Map Concept

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Map Concept

Postby ljex on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:55 pm

koontz1973 wrote:The supermax multiplier can be done easily, if I get you correctly, you want more than one [gang leader] so you can get a bonus and then a super bonus. That can be done for any level or amount and is a good idea.

Negative bonuses can be done lots of ways. Hold a territ gain a bonus - hold another territ and lose that bonus or more. This has been done on another map already.
You can also have a bonus for a territ while it also decays. Forcing players to either use that bonus to keep the leader or attack. That would also solve the problem of stacking.

Put it this way, if it has been done on a map before, you can do it again. If not, it cannot be done.

what map are you referring to for the negative bonus?

Interesting concept about the decay, will have to think about that.

Generally i don't find stacking to be a problem though that is more than likely due to the style of games i play.
Captain ljex

Medals: 115
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (22) General Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (18) General Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:05 pm

ljex wrote:what map are you referring to for the negative bonus?

steamworks has negative bonuses
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby ljex on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:16 pm

DiM wrote:
ljex wrote:what map are you referring to for the negative bonus?

steamworks has negative bonuses

there are a bunch of maps with negative bonuses, i was asking which one specifically he was referring to
Captain ljex

Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (22) General Achievement (5)

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:21 pm

Off the top of my head last night, could not think of one that had a negative bonus. But you have plenty to plan with now. Hows another image coming?
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973

Medals: 117
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (10)

Postby ljex on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:34 am

koontz1973 wrote:Off the top of my head last night, could not think of one that had a negative bonus. But you have plenty to plan with now. Hows another image coming?

okay, i thought you were talking about a specific map.

I know maps like supermax have one though it is never used in team games

Anyway as for the design of the map, today i worked on sketching a draft however i had to stop due to the fact that i didnt have colored pencils and didnt have anything else to do but place the colored regions. Once i color in the regions, i will scan it and send it to sully to get working on a draft to post here. I can also post it here to get some further comments.

I did also add a new element to the map which i think might need to be altered slightly, basically it is a region that has a few features
3 troop auto deploy
attack colored territories within a range of 2
bombard regular territories within a range of 5
you must control 2 regions of the same color or lowered deploy of 5 (that number is not set yet, and was hoping for this to be a conditional killer neutral effect but unfortunately i learned that is not available with the current xml)

There are 6 of them within the middle of the map and all edge territories are able to be hit by at least one of these with bombardments (most of them only from one). Anyway, i think these might be a little too powerful for certain game types but i think they should be useful in team games which will be a tough balance to find. They are 2 regions removed from any possible regions a player could start with so that makes them somewhat less powerful and i was figuring they should start as a neutral 3 or 4. Anyway i was also toying around with the idea that they can assault others of them within a range of 4 meaning that each of them would connect to 2 others but im not sure if that would make them way to powerful which it might.

I still have a few small details to iron out though i hope to be able to post the next draft by tomorrow or Saturday sometime. I will probably be done by tomorrow evening, its just a matter of having time to go to my school library to scan it and then be able to upload the image online.

After that i will need to start coming up with names for regions, how to people generally do that for a map like this that is not based on anywhere in the world?
Captain ljex

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:40 am

Some nice features there to play with. Just remember, all features will need to be explained some way in the legend.

Lets see your scan as well please.

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Postby ljex on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:45 am

koontz1973 wrote:Some nice features there to play with. Just remember, all features will need to be explained some way in the legend.

Lets see your scan as well please.

Yeah it may be hard to explain some things in the legend, it will probably require broad names for different types of regions but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

I plan to post the scan here as well, i though i said that but i did have to rewrite my entire post...internet crashed :(

Also how do people usually come up with names for territories on maps like this that aren't based on real location?
Captain ljex

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:59 am

Names are the easy part. You can go down the A1 A2 B1 B2 route for now as it makes understanding the map so much easier and will allow followers of the map to suggest changes a lot easier. Later, you can call them what ever you want.

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas