Conquer Club

Switzerland [MAP 2.7]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Switzerland [MAP 2.7]

Postby DJENRE on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:44 am

I created a new tournament recently based on european countries. And I was disappointed to see that most of those countries doesn't have their own map yet.

So I will try to fill that empty zone in Conquer Club.

First drop is SWITZERLAND

MAP 2.7
Click image to enlarge.

New title
Passage throught Vals darker.

MAP 2.6
Click image to enlarge.

TERRITORIES

• 39 territories in total
  • 1 starts neutral (Bern)
  • 17 have a specific language (other are germanic)
  • also 4 access to Bern (From Lower Valais, Freibourg, Obwald and Soleure).
  • Passage from Val Meso to Val Bregaglia

BONUSES
  • REGIONS = 8 regions in total (bonuses +2 to +4)
  • LANGUAGES = 3 different languages (6 bonuses in total: +1 to +3)

STARTING POINTS
38 territories can be starting points (not Bern). But a player can hold maximum 14 territs after the drop. That avoid a big starting bonus in singles ;)
  • 2 = 14 territories
  • 3 = 12 territories
  • 4 = 9 territories
  • 5 = 7 territories
  • 6 = 6 territories
  • 7 = 5 territories
  • 8 = 4 territories

NOTE
B-J = Bernesse-Jura
Bâle C & V = Bâle-Campagne & Bâle-Ville
Obe. = Oberchalbstein

:arrow: As request, this is a new draw without the army circles.

show: more comments

MAP 2.5
Click image to enlarge.

show: Natty_dread comments

MAP 2.4
Click image to enlarge.

MAP 2.3
Click image to enlarge.

show: BIN

show: ALL EUROPE
Last edited by DJENRE on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 12 times in total.
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em
YOU LIKE MONOPOLY? PLAY IT on CC => CONQUEROPOLY
YOU'RE A MEDAL HUNTER? HUNT ALL THE MEDALS YOU NEED HERE!
BIG TRIBE TOURNAMENT VI NATIONS 2018
Corporal 1st Class DJENRE

Location: ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

Re: [NEW] Switzerland

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:02 am

... you're making a cheeses of Switzerland map?

Wouldn't a standard gameplay map of the regions of switzerland do just nicely?
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby DJENRE on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:46 am

Yes I thought to add some little bonuses with cheeses and chocolate....lol but gameplay remain the same (likely)

Don't you like it?
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby League on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:14 am

I'm no expert but I feel like a lot of those little lakes can probably go. They don't even look like they are a part of the game like an impassible or something.
Sergeant 1st Class League

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:17 am

Industrial Helix wrote:... you're making a cheeses of Switzerland map?

This is probably one of my most favorite Foundry posts of recent time.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby mr. CD on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:22 am

I think some people from Switzerland may disagree on Switzerland being just Cheese and chocolate. Do like the bonuses though.
Lieutenant mr. CD

Postby natty dread on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:43 am

Where are the cuckoo clocks?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby ender516 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:44 am

A very interesting idea, but I think you have gone overboard on the bonuses. There are so many, it will be difficult to know what to take first. Also, trying to balance this map (so that initially everyone has a fairly even starting position) will take a lot of study. Finally, it is difficult to see which territories belong to which language group, because the crosshatch lines are very thin, and the colours in the mini-map do not correspond to the colours on the main map, so it is hard to see at a glance whether, for example, Zoug is part of the +5 or the +2. By the way, is the unlabelled region between Uri, Surselva, and Ticino another territory or a miscoloured lake?
How many territories are there in total? A text listing all the territories, and the bonuses that they are part of, would be very helpful.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby grifftron on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:50 am

Don't the swiss make sweet watches? you could add that to the cheese and choco bonuses
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:13 pm

No, I don't like it.

I would take a standard gameplay map of switzerland with plenty of mountain impassables before I ever desired a map of switzerland's culinary expertise.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Riskismy on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:13 pm

I think it's quite funny and not least different. We have plenty of impassable mountains around, after all.

I like it!
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby DJENRE on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:25 pm

League wrote:I'm no expert but I feel like a lot of those little lakes can probably go. They don't even look like they are a part of the game like an impassible or something.

Those lakes are actually on their REAL places. But we can see that they do a proper work on map. North on NIDWALD, we think that the lake is an impassable to reach Lucerne or Schwyz but it's not because Nidwald has also the two little pieces near those territs.

mr. CD wrote:I think some people from Switzerland may disagree on Switzerland being just Cheese and chocolate. Do like the bonuses though.

I presume switz are intelligent enough to know that is not a joke. They should be proud of that.
I'm french, and I'll be happy to see that kind of map for FRANCE if it's done properly with right names!!!

grifftron wrote:Don't the swiss make sweet watches? you could add that to the cheese and choco bonuses

Yes and I could add also banks and ski towns but I think it's enough for now. ;)

ender516 wrote:A very interesting idea, but I think you have gone overboard on the bonuses. There are so many, it will be difficult to know what to take first. Also, trying to balance this map (so that initially everyone has a fairly even starting position) will take a lot of study. Finally, it is difficult to see which territories belong to which language group, because the crosshatch lines are very thin, and the colours in the mini-map do not correspond to the colours on the main map, so it is hard to see at a glance whether, for example, Zoug is part of the +5 or the +2. By the way, is the unlabelled region between Uri, Surselva, and Ticino another territory or a miscoloured lake?
How many territories are there in total? A text listing all the territories, and the bonuses that they are part of, would be very helpful.

1) yes, I added cheeses and chocolate but I can forget about it and just do a geographical map if needed. But I think many maps are full of bonuses and we like to play it anyway. (Waterloo, Middle ages...)
2) about languages, I'll make it less thin on next map.
3) I know about colors in minimap but on main map, colors are differents for a same region so I had to change colours in minimap
4)Zoug is part of +5 and if you see forms of bonuses, u can easily know ;)
5)The unlabelled region is part of Graubunden. also, west of URI is a little part of Obwald so Obwald can attack URI :lol: Nidwald can attack Schwyz and Lucerne because of the two little pieces. Fribourg has also some little pieces but that doesn't change anything. Same for Soleure, genève, Schaffhouse, and Appenzell RI.
6) Look, on my other maps in drafting room, I did it that way and people told me to include bonuses directly on map. ;)

Riskismy wrote:I think it's quite funny and not least different. We have plenty of impassable mountains around, after all.
I like it!

I'll think about mountains to make some more impassable maybe.
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby CJ Lues on Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:02 am

Isn’t it true that Switzerland never had a war in its history??? :)
Sergeant CJ Lues

Location: I love a good plan, and i just love it when a plan comes together!

Postby DJENRE on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:03 pm

CJ Lues wrote:Isn’t it true that Switzerland never had a war in its history??? :)

wrong!

During the middle age.

ANd also later but it was civil war
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby CJ Lues on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:07 pm

DJENRE wrote:
CJ Lues wrote:Isn’t it true that Switzerland never had a war in its history??? :)

wrong!

During the middle age.

ANd also later but it was civil war

OH, OK...!

You learn something new everyday... :)
Sergeant CJ Lues

Location: I love a good plan, and i just love it when a plan comes together!

Postby ender516 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:41 pm

DJENRE wrote:
ender516 wrote:A very interesting idea, but I think you have gone overboard on the bonuses. There are so many, it will be difficult to know what to take first. Also, trying to balance this map (so that initially everyone has a fairly even starting position) will take a lot of study. Finally, it is difficult to see which territories belong to which language group, because the crosshatch lines are very thin, and the colours in the mini-map do not correspond to the colours on the main map, so it is hard to see at a glance whether, for example, Zoug is part of the +5 or the +2. By the way, is the unlabelled region between Uri, Surselva, and Ticino another territory or a miscoloured lake?

1) yes, I added cheeses and chocolate but I can forget about it and just do a geographical map if needed. But I think many maps are full of bonuses and we like to play it anyway. (Waterloo, Middle ages...)
2) about languages, I'll make it less thin on next map.
3) I know about colors in minimap but on main map, colors are differents for a same region so I had to change colours in minimap

My suggestion then is to use the same colour (or at least several shades of one colour) for a whole zone (bonus region) on the main map, or use all the same colours and all the borders from the main map on the mini-map, making the borders around zones thicker and the ones inside zones thinner.
4)Zoug is part of +5 and if you see forms of bonuses, u can easily know ;)
If I study the shapes carefully, I can work it out, but I wouldn't call it easy, and your colour schemes are making it more difficult by being inconsistent. For example, your +4 in the east (yellow on the mini-map) uses variations of one colour, as does the +1 (blue on the mini-map), as does the +2 (pink), but each of the rest of the zones uses a mix of colours on the main map, with several places where two bordering territories use the same colour but are in different bonus zones (for example, Bern and Uri, or Bâle-Campagne and Argovie).
5)The unlabelled region is part of Graubunden. also, west of URI is a little part of Obwald so Obwald can attack URI :lol: Nidwald can attack Schwyz and Lucerne because of the two little pieces. Fribourg has also some little pieces but that doesn't change anything. Same for Soleure, genève, Schaffhouse, and Appenzell RI.
Unlabelled exclaves can be a problem, especially if the colour schemes are not clear.
6) Look, on my other maps in drafting room, I did it that way and people told me to include bonuses directly on map. ;)
Of course the bonuses need to be on the map, but I thought it might be quicker for you to add some extra text in a post for immediate discussion rather than to redraw the map.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby DJENRE on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:50 pm

Thank you for that, I will include it in my next map.
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:41 pm

Has Pamoa seen this map ? :mrgreen:
Seriously I think you should get rid of that cheese / chocolate thing.
Certainly I like the idea of a Swiss map but in my mind is something really different from this...
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:44 pm

I would really like to see a Switzerland map...but one of classic geographical gameplay first :|
It just seems like you're trying too hard to add more onto it than what should be.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Where are the cuckoo clocks?

Seriously... I kinda wonder why there has to be cheeses and chocolates on the map. Like... what do cheeses and chocolates have to do with war? Why would players want to conquer cheeses and chocolates? Why does owning cheese and chocolate factories give you more armies?

Sure, it's original. But you know, just because something is original, doesn't make it good automatically.

I think there are better ways to divide up Switzerland. The last attempt, which was pretty good, had different language areas. Now those kind of divisions can actually make sense for a war game... people of different linguistical backgrounds fighting each other, seems much more natural than people fighting each other over cheese and chocolate. You know?

It's good that you have lots of ideas. It's good that you throw your ideas out there boldly. However when multiple people point out to you that a certain idea is not necessarily the best one, you should maybe consider that they may be on to something.

Also, I think you would benefit a lot from the tutorial I wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=466&t=140723

Postby RjBeals on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:02 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Has Pamoa seen this map ?

That was a sweet map of pamoa's.

Click image to enlarge.

viewtopic.php?f=242&t=92250

viewtopic.php?f=242&t=48194
Private RjBeals

Postby DJENRE on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:25 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Seriously I think you should get rid of that cheese / chocolate thing.
Certainly I like the idea of a Swiss map but in my mind is something really different from this...

rdsrds2120 wrote:I would really like to see a Switzerland map...but one of classic geographical gameplay first :|
It just seems like you're trying too hard to add more onto it than what should be.
-rd

natty_dread wrote:It's good that you have lots of ideas. It's good that you throw your ideas out there boldly. However when multiple people point out to you that a certain idea is not necessarily the best one, you should maybe consider that they may be on to something.

I know natty_dread, that 's why we put in on public thread. And I clearly see that cheese and chocolate are not well appreciated...
So I changed my mind to provide you the map without cheeses and chocolate factories.
Just note that until the last few posts, there were only one post telling it wasn't a good idea and some others to tell they liked it ;)

natty_dread wrote:Where are the cuckoo clocks?

Seriously... I kinda wonder why there has to be cheeses and chocolates on the map. Like... what do cheeses and chocolates have to do with war? Why would players want to conquer cheeses and chocolates? Why does owning cheese and chocolate factories give you more armies?

I would say : " why does owning pineapple and coconuts in Age of Merchant give you more armies? What do they have to do with war?" but we play that map anyway ;)

And about the Paoma map, why it never became an official map?
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby natty dread on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:05 pm

Because the mapmaker never finished it.

Now, about your map...

You have lots of very small territories, where it will be hard/impossible to fit army numbers. The territory labels overlapping with the borders are a problem, as well.

You also have lots of wasted space here.

I would suggest starting over and redesigning the layout of the map. Go look at my mapmaking tutorial, it gives you an easy method of creating nice looking geographical maps.

Also, save your map images as PNG:s. The JPEG looks fuzzy.

Postby Danyael on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:30 pm

neat map kinda neat game play get cheese get certain race cash in win hmmm :shock:

kinda neutral on the graphics
Corporal 1st Class Danyael

Postby DJENRE on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:35 pm

natty_dread wrote:Because the mapmaker never finished it.

Now, about your map...

You have lots of very small territories, where it will be hard/impossible to fit army numbers. The territory labels overlapping with the borders are a problem, as well.

You also have lots of wasted space here.

I would suggest starting over and redesigning the layout of the map. Go look at my mapmaking tutorial, it gives you an easy method of creating nice looking geographical maps.

Also, save your map images as PNG:s. The JPEG looks fuzzy.

1) small territories = because I used the real map of switzerland. Do you think I should make territories with different real regions? I'm tired of maps who are far away from reality. I wanted to make some new maps in europe but close to their actual regions. ;)
2) wasted space = because I just showed you the map without cheeses and chocolates. Of course I will occupy those spaces too ;)
3) Ok for PNG, I'll do.
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas