Conquer Club

Beef Cuts Idea

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Beef Cuts Idea

Postby natty dread on Thu May 06, 2010 8:49 am

I kind of foresaw that.

You're not the only one... ;)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu May 06, 2010 10:35 am

Industrial Helix wrote:
natty_dread wrote:The mapmaker seems to have disappeared...

I kind of foresaw that. But he's logged in today and is taking his turn on games. I hope he does return because he's got some interesting ideas.

If he doesn't, someone should at least PM him for permission to continue with this gem.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu May 06, 2010 10:46 am

I wonder if permission is even needed, something similar could be made in a separate thread.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby natty dread on Thu May 06, 2010 10:49 am

Industrial Helix wrote:I wonder if permission is even needed, something similar could be made in a separate thread.

You can't copyright an idea. Anyone is free to make a map of the same subject. Otherwise we wouldn't have umpty-zillion maps of europe and north-america... ;)

Postby carlpgoodrich on Thu May 06, 2010 12:43 pm

FrancisBoyle wrote:I think there should be a PETA or some other animal rights group territory that can bombard all territories on the cow.

Wouldn't it be the local steak-eating champ who could bombard the whole cow? And then the PETA protester could attack him! Haha.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu May 06, 2010 1:48 pm

natty_dread wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:I wonder if permission is even needed, something similar could be made in a separate thread.

You can't copyright an idea. Anyone is free to make a map of the same subject. Otherwise we wouldn't have umpty-zillion maps of europe and north-america... ;)

Not permission. Blessings, maybe? It'd be a bother if he came back after a while and got upset because someone took his map idea.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Thu May 06, 2010 2:00 pm

Perhaps it would be best to enquire whether he intends to resume working on this project, before we start looking for a substitute for finishing his job...

Postby The Bison King on Thu May 06, 2010 6:22 pm

natty_dread wrote:Perhaps it would be best to enquire whether he intends to resume working on this project, before we start looking for a substitute for finishing his job...

that's a good Idea. Any takers? if not I'll do it.
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu May 06, 2010 6:35 pm

I've PMed Squidward about this. I haven't gotten a response yet.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Squidward on Thu May 06, 2010 7:33 pm

Hey guys, I'm sorry for disappearing. For some reason whenever I checked my posts, it always said this one had no new replies, so I never bothered looking at it.
Anyway, at first I got the impression that no one was too interested in this, but I guess I was wrong. I'll definitely keep working on it.

Right now, the territories are just kind of randomly placed in the regions, so I'll try to place those out more strategically. If anyone has any suggestions or advice, please let me know.
Private 1st Class Squidward

Postby Squidward on Thu May 06, 2010 7:45 pm

Unfortunately, my computer is getting repairs right now, and I'm forced to use my old laptop that doesn't have photoshop or anything on it. So it might be a week or so before I can do any work on the map, sorry.

EDIT: Nevermind, I do have photoshop
Last edited by Squidward on Fri May 07, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu May 06, 2010 7:55 pm

As far as territorial arrangements: In general, it's good practice to avoid 4-way corners like you have in Thick Flank, Flank, Silver Side, Sirloin, and Thick Rib.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby army of nobunaga on Thu May 06, 2010 8:19 pm

i like small maps, i like new art ideas... but im not sure if this will play without some kind of gameplay tweak ... at least im rooting for a gameplay tweak
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu May 06, 2010 8:53 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:i like small maps, i like new art ideas... but im not sure if this will play without some kind of gameplay tweak ... at least im rooting for a gameplay tweak

I think this map could easily survive on standard gameplay. Simple and fun.

though something like lots of small bonuses could help.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby army of nobunaga on Thu May 06, 2010 8:58 pm

just saying... if I drew this out as circles and posts... people would look at it and say.. "what else you got"

the guy puts a cow around VERY VERY Very simple regions.. with no borders... and ppl are like "Erg cow, I like"

if I did this same map with a celery stalk in the background... I would make it about 5 replys on this thread.

Jsut my opinion.
Maps Maps Maps!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby DAAAAAAANG on Thu May 06, 2010 9:17 pm

carlpgoodrich wrote:
FrancisBoyle wrote:I think there should be a PETA or some other animal rights group territory that can bombard all territories on the cow.

Wouldn't it be the local steak-eating champ who could bombard the whole cow? And then the PETA protester could attack him! Haha.

That sounds good. How about a butcher too?
Major DAAAAAAANG

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu May 06, 2010 10:45 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:just saying... if I drew this out as circles and posts... people would look at it and say.. "what else you got"

the guy puts a cow around VERY VERY Very simple regions.. with no borders... and ppl are like "Erg cow, I like"

if I did this same map with a celery stalk in the background... I would make it about 5 replys on this thread.

Jsut my opinion.

Well, there's no reason to stop making classic gameplay maps. If the theme works, it shouldn't be obligatory to complicate it.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Bruceswar on Fri May 07, 2010 2:36 am

Evil DIMwit wrote:
army of nobunaga wrote:just saying... if I drew this out as circles and posts... people would look at it and say.. "what else you got"

Jsut my opinion.

Well, there's no reason to stop making classic gameplay maps. If the theme works, it shouldn't be obligatory to complicate it.

I agree... Beef Cuts will be a hit!
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri May 07, 2010 2:39 am

Jsut my opinion.

I totally see your point of view and agree. But the same concept could be extended to, say, the American Civil War. People see a group of army circles and shapes similar to states and they say "Erg Civil War, I like."

I think for the first map standard gameplay is reasonably ok. The problem comes when we have Pork cuts and Lamb Cuts.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby The Bison King on Fri May 07, 2010 7:11 am

just saying... if I drew this out as circles and posts... people would look at it and say.. "what else you got"

Jsut my opinion.

Don't be such a hater. Cows are funny. Celery isn't as funny as a cow. Also cut's of beef are a real thing, celery cuts aren't. Sorry you don't find the same simple appeal in this map as some of the rest of us. If you don't like it that's fine, but don't be a jerk about it.
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby army of nobunaga on Fri May 07, 2010 1:04 pm

not being a jerk. Lets say a salad then.. Ill take a picture of my salad today and put these same regions and schematics inside that salad. This isnt even as intricate as madagascar or lux, which has real gameplay design.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri May 07, 2010 1:15 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:not being a jerk. Lets say a salad then.. Ill take a picture of my salad today and put these same regions and schematics inside that salad. This isnt even as intricate as madagascar or lux, which has real gameplay design.

Well, if you think the gameplay design here could use improvements, or even a full overhaul, you're welcome to suggest some.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby army of nobunaga on Fri May 07, 2010 5:59 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
army of nobunaga wrote:not being a jerk. Lets say a salad then.. Ill take a picture of my salad today and put these same regions and schematics inside that salad. This isnt even as intricate as madagascar or lux, which has real gameplay design.

Well, if you think the gameplay design here could use improvements, or even a full overhaul, you're welcome to suggest some.

fair enough... There needs to be less of a regional "island" idea. As it stands, when the drops come out, people will all get their little island bonuses and protect the chokepoints. At least I would and the people I play with would. looks like some automatic deadlock in a no spoils game.

I would get rid of the sticks and make adjoining regions. There needs natural barriers like the ribbones (not to be confused with the ribmeat).. ummm noone eats the heart, it could be a barrier too .. Ill think on it.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby Squidward on Fri May 07, 2010 9:22 pm

Beef Cuts, version 2:
(64 territories, 13 regions)

Click image to enlarge.

Also, here's a basic version that just shows the layout of the territories, so it's easier to look at the gameplay. (And I put it over a celery stalk for army of nobunaga :D )

Let me know what you think.

Postby army of nobunaga on Fri May 07, 2010 9:29 pm

i like the celery
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas