Conquer Club

PKMN Chap 2: Day 6(5/18)

Housing completed games. Come take a walk through a history of suspicion!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: ++Pokemon Chap 2: Struggle for Japan ++ (16/18)

Postby zimmah on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:26 am

Click image to enlarge.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:44 pm

whoa. never thought I'd see this thread sink to the bottom.

SNORLAX, USE SURF!

*SNORLAX used surf

-SG7 ( 8-) )
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby pancakemix on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:13 am

I always taught my Snorlax Surf. It was very useful.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby kratos644 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Just two more players!
Best Score: 2799, Best Rank: Colonel, Best Scoreboard Spot: 126
Funniest Game:Game 1675072
Sickest Game:Game 2975352
Major kratos644

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Even though I personally feel they are just gimmicks, and most hardocore gamers agree, it seems the casual market is just too large now.

XBOX kinect is the fastest selling gadget of all time. It has sold around 10 million copies. PS move isn't doing terribly either, with around 9 million units sold.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby zimmah on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:19 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Even though I personally feel they are just gimmicks, and most hardocore gamers agree, it seems the casual market is just too large now.

XBOX kinect is the fastest selling gadget of all time. It has sold around 10 million copies. PS move isn't doing terribly either, with around 9 million units sold.

more and more games are indeed focusing on the casual market, the idea is everyone and their dog should be able to do it.

a sideeffect is that even the more hardcore and oldschool games are getting more and more easier remakes.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby pancakemix on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:30 pm

zimmah wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:Even though I personally feel they are just gimmicks, and most hardocore gamers agree, it seems the casual market is just too large now.

more and more games are indeed focusing on the casual market, the idea is everyone and their dog should be able to do it.

a sideeffect is that even the more hardcore and oldschool games are getting more and more easier remakes.

I'm not really concerned with difficulty. That's why there are difficulty settings in any half-decent game. Me, I go for storytelling and immersion. THAT's what's really getting lost.

That's part of why I didn't like Pokemon B/W. It felt more like a step by step process than a journey.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:50 pm

pancakemix wrote:
zimmah wrote:

I'm not really concerned with difficulty. That's why there are difficulty settings in any half-decent game. Me, I go for storytelling and immersion. THAT's what's really getting lost.

That's part of why I didn't like Pokemon B/W. It felt more like a step by step process than a journey.

Storytelling? Last time somebody tried to tell a story it was ME3. Look where that got them. But yea, I agree with you. I used to be a hardcore gamer. I still am, in a sense, but I don't like difficult games anymore. Gone are the days when I had the time to get 5 gold chocobos. Now, I prefer something like Loom, which has no way you can die or get stuck. Still a hardcore game in one sense (the majority of people wouldn't touch Loom today) but not hardcore in the sense that there is a serious time commitment which requires you to be 'good' at a game.

I think how I define it is: 'anything more difficult or immersive than a random title pulled from the canon Legend of Zelda series is a hardcore game'. Anyone else agree with that definition?
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby kratos644 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:35 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
pancakemix wrote:
zimmah wrote:

Storytelling? Last time somebody tried to tell a story it was ME3. Look where that got them. But yea, I agree with you. I used to be a hardcore gamer. I still am, in a sense, but I don't like difficult games anymore. Gone are the days when I had the time to get 5 gold chocobos. Now, I prefer something like Loom, which has no way you can die or get stuck. Still a hardcore game in one sense (the majority of people wouldn't touch Loom today) but not hardcore in the sense that there is a serious time commitment which requires you to be 'good' at a game.

I think how I define it is: 'anything more difficult or immersive than a random title pulled from the canon Legend of Zelda series is a hardcore game'. Anyone else agree with that definition?

I think by storytelling he likely just means does the game have a good plot to it and how well does it draw you in. For example FF7 has an amazing plot. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried a little when Aeris died the first time I played it. A game that can draw those different emotions from you makes for quite the game but unfortunately they're rather rare nowadays because designers just don't care thanks to the casual market being so large.

I can dig your definition using Zelda though
Major kratos644

Postby pancakemix on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:45 pm

Storytelling? Last time somebody tried to tell a story it was ME3. Look where that got them.

Well, if you don't f*ck it up that bad, you're golden in my book. Even that was fantastic until the last 10 minutes. But that's a fair point, I feel like video games are a medium that could be used for storytelling along the lines of cinema, Mass Effect being a prime example. It's definitely a squandered opportunity at this point, though.

Zelda's a good measuring stick, I think, at least as far as immersion is concerned. That said, I've never considered Zelda games to be difficult, because while the puzzles can be hard, rarely is there pressure to solve the puzzle quickly. Even taking a hit in combat is hardly threatening, even with only 4-5 hearts.

While I'm on that subject, Skyward Sword and Mass Effect 3 are the main reasons why I've all but given up on gaming.

I think by storytelling he likely just means does the game have a good plot to it and how well does it draw you in. For example FF7 has an amazing plot. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried a little when Aeris died the first time I played it. A game that can draw those different emotions from you makes for quite the game but unfortunately they're rather rare nowadays because designers just don't care thanks to the casual market being so large.

I can dig your definition using Zelda though

I've said it before, I'll say it again: FF7 was painful to play in all aspects. Granted, I played it almost 15 years after release, but I found the gameplay reprehensible and the characters and plot to be driven by utter nonsense, becoming so annoyed by Cloud in particular that I couldn't even finish it (Having read a full synopsis of the plot, I stand by my assessments).

And I'll admit, I chuckled at Aeris' death because it was so corny I couldn't help myself.

Consider that JRPGs aren't my thing and take my opinion with a grain of salt (a rather large grain of salt).
Epic Win

Postby zimmah on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:49 pm

pancakemix wrote:
zimmah wrote:

who needs a story as long as you can shoot on things that are allready dead.

but i agree with doomyoshi, i also used to spend way more time on hard games then i am now, i guess i'm 'spoiled' by all the easy games and once a game gets hard i'll usually just pick up an easier game unless the story is REALY good. (or the gameplay). but it does sadden me that so few games have a good story anymore.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby pmchugh on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:58 pm

If the game isn't as active as this pre-amble I will get on everyones tits :D

Recent game I played that was good for story line was Heavy Rain on ps3. Of course the story alters according to how you play it but it was really fun trying to work out who the killer was. That could make a good mafia game actually.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:45 pm

POKeMON!

*Our courage will pull us through /\ _ /\

-SG7 ( 8-) )
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby Fircoal on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:43 pm

pancakemix wrote:
zimmah wrote:

I personally felt enthralled by Pokemon B/W. :P
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Fircoal wrote:
pancakemix wrote:
zimmah wrote:

I personally felt enthralled by Pokemon B/W. :P

Well, if that's not a declaration of intent to play, I don't know what is.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Re: ++Pokemon Chap 2: Struggle for Japan ++ (17/18)

Postby freezie on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:01 pm

Well, now that I am dead in power role..you can move me in the player list..

And I swear I'll claim miller again if I get that XD
Corporal 1st Class freezie

Postby kratos644 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:12 pm

freezie wrote:Well, now that I am dead in power role..you can move me in the player list..

Haha that was certainly an interesting time.
Major kratos644

Postby pmchugh on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:12 pm

freezie wrote:Well, now that I am dead in power role..you can move me in the player list..

Claiming miller... talk about scummy lol.
Major pmchugh

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:59 pm

Ok, perfect. We are ready to go then. I just need to finalize the roles and send them out. I will try to do that tonight. Weekends aren't great for me though. I will leave it saying 17/18 though, just on case I can trick a few more reserves into playing.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:39 pm

Ok, 7 0f 18 roles are 100% written up. I gotta go now, but will crank out a couple more tomorrow and then finish Monday.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby freezie on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:46 pm

pmchugh wrote:

Yea well..I really was a town miller last pokemon game, and claimed it on my very first post.

If I get pressured into a claim, a miller one would kill me on the spot...so..yea.
Corporal 1st Class freezie

Postby pmchugh on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:39 pm

freezie wrote:
pmchugh wrote:

Yea well..I really was a town miller last pokemon game, and claimed it on my very first post.

If I get pressured into a claim, a miller one would kill me on the spot...so..yea.

:lol: I probably wouldn't tell a miller they were one but that would be fun as hell to do first post as mafia lol. You would probably get away with it, as it is ballsy.
Major pmchugh

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:42 pm

If claiming miller when you get it becomes standard play I'm SO making a game where every townie is a miller.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:If claiming miller when you get it becomes standard play I'm SO making a game where every townie is a miller.

It would be better if you only told half the players they were millers lol.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:45 pm

Alright 11.5 roles totally finished.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia Archives