West Wing [11/5] pg 1/4

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: West Wing [6/5] pg 1/3

Postby isaiah40 on Tue May 08, 2012 8:07 am

Territory names are hard to see, you will need to either have them black , or place a dark out glow on them. I prefer making them black.
ImageImage
show: High Score
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Re: West Wing [6/5] pg 1/3

Postby koontz1973 on Tue May 08, 2012 10:48 am

isaiah40 wrote:Territory names are hard to see, you will need to either have them black , or place a dark out glow on them. I prefer making them black.

Done. ;) A tad dark but very readable. :D
Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Re: West Wing [11/5] pg 1/4

Postby koontz1973 on Thu May 10, 2012 11:54 pm

Sorted out the bonus zones. Now a lot more even and added one (Visiting delegation).
Click image to enlarge.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Postby ManBungalow on Fri May 11, 2012 11:47 am

A good idea, I like it.

However, a few issues;

*The Secretaries/Press losing condition is quite strange. These only really work if it's something which you can force upon your opponent, like having no bases on Antarctica. I guess it prevents somebody who has one bonus from moving into the other, but...eh. Also, what if you hold Secretaries and you want to eliminate a player who holds Press corps? Maybe this is a strategy element, but it could be very irritating.
*The Karen/Lionel/Cole door is super weird.
*Some regions (Yuri, Igor, Zak etc) may be too small to fit army numbers in (particularly on the small image) while still making the coloured star clear.
*Making the walls thicker may make the doors stand out more, but I don't really know about this one.
*I'm looking now at the bonuses...
...how easy is it going to be to take any given bonus, particularly as many of the regions in a bonus have only one border (to the hallway)?
...how would you defend a bonus? You'd either have to split your troops between each region bordering the hallway, or make a stack on one region and use it to intimidate potential attackers. This is interesting, but input from others would be good.
*Spelling error on Visiting Deligation (Visiting Delegation).
*The coloured stars of the Press corps are a little difficult to make out.
*The sentence "Hallways connect to all rooms of them." doesn't really make sense. In fact, I'm not really sure you need to point the hallway borders out at all, as it will be self-evident when the troops are on the image and the doors are all there anyway.

That's about it, good luck with your map.
Colonel ManBungalow

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby koontz1973 on Fri May 11, 2012 1:10 pm

ManBungalow wrote:A good idea, I like it.

However, a few issues;

*The Secretaries/Press losing condition is quite strange. These only really work if it's something which you can force upon your opponent, like having no bases on Antarctica. I guess it prevents somebody who has one bonus from moving into the other, but...eh. Also, what if you hold Secretaries and you want to eliminate a player who holds Press corps? Maybe this is a strategy element, but it could be very irritating.
*The Karen/Lionel/Cole door is super weird.
*Some regions (Yuri, Igor, Zak etc) may be too small to fit army numbers in (particularly on the small image) while still making the coloured star clear.
*Making the walls thicker may make the doors stand out more, but I don't really know about this one.
*I'm looking now at the bonuses...
...how easy is it going to be to take any given bonus, particularly as many of the regions in a bonus have only one border (to the hallway)?
...how would you defend a bonus? You'd either have to split your troops between each region bordering the hallway, or make a stack on one region and use it to intimidate potential attackers. This is interesting, but input from others would be good.
*Spelling error on Visiting Deligation (Visiting Delegation).
*The coloured stars of the Press corps are a little difficult to make out.
*The sentence "Hallways connect to all rooms of them." doesn't really make sense. In fact, I'm not really sure you need to point the hallway borders out at all, as it will be self-evident when the troops are on the image and the doors are all there anyway.

That's about it, good luck with your map.

Issues.
Secretaries/Press losing condition-wanted to give a feeling of a press leak which is why these two. You are right, it might be a sod if the opponent you want to eliminate is holding one and you the other, but that must surely come down to how the game is played. The losing condition can come out but would like to see if it can be resolved as it adds to the flavour of the map. I tried in the beginning to have an Antarctica style of play but it never really lent itself to that type of play.

Karen/Lionel/Cole door - will fix. I will use Cole as a buffer between the two.

The wall thickness comes from the blue prints them selves. I copied the blue print I found online exactly, which is why you have these weird spots like Bo and Bea (just outside the oval).

Spelling mistake - I spotted it as soon as I posted this draft. Already fixed.

Hallways sentence - you say it is redundant and it probably is. Will take it out.

Press corp stars. Will change colour.

Size of rooms for the small map, already made sure the 88s fit into them. And that the text I have used shrinks enough, so that is not a worry on my part at all. This map started out a lot larger but with the extra room not being given, it has taken me a couple of months to make sure it will fit.

Defending a bonus, this can be though out some more maybe. I wanted to give the map the claustrophobic feel of a busy office while also giving it an open style of play. Maybe have the bonuses smaller?
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby nolefan5311 on Sat May 26, 2012 7:01 am

Moving back to Ideas, as requested.
Major nolefan5311

Medals: 108
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (29) General Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (12) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (4)

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas