Mafia Tournament

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:50 pm

jgordon1111 wrote:
safariguy5 wrote:
jgordon1111 wrote:Then try having the MOD along with 2 other non in game players that have alot of MOD experience decide who gets points,depending on roles and gameplay, You guys know who is floating and who is playing,that along with their respective role no matter what it is,what and how much they contributed. example if they were a VT that during gameplay specifically drew mafia out to kill them instead of a power role.

obverse of this would be someone who wanted to BW lynch everyone that was put forward with no evidence,even a player who is mafia is not that dumb.

By that approach, we open ourselves up to certain player biases. Certainly, the more experienced we are, the chummier we tend to be with other experienced players. It's like the C&A forum, there's a possibility for disconnect with what the community believes should be right and what the mods think is right. I'd prefer a vote of the top 3 or whatever and award points that way because the players of the game have read every post and certainly know where the pivotal moments are.



I understand what your saying SAF,and the reason I put in my statement experienced mods,was to try and get them to be unbiased. the players put forth the players they think were the best,then the MODS award the points.

Inherent flaw in your plan chuck,players would have to be assigned roles in order to ensure points were even. Then you get to the last couple of games you then just deduce who havent had what roles,mafia dies quickly. probably D1

I'm fine with that idea. Have the players nominate the best players, and then have the mods decide who gets the most points, 2nd most, etc. If people like that system for awarding points, I'm happy with it as well.
Image
User avatar
Captain safariguy5
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: California
Medals: 69
Conquer Cup Silver Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (6)
General Contribution (8)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby edocsil on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:52 am

safariguy5 wrote:I'm fine with that idea. Have the players nominate the best players, and then have the mods decide who gets the most points, 2nd most, etc. If people like that system for awarding points, I'm happy with it as well.


Seconded. MVP the top 3, and not necessarily from the winning side. I have seen some brilliant moves lately, that may or not be rewarded with a win.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:09 am
Location: The Great State Of Minnesota
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby aage on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:51 am

In the third round each game will auto-lynch the player with the highest score so far to prevent him from gaining points (since dead players cannot play). You would have to find a way to avoid that scenario. Giving more points to certain roles in case of a win does not seem fair to me with the possible exception of an SK, which I simply suggest not to include.


I like the suggestion put forward by Saf, but I fear people will look for personal gain in ranking rather than what actually is fair. They're mafia players, after all.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class aage
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:23 pm
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby jak111 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:00 am

aage wrote:In the third round each game will auto-lynch the player with the highest score so far to prevent him from gaining points (since dead players cannot play). You would have to find a way to avoid that scenario. Giving more points to certain roles in case of a win does not seem fair to me with the possible exception of an SK, which I simply suggest not to include.


I like the suggestion put forward by Saf, but I fear people will look for personal gain in ranking rather than what actually is fair. They're mafia players, after all.


This is why points would be of secrecy among the mods. The points would only be revealed at the end of the tourny, all people will know is that they got enough to get passed through to the next round.
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
User avatar
Private 1st Class jak111
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: At your deathbed.
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (5) Challenge Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby LSU Tiger Josh on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:16 pm

as i suggested to jak when he first opened this have the last 4 or so spots be picked by the mods to fix overlooked great play. if need be i can increase alphabet mzfia to 24 players and mod round 1 by postponing it slightly since i have had several successful games before or even do a civil war type setup if players preferred that
LSU Fighting Tigers The 2003 & 2007 National Football Champions
Irony at its finest
Yomiel wrote:As I said, I DID. He responded very badly both times. He won't even consider that he made a mistake, and this behavior is hurting the game.
Private 1st Class LSU Tiger Josh
 
Posts: 4018
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:00 pm
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby aage on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:18 pm

jak111 wrote:
aage wrote:In the third round each game will auto-lynch the player with the highest score so far to prevent him from gaining points (since dead players cannot play). You would have to find a way to avoid that scenario. Giving more points to certain roles in case of a win does not seem fair to me with the possible exception of an SK, which I simply suggest not to include.


I like the suggestion put forward by Saf, but I fear people will look for personal gain in ranking rather than what actually is fair. They're mafia players, after all.


This is why points would be of secrecy among the mods. The points would only be revealed at the end of the tourny, all people will know is that they got enough to get passed through to the next round.

I know, but if mods would judge the game fairly players should be more than capable of deciphering which players have generally scored best. Still, if the points are kept secret that's good and I would play.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class aage
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:23 pm
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby jak111 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:32 pm

Another question would be, is there a theme? If so, what around? Spies? Religion (Touchy subject, but has plenty of good potential characters, and I mean not in the actual god, jesus, etc concept, but Templars and other religious wars)? Mythology? Science Fiction? etc.

Hmmm... I think we should withhold role PM's AND Night Actions until the end of the tournament, this would give players less of a view of who's doing what and how good.

Also, should the games have standard roles? Rare? Unique?

The mafia:town ratio should be either 1:3 or 1:4 or somewhere in between. I think Safari is good with balancing that sort of thing.

Also, how much should the 3rd parties be waged into it? Are they almost their own faction by having 2-3, or is it a single survivor/SK/Cult?

Do we have multiple mafia factions? If so, how many? Balance?

Do we have multiple town factions to throw people off? If so, what are the results if cop of Town A investigates a player from town B? Guilty? Innocent?

These are some of the factors and little things that must be thought about. Although I'm thinking the first two rounds can be whatever, but the final shouldn't be any game changer roles or bs roles, just standard Mafia. No Dethy's or anything like that. While the first two rounds could be whatever to test people's abilities to play.

Another thing about setting them up is that we strain the player's ability to play here. We don't make it too easy, nor too hard, but we make it so they must use every bit of knowledge they pick up from other mafia games.
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
User avatar
Private 1st Class jak111
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: At your deathbed.
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (5) Challenge Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby zimmah on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:54 pm

vodean wrote:
edocsil wrote:
thechuck51 wrote:What about this?

say you have 24 players, they get randomly split into two groups of 12.

Each group plays an identical 12 player open setup. then maybe each player is awarded points based on their play.
NK = 1pt
Doc save = 1pt
block a kill = 1 pt
lynch scum = 1 pt for each townie
lynch town = 1 pt for each mafia

or even just award points based on who wins. repeat for a couple more rounds and the person with the most points wins?



It first I was nodding along, but really when it comes down to it, winning is all. Doing well means nothing if you fail in the end.
also, unless town gets very lucky, there are going to be many more scum-points earned than town ones. which means that people like me that get a lot of scum roles auto-win.

i think it should be 10 games or something, played 2 at a time or something. fixed open set-up in each game. the person with the highest win % as each allignments wins.


No, his system seems a bit like my Romeo and Juliet mafia. Not really like traditional mafia.
Image
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class zimmah
 
Posts: 1634
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: VDLL
Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby LSU Tiger Josh on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:54 pm

not sure who you were talking to zimmah but there is nothing wrong with nontraditional mafia to keep players on their toes. if you were referring to me i have done several traditional and nontraditional mafia games back when i modded a lot
LSU Fighting Tigers The 2003 & 2007 National Football Champions
Irony at its finest
Yomiel wrote:As I said, I DID. He responded very badly both times. He won't even consider that he made a mistake, and this behavior is hurting the game.
Private 1st Class LSU Tiger Josh
 
Posts: 4018
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:00 pm
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby edocsil on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:14 pm

jak111 wrote:
aage wrote:In the third round each game will auto-lynch the player with the highest score so far to prevent him from gaining points (since dead players cannot play). You would have to find a way to avoid that scenario. Giving more points to certain roles in case of a win does not seem fair to me with the possible exception of an SK, which I simply suggest not to include.


I like the suggestion put forward by Saf, but I fear people will look for personal gain in ranking rather than what actually is fair. They're mafia players, after all.


This is why points would be of secrecy among the mods. The points would only be revealed at the end of the tourny, all people will know is that they got enough to get passed through to the next round.


Or we could just modkill for gross abuse of the system.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:09 am
Location: The Great State Of Minnesota
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby / on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:35 pm

I'd be glad to help mod if you still need me. :D
I like chuck's idea, but perhaps more individual achievements than an escalating scale, since the later can get sort of meta.
More players with minor ulterior motives like usurpers, town with slight lyncher goals, or players who want to keep specific players alive.
"You are the town vigilante
You receive one point if you personally kill the mafia roleblocker
3 points if town wins
3 points if you personally kill the mafia godfather
3 points if you never hit town with a kill"
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class /
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:41 am
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby edocsil on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:54 pm

/ wrote:I'd be glad to help mod if you still need me. :D
I like chuck's idea, but perhaps more individual achievements than an escalating scale, since the later can get sort of meta.
More players with minor ulterior motives like usurpers, town with slight lyncher goals, or players who want to keep specific players alive.
"You are the town vigilante
You receive one point if you personally kill the mafia roleblocker
3 points if town wins
3 points if you personally kill the mafia godfather
3 points if you never hit town with a kill"


I could be down for this. Points shouldn't be public, and that will keep down on the Meta, and prevent issues. Give each character a few "tasks" for a reasonable amount of points, rather than for every successive action.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:09 am
Location: The Great State Of Minnesota
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby safariguy5 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:29 pm

edocsil wrote:
/ wrote:I'd be glad to help mod if you still need me. :D
I like chuck's idea, but perhaps more individual achievements than an escalating scale, since the later can get sort of meta.
More players with minor ulterior motives like usurpers, town with slight lyncher goals, or players who want to keep specific players alive.
"You are the town vigilante
You receive one point if you personally kill the mafia roleblocker
3 points if town wins
3 points if you personally kill the mafia godfather
3 points if you never hit town with a kill"


I could be down for this. Points shouldn't be public, and that will keep down on the Meta, and prevent issues. Give each character a few "tasks" for a reasonable amount of points, rather than for every successive action.

Might take a bit of discussion about point values between the mods to standardize things, but it definitely could be interesting.

As for theme, I don't think it matters. If it's objective based, then I'd put just about any role on the table. Lynchers and survivors, SKer's and Cult. Multiple mafia factions even.
Image
User avatar
Captain safariguy5
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: California
Medals: 69
Conquer Cup Silver Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (6)
General Contribution (8)

Previous

Return to Mafia Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron
Login