bias in mafia

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: bias in mafia

Postby safariguy5 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:13 pm

15. No mafia player ever retires permanently. They all come back sooner or later.
Image
User avatar
Captain safariguy5
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: California
Medals: 69
Conquer Cup Silver Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (6)
General Contribution (8)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue May 29, 2012 8:48 am

Bumping this. Perhaps a sticky or a link in one of the intro threads?
show
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class DoomYoshi
Entertainment Coordinator
Entertainment Coordinator
 
Posts: 3939
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: Termina Field
Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (5)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby strike wolf on Tue May 29, 2012 10:02 am

DoomYoshi wrote:Bumping this. Perhaps a sticky or a link in one of the intro threads?


Maybe a link. I don't think it's worth a sticky by any means.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.
User avatar
Cadet strike wolf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 8011
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Sandy Springs, GA (just north of Atlanta)
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) General Contribution (6)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby everywhere116 on Tue May 29, 2012 3:34 pm

safariguy5 wrote:15. No mafia player ever retires permanently. They all come back sooner or later.
That's not true.
"Disease, suffering, hardship...that is what war is all about."-Captain Kirk, from "A Taste of Armageddon"
User avatar
Corporal everywhere116
 
Posts: 1718
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:37 am
Location: Somewhere on this big blue marble.
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby pmchugh on Tue May 29, 2012 6:46 pm

Haha love this thread, some beltors in here.

I'd like to add:

Effort Bias: If someone prevents long winded defensive posts then they are less likely to be voted as it requires too much effort to lynch them.

Play Style Bias: If someone has an unfamiliar or unconventional play style they are more likely to be seen as scummy even if they always play that way.

Activity Action Bias: The players who talk the most are usually the most prone to having actions taken against them.

Friend Bias: People are more likely to trust their friends and protect them in games. *cough* clever *cough*
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
User avatar
Major pmchugh
 
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:40 pm
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (10) General Contribution (1)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby Rodion on Tue May 29, 2012 7:46 pm

pmchugh wrote:Haha love this thread, some beltors in here.

I'd like to add:

Effort Bias: If someone prevents long winded defensive posts then they are less likely to be voted as it requires too much effort to lynch them.


For some reason, when some players lock their votes on me (Strike, for instance), I die. There is no ammount of effort or logic I can conjure to avoid that. It's really frustrating. :cry:
Image
User avatar
Brigadier Rodion
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Medals: 83
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (27) General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (14) Tournament Contribution (3)
General Contribution (1)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby safariguy5 on Wed May 30, 2012 1:44 am

pmchugh wrote:
Friend Bias: People are more likely to trust their friends and protect them in games. *cough* clever *cough*


I think enough virtual white russians have been knocked back with me and tails too. At least I'd like to think that.
Image
User avatar
Captain safariguy5
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: California
Medals: 69
Conquer Cup Silver Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (6)
General Contribution (8)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby strike wolf on Wed May 30, 2012 2:06 am

safariguy5 wrote:
pmchugh wrote:
Friend Bias: People are more likely to trust their friends and protect them in games. *cough* clever *cough*


I think enough virtual white russians have been knocked back with me and tails too. At least I'd like to think that.


It's kind of different for me. The people who I get along with better I tend to accuse more...maybe it's a "you tend to think like me so why aren't we agreeing bias". It's one of the reasons, I can at times be very critical of you, edoc, Comm9 and pancake in particular. Nothing to do with Rodion. Rodion's just always scummy :D
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.
User avatar
Cadet strike wolf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 8011
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Sandy Springs, GA (just north of Atlanta)
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) General Contribution (6)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Wed May 30, 2012 3:47 am

safariguy5 wrote:
pmchugh wrote:
Friend Bias: People are more likely to trust their friends and protect them in games. *cough* clever *cough*


I think enough virtual white russians have been knocked back with me and tails too. At least I'd like to think that.


:D Now I think I need to have one. It's a good thing I keep a half gallon of home made kahlúa at all times.

But yeah, I think this bias is pretty closely related to my own bias; I hardly ever inv., kill, or pursue cases on players such as you or strike, who practice cautious, rational play, i.e. guys I could have a beer with. I honestly have a hard time ever getting substantive reads on you. Plus, I think it's more fun to have experienced, skillful players at end-game for all the potential of twists. Mostly I find myself responding to eccentric or super-talkative players who play unguardedly (not a word, I know).

-Tails
ImageEight-year olds, Dude.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:52 am
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby pmchugh on Wed May 30, 2012 8:48 am

I guess the friend thing can work different ways. When you are mafia for instance, some people are more inclined to kill their friends for a laugh where as others would want to keep them in the game.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
User avatar
Major pmchugh
 
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:40 pm
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (10) General Contribution (1)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby nagerous on Wed May 30, 2012 12:47 pm

pmchugh wrote:I guess the friend thing can work different ways. When you are mafia for instance, some people are more inclined to kill their friends for a laugh where as others would want to keep them in the game.


Can friend bias work the other way? You're always voting me!
Image
User avatar
Captain nagerous
 
Posts: 8114
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:39 am
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (14)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby pmchugh on Wed May 30, 2012 1:36 pm

nagerous wrote:
pmchugh wrote:I guess the friend thing can work different ways. When you are mafia for instance, some people are more inclined to kill their friends for a laugh where as others would want to keep them in the game.


Can friend bias work the other way? You're always voting me!


Yeah defo, I am always trying to kill you too haha. I just like to see you lose the plot and get so mad you become useless for the rest of the game :D
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
User avatar
Major pmchugh
 
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:40 pm
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (10) General Contribution (1)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby safariguy5 on Thu May 31, 2012 4:32 pm

pmchugh wrote:
nagerous wrote:
pmchugh wrote:I guess the friend thing can work different ways. When you are mafia for instance, some people are more inclined to kill their friends for a laugh where as others would want to keep them in the game.


Can friend bias work the other way? You're always voting me!


Yeah defo, I am always trying to kill you too haha. I just like to see you lose the plot and get so mad you become useless for the rest of the game :D

So therefore, it can come down to a player's personality as you try to subtly influence them? Hmm....
Image
User avatar
Captain safariguy5
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: California
Medals: 69
Conquer Cup Silver Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (6)
General Contribution (8)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby zimmah on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:55 am

pmchugh wrote:Haha love this thread, some beltors in here.

I'd like to add:

Effort Bias: If someone prevents long winded defensive posts then they are less likely to be voted as it requires too much effort to lynch them.

Play Style Bias: If someone has an unfamiliar or unconventional play style they are more likely to be seen as scummy even if they always play that way.

Activity Action Bias: The players who talk the most are usually the most prone to having actions taken against them.

Friend Bias: People are more likely to trust their friends and protect them in games. *cough* clever *cough*



this one is very true and should actually be the opposite, but in reality, it's true.
Image
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class zimmah
 
Posts: 1634
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: VDLL
Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby zimmah on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:57 am

Rodion wrote:
pmchugh wrote:Haha love this thread, some beltors in here.

I'd like to add:

Effort Bias: If someone prevents long winded defensive posts then they are less likely to be voted as it requires too much effort to lynch them.


For some reason, when some players lock their votes on me (Strike, for instance), I die. There is no ammount of effort or logic I can conjure to avoid that. It's really frustrating. :cry:


Sheep bias: whenever one player votes for another player, a lot of players tend to join the bandwagon no matter what kind of defense you pull off.
Image
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class zimmah
 
Posts: 1634
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: VDLL
Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby safariguy5 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:45 pm

zimmah wrote:
Rodion wrote:
pmchugh wrote:Haha love this thread, some beltors in here.

I'd like to add:

Effort Bias: If someone prevents long winded defensive posts then they are less likely to be voted as it requires too much effort to lynch them.


For some reason, when some players lock their votes on me (Strike, for instance), I die. There is no ammount of effort or logic I can conjure to avoid that. It's really frustrating. :cry:


Sheep bias: whenever one player votes for another player, a lot of players tend to join the bandwagon no matter what kind of defense you pull off.

This is tied to the experience and perceived credibility of the player bringing the case about.
Image
User avatar
Captain safariguy5
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: California
Medals: 69
Conquer Cup Silver Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (6)
General Contribution (8)

Re: bias in mafia

Postby Fircoal on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:03 am

pmchugh wrote:I guess the friend thing can work different ways. When you are mafia for instance, some people are more inclined to kill their friends for a laugh where as others would want to keep them in the game.


I personally try to keep my friends around. ALthough trolling is fun. ;3

Also adding:

The Silleh Bais: Players who are often silleh are often taken less seriously than those that play very seriously.

Once A Lurker Bais: If you have a reputation for being a lurker, you're always gonna be suspected of being one. x3
ImageImageVote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
User avatar
Captain Fircoal
 
Posts: 19470
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:53 pm
Location: Abusing Silleh Buizels
Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (2)

Previous

Return to Mafia Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login