Conquer Club

Why do we put the players points at the start of the game?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Why do we put the players points at the start of the game?

Postby hutber on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:53 am

Hey guys

Doing a search I can see the general top of how points are calculated has been done to death. I always thought they were awarded on the players points at the start of the game.

Now I know they are not, they are awarded at the end of the game.

So does anybody have any idea why we bother putting the points at the start of the game?

Cheers chaps
Captain hutber

Medals: 38
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (2)
Tribe Achievement (1)

Re: Why do we put the players points at the start of the gam

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:10 pm

hutber wrote:Hey guys

Doing a search I can see the general top of how points are calculated has been done to death. I always thought they were awarded on the players points at the start of the game.

So does anybody have any idea why we bother putting the points at the start of the game?

Cheers chaps

It helps when doing historical research on your past scores. Originally, the game log only showed how many points you gained in the game, but that led to ambiguities. Just as a simple example... if I beat you five years ago and got 40 points, does that mean that I had a score of 1000 and you had a score of 2000? Or does it mean I had a score of 2000 and you had a score of 4000? With both of us fluctuating over time, it can become a difficult puzzle to solve. If you are trying to reconstruct your history, the extra data can be very helpful.

Especially since sometimes there have been technical glitches and games have been lost, people studying their history on CC sometimes face gaps that are difficult. In the face of catastrophic corruption of the database, it could resolve what people's scores should be.

It has other applications, too. In C&A cases it can sometimes be a clue. Did you join that game against the private knowing he was a private, or was he a colonel at the time and dumped points? Some tournaments have point restrictions, and this information could be used in judging a challenge such as someone claiming their opponent was allowed into the tournament without properly being qualified. It can help settle status arguments, such as: on what date exactly did Emdizzle become Conqueror?

There are possible future expansions that might utilize this feature, also. For instance, we might one day have a button on the Scoreboard that allows you to rewind and see how the scoreboard changed over time. Even though there's nothing like that on the horizon, it's good that someone is thinking ahead and making sure the data backbone exists for that kind of application.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Medals: 204
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (27) General Achievement (24) Clan Achievement (22) Training Achievement (2)
Challenge Achievement (24) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (18)

Postby riskllama on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:10 pm

ikr? I'd much rather know what colour hair a player has.
nietzsche is awesome
Captain riskllama

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (3) Challenge Achievement (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby hutber on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:14 pm

Interesting, I guess I am not really a power player and these things hadn't occurred to me.

Nice to know :)

Cheers man
Captain hutber

Medals: 38
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (2)
Tribe Achievement (1)

Postby riskllama on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:16 pm

hair is power, man - just ask the Donald.
nietzsche is awesome
Captain riskllama

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (3) Challenge Achievement (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:06 pm

riskllama wrote:hair is power, man - just ask the Donald.

My hair is power. But what about all the skinhead losers out there? The gotta have somethin'!
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Medals: 204
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (27) General Achievement (24) Clan Achievement (22) Training Achievement (2)
Challenge Achievement (24) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (18)

Postby BoganGod on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:59 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
riskllama wrote:hair is power, man - just ask the Donald.

My hair is power. But what about all the skinhead losers out there? The gotta have somethin'!

Yet again we see discrimination and hate speech by team CC. Skinhead/shaved/bald doesn't always mean loser. Just like Canadian doesn't always mean maple syrup flavoured bacon being delivered by a gender fluid polar bear.
RGJ
Sergeant 1st Class BoganGod

Medals: 103
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (21) Tournament Contribution (10) General Contribution (3)

Postby Ltrain on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:38 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
hutber wrote:Hey guys

Cheers chaps

It helps when doing historical research on your past scores. Originally, the game log only showed how many points you gained in the game, but that led to ambiguities. Just as a simple example... if I beat you five years ago and got 40 points, does that mean that I had a score of 1000 and you had a score of 2000? Or does it mean I had a score of 2000 and you had a score of 4000? With both of us fluctuating over time, it can become a difficult puzzle to solve. If you are trying to reconstruct your history, the extra data can be very helpful.

Especially since sometimes there have been technical glitches and games have been lost, people studying their history on CC sometimes face gaps that are difficult. In the face of catastrophic corruption of the database, it could resolve what people's scores should be.

It has other applications, too. In C&A cases it can sometimes be a clue. Did you join that game against the private knowing he was a private, or was he a colonel at the time and dumped points? Some tournaments have point restrictions, and this information could be used in judging a challenge such as someone claiming their opponent was allowed into the tournament without properly being qualified. It can help settle status arguments, such as: on what date exactly did Emdizzle become Conqueror?

There are possible future expansions that might utilize this feature, also. For instance, we might one day have a button on the Scoreboard that allows you to rewind and see how the scoreboard changed over time. Even though there's nothing like that on the horizon, it's good that someone is thinking ahead and making sure the data backbone exists for that kind of application.

Just giving this interesting. thorough answer a bump. Well and I wanted to say some might think well who would want to do that but come on, of course there are people that would be interested in that kind of info. IT'S A SITE FULL OF NERDS! haha. So basically that amounts to a bump.
Major Ltrain

Medals: 90
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (31) Challenge Achievement (1)

Return to Conquer Club Discussion