Eurasia Map [Old thread]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Eurasia [8.12.11] pg4

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:56 am

As for Sulawesi, it's considered to be a part of Asia by most definitions of Asia. It belongs to the group of Maritime Southeast Asia, also known as Indonesian Archipelago, or East Indies. This group is included in the definition of Asia. Therefore I don't see any problem including Sulawesi on the map.

Ireland and Iceland are totally different countries, so the comparison is invalid. Sumatra and Java are both part of Indonesia.

There have been so many people complaining (at least two) that they cannot see the Java island on the map, that a compromise was made to include it nominally to Sumatra. However, if you can think of a better name for the region that is representative of the western islands of Indonesia, I can change it to that.

(West Indonesia?)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby Geger on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:06 am

I can accept "west Indonesia" :)
Colonel Geger

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:26 am

And So It Was Done.

(also added Shaanxi, but decided against Andaman - it's too small and it'd be hard to tell which bonus it belongs to, especially for colour blind)

Click image to enlarge.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: Eurasia [9.12.11] pg5

Postby perchorin on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:50 am

This is looking absolutely fantastic!
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Medals: 118
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (28) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:59 am

Glad to hear it.

Postby The Bison King on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:54 am

oh dude... I've been on vacation and this is the first time I've looked back into the foundry since I got back. Then I see this. Then I say, Nice!

My only suggestion at this point would be to split Beijing into 2 territories. Beijing and Nei Mongol/near Mongolia. Maybe give Nei Mongol to the west China bonus and change their names to Inner China and Outer China.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:25 am

The Bison King wrote:oh dude... I've been on vacation and this is the first time I've looked back into the foundry since I got back. Then I see this. Then I say, Nice!

Thanks! It's so nice to hear so much good feedback for this map.

My only suggestion at this point would be to split Beijing into 2 territories. Beijing and Nei Mongol/near Mongolia. Maybe give Nei Mongol to the west China bonus and change their names to Inner China and Outer China.

I like the idea, except that the current border between West/East Chinas follows the official divisions:

So on that point of view it'd make more sense to keep the territory on the East side. (Plus it's a much larger pain to change the bonus divisions than to change the territory borders, but that of course has nothing to do with my opinion... )

On the other hand, from a gameplay perspective it'd make more sense to add it to the west, to keep the East a more feasible bonus... and I just said all this fancy stuff about how gameplay comes first, didn't I...

So I'm a bit stumped. You know, considering the gameplay again, I'd much rather add a territory to West India, maybe split Central India or Madras... from a pure gameplay perspective, that's the one area that could use an additional territory, I think... I'm not saying adding one in China is a totally bad idea, I could live with that, but India would be more preferable, you know?

And since we're on the subject of China, I wonder if there'd be a better name for the superbonus - seeing as how it includes Mongolia and all. :-k

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:33 am

In regards to renaming the superbonus of China, I know that 'East Asia' has traditionally been Mongolia, China (and Taiwan), Japan, and Korea. Since you have 'Far East' being Korea and Japan, you could still make the superbonus 'East Asia' I think.

Doing this would also probably allow you to put Far East into a superbonus, instead of awkwardly standing alone.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:56 am

AndyDufresne wrote:In regards to renaming the superbonus of China, I know that 'East Asia' has traditionally been Mongolia, China (and Taiwan), Japan, and Korea. Since you have 'Far East' being Korea and Japan, you could still make the superbonus 'East Asia' I think.

Doing this would also probably allow you to put Far East into a superbonus, instead of awkwardly standing alone.

Well, it would be nice... but isn't there any alternative name to "East Asia"? I already have several bonus & superbonus names with cardinal directions in them, and I kinda wouldn't like to overdo it, you know?

Then there's one other consideration... and maybe I'm being a bit silly here, but... aesthetically, I kind of like having that yellow Far East there, the colour looks really good there, providing a good contrast to the purple hues of China... if I were to merge it in the same superbonus I'd have to make it follow the colour scheme of China.

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:59 am

natty_dread wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:In regards to renaming the superbonus of China, I know that 'East Asia' has traditionally been Mongolia, China (and Taiwan), Japan, and Korea. Since you have 'Far East' being Korea and Japan, you could still make the superbonus 'East Asia' I think.

Well, it would be nice... but isn't there any alternative name to "East Asia"? I already have several bonus & superbonus names with cardinal directions in them, and I kinda wouldn't like to overdo it, you know?

Then there's one other consideration... and maybe I'm being a bit silly here, but... aesthetically, I kind of like having that yellow Far East there, the colour looks really good there, providing a good contrast to the purple hues of China... if I were to merge it in the same superbonus I'd have to make it follow the colour scheme of China.

Yeah, I like the color scheme too.

East Asia is a pretty traditional and standard name. There might be a historical name that could fit, like Cathay or something, but I don't think that would be very accurate either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Locat ... egions.png

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Hm, I'll have to think about this.

like this :-k

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:48 pm

natty_dread wrote:On the other hand, from a gameplay perspective it'd make more sense to add it to the west, to keep the East a more feasible bonus... and I just said all this fancy stuff about how gameplay comes first, didn't I...

"They're more like guidelines, anyway..." ;)

I think on the other things that have been brought up.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby natty dread on Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:22 am

Ok, after considering this from all possible points of view, I've come to the conclusion that Andy's idea of annexing Far East to the China group is the best course of action here.

There's already 2 smaller superboni in the eastern part, S.E. Asia and India, so making the China/East Asia one slightly larger isn't that bad from a gameplay perspective.

The colour scheme has to be changed, but that's just realities of life :(

Postby natty dread on Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:41 am

Said and done!

Click image to enlarge.

The bonus values in the legend are just placeholders, btw. They can all be changed later...

Re: Eurasia [10.12.11] pg5

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:02 am

I like the change :) As far as aesthetics are concerned, you could try giving Southeast Asia the yellow hues, since Russia's already brown anyway.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas