Israel (V3.0)

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Israel (V2)

Postby tokle on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:You got a point when you say Israel/Palestine is one of the most fought over pieces of territory. But I need to point out that Golan, Gaza and the West Bank are disputed territories and we want to avoid people getting angry at the foundry or CC because of touchy issues. So you should mention that they are disputed territories on the map... maybe throw in a decay or something if you feel like it. Also, the map is a little too small for the CC numbers to fit, so you might need to make things bigger.

Golan isn't actually shown on this map. I think that label might be wrong.
Major tokle

Medals: 159
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (47) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (2)

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:02 pm

tokle wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:You got a point when you say Israel/Palestine is one of the most fought over pieces of territory. But I need to point out that Golan, Gaza and the West Bank are disputed territories and we want to avoid people getting angry at the foundry or CC because of touchy issues. So you should mention that they are disputed territories on the map... maybe throw in a decay or something if you feel like it. Also, the map is a little too small for the CC numbers to fit, so you might need to make things bigger.

Golan isn't actually shown on this map. I think that label might be wrong.

Well, the actual occupied Golan Heights area is much bigger but the territory labelled Golan, I'm pretty sure, is at least a little bit in that occupied area.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby pitrules88 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:30 pm

maybe I will just change the map name to "Israel & Disputed Territories" LOL! But I will try to clarify on the map that some of the territories are disputed, especially in Gaza. I think Golan is accurate in the placement that I have it in, maybe the borders are not exact but that is a part of Israel and there's nothing else all the way up there in the Northeast part of the country.
Brigadier pitrules88

Medals: 35
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:24 am

I think you should redraw the map in a larger size. It's always better to create the large image first, and your current map is too tight for a large map...

Also, the shape of the map isn't very convenient, people don't like scrolling. Maybe you could rotate the map a bit to give it a more square aspect?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby tokle on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:10 am

pitrules88 wrote:maybe I will just change the map name to "Israel & Disputed Territories" LOL! But I will try to clarify on the map that some of the territories are disputed, especially in Gaza. I think Golan is accurate in the placement that I have it in, maybe the borders are not exact but that is a part of Israel and there's nothing else all the way up there in the Northeast part of the country.

This is where Golan is:
Major tokle

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (47) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (2)

Postby tokle on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:12 pm

What you call Golan is the Hula Valley. Or since you are using cities for your labels, Qiryat Shmona.
Major tokle

Postby Oneyed on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:23 pm

I like the idea, but folow the advices posted here by some guys...

Oneyed
Sergeant Oneyed

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby pitrules88 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:01 pm

Made the updates that was suggested in the posts.

I agree that members usually don't like scrolling up and down to see the whole map, but I really don't know how to make it more square. I also got rid of the circle around the army troop count, but I'm actually thinking about putting them back in with a white background because some of the colors don't match well with the background colors I have on the map.
Brigadier pitrules88

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: Israel (V2.1)

Postby natty dread on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:48 am

pitrules88 wrote:I agree that members usually don't like scrolling up and down to see the whole map, but I really don't know how to make it more square.

Like I said, rotate the map.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby pitrules88 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:05 pm

I tried rotating the map but it just didn't look right to me. So instead, I decided just to widen it. What do you think of this? Maybe I should possibly even widen it more?

Click image to enlarge.
Brigadier pitrules88

Postby natty dread on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:36 pm

Personally I think rotating it would be better, as it would reduce the scrolling. I have to scroll the current image and I don't even have a widescreen...

After rotating you'll have to re-trace the map and redraw the graphics, but that's something you're going to have to do anyway.

Postby crazymilkshake5 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:08 pm

At the current size of the image, you would have to get it supersized, which it wouldnt pass the supersize standards, so the size would have to get changed... I could help if you want? i could do the graphics and you could do the XML?

cheers.
highscore
Captain crazymilkshake5

Medals: 81
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (8) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (17) General Contribution (3)

Postby pitrules88 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:09 pm

I have been pm'ing with crazymilkshake5 - I just want to make it clear that he's going to play a significant role in the map-making process. So between the two of us, the map is going to be created.
Brigadier pitrules88

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:15 pm

crazymilkshake5 wrote:At the current size of the image, you would have to get it supersized, which it wouldnt pass the supersize standards

Milkshake, did you become a CA when I wasn't looking?

You have no business telling mapmakers that their map "won't pass supersize". That's up to the CA:s to decide.

Postby crazymilkshake5 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:28 pm

Well sorry natty, god.

They would just say that it can fit within the normal map size, I'v been here long enough to know at least that much.
highscore
Captain crazymilkshake5

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (8) Map Contribution (1)

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:19 pm

No need to apologize, but you shouldn't confuse new mapmakers - if you give advice about the foundry protocols you need to be sure it's correct.

As the map is currently, it would likely require some supersize. And the supersize guidelines aren't very strict anymore - maps have been given supersize for purely graphical reasons, it's always judged on a map-to-map basis.

Anyway, you do have a point, in that there are ways to make the map size more comfortable - overly long maps are annoying in that they require scrolling up & down... rotating the map slightly would get rid of this problem.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Hey, pitrules,

I've got some gameplay suggestions:

1) If one holds all the Palestinian terries, they get an extra bonus.

It might make the gameplay more interesting for 2-4 player scenarios.

2) If not all Palestinian terries, how about giving an extra bonus for holding an incremental amount of cities? (+2 for 3 cities, or something like that)?

3) Perhaps, have the Sinai Desert be represented by a "Bedouin base," which connects to all terries bordering the Sinai Desert?

That might make the map less static, or bottle-necked.

4) This one might be crazier, too complicated, or not useful enough:

Have checkpoints in between each territory. If you control the checkpoint, you control access in between the two territories.

For example, player 1 holds Hebron, and the Hebron-Shemesh checkpoint. Player 2 holds Dimona and the Dimon-Hebron checkpoint. Player 1 can only attack Shemesh (via the checkpoint), but can't attack Dimona from Hebron--unless Player 1 controls the Dimon-Hebron checkpoint.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:26 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:For example, player 1 holds Hebron, and the Hebron-Shemesh checkpoint. Player 2 holds Dimona and the Dimon-Hebron checkpoint. Player 1 can only attack Shemesh (via the checkpoint), but can't attack Dimona from Hebron--unless Player 1 controls the Dimon-Hebron checkpoint.

If I read this right, you'd want the borders between territories to be dependent on holding a checkpoint. This would require conditional borders which are not possible as of yet.

Or if you mean that there's simply a checkpoint between each territory and the territories don't border directly but only via the checkpoints, then that's doable.

Postby crazymilkshake5 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:54 pm

First off, Ya'll do know that im doing the grafics for this map, right? and i like the checkpoint idea, ill run it by Pit
highscore
Captain crazymilkshake5

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:12 pm

natty dread wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:For example, player 1 holds Hebron, and the Hebron-Shemesh checkpoint. Player 2 holds Dimona and the Dimon-Hebron checkpoint. Player 1 can only attack Shemesh (via the checkpoint), but can't attack Dimona from Hebron--unless Player 1 controls the Dimon-Hebron checkpoint.

If I read this right, you'd want the borders between territories to be dependent on holding a checkpoint. This would require conditional borders which are not possible as of yet.

Or if you mean that there's simply a checkpoint between each territory and the territories don't border directly but only via the checkpoints, then that's doable.

This.

But it means that a checkpoint counts as a terry. And each original territory (before this checkpoint idea) should be represented with a central "checkpoint HQ," so to speak.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby pitrules88 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:15 pm

I like the checkpoint idea, we'll see how it looks printed out. Crazymilkshake has taken over the design work as I think I ran into too many small issues along the way that would take a lot of time to correct - and as natty pointed it, it was too narrow and when I rotated it the whole thing it looked horrible. So basically I would have had to start from scratch with all the labelling. As I said, very time consuming, but I think crazymilkshake is on the right track.
Brigadier pitrules88

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:22 am

pitrules88 wrote:I like the checkpoint idea, we'll see how it looks printed out. Crazymilkshake has taken over the design work as I think I ran into too many small issues along the way that would take a lot of time to correct - and as natty pointed it, it was too narrow and when I rotated it the whole thing it looked horrible. So basically I would have had to start from scratch with all the labelling. As I said, very time consuming, but I think crazymilkshake is on the right track.

Not sure which solution you're going to end up using, but I would like to weigh in from a player's point of view: a map that requires scrolling is always annoying. Whatever you need to do to get it to fit on one screen, do it!
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 136
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (19)
General Achievement (15) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:25 am

Dukasaur wrote:
pitrules88 wrote:I like the checkpoint idea, we'll see how it looks printed out. Crazymilkshake has taken over the design work as I think I ran into too many small issues along the way that would take a lot of time to correct - and as natty pointed it, it was too narrow and when I rotated it the whole thing it looked horrible. So basically I would have had to start from scratch with all the labelling. As I said, very time consuming, but I think crazymilkshake is on the right track.

Not sure which solution you're going to end up using, but I would like to weigh in from a player's point of view: a map that requires scrolling is always annoying. Whatever you need to do to get it to fit on one screen, do it!

or buy a bigger screen :P
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:26 pm

So, any update on the Israel project?
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Postby crazymilkshake5 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:04 pm

Not yet mate, I'm in the process of moving currently, so i dont have much time to do anything. sorry.
highscore
Captain crazymilkshake5

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas