West Wing [11/5] pg 1/4

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: West Wing idea.

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:07 am

Still working on this one. Coming along slowly.
Should be ready for draft status next update.
Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973

Medals: 117
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (10)

Postby lostatlimbo on Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:04 am

If I were making a map of the West Wing, I'd think about what makes it unique. What makes it more than a time and place? A hostage situation can take place anywhere, but what can only take place in the West Wing?

I would think about the inner workings of the West Wing as a it functions in the bigger picture, rather than a theoretical instance. Perhaps the hierarchy of staff and their interactions within and without. Or maybe expand to the entire White House and incorporate the Situation Room and other notable features?

$.02
Lieutenant lostatlimbo

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (8)

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:20 am

The problem I am having right now is which type of game to have.

Normal type of map that you have continent bonuses.
Starting positions (this is the one I had and scrapped)
The story behind it all. That is what has me stuck for now.
This is the current image, as you can see, it only has 2 of the 4 floors of the west wing. It has plenty of opportunities for gameplay development but it is that story and type that is alluding me.

Click image to enlarge.

Oval office is easy to spot.
Rose garden is between the two buildings.
The smaller building is the ground floor and the situation room is at the top right of it.

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:15 pm

You might try a sort of blueprint design as I think that would be pretty effective.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:21 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:You might try a sort of blueprint design as I think that would be pretty effective.

This would be sweet if you could pull it off!

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby Gillipig on Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:You might try a sort of blueprint design as I think that would be pretty effective.

I'm not much for all these colourful colours :) . I think making it look less doodle like and more architect like is the way to go.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:36 pm

You know, I like your Rorke's Drift map, but this idea really isn't selling me. I think I'd rather see you let loose on something else!

But best of luck if you continue.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:55 am

IH, is this the sort of thing you are looking for, as I think I can run with this. If this is the sort of thing to go with, colours will need to be kept to a minimum as the only things that would of gone onto a BP would be pencil/pen marks.
Click image to enlarge.

Should be able to run with this as a normal style continent map.

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:57 am

AndyDufresne wrote:You know, I like your Rorke's Drift map, but this idea really isn't selling me. I think I'd rather see you let loose on something else!

But best of luck if you continue.

--Andy

I let myself lose on the Falklands. Hope you like that one.

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:32 am

Gillipig wrote:

I'm not much for all these colourful colours :) . I think making it look less doodle like and more architect like is the way to go.

I think that is why I was having so much trouble with it. So many colours to factor in. Hopefully the BP idae has legs as this is an iconic building with so many rooms.

Postby Gillipig on Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:06 am

I like the blueprint idea and the first draft of it looks okay. I don't know how to change this but the oval office looks like a toilet seat ;) .
Lieutenant Gillipig

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:45 am

Gillipig wrote:the oval office looks like a toilet seat ;) .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You cannot blame me for that. If the American president wants his office to look like a crapper, who are we to argue with him. ;)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:22 am

Click image to enlarge.

The image is coming along now that I have a direction. But gameplay is stumping me as it wuld mean using more colours which I would rather not use.

Any ideas anyone?

Postby Gillipig on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:00 am

I think the oval office does itself more justice in real life ;) . Having different colours on the territory names might solve your bonus problem. If you want the names to be the same colour too you might want to name them in a way that makes it easy to see what territs belongs to the same bonus. I'm thinking "R1 Kennedy", "R2 Roosevelt" for example.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:40 am

Here is the finished image for the drafting room. Updating the first post.

Version 1.
Click image to enlarge.

Re: West Wing [7/11] Version 1. Page 1&2 [Drafting room plea

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:39 pm

No love for your Newsletter boss? *chuckles*

Anywho, I like the new design, though I don't think you need it that huge. I think you could easily scale it down.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:49 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:No love for your Newsletter boss? *chuckles*

Anywho, I like the new design, though I don't think you need it that huge. I think you could easily scale it down.

-Sully

Can easily be scaled down but would want to wait for a few versions as if it gets scaled down and the GP/Gr change then the room may be needed. Right now the text is very basic and cuold easily change. As soon as the GP direction is sorted and the legend text is sort of finished then it will get done. I applied for the full size of supersize just in case.

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:40 am

I'm glad to see you took Helix's suggestion. I think this will go a long way with this theme. It's like the movies where the good guys a re looking at a blueprint to decide the best way in and take out the bad guys.

As for colors for the bonuses, I say color all the names for the specific bonus and go with that.

And since this looks like a good working draft I think this can be moved.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 37
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks isaiah.

Will go with the coloured names for the bonus zones but right now we need to figure them out. There are 14 bosses on the map at the moment (soon to be 15 with the addition of Sully, he was late to the party). As soon as they are positioned in roughly the right way, I can go about changing the colours of the font.

Re: West Wing [7/11] Version 1. Page 1 & 2

Postby lostatlimbo on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:50 am

I'm still not understanding what makes this a White House map. You have conquer club players mixed with presidents, but they could be placed in any setting. What makes this unique to the white house?

And why are there random impassable lines in each room?

There is an election coming up. It might be interesting to have a map where you have to gain electoral votes for troops with the goal of winning the oval office?
Lieutenant lostatlimbo

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (8)

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:32 am

lostatlimbo wrote:I'm still not understanding what makes this a White House map. You have conquer club players mixed with presidents, but they could be placed in any setting. What makes this unique to the white house?

It is the floor plan of the white house.
I am still trying to come up with a theme that works for me. This is the reason I said that the legend is not finalised.
Ran out of Presidents so had to put random names in for now.
lostatlimbo wrote:And why are there random impassable lines in each room?

Because that is the way the White house plans are. This is a direct copy of them.

lostatlimbo wrote:There is an election coming up. It might be interesting to have a map where you have to gain electoral votes for troops with the goal of winning the oval office?

Elections come and go. Having an electoral map would only seem relevant every 4 years.

I came up with 2 ideas, the first one sucked and the second one is going in the right direction but it is still only a lose thread of an idea. isaiah40 idea of having the bad guys planning a heist seems to be taking another step into that direction while also going back a step.

What I am planning to do is use isaiah40 idea, place the bosses around the white house on the outside so they will all have a unique entry point. Instead of using the rooms as winning condition, use works of art of objects that would be found in each room. Sort of like the scene in National Treasure when they break into the oval office for a clue.

Postby lostatlimbo on Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Just to throw out another idea for you to mull over... what if you had areas for all the Cabinet members and received bonuses for holding them in succession? (As in, you get more troops the higher up the chain you go, but don't if you lose someone at the bottom?)

There are roughly 25 notable positions you could use:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... _officials

You could also have the White House Chief of Staff, Deputy Chief of Staff, Chief of Staff to the VP, etc.

I understand you are struggling with the theme, but that's why I'm throwing ideas out to help stoke some inspiration. :)
Lieutenant lostatlimbo

Postby lostatlimbo on Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:39 pm

Or what if you had newly passed federal laws as starting positions. Each player must gain support in the white house, but the player who conquers the Oval Office could veto (bombard) the laws?
Lieutenant lostatlimbo

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:15 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:Just to throw out another idea for you to mull over... what if you had areas for all the Cabinet members and received bonuses for holding them in succession? (As in, you get more troops the higher up the chain you go, but don't if you lose someone at the bottom?)

There are roughly 25 notable positions you could use:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... _officials

You could also have the White House Chief of Staff, Deputy Chief of Staff, Chief of Staff to the VP, etc.

I understand you are struggling with the theme, but that's why I'm throwing ideas out to help stoke some inspiration. :)

I got this list of cabinet members when I was trying out the first idea with the bad guys holding the West Wing hostage. Putting a few in around the offices might add another element to the gameplay. Giving them there own bonus might not be a bad thing but I would not want it to develop to much in this direction.
Code: Select all
Vice President of the United States
Joseph R. Biden

Department of State
Secretary Hillary Rodham Clinton
http://www.state.gov

Department of the Treasury
Secretary Timothy F. Geithner
http://www.treasury.gov

Department of Defense
Secretary Leon E. Panetta
http://www.defenselink.mil

Department of Justice
Attorney General Eric H. Holder, Jr.
http://www.usdoj.gov

Department of the Interior
Secretary Kenneth L. Salazar
http://www.doi.gov

Department of Agriculture
Secretary Thomas J. Vilsack
http://www.usda.gov

Department of Commerce
Acting Secretary Dr. Rebecca M. Blank
http://www.commerce.gov

Department of Labor
Secretary Hilda L. Solis
http://www.dol.gov

Department of Health and Human Services
Secretary Kathleen Sebelius
http://www.hhs.gov

Department of Housing and Urban Development
Secretary Shaun L.S. Donovan
http://www.hud.gov

Department of Transportation
Secretary Ray LaHood
http://www.dot.gov

Department of Energy
Secretary Steven Chu
http://www.energy.gov

Department of Education
Secretary Arne Duncan
http://www.ed.gov

Department of Veterans Affairs
Secretary Eric K. Shinseki
http://www.va.gov

Department of Homeland Security
Secretary Janet A. Napolitano
http://www.dhs.gov

The following positions have the status of Cabinet-rank:

White House Chief of Staff
Bill Daley

Environmental Protection Agency
Administrator Lisa P. Jackson
http://www.epa.gov

Office of Management & Budget
Jacob J. Lew, Director
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb

United States Trade Representative
Ambassador Ronald Kirk
http://www.ustr.gov

United States Ambassador to the United Nations
Ambassador Susan Rice
http://www.usunnewyork.usmission.gov/

Council of Economic Advisers
http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/cea/

Or what if you had newly passed federal laws as starting positions. Each player must gain support in the white house, but the player who conquers the Oval Office could veto (bombard) the laws?

I cannot really see the fun in this, plus we have the senate map so I am going to try and stay away from politics to much. ;)

Postby danfrank on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:03 pm

what makes this map worthy of being made .... Sorry to post this here , but your a hot mapmaker right now and you are getting alot of traffic.. but i recall you also had alittle tussle over opinions and colonization. You see " what makes this map worthy of being made " answers to this statement can also cause conflicts of Opinion :roll: :lol:

By the way nice map !!
Sergeant danfrank

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas