Conquer Club

The next big update... [Feedback Desired]

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

I want these feature(s) most:

Poll ended at Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:07 pm

Total votes : 0

Re: The next big update... [Feedback Desired]

Postby sinctheassasin on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:40 am

I would like to see practise games, for if you want to play a new map, without the risk of losing points. Maybe this is the way to remove noob farming... By only letting them play in games where people can't take their points...
Woop Woop, i love conquer club, why'd i leave for a year?
Who LIkes finishing what they started? :D
Corporal sinctheassasin

Postby Artimis on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:00 am

Good to see you return from the wilderness, Lack.

Freestyle Double Turns
Priority No.1 is to fix the Freestyle Double Turn timer loophole. The Eliminate Freestyle Double Turns thread has grown quite a bit while you've been away, I believe a simple solution can be found in this post way down near the end of the pages:
Subject: Eliminate Freestyle Double Turns

Supreme_Pookie wrote:How about having an automatic "End Reinforcement" action occur just prior to time running out.
For perpetrators who practice this type of rule breaking, this "tactic" (as it's been incoorectly labeled) would then be rendered null and void.
The rules specifically state that if you're the last one to take a turn in the round then you can't be the one to play first in the next round.
This is a clear vio;ation of the rule.

This is a bug in need of extermination.

Basically the premise is to have the game tally up who has NOT ended their turn as the clock runs out on the round and set them on turn delay as if they had ended their turn normally by clicking 'End Reinforcements'. So either they wait until half the round passes of someone else begins which unlocks them to have their turn. This will work wonders with Casual Freestyle while having minimal impact on Speed Freestyle.

Designated Account Sitters
This would spare clan members the risk of losing control of their accounts to some malicious and unscrupulous individual because of sharing their password with a bad egg. Example that's spring to mind are the recent freezing of Neoteny's account in lieu of account sitter abuse, also the not too easily forgotten havoc wreaked by benjis_widow(Subject: benjis_widow - account abuse [banned]). All this chaos can be avoided in future with designated account sitters and I along with my members won't be so nervous when we give out our password to someone else, I'm certain that almost all the other clans feel exactly the same way.

More Battle Royales!
YES PLEASE! I don't think we had any when we passed 5,000,000 games. If we did then they weren't announced in a public enough fashion.
==================================================
This post was sponsored by Far-Q Industries.

Far-Q Industries: Telling you where to go since 2008.
Captain Artimis

Postby ahunda on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:21 am

1v1 team games, hands down. O:)
Field Marshal ahunda

Postby lord voldemort on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:25 am

blitz hit the nail on the head i think..
medals is a massive buzz...and sounds like a relatively simple thing to do..in comparasin to fixing freestyle loophole etc. the ground work is already there..(medal ideas platinum diamond, flat rate, esc etc etc) so i think that should be done soon...its a big attraction to alot of people who get bored of the game to game life...
next freestyle has to be fixed...how im sure someone knows...
everything else seems like a luxury...cm, designated sitters, brs..altough cool to had but prioity i think is medals/freestyle then the rest
more battle royals are always fun..just no flat rate..game 1 mil lol
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby Master Fenrir on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:26 am

Attack details. For some reason, I've always found those really interesting to look over on similar sites.
General Master Fenrir

Postby lord voldemort on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:27 am

oh also 12 player games...
so u can have more trips teams and more quads teams...
just something different...
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:55 am

Blitzaholic wrote:
jpcloet wrote:
Timminz wrote:2-player team games.....

Yes, 1v1 team games should be added!

how is 1 vs 1 a team game jp?

Blitz he means if you make a 1 vs 1 team game. You would basically be playing by yourself vs another player. So if it was triples you would control all 3 colors on your side and the other person would control theirs.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:00 am

ahunda wrote:1v1 team games, hands down. O:)

YES PLEASE! So Ahunda does this mean I get to play you first in a 1 vs 1 team game. I would love to square off with some top players 1 vs 1 in a team game.

Edited to add

Adding clickable maps in will help stop so much of the complaining also. :)
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby angola on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:36 am

Master Fenrir wrote:Attack details. For some reason, I've always found those really interesting to look over on similar sites.

What exactly do these details show?
Captain angola

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:41 am

lackattack, i'd like to see some more features placed into the game engine so that we can continue to create some unique gameplay maps.

I'd like to know if Territory Decay to Neutrals is possible. It would be helpful towards the Gallipoli map for the battleships that weren't used during the whole battle.
It would also be a way to avoid another Das SchloƟ situation so that all terts could be eliminiated.

Apart from that my 3 votes are in the mix above. :)
Thanks.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby demonfork on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:15 am

Please, for the sake of freestyle, don't ruin the freestyle format by eliminating the double turn.

Before I give my reasons why this would ruin freestyle, let me first start off with on of my favorite rebuttals that I use against the double turn naysayers that written by a wise man of cc...

lackattack wrote:
...And just to clarify, anti-double-turn block is only meant to prevent "surprise" double turns when the round ends before the 24 hours are up. Any other sort of double turn (e.g. when someone didn't play or ran out of time) is allowed because everyone knows when the turn expires and it isn't a surprise.

#1. As you stated, it is no mystery when the clock flips, any player can easily show up when the time expires and take their turn.

#2. (Mostly applies to 1v1) Delay tactics are used quite often in casual freestyle. A player ends his turn early and comes back later at some arbitrary time to clean house when his opponent has long since logged off. The double turn is one of the only means of counter measure when dealing with this tactic. It brings balance to the format. If you take away the double turn casual freestyle will turn into a game of who can end their turn this quickest.

#3 Being double turned is preventable. If you wish to eliminate the possibility of ever being double turned just make sure that you are always the last player to take your turn. I myself have never been double turned* because I either A. Show up at the clock flip or B. prevent it from happening by staying at the bottom of the turn rotation.

*Sometimes I might set my opponent to be in the position to double turn me because once you are double turned you have the option of returning the favor. Therefore you have to execute the double turn at the appropriate time in the game, If you do it at the wrong time it could backfire on you if your opponent delivers it right back at you.

I love to play 1v1 but I avoid sequential 1v1 because whoever goes first has a huge advantage and is usually the one that ends up winning the game. Currently Freestyle 1v1 is a completely balanced and fair format. A player loses the advantage of going first because his opponent has the option to counter this advantage with a double turn. You remove the double turn and you remove the balance form the game and thus ruin freestyle.

Yes a lot of players complain and cry foul when they fall victim to this strategy because of their inexperience or their general lack of freestyle skill, but so what.... In chess when I first fell victim to the Queens Gambit I didn't go cry because I was unaware of this tactic, I was happy because I learned a new skill that I was able to add to my arsenal.

There will always be crying noobs, crying noobs are a part of life. The vast majority of the double turn naysayers also happen to suck at Freestyle and or don't understand the format. Please don't ruin freestyle because some crying noob can't handle that someone else has the necessary skills and knowledge to be good at something and they do not.
Major demonfork

Postby sherkaner on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:28 am

Demonfork, Lack himself refers to it as a loophole. And his quote isn't entirely correct either, if you take your turn and let it run out in a 24-hr game, you actually change the time the new round starts, and the endtime isn't predictable any more.

And it looks like most people here agree with removing the loophole :D
Colonel sherkaner

Postby demonfork on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:44 am

sherkaner wrote:Demonfork, Lack himself refers to it as a loophole.

I'm sure he only refers to it as that because that's what it's become known as, clearly he intentionally coded it to work the way that it does, I doubt that he would purposefully code a "loophole".

And his quote isn't entirely correct either, if you take your turn and let it run out in a 24-hr game, you actually change the time the new round starts, and the endtime isn't predictable any more.

Wrong, it does not change the time when the new round starts if you let the clock run out!!! When you let the clock run out the new round starts precisely at the end of the 24 hours. It's completely predictable.

And it looks like most people here agree with removing the loophole :D

So what, like I said most of the people that agree with removing it either suck at freestyle and or don't understand freestyle.
Major demonfork

Postby Artimis on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:37 am

demonfork wrote:Please, for the sake of freestyle, don't ruin the freestyle format by eliminating the double turn.

Before I give my reasons why this would ruin freestyle, let me first start off with on of my favorite rebuttals that I use against the double turn naysayers that written by a wise man of cc...

lackattack wrote:
...And just to clarify, anti-double-turn block is only meant to prevent "surprise" double turns when the round ends before the 24 hours are up. Any other sort of double turn (e.g. when someone didn't play or ran out of time) is allowed because everyone knows when the turn expires and it isn't a surprise.

#1. As you stated, it is no mystery when the clock flips, any player can easily show up when the time expires and take their turn.

Weak Argument - Because not everyone has the ability to turn up at that precise time to counter a double turn attempt due to school/work/sleeping. This is partly down to differing time zones around the world and partly down to when a new round is triggered by someone ending their turn properly instead of intentionally sidestepping the turn delay. I can hardly turn round to my boss and tell him I've got to stop work and log into CC to stop someone double turning in an internet game..... :roll:

demonfork wrote:#2. (Mostly applies to 1v1) Delay tactics are used quite often in casual freestyle. A player ends his turn early and comes back later at some arbitrary time to clean house when his opponent has long since logged off. The double turn is one of the only means of counter measure when dealing with this tactic. It brings balance to the format. If you take away the double turn casual freestyle will turn into a game of who can end their turn this quickest.

Flawed Argument - Don't overextend yourself then, or make all your moves at once, or any other number of things that would reduce your ability to respond.

demonfork wrote:#3 Being double turned is preventable. If you wish to eliminate the possibility of ever being double turned just make sure that you are always the last player to take your turn. I myself have never been double turned* because I either A. Show up at the clock flip or B. prevent it from happening by staying at the bottom of the turn rotation.

The same as point one, this is useless if you're stuck at work and unable to access CC at the required time, they'll just double turn anyway and you can't prevent it unless your internet access is surgically implanted, or you have an iPhone with internet access(that's still a fairly exclusive club).

demonfork wrote:Yes a lot of players complain and cry foul when they fall victim to this strategy because of their inexperience or their general lack of freestyle skill, but so what.... In chess when I first fell victim to the Queens Gambit I didn't go cry because I was unaware of this tactic, I was happy because I learned a new skill that I was able to add to my arsenal.

There will always be crying noobs, crying noobs are a part of life. The vast majority of the double turn naysayers also happen to suck at Freestyle and or don't understand the format. Please don't ruin freestyle because some crying noob can't handle that someone else has the necessary skills and knowledge to be good at something and they do not.

Weak Argument - A cheap tactic does not good strategy make! The turn delay was implemented for a reason, that you discovered a way to circumvent the turn delay does not mitigate this at all.

Eliminating this loophole would encourage more experienced players to play freestyle and make your games more challenging.

....... I've just realised, this is the opposite of what you'd want, if the experienced players start joining your games you're more likely to lose! #-o Instead of them just avoiding your games altogether they'll start joining and then you'll have to start foeing them to keep them out....... Of course you don't want Freestyle changed, it won't be only newbies or forgetful unskilled players with no scripts joining your games if the loophole was closed. :|
==================================================
This post was sponsored by Far-Q Industries.

Far-Q Industries: Telling you where to go since 2008.
Captain Artimis

Postby 4myGod on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:46 am

where is the option to fix the mods/admins and the previously perma banned members? I want those fixed next.
Sergeant 1st Class 4myGod

Postby 72o on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:58 am

Initial army placement and attack details.

And maybe ban people that never shut up complaining about the banning.
Sergeant 72o

Postby notyou2 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:34 am

notyou2 wrote:Welcome back Lack. How was Shediac? The place has gone haywire while you were away.

I would like to see moderators that actually show moderation when enforcing the revamped rules, evenly and fairly and with transparency. As well as an examination in minute detail of recent bannings that seem heavy handed and unfair to many in this diverse and divided community.

Lack, can we expect these issues to be addressed or not?
Captain notyou2

Postby Wolffystyle on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:46 am

Don't discount my suggestion because of it's brevity in account. (It's merely an augmented argument.) But I, as I know countless other speed players, would like to see implemented the 2-minute speed round.

Wolffystyle~ :-$
Brigadier Wolffystyle

Postby Master Fenrir on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:34 am

angola wrote:
Master Fenrir wrote:Attack details. For some reason, I've always found those really interesting to look over on similar sites.

It shows you where they attack and what their dice were. This can be useful in situations such as this:

4 player standard:
-Red has three borders of Green, Blue, and Yellow.
-Players come back and see that he has 4 where he had a 3 previously, so they know he dropped and took a swing and went 0/2, but don't know who he attacked.

Attack details would show which territory he tried to attack.
General Master Fenrir

Postby The Neon Peon on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:52 am

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby RjBeals on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:31 am

allow us to make bigger maps (dimensions).
Private RjBeals

Postby captainwalrus on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:47 am

RjBeals wrote:allow us to make bigger maps (dimensions).

I agree!
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby ender516 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:04 pm

Master Fenrir wrote:
angola wrote:

It shows you where they attack and what their dice were. This can be useful in situations such as this:

4 player standard:
-Red has three borders of Green, Blue, and Yellow.
-Players come back and see that he has 4 where he had a 3 previously, so they know he dropped and took a swing and went 0/2, but don't know who he attacked.

Attack details would show which territory he tried to attack.

Also, this additional information should make it possible to create add-ons or plug-ins to do a lot of post-game analysis :geek: , or even animated replays :ugeek: .
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby MeanestBossEver on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:13 pm

Not on the list but I would prefer to see:

-> Adjustments to 1v1 rules to minimize/eliminate the first mover advantage.
-> Zombie Neutrals (or whatever we're calling them)
Major MeanestBossEver

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:15 pm

captainwalrus wrote:
RjBeals wrote:allow us to make bigger maps (dimensions).

I agree!

I agree also!
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion