Conquer Club

Jewel of the Empire coordinates & xml (new xml?)

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Would you like me to continue with this map?

Total votes : 0

Postby fluffybunnykins on Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:12 pm

I prefer crown, myself, because it is an actual saying
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:23 pm

fluffybunnykins wrote:I prefer crown, myself, because it is an actual saying

Hmm okay everyone has his own tastes, but even the one currently in use is an actual saying. I think we should be focusing on other stuff about this map like the visuals and gameplay not on this issue.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Contrickster on Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:23 pm

Seventh draft

Corporal 1st Class Contrickster

Postby unriggable on Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:48 pm

THAT is sick.
Cook unriggable

Postby Contrickster on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:18 pm

?

I hope you mean't slick??

Postby unriggable on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:34 pm

Contrickster wrote:?

Sick = awesome in english.
Cook unriggable

Postby Contrickster on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:36 pm

unriggable wrote:
Contrickster wrote:?

Sick = awesome in english.

I am English, BTW, and I've never heard that expression before.

Thanks for the, er, compliment.

I wonder if anyone has any gameplay comments.

I happy with the gameplay and think I should procede with the XML. :wink:

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:59 pm

Hm, to be honest, I for one am not a fan of the visual style. I do like how it's different, but I prefer the Indian Presidencies map's style a little more.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby trip on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:02 pm

I dig it. The thing I like best about it is that the pink continent isn't all together. That really appeals to me.
Lookin good, Con.
Corporal 1st Class trip

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:03 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Hm, to be honest, I for one am not a fan of the visual style. I do like how it's different, but I prefer the Indian Presidencies map's style a little more.

--Andy

Still I doubt that one will ever see the light of day. I liked it as well. But I think this version with some work could look just as good.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:19 pm

The Cartographer has been in contact with me, Ruben. He's been busy with real life. ;)

I agree that this version can look as good though too surely. Perhaps even better. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby johloh on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:34 pm

some suggestions...

-id work on the ocean texture
-the eraser like marks in the corners of the map look pretty badly done to me
-id fill in the mountains so that it doesnt look like there are a bunch of holes in them...make them look more 'impassible'
-id make the text in the legend BIGGER, you got plenty of room...id also drop a bigger shadow or give it an outline, the text is a little hard to read, and the lightness blends with the white background.
-im not a big fan of the rotated text in all the countries, its not terrible where it needs it...but you have a bunch of territories with plenty of room...and the text is still at an angle. id straighten what you can...
-maybe fill in the unplayable areas around the outside that are land with a different (more landlike) color than the ocean (ie the northern borders of india). I dont think india should look like it is an island...
-the army circle for Thar should be centered so its not touching the border with sind.

phew. sorry if its a lot, and by all means you dont have to listen to what I say. I just like it on my maps when people leave a lot of opinions... :D
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Major johloh

Postby Contrickster on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:49 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:The Cartographer has been in contact with me, Ruben. He's been busy with real life. ;)

I agree that this version can look as good though too surely. Perhaps even better. :)

--Andy

I'll try my best. Don't know what aspect of the "visual style" you dislike but

1. I deliberately attempted something completely unlike the Indian Presidencies map. I like that map too.

2. Love the colours and textures...

3. Not convinced by features / text. Need inspiration for mountains. Desert looking a little better, perhaps.

johloh wrote:some suggestions...

-id work on the ocean texture

What do you dislike about it? Anyone feelt the same? I like the texture. Blue and almost sea-like but grainy enough that you're not quite sure.

-the eraser like marks in the corners of the map look pretty badly done to me

The cloud? It's intentionally broad brush. I could blur it so you don't see the strokes. See how that looks.

-id fill in the mountains so that it doesnt look like there are a bunch of holes in them...make them look more 'impassible'

I feel the same. I'm going to try again at a type of line unless anyone has any better image in mind that I could try and represent.

-id make the text in the legend BIGGER, you got plenty of room...id also drop a bigger shadow or give it an outline, the text is a little hard to read, and the lightness blends with the white background.

Good idea.

-im not a big fan of the rotated text in all the countries, its not terrible where it needs it...but you have a bunch of territories with plenty of room...and the text is still at an angle. id straighten what you can...

Good idea.

-maybe fill in the unplayable areas around the outside that are land with a different (more landlike) color than the ocean (ie the northern borders of india). I dont think india should look like it is an island...

I'll try it out but lack of border was deliberate.

-the army circle for Thar should be centered so its not touching the border with sind.

OK.

phew. sorry if its a lot, and by all means you dont have to listen to what I say. I just like it on my maps when people leave a lot of opinions... :D

Good comments. You both said what you thought and gave constructive suggestions that will improve the map.

Postby fireedud on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:51 pm

I like it except that the himalayas in the key are of different color of the countries. Maybe you could add Sri Lanka to the map; you have room.
Cook fireedud

Postby Neilhouse on Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:31 pm

"Sick" meaning "cool" or "awesome" is American English, not English English.

I don't generally like the look of the map either...compared to others. But I don't think the map should be compared to others. If a map maker can nail game play then visuals are just subservient. Some of you may like that eye candy, but I'll take balanced game play over ascetics any day. :wink:

As far as game play is concerned I'm not convinced that Colonialists should be worth a 5 army bonus. It seems to have far too few borders for it to be worth that much, even taking into account how spread out it is.

Good to see you at work at something, Con. I was getting worried you'd given up on CC. Drop in for a game sometime. (Absence must make the heart grow fonder...) :shock:
Corporal Neilhouse

Postby Contrickster on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:32 pm

fireedud wrote:I like it except that the himalayas in the key are of different color of the countries. Maybe you could add Sri Lanka to the map; you have room.

Sri Lanka is there - Ceylon :)

Himalayas in the key is a slightly different colour because someone said the original colour was hard to see. With larger font and more shadow I can move back to something more like the original colour.

I don't generally like the look of the map either...compared to others. But I don't think the map should be compared to others. If a map maker can nail game play then visuals are just subservient. Some of you may like that eye candy, but I'll take balanced game play over ascetics any day

Middle East map :)

This would suggest that as I'm not a great artist I should go for uncomplicated simplicity, like the Middle East map. That would suggest the clouds would go, and I reinstate the non-game landmass.

As far as game play is concerned I'm not convinced that Colonialists should be worth a 5 army bonus. It seems to have far too few borders for it to be worth that much, even taking into account how spread out it is.

Earlier it was 4, like the Deccan. But Colonial territories are harder to hold than the Deccan - links to three continents. Almost 4 continents as Himalayas is close to Bengal and I'd suspect whoever has Himalayas would also have Bengal.

Plus 5 would be historically fitting - Colonialists have advantage in technology.

Ed: Actually, I should looked at the map more closely. Calcutta is linked to the Himalayas. So, 4 continents I think does justify the extra army a round for Colonialists over the Deccan.

Double Ed: Actually I think Bengal or Himalayas could be worth 3 not 2...?

Good to see you at work at something, Con. I was getting worried you'd given up on CC. Drop in for a game sometime. (Absence must make the heart grow fonder...)

Like everyone I'm waiting for the Senate map! Soon as that goes live I'm starting a game.
Last edited by Contrickster on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:39 pm

While I appreciate what you're trying to do with this map, it's not really capturing my interest. The visual style is unique, and while I don't hate the floating island in the sky look, I don't think it's ideal. You could completely turn this map around with some different colours and a background. I guess it's just an issue of personal taste.

Your choice of font is rather bland and unimaginative. I'm sure you could find a more appealing font.

I'd still look into other options for the mountains and the desert. I kind of think the mountains look like sea shells and they're spread too thin. The desert looks more like mountains to me. :?
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Contrickster on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:49 pm

KEYOGI wrote:While I appreciate what you're trying to do with this map, it's not really capturing my interest. The visual style is unique, and while I don't hate the floating island in the sky look, I don't think it's ideal. You could completely turn this map around with some different colours and a background. I guess it's just an issue of personal taste.

Change of background including Asian landmass will be in the next up date. No clouds. The colours are distinctive and feminine. I like the idea of making a map that girls would play. Perhaps I'm wrong and they are actually ugly colours that clash horribly.

Your choice of font is rather bland and unimaginative. I'm sure you could find a more appealing font.

I think the font looks oriental?? It's curvy. I'll have a look at some others but I went through a lot before I decided on Maiandra GD.

Cooper’s design itself was inspired by examples of letterforms he had admired in his study of Greek epigraphy (inscriptions). Cooper combined those ancient forms with the flair characteristic of design styles of his time. The result was an attractive design possessing subtle, purposeful irregularities, or “meanders” in his skilled brushwork.

The Cooper design exhibits a unique warmth and harmony in text, while presenting a compelling rhythm, color and texture on the page. “Realizing the presence of this uniform warmth and readability,” notes Dennis, “I decided to expand the design into a family of three weights with companion italics.”

If you have a font in mind I'll try that.

I'd still look into other options for the mountains and the desert. I kind of think the mountains look like sea shells and they're spread too thin. The desert looks more like mountains to me. :?

Great idea!

Postby Contrickster on Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:39 pm

My layers were in a tangle so I started again. Lost my beloved colours, but oh well, not everyone liked them :wink:

Desert is HORRID. Mountains redesigned - better I think. Line mountains would look worse than pyramid.

But otherwise I implemented all suggestions. Added Asia, changed texture/colour of sea. Removed cloud. Enlarged legend text. Also did something with title. Straightened 90% of the territory names.

Also changed Brahmaputra/Calcutta border so they no longer meet. That area now looks confusing, something I'll work on for the next update.

Postby unriggable on Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:43 pm

Contrickster wrote:Image

Remove the jewel at the top.
Change the green hills. Not easy to see.
Make the font at the bottom right stand out a bit more from the ocean.
Calcutta / Brahmaputra place more obvious.
Just me, but I don't like the alternating sea route dots.
Cook unriggable

Postby johloh on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:13 pm

looks good...

-i like the straightened names
-id say ditch the jewels in the title, maybe if you want a jewel do a more cartoon or drawn version? which kinda matches the pastel/cartoonish feel of the map....it seems out of place.
-id change the light blue bonus area so it isnt so similar in color to the ocean, it almost looks like a lake or river or something...light blue is ok, just vary it a little more...
-legend looks much more readable...does 'mugals' have a blur on it though? it seems harder to read than the rest of the legend...
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Major johloh

Postby Wisse on Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:01 am

i don't like the 2 colored sea routes
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby boberz on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:46 am

prefered floating look
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby Contrickster on Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:02 am

Thanks for the comments, will update later.

boberz wrote:prefered floating look

I could take away the jewel image and return the clouds which would give a birds-eye-view look.

Postby mibi on Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:06 am

i wish the Ganges river was i there, it is after all, a hindu goddess.
Captain mibi

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas