Conquer Club

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby chapcrap on Thu May 24, 2012 6:16 pm

In the tournament forum, we allow tournaments one month to get sign ups. Sometimes I give a little leeway if it's a large tournament and/or the TO asks for it. I think something similar could be good here. Does anyone else agree?

Sidenote: Typing this made me want to come up with a name for mafia mods, like TOs. Can we call them something? MM or MO. Mafia mod and mafia organizer...
Lieutenant chapcrap

Re: Sign up limit

Postby jak111 on Thu May 24, 2012 6:20 pm

Well, I'm not sure about others, but I feel this is the one forum where people moderate it themselves, adding moderators and setting time limits will take away from the sense of community involvement and also not let newer game mods host games. New = Less respect/trust = slower time filling.
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu May 24, 2012 6:27 pm

I fully disagree.
â–‘â–’â–’â–“â–“â–“â–’â–’â–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby pmchugh on Thu May 24, 2012 6:49 pm

f*ck off elsewhere with your tournament pish :P
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby Rodion on Thu May 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Agree with Jak.
General Rodion

Postby / on Thu May 24, 2012 7:32 pm

No.
But I do like MO, it sounds all serial killerey. :twisted:
MM does sound yummy though.
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby jak111 on Thu May 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Well rereading what I posted I should clarify a few things for both sides before anyone goes off on the other.

I get the IDEA of it, it's just that this part of the forums we have a well respected and mature group who really look after the entire thing themselves. To add a few moderators would kind of add the feeling of higher ups not thinking us mature enough to look after the forum ourselves.

Really, if we HAD to or WERE to get a few moderators of this forum, I think it should be consisted of people who know this part of the forums well and only act to clean up finished and dropped games. Cleaning up posts in the reserves needed thread when reserves are found, and cleaning up the game announcement thread when the games are finally released to the public.

Besides only acting as a cleaner of those, we don't really need a moderator. Because truly, we're a group that work together to keep the forum clean and look after things in discussion and in the games. (Although a suggestion I would make is add the vacation thread onto the main mafia forum as a sticky because some do not go into mafia discussions to read them, I've only started using mafia discussions back in April).

If there's any other reasons you think we need a moderator, please state them, because right now that's all I can see.
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Postby chapcrap on Thu May 24, 2012 9:56 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:I fully disagree.

Were you disagreeing with me or jak?

Also, there are already mods here, they are just really hands off. My idea wasn't to have moderators, as those already exist. My idea was about a time limit. I'm not really attached or anything. Just wondered what others thought.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby pancakemix on Thu May 24, 2012 10:31 pm

There's been plenty of talk about organization of the mafia forums in the past. The fact is there just aren't enough of us to warrant that kind of action. This is true right now especially. The largest active games cap at 18, quite a step down from the 32 Com and I managed to pull with Memebase last year.

Currently, I think the minimum number of games played before one can mod is too low. Two is certainly enough to grasp the mechanics, but it's not enough to engender trust with the veteran population of the forum.

EDIT: I should add that this influx of untrusted (for lack of a better word) signup threads ends up thinning the pool of players for other games. "I'd like to sign up for game A, but I'm signed up for B and C and already in D, so put me in reserve." You get the picture.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby safariguy5 on Fri May 25, 2012 12:32 am

chapcrap wrote:

Also, there are already mods here, they are just really hands off. My idea wasn't to have moderators, as those already exist. My idea was about a time limit. I'm not really attached or anything. Just wondered what others thought.

I'd like to think I'm a pretty hands on mod, but it's mostly just keeping the announcement and replacement threads tidy and moving finished games.

Again, I'm willing to archive a stalled signups, but that's only with the mod's permission. I don't feel right in moving it arbitrarily.
Captain safariguy5

Postby nagerous on Fri May 25, 2012 11:12 am

chapcrap wrote:

Yeah I am a mafia mod here , I am hands off but I think it works better that way ;) Especially with the temper tantrum aspects because then I could be labelled a hypocrite.. With the games the power for disciplinary action etc lies in the hands of the host of the game aka modkills and blacklists.

No point being too authoritarian on the mods of the games either, like dazza's game has been there a long while, but he still wants to run it so in my view he is perfectly entitled to keep his signup going.
Captain nagerous

Postby chapcrap on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:13 pm

pancakemix wrote:There's been plenty of talk about organization of the mafia forums in the past. The fact is there just aren't enough of us to warrant that kind of action.

I think I agree with that sentiment... I wonder how to get more people involved in the mafia world. If we could maybe I could get my game to fill.

viewtopic.php?f=213&t=170507&p=3772569#p3772569

Saf, nag, I love the mafia mods!! Being hands off isn't always bad! :)
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby vodean on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:28 pm

i just wish they would be around to move threads and try to control blatant flaming ONCE in a while. O:)

Also, i have advertised the two star wars games in the star wars forum.

Im going to advertise the live chat game in live chat. should bring in a couple n00bs
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:34 am

chapcrap wrote:Sidenote: Typing this made me want to come up with a name for mafia mods, like TOs. Can we call them something? MM or MO. Mafia mod and mafia organizer...

Haha, that might not be a bad idea, considering it can get confusing occasionally when we talk about "mods" in the mafia sense when there are TeamCC "mods" present. "Mafia Organizer (MO)" works in the sense of organizing/creating a mafia game and "Mafia Moderator (MM)" works in the sense of maintaining the game, but I wonder if there's a term that would encompass both?

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby vodean on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:53 am

MB. mafia beast.
nuff said
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Postby aage on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:06 am

I'd say there's a difference between a Board Moderator (BM) and a Game Moderator (GM), but I probably will use neither ;p
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby Fircoal on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:05 am

If I remember correctly there was a vote on this and it got voted down.
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby pancakemix on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:21 pm

Fircoal wrote:If I remember correctly there was a vote on this and it got voted down.

Indeed, though that was in the Mafioso forum. The count was a resounding 14-4 against.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Return to Mafia Discussions