Conquer Club

Mordag's Little Finger, a GURPS RPG - Game Info/OOC

Comment games, quizzes, trivia, elimination games, etc...

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Mordag's Little Finger, a GURPS RPG - Game Info/OOC

Postby MeDeFe on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:14 pm

tkr4lf wrote:
Gillipig wrote:Who's you wife? tkr4lf or / :)?

I'm a dude...dude.

That's funny, I just watched The Big Lebowski yesterday.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby Woodruff on Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:49 pm

Naw...IchLiebeMyCats is her userid - she joined only for the RPG. She HATES Risk...when we were first married, I literally bribed her (with chores and such) to play "Risk" and "Axis and Allies" with me.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby / on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Woodruff wrote:

Naw...IchLiebeMyCats is her userid - she joined only for the RPG. She HATES Risk...when we were first married, I literally bribed her (with chores and such) to play "Risk" and "Axis and Allies" with me.

So who's your cat? MeDeFe? :P
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby MeDeFe on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:00 am

/ wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Major MeDeFe

Postby Woodruff on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:30 am

/ wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Actually, we have three. A 17-year-old Siamese. A 30-pound 6-year-old Maine Coon (he is NOT fat at all...there are pictures of him somewhere on this site...from the floor, he could pull pans off of the front stove burners at 18 months old). A 19-pound 3 year old Maine Coon (again, not fat at all).
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Woodruff on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:32 pm

So did the game die an ugly death already?

Postby / on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:54 pm

I hope not!
Do we have the needed character sheets done, macbone?
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby Gillipig on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:12 am

I was looking forward to this :(.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Gillipig on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:15 am

Where is it possible to find other games like this? I've been googling without any luck so far.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Woodruff on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:38 pm

Gillipig wrote:Where is it possible to find other games like this? I've been googling without any luck so far.

Good question. I normally play "live", to be honest.

Postby / on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:20 pm

I was looking at this site when researching how this game worked, it looks pretty good, but it does seem to take quite a bit of time. I would guess most online role playing is a bit of a slow and steady process, which is why I will not give up on this one until macbone posts otherwise, I still have my hopes up for this, and I can tell that macbone puts a lot of work into his posts, I'm sure the end result should be something grand if we start, and plenty worth waiting for. :D
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby Woodruff on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:47 pm

/ wrote:I was looking at this site when researching how this game worked, it looks pretty good, but it does seem to take quite a bit of time. I would guess most online role playing is a bit of a slow and steady process, which is why I will not give up on this one until macbone posts otherwise, I still have my hopes up for this, and I can tell that macbone puts a lot of work into his posts, I'm sure the end result should be something grand if we start, and plenty worth waiting for. :D

I agree.

Meanwhile, a picture of my cat (not MeDeFe, though it might be more impressive):

Postby macbone on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:17 pm

Don't panic, we're still playing! I've just been busy these past two weeks.

I divide my time between Conquer Club and rpol.net, which has a nice selection of all kinds of roleplaying games.

I'm checking characters now. When I'm finished, we'll start, and I'll begin a separate thread for our actual game play. This thread will remain open for any questions or out of character comments.
Colonel macbone

Postby Gillipig on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:52 am

Wow, didn't expect this. Should be awesome when it starts!

Nice cat btw woody. Is it a Norwegian forest cat? I had one of those when I was a kid.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Woodruff on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:05 am

Gillipig wrote:Nice cat btw woody. Is it a Norwegian forest cat? I had one of those when I was a kid.

He's a Maine Coon Cat, which is considered to be a likely distant relative of the Norwegian. They're neat cats, and obviously huge (that's a normal-sized laundry basket he's lying on). They're almost like dogs in that they follow you around the house and just "hang out" with whoever is there. Not lap cats though (thank God!). Probably the only drawback to them is that they are hyper-timid (yeah...weird, given their size). They freak over the weirdest things.

Postby Gillipig on Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:17 pm

Cats like to lie on clothes but not wear them lol. I remember the cat we had when I was young, she loved to lie in the dirty cloth basket.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Gillipig on Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:28 am

Macbone, why haven't you sent us a message proclaiming that this has been called off? Doesn't take much effort and would be the decent thing to do especially after you got our hopes up earlier.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby MeDeFe on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:51 am

Well, I suppose in a pinch we could just make shit up and freeform something.
Major MeDeFe

Postby Gillipig on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 pm

MeDeFe wrote:Well, I suppose in a pinch we could just make shit up and freeform something.

You might have something there MeDe!
I don't understand GURPS or any of the techincal stuff behind calculating the probability of events. From what I've understood, among us only macbone knows the speficics of how to run the game within the agreed upon settings. But if we were to create a different type of game, more geared towards spontaneous writing than statistics, then I have a suggestion for a system.

My suggestion is that we remove the character sheets we currently have and forget about the math behind this. We write a more detailed description of our characters (preferably still the same characters however), describe their possessions, abilities, fears, physical attributes and where the story starts for them. Some stories of their past is also appreciated of course.
And then without any grand plan or future story in mind we begin writing. I suggest we decide the order in which we are allowed to post our story, for example Woodruff get's to go first, then it's MeDeFe's turn etc, this will make it's easier to follow the story. To make a bit of a game out of it, after someone has posted his story, another member of our game gets to write an alternative ending to the one recently posted. So if Woodruff write a story about his gnome thief successfully robing a merchant, I for example borrow the majority of the story but give it another ending or twist. Maybe the gnome thief fails and goes to jail!?
The rest of the players then gets to vote which story they liked the best, and the story that gets the most votes is the one we will count. This could be a lot of fun and good practice in "selling" your story, and also of finding ways to improve stories and understanding what the reader wants.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby / on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:55 pm

An interesting idea, I admit I don't have much hope after a month+ of waiting since the last post, I'm willing to give it a go. :D
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby Gillipig on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:00 am

/ wrote:An interesting idea, I admit I don't have much hope after a month+ of waiting since the last post, I'm willing to give it a go. :D

Great! You're onboard :)!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby MeDeFe on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:54 am

I'd keep the sheets and stats actually. The GURP system really is very simple, you roll three six-sided dice and try to beat a difficulty. We probably should be conservative about it, but any situation where there's a risk should include the possibility of going wrong, even horribly wrong.
Major MeDeFe

Postby Woodruff on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:47 am

I have Dungeon-Mastered before, but I have zero experience with the particular world that macbone was planning to use.

I don't know that I'm particularly interested in a non-statistically-based gaming aspect, to be honest. That was always sort of the "thrill" of gaming for me. Hell, I even used dice-rolls to create my character.

Postby Gillipig on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:38 pm

MeDeFe wrote:I'd keep the sheets and stats actually. The GURP system really is very simple, you roll three six-sided dice and try to beat a difficulty. We probably should be conservative about it, but any situation where there's a risk should include the possibility of going wrong, even horribly wrong.

Woodruff wrote:I have Dungeon-Mastered before, but I have zero experience with the particular world that macbone was planning to use.

I don't know that I'm particularly interested in a non-statistically-based gaming aspect, to be honest. That was always sort of the "thrill" of gaming for me. Hell, I even used dice-rolls to create my character.

Sounds like you guys are very much in the same boat. Creative writing was what got me interested in the game, the formulas were for me the means to make it work, not the fun part.
Do you really think we could make it work using the dice without having a mod? The suggestion I made included a sort of self modding, but here we have no such thing.
Nothing prevents characters from quickly dying off for example. What if my character has to do a leap over a cliff and you'd have the dice determine whether he succeeds or not. Exciting for a few seconds perhaps but I think these types of dilemmas will just make us hesitate to come up with storylines where our characters are in real danger.
That's certainly not how you go about making interesting storylines. If a writer has to worry about his main character dying off early on by some minor threat, he's not going to put his character in much danger. So that's a big minus.
There's also the problem with no interaction from other players/members in the text. When macbone was the mod he would've been able to make some adjustments to the text or tell us that it's not really possible/plausible to do "x", and my suggestion was built on letting other users come up with alternative stories to the ones written. But we have no moderation at all if we just go with the same concept minus macbone. At the very least we need to deal with moderation issue before we attempt to make it work.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Drakkon on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:46 pm

if it winds up being D&D format, say 3.5, I am in... but I understand the issue of no DM. Would anyone want to take on thay role?
Major Drakkon

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Games