Nigeria (Updated 22 Apr) V7, pg3

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Nigeria V5

Postby Gillipig on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:55 pm

Click image to enlarge.

What I did:
1) I cropped the image to fit the largest size allowed without going supersize.
2) I changed the bonus colour scheme back to version 3's.
3) I added a tribe bonus system and I made some tribe symbols. They're supposed to look like an African tribe masks on a triangular shield. I know it looks nothing like it but it was my first try.
4) I made a mini map.
5) I made the rest of what i think needs to be explained in the legend at this point which is impassables.

Is this enough to get me moved to the drafting room?

I'd like to get some feedback on my bonuses. Are they too large? too many borders? Should I split them into smaller bonuses and/or rearrange the territory borders? What do you think about the tribe bonus?
What I'm doing next depends very much what you guys think I should work on.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: Nigeria V4

Postby natty dread on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Ok the cropping is ok but the title looks really awkward at the top, like it doesn't fit there properly, and the balance of the image is a bit skewed...

And yeah, this should be moved to the drafting room.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: Nigeria V4

Postby Gillipig on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:05 pm

natty dread wrote:Ok the cropping is ok but the title looks really awkward at the top, like it doesn't fit there properly, and the balance of the image is a bit skewed...

And yeah, this should be moved to the drafting room.

I noticed that while I made it too. I think I have two alternatives. Either move the title to the water like you did or make more room upstairs meaning I'd have to get ride of some space where the legend and minim map are. I do have a lot of space down there at the moment but if a lot more things are going into the legend then I might not have much space.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: Nigeria V5 (Updated 6 Mar)

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:55 pm

This one is looking good, how about a move on.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby Gillipig on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:44 am

Industrial Helix wrote:This one is looking good, how about a move on.

Great! Now I'm just waiting for some feedback on what I need to work on.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby natty dread on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:16 am

Move the title and crop the image a bit more on the right side, there's some needless empty space on the right side that makes the playable area not be on the center of the image.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby Flapcake on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:08 am

natty dread wrote:Move the title and crop the image a bit more on the right side, there's some needless empty space on the right side that makes the playable area not be on the center of the image.

what I would had sayd ;)

What about, instead of the tribe bonus, (wich is not bad) let tribes atack each other, like tribes some times do :P then the tribe bonus you did, change it to "villages"

this way you got 1 more gameplay isue to the map and can put in some cool theme stuff, eg. village huts :mrgreen:

still cool colour set ;)

PS. cool jungle names for the tribes ?
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (3)

Postby Gillipig on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:51 am

Update coming tomorrow for sure!
I'll be on the train for a couple of hours on Saturday so I won't have anything else to do :).
Lieutenant Gillipig

Re: Nigeria V6 (Updated 18 Mar)

Postby Gillipig on Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:56 am

Click image to enlarge.

What I did:
    Cropped the image to get rid of some wasted space and make the map being the center of the attention again.
    Moved the title, changed the colour and gave it a different texture.
    Changed two of the bonus colours and modified the mini map.
    Added villages to the gameplay and altered the role of tribes.
    Added a win condition.
    I unintentionally changed the intensity of the colours when I went from working on my pc at home to my mac on the train.
    Let me know what you think of that. I kinda like the increased intensity!

Don't really know what to do for the next update so feeedback please :).
Lieutenant Gillipig

Re: Nigeria V6 (Updated 18 Mar)

Postby Flapcake on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:03 am

Gillipig wrote:
What I did:
    Cropped the image to get rid of some wasted space and make the map being the center of the attention again.
    Moved the title, changed the colour and gave it a different texture.
    Changed two of the bonus colours and modified the mini map.
    Added villages to the gameplay and altered the role of tribes.
    Added a win condition.
    I unintentionally changed the intensity of the colours when I went from working on my pc at home to my mac on the train.
    Let me know what you think of that. I kinda like the increased intensity!

Don't really know what to do for the next update so feeedback please :).

I still like the colour set, stick whit that :)
The gameplay works greate for me ;)

The icons, trees, tribes and hut need some serius work, I suggest you dont add any trees but maby just green vegetation or rivers. trees looks wierd lying down on the side. The tribe icon, hard for me to tell what its imagen, only becourse i know what it represents I can tell. Same with the villages, would look better if it was a single hut, made of clay/cowdirt and straws ;)

You got a solid map and definitely worth taking all the way.

Flap.
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (3)

Re: Nigeria V6 (Updated 18 Mar) Pg2

Postby Gillipig on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:26 am

Update coming up on Saturday.
Thanks for the feedback flap. I'll look into the symbols on Saturday. I plan to see this map through. Though I'm not as quick as some mapmakers. Some weeks I have more time than others, and some weeks I feel more motivated to work on the map than others ;) . This week I've been longing to make an update so I will :)! I'll comment on some map threads on Saturday as well. I seem to have quit doing that after a week where almost nothing happened in the foundry about a month ago.

P.S What are the criteria to get a map moved to the main foundry?
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:17 am

Looking good. I think if you move the "Unite all tribes ...", mini-map, title up a bit you can chop off the excess off the bottom and still have it clear and uncluttered. As for the move you're close ;)
ImageImage
show: High Score
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 36
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby erazor on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi Gillipig, like the map but I can see a problem with the winning condition. By the time you hold what you have, all tribes and 7 villages, you have already won the game. Can you make it more realistic to get?
Sergeant erazor

Medals: 35
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:19 am

Can I say nice map. With that said it looks a bit messy. A few of the lines need to be redrawn. Almost looks like you had a pixel loss when updating.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 140
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby Gillipig on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:35 am

Bruceswar wrote:Can I say nice map. With that said it looks a bit messy. A few of the lines need to be redrawn. Almost looks like you had a pixel loss when updating.

Well I think I need to redraw all of them ;)! It was done very quickly. I plan on redrawing them in the near future. I'm also going to redraw the symbols. I don't think there's been a pixel loss when I uploaded the mage but I might be mistaken.

erazor wrote:Hi Gillipig, like the map but I can see a problem with the winning condition. By the time you hold what you have, all tribes and 7 villages, you have already won the game. Can you make it more realistic to get?

I could reduce the amount of villages needed to hold the condition I guess. Maybe 5 is better!?
Lieutenant Gillipig

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas