This is Sparta!? [2 JUL 2012] v4 P. 1 & 2

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

This is Sparta!? [2 JUL 2012] v4 P. 1 & 2

Postby Campin_Killer on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Map Name: This is Sparta!
Mapmaker(s): CampinKiller
Number of Territories: 33
Special Features: Thermopylae Pass loses one troop per turn
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: It's an intresting concept, with the Spartans being warriors. The Battle of Thermopylae had 300 Spartans and 700 other Greek soldiers defending against a Persian invading force of over 250,000 troops. The Spartans held out for 3 days. Anyways, it's a map that I haven't seen an idea for, and would be an intresting map to play on

~Version 4 Added
Too many mountains?
Change to Key color?
And I'm still working on those borders

Map Image:
Large
Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by Campin_Killer on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Upcoming Tournaments
NCAA Football
In the Trenches - 3 in sign-ups
13 Colonies
8 Thoughts
Africa

Highscore

Lieutenant Campin_Killer

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: This is Sparta!? [29 JUN 2012] v1.0

Postby Campin_Killer on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Older Versions
show: v3

show: v2

show: v1.7.5

show: v1.5

show: v1
Last edited by Campin_Killer on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:24 am, edited 7 times in total.
Upcoming Tournaments
NCAA Football
13 Colonies
8 Thoughts
Africa

Highscore

Lieutenant Campin_Killer

Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:53 pm

Campin_Killer, firstly welcome to the foundry, and do not worry, we will treat you with kid gloves from the outset. ;) Some things first before we get onto the map. Have you read this? It will give you everything that you need to make a map. :-$
Can I ask what programme you are using? When I know this, I can help you more.

koontz
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Postby Campin_Killer on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:27 pm

GIMP 2.6 (for some rediculous reason 2.8 won't run on my computer, but 2.6 runs fine >_>)

As for the ahndbook I read the topic title rule/draft and map requirements, and skimmed the rest.
Upcoming Tournaments
NCAA Football
13 Colonies
8 Thoughts
Africa

Highscore

Lieutenant Campin_Killer

Postby The Bison King on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:34 pm

Shouldn't you gain troops at the pass since it's the stronghold?
Sergeant The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:54 pm

Campin_Killer wrote:GIMP 2.6 (for some rediculous reason 2.8 won't run on my computer, but 2.6 runs fine >_>)

As for the ahndbook I read the topic title rule/draft and map requirements, and skimmed the rest.

Good, now we can get onto the map.
Here are a couple of good gimp tutorials that you can use to get your map really looking nice. I would suggest that you read them and start again. Do not worry, you will find that will be easier than trying to get what you have up to par and as you already have done it once, it will go quicker. Call it good practice for later.
viewtopic.php?f=649&t=140723
viewtopic.php?f=466&t=141577
And one more for you to look at. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=649&t=123772

I would advise you to go through these tutorials step by step. You will end up with a map that is 100% better than what you have.

Text - to large, it needs to sit in the territories.
Font for name and legend - hard to read and does not look good. Make sure Hinting and Antialiasing are turned on in the text tool.
Black lines - Follow the guide. ;)

Best advise for you is this - every spare minute you have, practise and experiment with GIMP. Try everything out that you can. It is the only way to learn as guides on the internet, while good, will not cover everything that you want.

koontz
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Postby x-raider on Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:14 am

This is great.
Good luck and I hope to give some more substantial feedback soon.
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Postby Dibbun on Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:31 am

Oh snap, Doxa Sparta!!

show
nagerous wrote:Dibbun is a well known psychotic from the forums

Army of GOD wrote:Congrats to Dibbun, the white jesus, and all of his mercy and forgiveness.

Jdsizzleslice wrote: So you can crawl back to whatever psychosocial nutjob hole you came from.
Lieutenant Dibbun

Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (2)

Re: This is Sparta!? [30 JUN 2012] v1.5

Postby Campin_Killer on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:45 am

Click image to enlarge.

Changes:
Added new territories
Added new bonus
Added Spartan symbol (left side in the gray)
Changed Graphics
Added rivers and land routes
Changed text for Title and Key
Cleaned up borders
Upcoming Tournaments
NCAA Football
13 Colonies
8 Thoughts
Africa

Highscore

Lieutenant Campin_Killer

Postby Campin_Killer on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:52 am

The Bison King wrote:Shouldn't you gain troops at the pass since it's the stronghold?

The location of the pass on the map is infront of the Phoenician Wall (the front line of the Greek/Spartan phalanx). Since the Persians were originaly (before finding the mountain pass) trying to assualt through the phalanx, and were taking such heavy losses, I felt it would be better for the pass to lose 1 troop per turn.

However I'm also leaning towards the "Spartans" region having a +1 or +2 bonus/auto-deploy
Upcoming Tournaments
NCAA Football
13 Colonies
8 Thoughts
Africa

Highscore

Lieutenant Campin_Killer

Re: This is Sparta!? [30 JUN 2012] v1.5 (p.1/1)

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:52 am

Hey, this version looks much better than the first one. I like the changes you've made.

One thing that pops out to me immediately is the borders. I know you worked on them some already, but it looks like you may need to work on them some more. They look kind of blurry in some places, kind of jagged in other places. You will want to get them as smooth as possible. It's hard and a bit of a chore at first, but it's definitely worth it, it will make the map look much better as a whole.

Another thing I see is that your mountains aren't completely covering up the border lines. This one probably isn't as important, but you may want to move some of them just a hair or two south to completely cover that black line.

And one last thing I immediately see, you should probably come up with a better name than "More Ruins"...perhaps a certain type of ruins, or something else entirely.

Nice work so far! I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.
Major tkr4lf

Medals: 63
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (14)

Re: This is Sparta!? [30 JUN 2012] v1.5 [p.1/1]

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:55 am

One more thing...I really like the look of the water! Very nice!
Major tkr4lf

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4)

Postby Campin_Killer on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:57 am

tkr4lf wrote:Hey, this version looks much better than the first one. I like the changes you've made.

One thing that pops out to me immediately is the borders. I know you worked on them some already, but it looks like you may need to work on them some more. They look kind of blurry in some places, kind of jagged in other places. You will want to get them as smooth as possible. It's hard and a bit of a chore at first, but it's definitely worth it, it will make the map look much better as a whole.

Another thing I see is that your mountains aren't completely covering up the border lines. This one probably isn't as important, but you may want to move some of them just a hair or two south to completely cover that black line.

And one last thing I immediately see, you should probably come up with a better name than "More Ruins"...perhaps a certain type of ruins, or something else entirely.

Nice work so far! I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Yeah the borders can tend to be a general pain in the ass. I'm trying to get both the bonus borders and territory borders smoother, but I accidently jerk my mouse every-so-often using free select and it makes the bonus borders jagged and I have to start over. So that needs to be fixed. The territory borders I'm just drawing by hand (or mouse :P) so I'll probably be redoing those in a bit.

More ruins was just a temp name, I was completely brain-dead on the topic of territory names at that point and just put that for the time being.
tkr4lf wrote:One more thing...I really like the look of the water! Very nice!

Thanks. My strongpoint...water :mrgreen:
Upcoming Tournaments
NCAA Football
13 Colonies
8 Thoughts
Africa

Highscore

Lieutenant Campin_Killer

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:03 am

Campin_Killer wrote:Yeah the borders can tend to be a general pain in the ass. I'm trying to get both the bonus borders and territory borders smoother, but I accidently jerk my mouse every-so-often using free select and it makes the bonus borders jagged and I have to start over. So that needs to be fixed. The territory borders I'm just drawing by hand (or mouse :P) so I'll probably be redoing those in a bit.

You should definitely take a look at Natty Dread's GIMP tutorial. When I first started, I also was trying to draw the borders by hand using a mouse...it's difficult, to say the least (as I'm sure you know!). A much better and easier way to do it is to use the paths tool. It makes it much easier to get smooth lines and generally eliminates the whole "jumpy mouse" thing. Natty elaborates on it in his tutorial. I think (?) it's in the second part of the tutorial, but I could be wrong. Koontz linked to both of them in one of his posts above.

Campin_Killer wrote:More ruins was just a temp name, I was completely brain-dead on the topic of territory names at that point and just put that for the time being.

Fair enough.
Major tkr4lf

Re: This is Sparta!? [30 JUN 2012] v1.5 [p.1/1]

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:18 am

Much better. Well done.

show: paths

Your colours are very bright. Is there a reason why these ones in particular?

koontz
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas