Conquer Club

Marooned (redux)

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

REFER TO PAGE 2 AND VOTE

Total votes : 0

Re: Marooned (redux)

Postby ManBungalow on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:39 pm

I've addressed some minor concerns with this update. The legend portrays the general gameplay I want to end up with.
The title, backstory, and presentation of the legend will all be subject to change. As will the region circles, territory names, boat/trail routes etc.

As I posted on the first page, I need comments about gameplay. Yoshi's comment was particularly useful because it referred to individual start positions and how they could be altered. Incidentally, I've added some temporary region names so that helpful commentators may refer to specific parts of the map (for the time being, you'll have to say "A3 on option B" etc).

I wasn't completely happy with the double-bonus at the top-left. It may be possible to code start positions so that no one player ever drops with the nearby start positions, but that's getting into a touchy area as far as I'm concerned with this map. Subsequently, I've come up with two maps.

Comments and justification are preferable, but voting in the poll will take only a few seconds and will be much appreciated.

Intermediate regions can be added/removed at will, but I'd like an opinion on these two proposals overall (the only difference is at the top left):

OPTION A

Click image to enlarge.

OPTION B
Click image to enlarge.

Oh, one important thing to consider when stating that "X is better because it's closer to Y bonuses" is how much stress is on each bonus region; how many other start positions can attack it and how likely they are to do so. Ideally, this would be played with fog of war, but I'll make sure it's compatible otherwise.

DiM wrote:the first thing i see when i look at this map is bottlenecks. there are so many bottlenecks i'm not even counting. the center map can be held with 1 border. the 2 big islands (N and SE) each has just 2 borders that need to be defended. and movement is very linear.

I was waiting for this comment to pop up in this thread. A major aspect of this map is that linear-ness. You make several decisions in your first moves. You decide where you will deploy, and which way you will go with your troops. If you were to take away all of the intermediate regions, I think you'll find that the other regions fit together quite nicely. If you see a bottleneck, defend it. You may well leave your other side weak, but that's just it.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:32 pm

Here is some things to keep from each.

Option A, on the large island you have A4, there are 3 areas like that on the mountain, do the same for all 3.
Option B, the rocky outcropping route in the north.
The central island, remove the one way attacks and have either of the big islands attack A11 territ as it is on the map now.

If I am correct about this, orange are the starting positions, then get these down to 8. It will make all the rest far easier to do.

I fear as far as GP is concerned, you will always have problems with this one. Does not matter if it is played in fog or not, why would anyone hack through all of those neutrals? only to hit a base with +2 auto deploys on it. It might be better to go down the Antarctica route. +1 for every 2 territs on any island. Place the starting positions around and give these the auto deploy you have. You need an idea to give the starting positions security and a way to attack them. Just an idea.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:34 am

I think I like B, since I can kind of see the movement around the map working better in the North. But I also kind of like in A how A1, A2, A4 are all sort of pitted against one another, similar to a few other areas on the map as well.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby ManBungalow on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:45 pm

100% of voters so far go for version B!

All one of those voters...

Anyway, I think I'm going to pursue a simpler map project for the time being. There are already lots of maps with basic gameplay, but I'll scour the foundry archives for something slightly different.

This map is clearly too radical for somebody with no previously quenched maps to complete.

Move this to the recycling bin/map ideas/wherever it is you put these things, and I may come back to it one day.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:28 pm

[Moved]

Moved to the Melting Pot as no draft stamp has been given.

koontz.

P.S. Shame about this.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:19 am

ManBungalow wrote:100% of voters so far go for version B!

All one of those voters...

Anyway, I think I'm going to pursue a simpler map project for the time being. There are already lots of maps with basic gameplay, but I'll scour the foundry archives for something slightly different.

This map is clearly too radical for somebody with no previously quenched maps to complete.

Move this to the recycling bin/map ideas/wherever it is you put these things, and I may come back to it one day.

I think you can do it! But if you heart is leaning toward something else for your first map, there are a lot of great theme ideas around.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas