Conquer Club

Fort of France(Vauban) -> V3

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Fort of France(Vauban) -> V1, need some comment

Postby DubWarrior on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:54 pm

2 things I like to add:
- a clickable extra map is, as for as I know- correct me if I'm wrong - not possible with the current XML and internet-browsers. But we can replace the pop-up by using a detailed sort of mini map.
- A slow-motion feature for reinforcement depends on the gameplay options. If a player choses to play with unlimited reinforcements he choses to play this sort of game, even if it's not realistic. It's not possible to take this option away and always play with 'adjacent reinforcement' (the most realistic reinforcement) because we put it in the code. Alternatives are: more regions on certain roads (so a greater need of conquering regions before being able of moving on, this means slower progress) or fewer links with other regions. Or eventually a -1 region. (this means: difficult terrain to move with smaller armies).

Canons to me means bombardment: so being able to attack a region 2 or 3 regions away. Different types of canon means different regions to attack, some closer, some further away.
Horses to me means more power and so more 'troops' in this game. So I suggest the possibility of conquering stables (and maybe a smithy for a bonusregion)
Well, just some other thoughts,
Cheers,

Dub
Cadet DubWarrior

Postby swampfox01776 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:58 pm

More of the Game's contents.. October 14th 2010

1 Re-supply....Incorporated into having/holding a Fort could be:
Points would represent that area's ability to maintian it's Army...thus size..and types of men or horses,canons..{ Note this is an assumed number for holding a " Region" as a region would,hopefully,be able to support itself with Food,water...and the making of it's own equipment/repair etc.The points would also be used as a supplier factor when attacking and Defending..like in the real world..there is no " Unlimited amount of Resources available for supporting men,equipment..right..so that should be factored in some way to add to the Battle,Attack/Defend Scenario...thus the supply points can be accumulated over time,if a Fort is held,just like in real world an ARMY builds it's supplies before an Attack or if known Defense...so to should some simple "CODE/Allowance" be made for this aspect of battles..Right...
So a starting point for,BETA/game purposes ,to see what number affects Fair outcomes of battles,defense..attack etc..trying to add this so that again just stacking 30 men and moving against a fort with huge numbers won't ensure immediate success...as was the case of the time/Star fort...was not easily overrun,I'm trying to check into this from historical stand points ..so to move Across France with an Army,say...just a guess but for a starting point say..{.9 canons,3 horse,9 men..}.would use up some amount of supply...as the further from their supply base the longer supplies take..Right..and the longer that Army needs supplies,note to put in Strategy guide,if supply line is cut off that Army is " OUT of Supply"...and has..2-4 turns? to get a direct supply route back to that Fort or take another one..kind of time frame..}
So as for being" Supplied" a code has to be implemented to ADD/Subtract/keep supplied..? some amount from an ARMY of that size...however what if the player chooses to have smaller armies move to a location{ Fort or Battle} smaller numbers..to form a larger Force.?
Issue/problem...what size Army would need supplies.?again written into the code/ explained in Strategy guide...
So basically what I've described adds realism to the Fort Battles and larger Picture of the WAR/France Battle...
A Starting Value,explained in the Strategy guide...after worked out in Beta...could be
Owning a Fort = 20 pts /turn and accumulated each turn the fort is held..
{ Note to add to Code" if Fort/Region is half taken,1/3 taken etc..the Resupply points fall by that percentage}... representing the portion of the food produced,or equipment not able to be produced..ETc would diminsh as people/Soldiers would not be making too much food or equipment..etc.. during a seige vs time's of No Siege....right..And what amount of Attack = underattack..? as a player could somehow send one canon,horse,men to attack..get through but no real" Attack" is happening just a players way of disrupting the resupply Fort Value..?This Reupply Value allows the Fort holder to hold the fort,some amount of time..as was Vaubans intent until hopefully Reinforcements arrive.
Offensive supply points - 17
Defensive supply points - 17....but to be Determined,During BETA, what value adds Realism,how much resupply / how much oversupply was able to be accumulated by a region...thus creating" Stores" for future use..for the purposes of "CODE "simplicity just call them Supply points or Stores..don;t have to break them down into food,ammo,canons balls,,new muskets...all things needed by an Army will be assumed to be made and just called " Supplies or Stores".

This concept of Re-supply is two fold...in order for an Army to Attack it needs offensive attack points...and to Defend longer,Defensive supply points...so that if there's a " Star Fort with 15 interior spaces of men/Horses,Canons..diff types,maybe...then the Turn/Daily Resupply value{ Could/ would }be of 15+ 2 Extra thus the army " Stored " 2" for Future use...and the Same Values could be used for Offensive...the problem will be to work backwards...? Meaning in order to obatin " Realistic Game play" using this type of Re-Supply...the width of the Map how many spaces and as mentioned thought to How much an Army needs for supplies while attacking and How much Resupply,Each turn/Day is needed...as an Army moving across..say France would take..hmmm..7 days or more to move if allowed unimpeded....or maybe it's assumed that the Amry is in supply as long as the Fort is held or enough " OTHER" supply points from the Maps{ Large/Small} to maintain the Army's Strength....
Strength...what should happen to an army " not Supplied"...? if given by " our Game Rules,Subject to change during BETA...That the ARMY has some amount of time...1-3..0r 2-4 days to Restablish supply line's back to the fort or obtain another supply point...another Fort.?Whereby in the Game Code{ Explained in Strategy guide} like other games have here,a decreasing unit supply/unit amount should units not be supplied would they not usually perish or at best tbe very ineffective.?This to me is also a key to the larger Game play of Planning the Attack...which to me should involve at least two types of battle's...battles for the LAND..." open Spaces"..though those can be supply spots,mountains,rivers,roads,forrests..grain fields = { Field MAP}..BETA 2....Beta 1 is just the Two forts with one " Open Field Battle" to me...

Forgot to mention..the other Map you'll need..Clickout type like the Fort battle type..is the "OPEN Field" type{ Detailed w/Terrain } to represent Battles that could/Will be fought before getting to the Fort...as not all battle's were fought at forts...hmmmm......but stick to making the FORT Battle...and the various Attack,Terrain,supply,Defend scenario's..first then just make another " Field Map" for the other battles..with the same Attributes of game play that are developed...
so back to the ARMY /Supply problem...to Attack the supply points/Daily Resupply values need to represent what would allow..hmm 2-5 days...of Attacking....those attack points will accumulate over time/Turns until used by the player...thus if a player Attacks...his defense points are building...and vice a versa...some one Defending would have Attack supply points building.....okay lets assume a fort battle is over....

SPOILS:.....Can be gaining opposing players Attack/Defend points....or some portion while they hold a portion of that players region...{ Explained in Strategy guide } written into the game code..but kept simple to explain in the guide and understood...by the players..

Cards :.... Giving Attention to the overall GAME...should the cards be able to be used in the Standard way...men Dropped wherever needed.? or should with this NEW Game be able to be deployed only at Fort's.? and thus have to make a journey/or Fort Reinforecement...used to buy /Choose/Reinforce,whatever word you like..Different type's of Equipment{ Horses/Canons} at the Fort,or fort of choice, which to me adds the Realism of this NEW Game idea...but keeping to the " CARDS/Reinforcement tradition...Two choices should Exist....
A} Reinforcements with a CARD/if that spot is owned of whatever type of card,"Horse,Men,Canon" in whatever portion of the " Turn-In Value" of that particular card's /Percentage of that set...so several spots could be reinforced or none...with those troops.A player would know this several moves in Advance and like regular risk,could plan to attack that spot to help of getting certain troops to help with an attack or defense,....." Code " Problem...the newly placed armies would Take away from the supply/Resupply scenario....so added to the " Game Code"...needed in resupply section..."CARDS/New Army"...or whatever name you give it...becuase the game will all of a sudden be forced with a supply issue/as will the player...if the addition of 10,15 ,20 armies places the supply over the Re-supply Value..for Attack or defense...the Army would be rendered useless,possiblly,as it tries to attack/Defend..an Adjusted Allowance.." however unrealisitc" needs to be implemented at the time Cards are Turned-in..in the code...to make the supply value Equal to or alittle Greater than, the Army Value..ETC......

OR....to simplify the whole thing..hmmm How you ask..? simple just using the cards of the game with the different regions represented..as Supply points{ added to the Resupply/Turn Values} if Captured/Held{ Explained in the Strategy guide}.....so an attacker would thus have some reason to attack certain regions{ larger map},not just for a tactical reason but supply reason/Adding to their personal tactical/Strategy objectives vs others,supply points.? like in real world..to help with resupplying the Army/Gaining supply points to attack further/Longer..ETc..

Okay now the hard part of the CARDS Scenario....what about the " STAR Fort" smaller battle field.....should cards/Extra supply points,or spots on that battle field represent extra supply,as trying to have TWO set's of cards that interact or are used...by the player and all the CODE involved is substantial...whew,nope..soo....
Let's say that the addition of some amount of {Re-supply/Supply spots} should be included on the smaller maps{ Fort/Field} to allow for an objective on that battle field to attack to/Defend so as not to lose those points,thus like as was mentioned some portion of the Region held by an attacker would lessen the Fort's Resupply.
So there is an inherent larger problem...or Resupply...{ The smaller map resupply spots being taken or given during card turn-in vs that card turn-in.How to overcome the inherent adding in of supply points to the next turn.whereby the cards will give a Bonus"larger map...and also there will be a Bonus from taking of supply spots on smaller map...which will by Definition or percentage some amount that had been held by the opponent,and now isn't.That will also then based on the smaller Map{ REsupply % modifier of how many smaller regions are owned subtract from that number to be resupplied to the FORT,as it doesn;t own those regions around the Fort..

Vauban Master Edition Xtra Credit.......
Allow the players to set-Game play up with....
No Spoils,no cards......whoa..?
Xtra Cards...XTRA men,Canons,horses...XTRA supply points....
FOG of WAR/No FOG....
Weather.?......snow,Rain...Clear...Night...?

XTRA main feature can be allowing the players the abilty to " SET Objective's" from a drop down,prior to game start....
those can be, but not limited to...Eliminating an opponents= 20 supply points.or X..?...or getting some particular Fort X supply points or men...ETC
or some spot on the smaller/larger map holding certain regions for X amount of turns....allow the players to reconfigure the BATTLE Scenario/Objectives to some degree..to allow for a variety of Game player style's...Slow/Fast...Strategy..NUKE..Asssasin{ TEAM Play}......and those Objectives will allow this map/Game to be played with many versions but the same Map/Star Fort as it's centerpiece...

Apply to the " Site Masters'..to create an Award..Designated the " Vauban Master"...in the shape of....a " STAR"..to players whom acheive 50 Vauban victories or some amount to give them credibility as a Vauban Master..ETc...

May I suggest starting the Strategy guide as a follow on to the map being built...thus all aspects of what BETA/Currently is,and parts of the Game that is known and built or written vs having to keep explaining..here...is it possible to make that so the add-on's /updates can be seen....so I or others working on this will know where things are...so as to offer help/Good suggestions.?or bug fixes....ETc..

Well this should keep you busy for a day or so....hehehe...alrighty a week...Please just look over what's above,....think to yourselves...what would you do to help this project...How can you make this game one of the best ever and one you'd want to play...and become good at.What is leftout.? comments covering this games buildout are why I'm writing them here....giving anyone a chance to Help...which I hope many will.!!!
Take Care and have a great day...
Happy Trails
Swamp Fox
If you've pm'd me..for some reason I haven't gotten ANy...whew use my Wall..please...and if necessary..I'll give my email. 8-)
Sergeant swampfox01776

Postby swampfox01776 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:28 pm

HEy Dub
I went to the new " Mexico" mapand got an idea of what,since I'm code clueless, you meant by talking about when mentioning the Inability to create what alot of Star fort,Game play has been based upon.I see now that as of this writing,the game play is limited to a flat map,bound by whatever size that maybe...whew...
I still think making the game about the Star fort and attack's/Defense ..eTc should be developed with that as the goal.
I made some suggstions above,some of which can apply some cannot without a larger Map ability.
I did fix my pm problem,I'd had it turned off...didn't realize that..
So I thank you for allowing me some time to speak my mind and trying to help you.
I did pm the..new " Chat box" creator whom developed the code to make a " POPOUT" chat box...he included that code..and explained how to do it...and asked him what would be able to be done on making the GAME have a clickout/Popout ability,if a city per say would be clicked out...i didn't specifically name this map as the one that were thinking of that for....hopefully that can be done to take all games not just this one to the next level for game play abilities.
Thanks for allowing me to speak my mind and try and help with this.
Take care ,have good day
Swamp Fox
Sergeant swampfox01776

Postby DubWarrior on Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:01 am

swampfox01776 wrote:HEy Dub
I went to the new " Mexico" mapand got an idea of what,since I'm code clueless, you meant by talking about when mentioning the Inability to create what alot of Star fort,Game play has been based upon.I see now that as of this writing,the game play is limited to a flat map,bound by whatever size that maybe...whew...
I still think making the game about the Star fort and attack's/Defense ..eTc should be developed with that as the goal.
I made some suggstions above,some of which can apply some cannot without a larger Map ability.
I did fix my pm problem,I'd had it turned off...didn't realize that..
So I thank you for allowing me some time to speak my mind and trying to help you.
I did pm the..new " Chat box" creator whom developed the code to make a " POPOUT" chat box...he included that code..and explained how to do it...and asked him what would be able to be done on making the GAME have a clickout/Popout ability,if a city per say would be clicked out...i didn't specifically name this map as the one that were thinking of that for....hopefully that can be done to take all games not just this one to the next level for game play abilities.
Thanks for allowing me to speak my mind and try and help with this.
Take care ,have good day
Swamp Fox

Well, I'll hope all things will be clear once I post the next draft. Hope you'll like it and be ready to evaluate it, once it is here we still can see what other things can be added. But Yes, mapsize and code are limited. To me, this is a challenge to be creative. Take a look at all those maps, almost all of them use another story or gameplay-feature, but all with the same code! :geek:
Thanks Fox
Cadet DubWarrior

Postby Teflon Kris on Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:45 am

I like your idea and development so far :D

Just wondering if setting the map in the future may be an idea?
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby Auchinlech on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:12 am

The last map has a big gap along the Med.
There is a Vauban fortress at Antibes.
Private Auchinlech

Postby DubWarrior on Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:58 am

DJ Teflon wrote:I like your idea and development so far :D

Just wondering if setting the map in the future may be an idea?

Thanks, well on a personal level I would say No...no offence but this map was meant as a dedication to Vauban and will be a simulation of siege strategies typically for this era. I think you will lose these things by putting it into the future...
Cadet DubWarrior

Postby pamoa on Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:02 am

there are much than those 12 on the map
these are the ones protected by UNESCO World Heritage Convention
to have are more detailled idea of vauban works are are 2 maps
of the more than 130 modified and 30 new build fortress
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby swampfox01776 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:50 am

Hey Again
i must give congrats to " Pomoa"..those maps and details you've found-drawn are outstanding.!!! To put that much effort into this shows me not jus your passion for getting this correct from a Historical perspective but from a " Game-Play' objective .
I just wish there was the clickout capabilities to allow for Detailed Star Fort battles....whereby some { 8 } or so of the countries/France, forts could be used in a Battle for France game...with the realism of Vauban portrayed in the Detail battles.Any guess if anyone's working to allow " XML" clickout capability or add-on to allow such a Feature.?I'm code clueless as I've mentioned,so I have no idea if that is even possible given whatever XML limits are..?
I am glad your interests for the Vauban theme game are trying to include the realism of the Forts in the battles...but unless the XML can allow for a clickout/Detail battle...at some point should it be developed, then maybe keep the ideas I've/We've mentioned regarding the detail battle scenario's on the back burner..whew...and concentrate on making the gmae in two versions,for now.
One would be a larger map...using some of the above Towns..with that background map/Layout to play like a normal " Risk" type game...with a few add-ons..keep it simple..
The second could be of a Vauban Fort Scenario..using the more Detailed efforts of Game-play/Strategy,Terrain,Siege/Walls...Supply type scenario.This would allow something to be accomplished with an eye towards a possible day when a clickout map,allowing the development of the Two part Battles to happen.
i would use the nice map,of the STAR Fort,you showed in august...with the fort having 15 spaces in side for troop,canon placement..and a spot { Based on a drop down pre-turn menu} whereby the player could choose what to reinforce with...MEN,Canons..Horses..etc.
In this game the map size would have a FULL Size Fort...with a surrounding countryside..60 spaces.?,could be in all directions or could be only 3 directions with Water/Ocean as was the case alot of the time as the fourth side.
II've mentioned many possible supply features previously and those could be incorporated to some degree,even on this smaller game/Map..
Also the use of " Stacking",horses,cannons,men.. could be done...to provide some extra level of realism vs just having men...
I'm just bummed the "XML" isn't going to allow the clickout/Dropdown of the Starfort detail battles..that to me takes away so many unique game play features...whew.

I check here daily and will keep trying to help/offer suggestions and review anythng done to date.
Thank you for your efforts.!!! keep at it...
Happy Trails
Swamp Fox
Sergeant swampfox01776

Postby pamoa on Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:46 am

sure I personally prefer to have the map of France as the basis for this map
what is very pertinent about the first Dub drawing was the circle
as the Vauban's theory on how to attack a fortress
is based on the 3 trenches circles rule
* the first out of artillery range is the assailant stronghold
* the second in range with artillery positions to bombard the weakest point
* the third near the walls to undermine them and then attack
then we can debate
Cadet pamoa

Postby DubWarrior on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:15 am

I read about the parallel attack system. I suppose this is the way of making trenches as the pictures you posted before (with those zig-zag lines on them). Why are they made in this way? because cannons needed to be moved on the fortress?
I see those pictures everywhere but I can't find a simple explanation on the advantage of these trenches.
Cadet DubWarrior

Postby pamoa on Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:13 am

if you make a straight line going from one circle to the other
then a single aligned shot from cannon on the wall
can kill and destroy everybody and every thing in the connecting trench
without any escape for the ones inside
on the contrary and if you watch closely
there is no segment of the zig zag
that can be bombarded "in line"
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby DubWarrior on Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:34 am

pamoa wrote:if you make a straight line going from one circle to the other
then a single aligned shot from cannon on the wall
can kill and destroy everybody and every thing in the connecting trench
without any escape for the ones inside
on the contrary and if you watch closely
there is no segment of the zig zag
that can be bombarded "in line"

ah! pretty logic and usefull, thanks, I'll work it out
Cadet DubWarrior

Postby DubWarrior on Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:09 am

Back with a draft.
I worked out the left side of the map, One camp attacking a central citadel. This is a 5 star fort but I can make it a 4-star too (vauban did it too). I can also bring in more camps. I was thinking on three.

The siege contains mainly 3 battles.
-> First, on the left, the camp. Uniting a camp would brings a bonus (let's say 3 camp-regions +1, 5 regions +3, ...) reconstructing a riot inside.

-> Second battle: the citadel (centre) itself, with its bastions, ravelins, counterguard (CG) and central buildings. uniting pieces of the fort brings a bonus (darkgrey example on the map in the left-top: a +1 for uniting 2 buildings, can be expended by adding the rampart and the ravelin (would bring a, lets say +3) reconstructing a riot inside. darkgrey is an impassable moat.

-> Third battle: area between the camp and the citadel, and on the hills behind the camp. This battle is mainly a bombardment-battle between artillery.

In detail this crossing zone consists out of a few zones (circles), each zone containing regions.
-> The closed zone is for the miners. They are connected with the next zone (foot soldiers) and with a one way to the gate, containing a neutral +5, simulating time needed to blow up the gates. The citadel has 3 gates. The miners can be attacked by the CounterGuard soldiers (CG on the map).
-> Next zone is for foot soldiers. Foot soldiers are under attack by a one-way artillery on the bastion. They are connected with the miners and the end of the trench. They can be attacked by their own close range artillery in the back.
-> next zone is for short artillery. The can attack the foot soldiers, and are under attack by a one-way bombardment on the counterguard (CG artillery) and by their own stables in the back.
-> next zone is the outpost, containing stables, regions and the entrance to the trenches. trenches can only be accessed there. The outpost is under attack by the long-range artillery on the hills, left from the camp.
-> next zone is the camp, with 2 bridges and an impassable moat. outside the camp, on the hill is a long range artillery that can attack the camp below, the bridges and the outposts.

Specials:
-> the middle of the trenches loses -1 for each round, because they are in the line of sight of the citadels canons.
-> only way to acces the short range artillery is by capturing the stables, who have a one-way connecting to the short range artillery.
-> capturing the stables in the centre of the citadel gives acces to the counterguard artillery.
-> ravelins who have no gate, have a one-way bombardment with the counterguard. Historicaly correct. Ravelins had only walls in one direction. Once the enemy captured it, they could not hide from the canons inside the citadel.
-> trenches can only be accessed by the outpost or the foot soldiers.

So, I hoped I took all of the historical elements up in it: we have the importance of the horses (important for canons and their speed), we have different types of canons, we have the importance of the height, we have the 3 cirkels and zig zag trenches.
Hope you'll like it;
tnx to Pamoa and Swampfox
Cadet DubWarrior

Re: Fort of France(Vauban) -> V2, need some comment

Postby DubWarrior on Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:11 am

damn I hate complex maps and I never get all the info on it!
download it:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z127/RasKuralka/DRAFT1.jpg
Cadet DubWarrior

Re: Fort of France(Vauban) -> V2

Postby swampfox01776 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:49 pm

DUB
I've been impressed with both you and Pomoa and am glad to have this opportunity to help and that you listened to some of what had been suggested and did your best with the Code/Map limitations.
From what you've wrote it sounds good,I cannot open the LINK you created above..? I'm using IE not firefox might that be why.?
I will wait to hear from you about how to view the MAP,judging by what you've explained it's as technical as you can get with that map size.The imporvisations with the Trenches and interior battle aspects sounds good also...I'd start getting it ready to RUN/BETA.

I have messaged alot with POMOA about Vauban and more of his legacy,info ETc...and gone to more sites to get myself further involved of the Fort Aspects and as your describing the ATTACK/Defend scenario's you've incorporated, it does sound good to great given the size/Map restrictions.

Can you please advise me how to load that link..or send me an Email that might allow it to load from there..or any advise how to change some settings..

Thank you and I look forward to seeing the map and playing the BETA.offering suggestions....I do enjoy " Flanders" I've played it a few times.

Have good DAY
Swamp Fox
=D>
Sergeant swampfox01776

Postby DubWarrior on Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:38 pm

Tnx swampfox. Stay tuned concerning Flanders, I'll add some major improvements soon!
Concerning the map. Do you see an image above my last post under the large discription (the map like it is now, in black and white and grey? the downloadlink is the same image!) It also in my first post on top of page one, same image, same new V2 map
If you don't see anything new, let me know; can be something with the server...
Have a nice day
Cadet DubWarrior

Postby pamoa on Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:27 pm

nice draft
it seems you abandonned the idea of france background

few comments on the draft
first question will there only 1 attack side or more
5 branch star has a better look but you need to adapt to the map size try with 4

would your 3 battle zone be more if there are more attack zone (+2) each attack zone
maybe by simplifying (lowering) the number of attacking and defending positions

I think counter-guard should be in the gate and attack one-way the nearest foot soldiers
and miners attack one-way a bastion it would be more accurate historically

I also think you should simplify the attacker zone
remove the camp with the long range artillery no need of it
and following Vauban rules the outpost was the fortified camp

the -1 feature in the line of sight of the citadel is totally inaccurate
it was the most difficult point to bombard that's why trenches were built there
maybe assailant artillery can get this -1 as it was the most exposed part of the system
or do you intend that digging the trenches was human costly

the stables leading one-way to artillery or counter-guard is very smart I like it

to be more accurate ravelins should bombard (musketeers firing at) miners
but no one would loose time and men conquering them as they were under direct fire from citadel as you said

all I'm saying is just my opinion use it has you want

so waiting for draft v3

graphics will come later
Cadet pamoa

Postby swampfox01776 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:11 pm

Dub
the spot on page 1 where there should be an Image,has the "RED X " image sign. No NEW Image is visible there.It does show V2 at the top where you explain the technical scenario's and additions..ETC.. of V2 but no image.
Swamp Fox
Sergeant swampfox01776

Postby DubWarrior on Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:32 am

pamoa wrote:nice draft
it seems you abandonned the idea of france background

Yes, I didn't find a way to make a detailed attack combined with a larger country.

5 branch star has a better look but you need to adapt to the map size try with 4

I was thinking on 2 or 4 (2 left and 2 right, one on top of the other) camps. I also was thinking on a 4-star fort, so that would make all sides useful.

would your 3 battle zone be more if there are more attack zone (+2) each attack zone

Why would I do so, wouldn't that make it more complex, since all zones have their own assault and defence-system?

I think counter-guard should be in the gate and attack one-way the nearest foot soldiers

SO they didn't used the gate but blow up a stone wall? Amazing, I could do so, but that would means that a bastion would come with a heavy 5 neutral, representing the time needed, while under fire, it took the miners to blow it up.

What are those rules? Anyway, I was thinking on different sort of artillery, especialy aiming for the mid-battle. If you have a different suggestion to place some long-range artillery, let me know. In the meantime i'll think on it.

the -1 feature in the line of sight of the citadel is totally inaccurate
it was the most difficult point to bombard that's why trenches were built there
maybe assailant artillery can get this -1 as it was the most exposed part of the system
or do you intend that digging the trenches was human costly

Hmm, I know but I was looking for a way to slow down a large army, or make some loses in the troops before they can assault or come out of the trench. I'll think on it.

the stables leading one-way to artillery or counter-guard is very smart I like it
but no one would loose time and men conquering them as they were under direct fire from citadel as you said

Yes, so what to do with ravelins who don't have a gate. will all 4 bastions be under attack? Doesn't look that historical accurate to me...

Graphics come later, ofcourse.

@Swampfox: try this link.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/1/27/ ... DRAFT1.jpg
Copy-past it in a new window and wait a small minute (take some time to load on the server).
Does this work for you?
Cadet DubWarrior

Postby pamoa on Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:13 am

I was thinking on 2 or 4 (2 left and 2 right, one on top of the other) camps. I also was thinking on a 4-star fort, so that would make all sides useful.

Why would I do so, wouldn't that make it more complex, since all zones have their own assault and defence-system?

go for 4 branches star with 4 attack zone
so you ended with 9 bonus zone
2 for each attacker and the fort

SO they didn't used the gate but blow up a stone wall? Amazing, I could do so, but that would means that a bastion would come with a heavy 5 neutral, representing the time needed, while under fire, it took the miners to blow it up.

or put a -1 bonus on miners

What are those rules? Anyway, I was thinking on different sort of artillery, especialy aiming for the mid-battle.
If you have a different suggestion to place some long-range artillery, let me know. In the meantime i'll think on it.

I was thinking that each attacker has its own part of the circles with some connexions
maybe add some reinforcement troops comming to help the fort by attacking the outpost
with artillery?

Yes, so what to do with ravelins who don't have a gate. will all 4 bastions be under attack? Doesn't look that historical accurate to me...

in a 4 branches star configuration each ravelin would have its gate
Cadet pamoa

Postby swampfox01776 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:55 am

nope it won't load....I try clicking on that link..it takes about 10 seconds then I get the RED X box...whew
I alos tried to "COPY" and paste the link into my header....it won't allow me to copy it..it seems linked to that whole last message...of OCT 29th...Can't you just send me a pm without the " Fort of France thing/logo" it seems to be picking that up....I still haven't seen the map..and it seems Pomoa can and has some suggestions..whew.
I am on WIN 7 using IE 7.....I am not going to install firefox..or IE 8.....
I should just be able to click that link...and it should load....pls help with more options on how to view the " V2"
Thank you
Sergeant swampfox01776

Postby pamoa on Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:23 pm

I don't know much about version compatibility
maybe some anti-virus filter you have
all I cay to you is firefox is a must to play CC
as all the add-on are done for it
BOB, clickable maps, conquer stats,...
Cadet pamoa

Postby swampfox01776 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:16 am

Well all other apps from web-sites run but first give me that" Click on X yellow bar at top" if it's running active X for that particular website.i have the latest Java...
I'm not sure what the file format is..? like excel....word..ETC...what s that based on.? thats probablly why I can't open it.? I understand Firefox is needed to run some of the stuff ,here but to just " OPEN" a file...it's probablly a File incompatibility thing....
Thanks Pomoa for your suggestion...but I'm gonna stick with IE...I've tried Firefox..many moons ago when it first cameout...I just don't want two Explorers to deal with...and all the issues that come with that.I've had no problems with IE...it loads I do what I gotta do and leave..no tweaks..patches..figuring out what's wrong...ETc.
So DUB....what is that file based on...though I'm not gonna understand it if you get technical..heheh...just the basics pls.
Have good day...seems like Pomoa definately knows what he wants....guess you two gonna have to workout the Strategy/Technical stuff without me....whew.:{
Happy Trails
Swamp Fox
Sergeant swampfox01776

Postby DubWarrior on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:45 am

I'll send it in a PM to you, but you can also try the next thing:
right click on this link. Choose save link as. Now save it somewhere on your harddisk. Open the file now from your harddisk.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/1/27/2739987//DRAFT1.jpg
Does this work?
Cadet DubWarrior

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas