- Running alongside the rating system, allow users to write a comment (in a similar way to the old system.)
The option would be given at the end of a game.
Once the comment is completed, the text is forwarded to the recipient User for approval.
if they do not approve, the comment automatically goes to either an Open Forum or Special Usergroup for adjudication (*see below for 'Forum' Description)
- The proposal gives ability, to all users, to add a comment at the end of a game.
They have 24 hours to make comment on any game/player (with game-link if it regards a specific game)
Once the 24 hours has expired no more comments can be made and the respective comments are sent directly to the recipients for approval (this will prevent retaliatory feedback)
Feedback sent for approval to the recipient via an automatic pop-up box which appears at log-in, 24 hours after game completion.
Then it is just a matter of clicking :-
'yes' - thus agreeing to allow the feedback to enter into your profile
'no' - thus sending the feedback to the community arbitration forum
'ask me later' - the box goes away till next time you log-in
This can be anything:
- Skill and tactics
- It could be a friendly piece of prose for mutual enjoyment!
The Comment is then made available to the recipient for approval prior to it being logged into their profile. They have 5 days to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’. If they fail to vote the comment will be entered into their profile.
In special cases, live Comments can be taken back to the Forum for adjudication; to cover people going away and missing the right to veto.
If they say ‘yes’, they have approved the comment and it will also be logged into their profile.
If they say ‘no’, not approved, the Comment goes for arbitration by the Site in the Contentious Comment Forum. (The rules of approval need to be worked out but will mainly cover outright spiteful lies and abusive language!)
Arbitration is made by CC members: the make-up and remit of which is to be discussed;
It could be
A) Open to all members, with a pre-forum link to the Moderation 'Forum', on the Front page after login. This will encourage those who do not normally visit the Forums to participate! *
B) Closed select group of non-mod volunteers
Non English Comments under Open Moderation (option (A) above)
We have all of the Individual Language Forums; with varying levels of populations.
therefore we could include a select box for the destination page for each Language Moderation as sent by the recipient of the queried comment. (each Forum has it's own little Community Mod thread to vote in)
Of course if the population is small then the number of votes for passing it as acceptable would be far fewer than in the main English language forum.
Why will this work where the other failed?
- The proposed system does not affect your Pos or Neg Rating, so it will be less contentious.
- The recipient gets immediate right to take contentious Comments to the Community for adjudication of fairness and suitability, before anyone else sees it in their Profile.
- If the Comments are judged by the whole site (with say 100 votes giving a judgement on 95% agreement**) on a casual anonymous basis, there is no one to shout at, no focal figure to hate.
This will improve the following aspects of the site:
- Gives opportunity to write creative, fun prose
- Allows for people to comment on a persons Skill and be more specific about the experience
- Could be integrated with the old style system to placate the dissenters, without the site having to commit people and resources
*This is participatory Forum but with anonymous perusal and voting only. The comment Forum is 'ironically' not a place for discussion by the voters.
So there will be no canvassing for support or bitching, it is simply a place to read and click 'yes' or 'no'.
**A ceiling of votes needed to constitute an authoritative decision! For example, we could set the limit at 100 votes with 95% approval to make it a live comment.