a cold 115 points without taking a turn.

Now, I would foe these people for joining my games when I wasn't present, but whose fault is it that I wasn't there? It's mine, I get it. I failed, but I also succeeded and won almost every game I played in. However, instead of winning 78 points I lost 37...

I leave this situation feeling discouraged from ever hosting any more speed games... This is a huge risk with hosting a speed games if you ask me.

I would go leave a suggestion in the forum, but I know nothing will happen. Posting here, I accept all hecklers.

I know how to disassociate from the unfortunate circumstances, start another game and hopefully next time I won't miss and feel like a victim.

Thanks for reading and chiming into the discussion. I know I'm an idiot for making games when I wasn't sitting there in front of the computer waiting to play... but I love speed games and know that the only way to get into a game I like is to start it myself.

FreeFall
Major FreeFalling123

Re: Problem With Hosting Speed Games

Postby IcePack on Thu May 12, 2016 2:21 pm

What would be your suggestion?

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby FreeFalling123 on Thu May 12, 2016 2:39 pm

IcePack wrote:What would be your suggestion?

I didn't put it in suggestions for a reason :lol:

Was just venting a bit. Here are things I just came up with now:

1. confirm that you are online with a prompt yes/no 5 minutes to respond
-- not sure how long you have to be offline for a game to be dropped? If my computer keeps running it will keep me in the game all night
2. confirm start game?
-- last player joins... 5 min yes/no prompt... are you online?
3. create a different interface specifically for speeders
-- who has time for that?
4. idle a player every 5 minutes (bring him back to an invitation screen...
-- 1 player in game would probably drop it, eh?
5. Missed turns drop waiting games
-- if you miss a turn in a speeder... is it possible to connect that to a AFK / idle response?
Major FreeFalling123

Postby riskllama on Thu May 12, 2016 2:43 pm

I think all you speeder(freestyler)-types should start a petition around here to change whatever it was that was changed back to the way it was. apparently, a shit tonne of folks left because of this. might decrease your wait times, FF... ;)
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby FreeFalling123 on Thu May 12, 2016 3:40 pm

riskllama wrote:I think all you speeder(freestyler)-types should start a petition around here to change whatever it was that was changed back to the way it was. apparently, a shit tonne of folks left because of this. might decrease your wait times, FF... ;)

That's very helpful ;P

I accept the day we have in front of us... just have to be willing to look for improvements where we can find em ;)

A lot of these things are way harder to deal with than it looks, so I'm not expecting an overnight change... I don't have a solution... someone else who has more knowledge and skill with computers and an understanding of what we have is going to have to peep in and hopefully put in some hours for us...

Hard to find people like that though haha
Major FreeFalling123

Postby riskllama on Thu May 12, 2016 4:59 pm

well, maybe if you had enough organized angst. bigwham would take a serious look at it. maybe talk to owen - he was around when the changes happened, although I don't think he play the settings very much. I think demonfork was a rabid fan of speed freestyle, tho. think there may even be a user group...
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby FreeFalling123 on Fri May 13, 2016 10:08 pm

Well, I did just start a Freestyle Usergroup yesterday with 45 members.

And man I DB another Gdmn speeder! I set it up, forgot, closed my laptop and when I opened it back up 3 hours later "Speed Game Started"... That's good to know now that it has been over for 4 hours and the other guy already has my 40 points...

I have been involved in over 8k games and close to 2% of those will fall into the speeder game that I missed... or I had 5 speeders going and lost 3 of them because I was too dumb to drop them. When some of them I would have said okay enough... 3 games is enough.. but you have to host a ton of games or you'll host the wrong setting and nobody will join the whole night.

It's blowing my mind. I WON 7 of my last 8 games and I'm down now 80 points... because I deadbeat 4 of those unintentionally ... I mean for the 15 minutes I was on my computer it would have been nice if the game had started. I never log off, so I'm going to keep having this same thing happen... I am completely losing in this situation... the other guy isn't exactly winning either... I mean maybe he will join 4 of my games now because he's so happy he found a dumbass who gives away free points... but I'm willing to bet most of these people don't want to take the game.. it was a waste of their time and it was a waste of mine waiting for 15 minutes.
Major FreeFalling123

Postby riskllama on Fri May 13, 2016 10:58 pm

next time you're gonna do that, lemme know, ok?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby FreeFalling123 on Sat May 14, 2016 12:40 am

riskllama wrote:next time you're gonna do that, lemme know, ok?

Okay, free poitns are on the table basically every time I start a speed game... how many speeders you have? Could be quite valuable if you time it right :P
Major FreeFalling123

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sun May 15, 2016 6:32 am

Speed games used to drop automatically if you were inactive for 30mins I believe, but that doesn't seem to have been the case for a while.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Dukasaur on Sun May 15, 2016 9:53 am

FreeFalling123 wrote:Well, I did just start a Freestyle Usergroup yesterday with 45 members.

And man I DB another Gdmn speeder! I set it up, forgot, closed my laptop and when I opened it back up 3 hours later "Speed Game Started"... That's good to know now that it has been over for 4 hours and the other guy already has my 40 points...

I have been involved in over 8k games and close to 2% of those will fall into the speeder game that I missed... or I had 5 speeders going and lost 3 of them because I was too dumb to drop them. When some of them I would have said okay enough... 3 games is enough.. but you have to host a ton of games or you'll host the wrong setting and nobody will join the whole night.

It's blowing my mind. I WON 7 of my last 8 games and I'm down now 80 points... because I deadbeat 4 of those unintentionally ... I mean for the 15 minutes I was on my computer it would have been nice if the game had started. I never log off, so I'm going to keep having this same thing happen... I am completely losing in this situation... the other guy isn't exactly winning either... I mean maybe he will join 4 of my games now because he's so happy he found a dumbass who gives away free points... but I'm willing to bet most of these people don't want to take the game.. it was a waste of their time and it was a waste of mine waiting for 15 minutes.

This just makes me shake my head. This is something that could only happen to someone of your generation, with your insane excessive multitasking and your ten thousand open windows all over the place. Why, oh why, when you finish playing, do you not log off? Jesus H. Christ!

When you're done with a window, CLOSE IT! When you're done playing on a site, LOG OFF! If you have no reasonable expectation of browsing anything in the next five minutes, shut the fucking browser down and let the buffers reset! Live in the moment. Do one thing and FOCUS on that one thing, and when you're done doing that one thing, come to a full stop, turn it off, and go on to something else.

Live in the moment.

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/how-todays-computers-weaken-our-brain

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/the-myth-of-multitasking

In one of the many letters he wrote to his son in the 1740s, Lord Chesterfield offered the following advice: “There is time enough for everything in the course of the day, if you do but one thing at once, but there is not time enough in the year, if you will do two things at a time.” To Chesterfield, singular focus was not merely a practical way to structure one’s time; it was a mark of intelligence. “This steady and undissipated attention to one object, is a sure mark of a superior genius; as hurry, bustle, and agitation, are the never-failing symptoms of a weak and frivolous mind.”

In modern times, hurry, bustle, and agitation have become a regular way of life for many people — so much so that we have embraced a word to describe our efforts to respond to the many pressing demands on our time: multitasking. Used for decades to describe the parallel processing abilities of computers, multitasking is now shorthand for the human attempt to do simultaneously as many things as possible, as quickly as possible, preferably marshalling the power of as many technologies as possible.

In the late 1990s and early 2000s, one sensed a kind of exuberance about the possibilities of multitasking. Advertisements for new electronic gadgets — particularly the first generation of handheld digital devices — celebrated the notion of using technology to accomplish several things at once. The word multitasking began appearing in the “skills” sections of résumés, as office workers restyled themselves as high-tech, high-performing team players. “We have always multitasked — inability to walk and chew gum is a time-honored cause for derision — but never so intensely or self-consciously as now,” James Gleick wrote in his 1999 book Faster. “We are multitasking connoisseurs — experts in crowding, pressing, packing, and overlapping distinct activities in our all-too-finite moments.” An article in the New York Times Magazine in 2001 asked, “Who can remember life before multitasking? These days we all do it.” The article offered advice on “How to Multitask” with suggestions about giving your brain’s “multitasking hot spot” an appropriate workout.

But more recently, challenges to the ethos of multitasking have begun to emerge. Numerous studies have shown the sometimes-fatal danger of using cell phones and other electronic devices while driving, for example, and several states have now made that particular form of multitasking illegal. In the business world, where concerns about time-management are perennial, warnings about workplace distractions spawned by a multitasking culture are on the rise. In 2005, the BBC reported on a research study, funded by Hewlett-Packard and conducted by the Institute of Psychiatry at the University of London, that found, “Workers distracted by e-mail and phone calls suffer a fall in IQ more than twice that found in marijuana smokers.” The psychologist who led the study called this new “infomania” a serious threat to workplace productivity. One of the Harvard Business Review’s “Breakthrough Ideas” for 2007 was Linda Stone’s notion of “continuous partial attention,” which might be understood as a subspecies of multitasking: using mobile computing power and the Internet, we are “constantly scanning for opportunities and staying on top of contacts, events, and activities in an effort to miss nothing.”

Dr. Edward Hallowell, a Massachusetts-based psychiatrist who specializes in the treatment of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder and has written a book with the self-explanatory title CrazyBusy, has been offering therapies to combat extreme multitasking for years; in his book he calls multitasking a “mythical activity in which people believe they can perform two or more tasks simultaneously.” In a 2005 article, he described a new condition, “Attention Deficit Trait,” which he claims is rampant in the business world. ADT is “purely a response to the hyperkinetic environment in which we live,” writes Hallowell, and its hallmark symptoms mimic those of ADD. “Never in history has the human brain been asked to track so many data points,” Hallowell argues, and this challenge “can be controlled only by creatively engineering one’s environment and one’s emotional and physical health.” Limiting multitasking is essential. Best-selling business advice author Timothy Ferriss also extols the virtues of “single-tasking” in his book, The 4-Hour Workweek.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2747164/

Chronic media multitasking is quickly becoming ubiquitous, although processing multiple incoming streams of information is considered a challenge for human cognition. A series of experiments addressed whether there are systematic differences in information processing styles between chronically heavy and light media multitaskers. A trait media multitasking index was developed to identify groups of heavy and light media multitaskers. These two groups were then compared along established cognitive control dimensions. Results showed that heavy media multitaskers are more susceptible to interference from irrelevant environmental stimuli and from irrelevant representations in memory. This led to the surprising result that heavy media multitaskers performed worse on a test of task-switching ability, likely due to reduced ability to filter out interference from the irrelevant task set. These results demonstrate that media multitasking, a rapidly growing societal trend, is associated with a distinct approach to fundamental information processing.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby owenshooter on Sun May 15, 2016 11:13 am

the problem with hosting speed games is, someone always commits a party foul...

(the black jesus was told that his white followers found Seinfeld funny. i personally don't get it)...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby FreeFalling123 on Mon May 16, 2016 1:18 am

It's true, we live in a world of instant gratification.

Hard to just sit there for an hour with nobody joining.

Would be nice to have a live chat in the speed game section.
"Hey anyone want to play a speeder + what settings?"
Althuogh could wait for an hour with no response.

No faith in the system means the cycle continues... I'll create speeders, go make a sandwich / take a phone call and DB another herpa derpin game
Major FreeFalling123

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 16, 2016 5:17 am

FreeFalling123 wrote:
Would be nice to have a live chat in the speed game section.
"Hey anyone want to play a speeder + what settings?"

That's actually a good idea. Don't need a separate chat. You can turn on Global Chat in any part of Central Command, including the speed games section. You could shoot the shit with people in Global Chat while waiting for the games to fill. And the speeders could be one of the subjects discussed, even though of course it wouldn't be the only subject.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby FreeFalling123 on Tue May 24, 2016 4:36 pm

I'm down like 900 points in the last month from DBs...

Do we have anything that shows which games were Round 3 deadbeats?

On chess.com the game doesn't begin until the 5th move is taken..

What about delaying games or having to click the speed game icon.. maybe a double or nothing game :P
Major FreeFalling123

Postby FreeFalling123 on Tue May 31, 2016 11:39 pm

Sorry to double post...

I have 5 speed games waiting, but only want to play 1 of them. When one of them starts.. I go into the other 4 and invite the guy I'm playing against and hope he doesn't notice... unless I want to drop them all and then remake them all. I don't have this problem when I join speed games. I just join the one game I want.
Major FreeFalling123

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:59 am

I prefer crack.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Return to Conquer Club Discussion