Classic Cities : Buenos Aires [20/2] Vacation please.

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Classic Cities : Buenos Aires [4/2] pg1/2 v6

Postby tokle on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:51 pm

Donitz wasn't really a Nazi. He was just a soldier that got caught up in the mess.
He was acquitted of the charges of crimes against humanity at the nuremberg trials.

Having said that, I find this nazi theme a bit off.
I'm pretty sure you could come up with a better theme for this City.
Major tokle

Medals: 147
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (29) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (44) Tournament Contribution (32)
General Contribution (2)

Re: Classic Cities : Buenos Aires [11/2] pg1/3 v3

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:05 am

I know it is ugly but want to share which way this one is going to go now. All gimicks are gone and I am going to go with the history of the city and its expansion over the last 2 centuries. Found a map that shows the growth for this time period. I have kept the mordern names for the provenances and some have had to be merged, especially with the oldest times as the city was very small and had as many regions as the modern city had.

Will work on getting this up to foundry level now. Expect that over the next couple of days. Anything needing to be added (I know the time line needs to be finished) or textures you want to see, let me know.

Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Re: Classic Cities : Buenos Aires [12/2] pg1/3 v3.2

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:18 am

Click image to enlarge.

Cleaned the image up.
Added the photos of the city through time.
Finished of the title/bonus legend.
Added the neutral starts.
Textures.
Colours optimized.
Impassables done.
Names moved. Now with drop shadow instead of glow.
Added the cities symbol.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Postby Flapcake on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:50 pm

I realy like the pictures of the city and the legend are also nice, the impasseble trees are not my thing, small houses could look nice, to give the impression of a city ;)
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (3)

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:57 pm

Thats an idea fc. Would also be a way to show the difference between the historic and modern cities. Will look at putting them in.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:24 pm

Glad you ditched the Nazis, I really like the idea of using houses instead of trees and I hope to see it in the next update. One thing kind of bothers me and that's the bonus legend. You should put a little paragraph explaining how the legend works and explaining that the city is divided into time periods... a very unique approach to a city map, in my opinion. Also Mordern should be Modern and you should say something like, Hold all of the the Modern/Historical City for +X troops.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:38 pm

Looks much better than the nazi version.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Thanks guys, just looking for that next level. The basic GP is sorted, it is just that graphical flare to bring this idea to life that is needed now.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Please forget the rest of the image for the moment, I need help with the houses. Any idea on how to draw them freehand (that means no of the shelf images) and make them look like the rest of the map in style. If the houses do not fit, then I can change the style of map easy enough. I have only drawn the first type of house. The large ones are where they need to be and then I shrunk them down. Does the smaller version work, if so then I can use those. I kind of like them as the colours fit the city photos. I can change the colours for the map to fit those quite easy.
Click image to enlarge.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Re: Classic Cities : Buenos Aires [12/2] HELP page 3.

Postby Flapcake on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:31 pm

You know im not that good an artist to draw those houses in free hand, I would have fond some toy houses on google and then have made an make over in PS.

but i like that idea much better than the trees ;)
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (3)

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:54 pm

You should draw an individuakl house firt then shrink it down and copy and paste it repeatedly. Use the line tool.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:19 pm

What's a line tool?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:29 pm

natty dread wrote:What's a line tool?

PS has a line tool where you can draw do straight lines without having to push and hold the shift key.
ImageImage
show: High Score
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby Gillipig on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:58 am

First time I see this map. Looks nice koontz :)! I like the trees you've chosen, and I like the bonus colours. Your legend is very unique which is usually something I say before I criticize it but I actually like it! Two thumbs up for this map :)! If I were to add something constructive it would be that the water needs improvement. Add some waves or different texture to the water, it's a bit too simple and none water looking at the moment. I also think that the borders are a bit too thick.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:05 am

Thanks gillipig, things are changing a lot for the next version. Got to get the impassables done right or not at all. Can make the territ lines a tad thinner but I sort of like the large chunky look to them.

there will be a lot going on inside the map so lets hope I do not over do it.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas