Mafia Tournament

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Mafia Tournament

Postby jak111 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:16 pm

That's right. A mafia tournament. I seen this somewhere below or back a few pages but it seriously has seemed to die off for an idea.

This mafia tournament will have the following set up if it's approved.

24 people to start it off.

After the first game 6 of these are eliminated with one method or another.

Now 18 remain. They will be broken up into two games of 9.

4 will be eliminated from each of these games.

Now only 10 remain.

They have one final mafia game and the winner(s) take all, if town/mafia win, only the survivors get the win.


Now.. I'd need help with setting up how people win/lose up until the 10 remain. If there are any suggestions, they would be appreciated. This tournament would need 3 mods. 1 hosts the first game, 2 host the 2nd set of games, and all 3 host the final game.

This... if approved, I hope we can make it into an OFFICIAL Mafia Game Tournament. However, I think we'd need support and help from the actual forum mods to get this set up properly.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"
User avatar
Lieutenant jak111
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: At your deathbed.
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby Yomiel on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:39 pm

Maybe some type of gimmick? 24 people are trapped somewhere and forced to play a deadly game. For the first round of said game, only eighteen will survive and proceed to round two. And these eighteen are chosen or those six are eliminated through some unique thing with a certain deadline? Maybe, like, a series or puzzles? I once played a Mafia game where we had to solve puzzles to get our roles. Maybe solving all the puzzles provided leads to some keyword that enables the player to escape the first level and move on?
User avatar
New Recruit Yomiel
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:10 am

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby vodean on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:54 pm

well if you have to survive to advance, i might as well not even sign up
Image
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
User avatar
Sergeant vodean
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:37 pm
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Vote vodean
vodean wrote:well if you have to survive to advance, i might as well not even sign up


Speedlynch Go Go Go!
show
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class DoomYoshi
Entertainment Contributor
Entertainment Contributor
 
Posts: 3456
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: Termina Field
Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (5)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby Campin_Killer on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:32 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Vote vodean
vodean wrote:well if you have to survive to advance, i might as well not even sign up


Speedlynch Go Go Go!


vodean, Always Mafia Mafia, has been lynched!
Upcoming Tournaments
NCAA Football
In the Trenches - 3 in sign-ups
13 Colonies
8 Thoughts
Africa

Highscore
Image

Image
User avatar
Lieutenant Campin_Killer
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:47 pm
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby edocsil on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:27 pm

jak111 wrote:That's right. A mafia tournament. I seen this somewhere below or back a few pages but it seriously has seemed to die off for an idea.

This mafia tournament will have the following set up if it's approved.

24 people to start it off.

After the first game 6 of these are eliminated with one method or another.

Now 18 remain. They will be broken up into two games of 9.

4 will be eliminated from each of these games.

Now only 10 remain.

They have one final mafia game and the winner(s) take all, if town/mafia win, only the survivors get the win.


Now.. I'd need help with setting up how people win/lose up until the 10 remain. If there are any suggestions, they would be appreciated. This tournament would need 3 mods. 1 hosts the first game, 2 host the 2nd set of games, and all 3 host the final game.

This... if approved, I hope we can make it into an OFFICIAL Mafia Game Tournament. However, I think we'd need support and help from the actual forum mods to get this set up properly.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?


I am interested in modding or playing.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:09 am
Location: The Great State Of Minnesota
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby Nebuchadnezer on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:55 pm

edocsil wrote:
jak111 wrote:That's right. A mafia tournament. I seen this somewhere below or back a few pages but it seriously has seemed to die off for an idea.

This mafia tournament will have the following set up if it's approved.

24 people to start it off.

After the first game 6 of these are eliminated with one method or another.

Now 18 remain. They will be broken up into two games of 9.

4 will be eliminated from each of these games.

Now only 10 remain.

They have one final mafia game and the winner(s) take all, if town/mafia win, only the survivors get the win.


Now.. I'd need help with setting up how people win/lose up until the 10 remain. If there are any suggestions, they would be appreciated. This tournament would need 3 mods. 1 hosts the first game, 2 host the 2nd set of games, and all 3 host the final game.

This... if approved, I hope we can make it into an OFFICIAL Mafia Game Tournament. However, I think we'd need support and help from the actual forum mods to get this set up properly.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?


I am interested in modding or playing.


In.
Captain Nebuchadnezer
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:26 pm
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby thechuck51 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:08 pm

What about this?

say you have 24 players, they get randomly split into two groups of 12.

Each group plays an identical 12 player open setup. then maybe each player is awarded points based on their play.
NK = 1pt
Doc save = 1pt
block a kill = 1 pt
lynch scum = 1 pt for each townie
lynch town = 1 pt for each mafia

or even just award points based on who wins. repeat for a couple more rounds and the person with the most points wins?
Image
Sergeant 1st Class thechuck51
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:40 am
Location: South Jersey
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (7)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby edocsil on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:01 pm

thechuck51 wrote:What about this?

say you have 24 players, they get randomly split into two groups of 12.

Each group plays an identical 12 player open setup. then maybe each player is awarded points based on their play.
NK = 1pt
Doc save = 1pt
block a kill = 1 pt
lynch scum = 1 pt for each townie
lynch town = 1 pt for each mafia

or even just award points based on who wins. repeat for a couple more rounds and the person with the most points wins?



It first I was nodding along, but really when it comes down to it, winning is all. Doing well means nothing if you fail in the end.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:09 am
Location: The Great State Of Minnesota
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby vodean on Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:44 pm

edocsil wrote:
thechuck51 wrote:What about this?

say you have 24 players, they get randomly split into two groups of 12.

Each group plays an identical 12 player open setup. then maybe each player is awarded points based on their play.
NK = 1pt
Doc save = 1pt
block a kill = 1 pt
lynch scum = 1 pt for each townie
lynch town = 1 pt for each mafia

or even just award points based on who wins. repeat for a couple more rounds and the person with the most points wins?



It first I was nodding along, but really when it comes down to it, winning is all. Doing well means nothing if you fail in the end.
also, unless town gets very lucky, there are going to be many more scum-points earned than town ones. which means that people like me that get a lot of scum roles auto-win.

i think it should be 10 games or something, played 2 at a time or something. fixed open set-up in each game. the person with the highest win % as each allignments wins.
Image
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
User avatar
Sergeant vodean
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:37 pm
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby Iron Butterfly on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:02 pm

I will most certainly play.
User avatar
Major Iron Butterfly
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor
 
Posts: 2701
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: New York City
Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Training Achievement (2) General Contribution (7)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby vodean on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:13 pm

vodean wrote:
edocsil wrote:
thechuck51 wrote:What about this?

say you have 24 players, they get randomly split into two groups of 12.

Each group plays an identical 12 player open setup. then maybe each player is awarded points based on their play.
NK = 1pt
Doc save = 1pt
block a kill = 1 pt
lynch scum = 1 pt for each townie
lynch town = 1 pt for each mafia

or even just award points based on who wins. repeat for a couple more rounds and the person with the most points wins?



It first I was nodding along, but really when it comes down to it, winning is all. Doing well means nothing if you fail in the end.
also, unless town gets very lucky, there are going to be many more scum-points earned than town ones. which means that people like me that get a lot of scum roles auto-win.

i think it should be 10 games or something, played 2 at a time or something. fixed open set-up in each game. the person with the highest win % as each allignments wins.
one possible set-up for this would be 20 players. each player is assigned 8 games (which are played 4 at a time). at the end of the 8 games, the top 10 people (still need to decide how we determine that too) advance to the next round, and play 4 games, 2 at a time. then the top players can be determined.
Image
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
User avatar
Sergeant vodean
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:37 pm
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby safariguy5 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:27 pm

I think the top players should be voted on by the players. Mods can definitely input opinions, but a consensus top players can be culled from the games.
Image
User avatar
Captain safariguy5
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: California
Medals: 67
Conquer Cup Silver Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (6)
General Contribution (8)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby Nebuchadnezer on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:51 am

safariguy5 wrote:I think the top players should be voted on by the players. Mods can definitely input opinions, but a consensus top players can be culled from the games.


Yah, the players/mods will know who contributed and who just rode along for the win. But how to quantify? Players/mods vote top 3? Top 5?
Captain Nebuchadnezer
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:26 pm
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby jak111 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:04 am

I was thinking something like the survivors (if there's less than 4) for sure go on. If there's more than 4 survivors at least 3 of the picked MUST be survivors (Otherwise what's the point of winning eh?)

Then most of the rest is picked by fellow players.

Finally there are 2-3 reserved spots that only the mod can choose (they will know who was what and how hard they've tried or succeeded).

The only reason I want this to be diverse in how the contestants move on is because I do not want this to become a popularity contest (Let's face it, I'd win that hands down :roll: :lol: ).

Saf seems good with balance + he is an entertainment mod, so I was thinking of asking him to step up to be one of the mods/judges for the tourny.

I was thinking of trying to help out, but I fear that I may not have the time to dedicate to this AND Halo (+ the story mafia coming up at the turn of 2013).

But seriously. How shall we get the mods and judges for the tourny? Votes? Elections?

Right now the two of three that I think would be good are

/, for his randomness of games that let people go into a different play style.

Saf, for his balance, pretty much any game he mods or any games he helped balance seem to have turned out good in balancing wise.

For me, the 3rd spot would be open to picks.

But anyone else have ideas?
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"
User avatar
Lieutenant jak111
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: At your deathbed.
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (1)

Next

Return to Mafia Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login