Conquer Club

Locked Threads: BORING

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Locked Threads: BORING

Postby Georgerx7di on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:50 pm

Ok, there was a thread about that retard wump. Now why is it that everytime there is a fun thread that it gets locked. Now I like clapper, she's always nice; but come on, too many of the good threads get locked.

P.S. Yes, I know that this one will get locked too, can we just leave it for a few hours to hear what others have to say about it.
Major Georgerx7di

Re: Locked Threads: BORING

Postby hecter on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:56 pm

I think that was a very good thread and it's excuse for getting locked as pathetic. There was barely anything in terms of flaming (just look at that farming clan thread, it's pretty bad (especially if you can make it through one of king_herpes long, boring, pretentious and condescending posts), we were talking about a registered sex offender-made internet 'sensation' (ooo, we're posting personal information about him than any idiot can find by using google/wikipedia/urban dictionary/encyclopedia dramatica/snopes, and the list goes on), avatars on CC and a specific CC user. What's the harm in that? I mean, really?
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Dancing Mustard on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:05 am

Where was the harm? Well actually there wasn't any... but it was a thread in which a great number of site users were expressing justifiable irritation at the tasteless antics of one of this sites most persistent trolls, and the mod on duty didn't have the power to do what the community wanted. So she locked the thread to (1) kill a discussion that was asking her to do something she wasn't able to do, and (2) to assert some authority in the only fashion available to her.

Mods are only human after all, we can't get too upset when they just panic-lock threads that everybody is enjoying, but which call on them to do something slightly more drastic than lock threads and issue snotty PMs.
Wayne wrote:Wow, with a voice like that Dancing Mustard must get all the babes!

Garth wrote:Yeah, I bet he's totally studly and buff.
Corporal Dancing Mustard

Postby owenshooter on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:30 am

Dancing Mustard wrote:Where was the harm? Well actually there wasn't any... but it was a thread in which a great number of site users were expressing justifiable irritation at the tasteless antics of one of this sites most persistent trolls, and the mod on duty didn't have the power to do what the community wanted.

what was that? create a new rule that would make wump able to be punished? as it is, was, he did nothing wrong. period. there was nothing offensive about his avatar and it fell well within the guidelines for the site. however, the locking of the thread used a very ridiculous reason that was absurd. the pre-emptive locking of threads before flaming begins is a new sensation flooding the mod world. i was banned after a thread was locked that was going to head into flames, according to mods. however, there is a user that has openly started flame threads in the GD and flamed users with profanity in the GD, without an repercussions, whatsoever. there was nothing wrong with wump's avatar. everyone was just looking to pile on a usual target, and they were wrong in their reasoning. if tom is/was so concerned with avatars, maybe he should fix the hilarious mis-spelled word in his clans sig... that to me is truly offensive.-0
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Dancing Mustard on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:49 am

owenshooter wrote:here was nothing offensive about his avatar and it fell well within the guidelines for the site.
See... I actually disagree with you there. But given that the thread in which we were able to discuss the matter has now been locked, further discourse is prevented; we'd either be thread-jacking if we talked about it here, or spamming the forum with duplicate threads if we made a new topic... catch-22 moderating at its finest, I think you'll agree?

owenshooter wrote:however, the locking of the thread used a very ridiculous reason that was absurd.
Now on that I agree, it was a flagrant "Erm, you are all discussing this robustly, and I don't know what to do... because I can't force a change or ban, um, er, lock thread and sweep issue under carpet!"

owenshooter wrote:the pre-emptive locking of threads before flaming begins is a new sensation flooding the mod world.
Yeah, it's a shame that the new mentality seems to be "destroy whole thread because one or two people are behaving like wing-wangs". Instead of just warning, deleting, editing and booting people who flame in such discussions, the whole community is made to suffer by way of mod-overkill. It's like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and it's a fine example of crap moderating.

owenshooter wrote:everyone was just looking to pile on a usual target
Given that Whump's entire troll-shtick is to say/display something offensive/priggish in the most high visibility way possible, then to feign innocence (or further priggishness) when reprimanded... we might well say that those people were just giving Whump what he wanted. It's fairly well documented that he's an attention-whore of the highest order, and that his only contribution to these forums is to make occasional "annoy everybody" threads/gestures. Whump getting piled-on is (1) probably what he wanted, and (2) entirely justifiable behaviour from those doing the piling.

Corporal Dancing Mustard

Postby clapper011 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:41 am

lol i was not going to move it to flamewars so you all could attack whump, and that thread was, even if they creep isn't a ccer, about personal information about the guy. As for "panic locking" I did no such thing.
1)general discussion is not for that sort of thread
2)use of personal information for the sole purppose of flaming is not allowed
Corporal 1st Class clapper011

Postby Skittles! on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:14 am

clapper011 wrote:lol i was not going to move it to flamewars so you all could attack whump, and that thread was, even if they creep isn't a ccer, about personal information about the guy. As for "panic locking" I did no such thing.

But, as others pointed out, anyone could get that information anyway. Why is it so amazing of personal information about that person? It's knowledge over the internet.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby clapper011 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:16 am

Skittles! wrote:
clapper011 wrote:lol i was not going to move it to flamewars so you all could attack whump, and that thread was, even if they creep isn't a ccer, about personal information about the guy. As for "panic locking" I did no such thing.
2)use of personal information for the sole purpose of flaming is not allowed

But, as others pointed out, anyone could get that information anyway. Why is it so amazing of personal information about that person? It's knowledge over the internet.

the information was only being used to "flame him" and or whump. theres more then enough threads on wrestlerwhump1 in flame wars. no need for another.

Postby blakebowling on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:20 am

clapper011 wrote:
Skittles! wrote:
2)use of personal information for the sole purpose of flaming is not allowed

the information was only being used to "flame him" and or whump. theres more then enough threads on wrestlerwhump1 in flame wars. no need for another.

I believe you mean wrestler1ump ;)
Private blakebowling

Postby jbrettlip on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:57 am

Please lock all threads regarding Barrack Obama, John Mccain, Barry Bonds, Britney Spears and other all other people, living and dead. This gross abuse of personal information makes me ill. WHat has happened to CC???
nothing wrong with a little bit of man on dog love.
Lieutenant jbrettlip

Postby Dancing Mustard on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:23 am

Also, if we are now to believe the new (and rather novel) notion that the thread was locked because some kind of non-specific not-for-GD discussion was going on in it, then why didn't you just delete the offending posts and warn the perpetrators?
Wouldn't that have been the most sensible way to deal with the problem? As it is you just ended up locking a thread that was intended for, and contained large amounts of content directed at, discussing site-policy; which if you hadn't been informed, is precisely the kind of thing we're supposed to do in GD.

Again: You buggered this one up. You got lazy/panicked and used a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Why not just admit your error, and get on with correcting it? It'd save everyone a lot of time and effort, and would actually make the forums a better and more convenient place (and the last time I checked, that was the sort of thing that mods were supposed to be here to help with).

Corporal Dancing Mustard

Postby owenshooter on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:12 am

jbrettlip wrote:Please lock all threads regarding Barrack Obama, John Mccain, Barry Bonds, Britney Spears and other all other people, living and dead. This gross abuse of personal information makes me ill. WHat has happened to CC???

don't forget that the jesus freaks clan needs to be disbanned, because they are discussing christ and possibly flaming him by using his name for their clan... oh, and generation one users need to be warned that use of transformer names for user names is now illegal too... optimus prime, i'm looking at you.-0
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby owenshooter on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:16 am

Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby jbrettlip on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:57 am

But Jesus isn't real according to the Godless Heathens clan. So Jesus's life could be debated. But Barack Obama is real so we should cease all discussions of him.

Moral of the story: Before you make a very general rule, you should think out your actions and ramifications of said rule.
nothing wrong with a little bit of man on dog love.
Lieutenant jbrettlip

Postby hecter on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:41 pm

1. Move the thread. It takes a mere 5 seconds more to move a thread than to lock it, dontcha know?
2. Who was flaming? We were discussing on what constitutes an offensive avatar or not. You also may want to brush up on what is and isn't personal information...
Personal information is defined in Section 2 of ATIPPA. It reads:

"personal information" means recorded information about an identifiable individual, including
  • the individual's name, address or telephone number,
  • the individual's race, national or ethnic origin, colour, or religious or political beliefs or associations,
  • the individual's age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status or family status,
  • an identifying number, symbol or other particular assigned to the individual,
  • the individual's fingerprints, blood type or inheritable characteristics,
  • information about the individual's health care status or history, including a physical or mental disability,
  • information about the individual's educational, financial, criminal or employment status or history,
  • the opinions of a person about the individual, and
  • the individual's personal views or opinions
Link

The entire forum is riddled with peoples names, education, address, pictures, opinions, ethnicity, ect. Better shut down the forums! There's personal information about them on here! Of course, all of that has been posted with our consent. But wait, here's a little article on "Private Facts" and what constitutes a private fact.
http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/ ... vate-facts
Don't worry, you don't have to read too far in.
In most states, you can be sued for publishing private facts about another person, even if those facts are true. The term "private facts" refers to information about someone's personal life that has not previously been revealed to the public, that is not of legitimate public concern, and the publication of which would be offensive to a reasonable person. For example, writing about a person's HIV status, sexual orientation, or financial troubles could lead to liability for publication of private facts. However, the law protects you when you publish information that is newsworthy, regardless of whether someone else would like you to keep that information private. In addition, the law protects you if you publish information already exposed to the public eye and especially material obtained from publicly available court records.

Look, I even highlighted the key points for you. The information that was posted is of legitimate public concern (it's about a rapist and a user at CC), rapists are offensive to a reasonable person and everything had already been exposed to the public eye, seeing as how you can get information about that guy from just about everywhere.

Then again, this is a privately run website, not the globe and mail. What rules apply here? Well, seeing as how there are no specific threads on not posting personal information in either chatter box or GD, I guess I'll just refer to the guidelines...
The Guidelines on Posting Personal Information wrote:

And there you have it... As far as I can tell, that thread should have never been locked. Locking it was a bad decision. Of course, you won't admit that. You're an all powerful and mighty mod! You can never make mistakes! And if you do, which you don't, obviously, you'll just sweep them under the rug and make up some lame ass excuse.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Snorri1234 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:28 pm

Hecter wins the thread.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
Private Snorri1234

Postby clapper011 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:42 pm

alright, lets all get one thing straight. I do not nor have I ever claimed to *not or never* make mistakes. And you saying so is just wrong as we are all human and make mistakes daily! Sorry if you guys think that I am such a "terrible" mod..LOL but I don't take the internet as serious as you guys do. I am only here to try to make a small difference, not hate or attack others as most of you enjoy doing. If I make a mistake with locking a thread or such, just balls up and pm me about it. "show me the errors of my ways" instead of finding another way to take cracks at myself and at cc. ;)

Postby Snorri1234 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:45 pm

clapper011 wrote:alright, lets all get one thing straight. I do not nor have I ever claimed to *not or never* make mistakes. And you saying so is just wrong as we are all human and make mistakes daily! Sorry if you guys think that I am such a "terrible" mod..LOL but I don't take the internet as serious as you guys do. I am only here to try to make a small difference, not hate or attack others as most of you enjoy doing. If I make a mistake with locking a thread or such, just balls up and pm me about it. "show me the errors of my ways" instead of finding another way to take cracks at myself and at cc. ;)

But that would mean we wouldn't be able to publicly complain in the forums and thus defeats the very purpose of our existence.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
Private Snorri1234

Postby hulmey on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:47 pm

Snorri1234 wrote:
clapper011 wrote:alright, lets all get one thing straight. I do not nor have I ever claimed to *not or never* make mistakes. And you saying so is just wrong as we are all human and make mistakes daily! Sorry if you guys think that I am such a "terrible" mod..LOL but I don't take the internet as serious as you guys do. I am only here to try to make a small difference, not hate or attack others as most of you enjoy doing. If I make a mistake with locking a thread or such, just balls up and pm me about it. "show me the errors of my ways" instead of finding another way to take cracks at myself and at cc. ;)

But that would mean we wouldn't be able to publicly complain in the forums and thus defeats the very purpose of our existence.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
we luv yeah clappppppppppppppppppppperrrrrrrrr but YOU FUCKED UP
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby KoE_Sirius on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:47 pm

Snorri1234 wrote:

Geeeez CC is the purpose rofl .
Highest Rank 4th.
Major KoE_Sirius

Postby jiminski on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:07 pm

Fuck CC.. it can take it and it gets paid 'handsomely' for our right to abuse it without much justification.
You do not Clapps, you do it for sod all money, your reward is one which i can not fathom and all you get is shit.

But try not to take it to heart sugar, i reckon you are doing good and if you want to talk about something delicate as Twill is not bloody there, please come and talk to me.

jim
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby hecter on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:20 pm

clapper011 wrote:I don't take the internet as serious as you guys do.

It shows that you don't take this job of yours seriously. Really, it does. If you cared you'd be doing a half decent job.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby clapper011 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:56 pm

hecter wrote:
clapper011 wrote:I don't take the internet as serious as you guys do.

It shows that you don't take this job of yours seriously. Really, it does. If you cared you'd be doing a half decent job.

it is your opinion that I don't care, and that I don't do a "half decent" job.. :roll: go back to your own forum if you care so much about modding... do you think they would ever make you one hecter? It's just because you think I am not witty like you..... when I lock the threads..... never did I actually say i didnt take moding seriously. I said i didn't take the internet as serious.It is rather rich that you of all people, mr. spammer king, is trying to tell me how to mod...lmfao

Postby hecter on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:29 pm

clapper011 wrote:never did I actually say i didnt take moding seriously. I said i didn't take the internet as serious.

Hate to break it to you, but this site that you're moderating is on the internet. You know, that thing that you don't take seriously? By saying you don't take the internet seriously, you're also saying that you don't take modding seriously, as, y'know, it's part of the internet and its all it's social garbage...
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Twill on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:31 pm

Bloody hell people.

You're pulling some crap from ATIPPA and you think it applies to ConquerClub? I don't even know what ATIPPA is, but that's just funny. Let me go find something completely irrelevant to this conversation and quote it here as well:

According to section 2.1 of the By-Laws of the town of Wellfleet, MA:
2.1 DEFINITIONS - In this By-law the following terms, unless a contrary meaning is
required by the context
, or it specifically prescribed, shall have the following meaning.
Words used in the present tense include the future, and the plural includes the singular; the
word "lot" includes the word "plot"; the word "building" includes the word "structure"
; the
word "shall" is intended to be mandatory; "occupied" or "used" shall be considered as
though followed by the words "or intended, arranged or designed to be used or occupied".
The word "person" includes a corporation or partnership as well as an individual.

I've bolded arbitrarily for you.

I love ya hecter, but you have more time than sense some times I think.

Let me clear something up here: This is Conquer Club. This is not ATIPPA. It is not a forum a space where you get to trash people, disrespect each other or otherwise be angry mob that you seem so capable of being.

Clapper may have made a mistake, and she corrected it. It's pretty lame that you guys have nothing better to do with your time than to bitch and moan about someone who gives freely of their time to try to make this place that much better for everyone. Try saying thank you some time. This forum isn't for bitching and whining, it's not for flaming, and it's not your personal playgrounds. If you have an issue with the way a mod is doing their duties, talk to them, shouting is the last thing that's going to help. If that doesn't work, come talk to me and we'll work it out.

And as is so often repeated:

If you don't like it, stay the f*ck out

This entire forum is getting far far too negative and toxic.

Yes, we will start shutting down flame bait threads more often. Yes, if a topic is not appropriate for this site, it will get closed or moved.

Yeesh. It's like 2nd grade.

Rant over. Thread locked.

Twill

clapper, thank you for everything you do.
Retired.
Please don't PM me about forum stuff any more.

Essential forum poster viewing:
Posting, and You! and How to behave on an internet forum...on the internet
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Return to Conquer Club Discussion