The Black Sea [July 2nd] V.2, Pg. 1 & 4

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Black Sea [July 2nd] V.2, Pg. 1 & 4

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:32 am

tkr4lf wrote:Feedback/Discussion wanted: - Still need some discussion on these issues...
Does this one look ok so far? Are the colors acceptable? I really liked the previous version better, but not much I can do about it. I can keep tweaking the colors, but they're pretty close to how they were. As long as people don't hate them, then I'll probably leave them be.

Colours look OK for now.
I'm going to abandon the victory condition idea. I don't think it really added much to the gameplay. Will anybody really miss it?

Win/lose conditions are fads. If you want one, then find one that fits the map. Like hold all cities.
I am probably going to keep the cities. They will just function as either autodeploys or a +1 per 1 or 2. Is this something you guys would like to see? Or would you rather just see them scrapped and have this a straight up geographic map?

Keep the cities, and a +1 auto is the norm.
Instead of having the Black Sea be a killer neutral that assaults and is assaulted by every land region it touches, I think I'm going to have a killer neutral terit on the sea, and have 1 or 2 terits from each bonus region around it connect to it via sea routes. Does this sound like a better route to go, or did you like it better before?

Black sea killer with a route going north, south, east, west would be good. No need to go overboard with these.

[Moved Back]

Well, with development starting up again on this, lets move it back to the drafting room. O:)

koontz.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973

Medals: 117
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (10)

Postby tkr4lf on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:36 am

koontz1973 wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:Feedback/Discussion wanted: - Still need some discussion on these issues...
Does this one look ok so far? Are the colors acceptable? I really liked the previous version better, but not much I can do about it. I can keep tweaking the colors, but they're pretty close to how they were. As long as people don't hate them, then I'll probably leave them be.

Colours look OK for now.
I'm going to abandon the victory condition idea. I don't think it really added much to the gameplay. Will anybody really miss it?

Win/lose conditions are fads. If you want one, then find one that fits the map. Like hold all cities.
I am probably going to keep the cities. They will just function as either autodeploys or a +1 per 1 or 2. Is this something you guys would like to see? Or would you rather just see them scrapped and have this a straight up geographic map?

Keep the cities, and a +1 auto is the norm.
Instead of having the Black Sea be a killer neutral that assaults and is assaulted by every land region it touches, I think I'm going to have a killer neutral terit on the sea, and have 1 or 2 terits from each bonus region around it connect to it via sea routes. Does this sound like a better route to go, or did you like it better before?

Black sea killer with a route going north, south, east, west would be good. No need to go overboard with these.

[Moved Back]

Well, with development starting up again on this, lets move it back to the drafting room. O:)

koontz.

Cool, thanks Koontz!
Major tkr4lf

Medals: 64
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (14)

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:19 pm

tkr4lf wrote:
Feedback/Discussion wanted: - Still need some discussion on these issues...

The graphics have a way to go I think. For some maps, bonus zone colors can work pretty well graphically (Brazil, Central America, Duck and Cover, England, Far East, First Nations, Iceland, North America 2.0, etc), but for others, I don't think it always works as well (San Marino, San Francisco, Greater China, etc). I suppose it kind of depends on what the final over arching goal you have for the visual aesthetic.

I forgot it was even in the earlier drafts.

Cities fits I think, so thumbs up to keepin' em. It adds a bit of nuance the map.

Is the whole sea 1 region, or would you break it up into something like 3/5 regions? I kind of like the idea of traversing across the water is a quick way to travel on the map, but at the penalty of killer neutrals.

Best of luck.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:03 pm

tkr, anything coming on this one?

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Postby tkr4lf on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:38 am

Sorry, I thought I had the time to work on this, but real life is just too busy right now for me to get anything done. Job searching has taken a priority to everything else at this point.

I'll post something when I can.
Major tkr4lf

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4)

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Koontz, you can just go ahead and put this back in Map Ideas.

I don't have the time or even the inclination to work on this right now.
Major tkr4lf

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:10 am

OK, will do that for you when home from holiday. ;)

Postby Pirlo on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:21 pm

good map
Major Pirlo

Medals: 125
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (16)
General Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (26)

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:12 am

[Moved]

As per map makers request. As soon as an update is made, it will go back in.

koontz

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas