Classic Cities : Buenos Aires [20/2] Vacation please.

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Classic Cities : Buenos Aires [20/2] Vacation please.

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Map Name:Buenos Aires
Mapmaker(s):koontz1973
Number of Territories:Around 44
Special Features:Not on this one. :(
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:Classic city and pretty girls. ;)

Map Image:
Click image to enlarge.

show: PREVIOUS VERSION

show: gameplay notes

Comments?
Last edited by koontz1973 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:18 am, edited 17 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Re: Classic Cities : Buenos Aires [28/1] pg1

Postby natty dread on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:23 pm

What's with the 4-way borders? You should know by now...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:26 pm

natty_dread wrote:What's with the 4-way borders? You should know by now...

Bugger. Will get a park square there. Any other comments apart from that?
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Postby sannemanrobinson on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Good start. Something specific for the city would be nice. Now it could be almost any city.
Landmarks with touristic routes...
Monopoly of drug trades..
Gated communities with neutral guards.. Night clubs... Economic drivers.. etc..
Major sannemanrobinson

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (5) Training Achievement (1)

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:26 am

sannemanrobinson wrote:Good start. Something specific for the city would be nice. Now it could be almost any city.
Landmarks with touristic routes...
Monopoly of drug trades..
Gated communities with neutral guards.. Night clubs... Economic drivers.. etc..

You are right that it can be any city around the world but adding landmarks that no one has heard of would not help that. I also does not fit the current style of the map. The image on the left will have to suffice for now. The GP is different enough to warrant no GP gimmicks.

Version 2 has sorted out the 2 four way borders (these are not there in RL but on the map with the territ lines, they could cause confusion).
Different park set up - in the same style.
Click image to enlarge.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Re: Classic Cities : Buenos Aires [28/1] pg1 v2

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:00 am

koontz1973, this is the map of BA i was going to do ages ago in my World Cities 12 Pack when size restrictions were still in place...
Can i suggest rather than the cathedral you've got, since Argentina is reknowned for it, perhaps a couple doing el tango, or even an image of the wide boulevarde in BA.
Also, you could work in some freeways as impassables. Just suggestions.
I like the colours :)
Corporal cairnswk

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:06 am

Cairnswk, can do and if you do not mind, I will copy your idea of using 4 smaller pictures in the corners.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Re: Classic Cities : Buenos Aires [29/1] pg1 v3

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:29 am

New dancers. Went with a drawing as this seems to fit the paper better. The map itslef I am thinking of lowering the opacity of again desaturating some. Ideas?
Click image to enlarge.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:47 am

koontz1973 wrote:Cairnswk, can do and if you do not mind, I will copy your idea of using 4 smaller pictures in the corners.

Please do if it works for you... :)

I like the top image, not sure what the bottom one is, or is that an extension of the top one?
Anyway early days yet. You may totally change your mind.
Corporal cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: Classic Cities : Buenos Aires [29/1] pg1 v4

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:24 am

Changed the bottom image for you cairnswk and added the one on the right. I know the bottom left might be seen as risqué so if anyone objects, I will take it of. But one of the things that Argentina is famous for is beautiful ladies as well as the tango.
Also removed the auto deploy and changed the GP notes to show that everyone gets 2 territs to stop R! knock outs.
Click image to enlarge.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Re: Classic Cities : Buenos Aires [29/1] pg1 v4

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:55 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Changed the bottom image for you cairnswk and added the one on the right. I know the bottom left might be seen as risqué so if anyone objects, I will take it of. But one of the things that Argentina is famous for is beautiful ladies as well as the tango.
Also removed the auto deploy and changed the GP notes to show that everyone gets 2 territs to stop R! knock outs.
Click image to enlarge.

Agreed about the ladies, i'll be interested to see where this leads. ;)
Corporal cairnswk

Re: Classic Cities : Buenos Aires [30/1] pg1 v5

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:19 am

Brought out the playing area.
Made the lady on the right larger to fill the top space.
Click image to enlarge.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby Nesoi on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:02 pm

Without being rude, but there are so, so many maps on this website - what new appealing dimension does this map add? As a new player, I can safely say that I was overwhelmed with the sheer number of maps on this website and to me, this looks like more of the same!

Sorry!!

Nesoi
Private 1st Class Nesoi

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:32 pm

Ok, I have to say, I think you're going to need a better bonus structure here...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:20 am

Nesoi wrote:Without being rude, but there are so, so many maps on this website - what new appealing dimension does this map add? As a new player, I can safely say that I was overwhelmed with the sheer number of maps on this website and to me, this looks like more of the same!

Sorry!!

Nesoi

Sorry you feel that way but it is early days and things will change.
natty_dread wrote:Ok, I have to say, I think you're going to need a better bonus structure here...

And once again, a natty_dread put down with nothing constructive.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas