bias in mafia

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: bias in mafia

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:30 pm

13. Meta/Past bias: When a player is acting dissimilar to the way they behaved in previous games.

-Sully
User avatar
Corporal Victor Sullivan
 
Posts: 7197
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:17 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:31 pm

And this is awesome:
Mr. Squirrel wrote:
strike wolf wrote:1. The right-wrong bias: the thought process that sometimes forms when one person campaigns heavily for one case on a person and the accused dies as town then the person who campaigned for his lynch is more likely scum. Or if the accuser dies then the accused is that much more likely to be scum.

Funny story:
The other night I was the narrator for a RL mafia game that was going on in my dorm (I have corrupted a bunch of people and gotten them hooked). There was a vig who was damn sure he knew who the godfather was N1. Despite his campaigning, he couldn't get enough support from the town to get the lynch. So he ended up killing himself N4 to make the godfather look suspicious. It worked and the godfather was lynched D5. :lol: Funniest thing I have ever seen.

:lol:

-Sully
User avatar
Corporal Victor Sullivan
 
Posts: 7197
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:17 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby safariguy5 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:16 pm

14. Veteran Nightkill Bias: Veteran players tend to be targeted for nightkills early on before they can really get down to scumhunting. The fear is they got a read on a mafia player and will pursue the lead aggressively unless silenced early.
Image
User avatar
Captain safariguy5
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: California
Medals: 67
Conquer Cup Silver Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (6)
General Contribution (8)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby MeDeFe on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:49 am

safariguy5 wrote:14. Veteran Nightkill Bias: Veteran players tend to be targeted for nightkills early on before they can really get down to scumhunting. The fear is they got a read on a mafia player and will pursue the lead aggressively unless silenced early.

Then the surviving veterans are likely to be scum and get lynched.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
User avatar
Major MeDeFe
 
Posts: 8098
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:48 am
Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.
Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) General Contribution (7)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:53 pm

safariguy5 wrote:14. Veteran Nightkill Bias: Veteran players tend to be targeted for nightkills early on before they can really get down to scumhunting. The fear is they got a read on a mafia player and will pursue the lead aggressively unless silenced early.


You should call this the nagerous, esp. when it's N1.

-Tails
ImageEight-year olds, Dude.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:52 am
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby strike wolf on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:59 pm

strike wolf wrote:
nagerous wrote:6. The attack the noob from an experienced player bias - whenever a player of experience seems to be picking on a new player he is instantly accused of being scum for going for a 'easy lynch' (happens to me a lot)


perhaps we can shorten this to the Nagerous Bias then? ;)

7. THe long post bias-the idea that because a post is long it is more relevant to game play (It does usually hold true but a lot of these hold true in many circumstances).
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.
User avatar
Cadet strike wolf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 7693
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Sandy Springs, GA (just north of Atlanta)
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) General Contribution (6)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:35 pm

I think nagerous should have his own entire set of biases :lol:

-Sully
User avatar
Corporal Victor Sullivan
 
Posts: 7197
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:17 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby zimmah on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:57 pm

MeDeFe wrote:
safariguy5 wrote:14. Veteran Nightkill Bias: Veteran players tend to be targeted for nightkills early on before they can really get down to scumhunting. The fear is they got a read on a mafia player and will pursue the lead aggressively unless silenced early.

Then the surviving veterans are likely to be scum and get lynched.


that is n fact a good point.

any surviving veterans that made it through n5 or so should be lynched for this reason alone. :lol:
Image
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
User avatar
Lieutenant zimmah
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: VDLL
Medals: 42
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby strike wolf on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:42 pm

Well not exactly usually by night 2 or 3 mafia are more informed and have a better idea of who to target than just veterans. So really if a veteran survives n1 as town their chances of surviving until end game increase dramatically.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.
User avatar
Cadet strike wolf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 7693
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Sandy Springs, GA (just north of Atlanta)
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) General Contribution (6)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby safariguy5 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:57 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:I think nagerous should have his own entire set of biases :lol:

-Sully

His biases would probably have corollaries like:

If nagerous and Fircoal are both in the same game, nagerous will attack a noob if there is one and Fir will defend the noob.

If nagerous and mandy are both in the same game, expect nagerous to warn everyone that mandy makes a lot of convoluted theories.
Image
User avatar
Captain safariguy5
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: California
Medals: 67
Conquer Cup Silver Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (6)
General Contribution (8)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby nagerous on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:27 pm

Ha I love mandy's theories, mad as they are -
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant nagerous
 
Posts: 8040
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:39 am
Medals: 66
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (14)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby MeDeFe on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:07 am

Any case against Rodion will invoke the terminator mafia game.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
User avatar
Major MeDeFe
 
Posts: 8098
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:48 am
Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.
Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) General Contribution (7)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby Commander9 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:11 am

safariguy5 wrote:3. Noob Bias: Whenever a newer player joins a game, usually gets picked on for very obvious scumtells even if they don't know what they're doing is scummy.

4. Mod Bias: If a mod is perceived as being particularly fond crazy/unbalanced setups, players tend to be more receptive to convoluted theories over the most simple ones. Can work in reverse if mod is perceived as being balanced in setup.

5. Activity Bias: Any player who posts regularly will generally be looked upon as more townish than the player who posts less frequently.


#4 is extremely true - even when I've intentionally nerfed the game, it was perceived as highly complicated due to what I've said while promoting it and due to my reputation as creating highly complex games.
But... It was so artistically done.
Lieutenant Commander9
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:51 am
Location: In between Lithuania/USA.
Medals: 68
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby mandalorian2298 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:48 am

Mr. Squirrel wrote:
strike wolf wrote:1. The right-wrong bias: the thought process that sometimes forms when one person campaigns heavily for one case on a person and the accused dies as town then the person who campaigned for his lynch is more likely scum. Or if the accuser dies then the accused is that much more likely to be scum.

Funny story:
The other night I was the narrator for a RL mafia game that was going on in my dorm (I have corrupted a bunch of people and gotten them hooked). There was a vig who was damn sure he knew who the godfather was N1. Despite his campaigning, he couldn't get enough support from the town to get the lynch. So he ended up killing himself N4 to make the godfather look suspicious. It worked and the godfather was lynched D5. :lol: Funniest thing I have ever seen.


If your vig friend is a hot girl, then I think that I'm in love. =P~ That is the coolest thing that I ever read.

EDITED: No, it's a dude! Freck and double freck!! :x
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Image
User avatar
Lieutenant mandalorian2298
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: www.chess.com
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby mandalorian2298 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:58 am

nagerous wrote:Ha I love mandy's theories, mad as they are -


Thank you, Nag. :)

zimmah wrote:
MeDeFe wrote:
safariguy5 wrote:14. Veteran Nightkill Bias: Veteran players tend to be targeted for nightkills early on before they can really get down to scumhunting. The fear is they got a read on a mafia player and will pursue the lead aggressively unless silenced early.

Then the surviving veterans are likely to be scum and get lynched.


that is n fact a good point.

any surviving veterans that made it through n5 or so should be lynched for this reason alone. :lol:


Actually, this depends. When I am scum, my N1 priority is to figure out the best player among those who are unlikely to be protected. I would never target one of the most senior veteran players on N1, from fear of wasting that night's kill.
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Image
User avatar
Lieutenant mandalorian2298
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: www.chess.com
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login