Conquer Club

hellenic wars, bin it

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: hellenic wars, changed capitals, Jul 25

Postby Oneyed on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:28 pm

charmir wrote:Here are three to think about then.

The gameplay seems to be overly complicated for such a small map. Even your legend takes up a third of the map.
The capitals are very close together. This will stifle the larger games.
You have very limited attack routes on this map. This means the strategy for the map is very basic and each starting position only has limited ways to go.

qwerts map may of been simple in game play, but because of these three alone, no matter how well you do the graphics, this is likely to be an inferior copy. Sorry oneyed, but I have to tell it as I see it.

looks that you have some good detections. it´s quaint that I see just these two posts in the Map Foundry... you should come more often to the foundry ;) .

btw, copy? then you could name all maps from the same area and era as copy.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:29 pm

Oneyed wrote:

The gameplay seems to be overly complicated for such a small map. Even your legend takes up a third of the map.
You have very limited attack routes on this map. This means the strategy for the map is very basic and each starting position only has limited ways to go.

qwerts map may of been simple in game play, but because of these three alone, no matter how well you do the graphics, this is likely to be an inferior copy. Sorry oneyed, but I have to tell it as I see it.

looks that you have some good detections. it´s quaint that I see just these two posts in the Map Foundry... you should come more often to the foundry ;) .

btw, copy? then you could name all maps from the same area and era as copy.

Oneyed

Oneyed, you say that charmir makes some good points, so do you have any plan to change the map in any way to counter his points.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby GoranZ on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:36 pm

If you think that currently proposed map is too similar to qwert's map then maybe it is far better to propose something that will make the map unique enough rather then to say that it is "inferior copy". Just my 2 cents...

Now back to the map.

-There are few capitals that have harbors(which means they can be attacked more easily)... Wouldn't be more interesting for all capitals to not have harbors on them? *IDK what others think about my proposal*
-Pella and Abdere have 1 territory between them, can u make Eion's border little bit to the north so it will become second territory between the capitals.
-Game objectives...
--When your Capital falls Everything is lost. What happens if I have 3 more capitals from enemy players(total capitals = 4)? If I lose my starting capital I get eliminated?... What about escalating games(I only need to find easy road to my initial enemy's capital and to take it out, regardless if he has 6 capitals)
--Objectives: Hold your capital and all capitals from the enemy league to win. Very hard to achieve this in quads(I need to kill some of my teammates also). Personally I don't like the idea for me to kill friends in order to achieve the objective for win.
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
Brigadier GoranZ

Postby Oneyed on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:07 am

GoranZ wrote:-There are few capitals that have harbors(which means they can be attacked more easily)... Wouldn't be more interesting for all capitals to not have harbors on them? *IDK what others think about my proposal*

yes. but could you imagine Athens without port? :)
GoranZ wrote:-Pella and Abdere have 1 territory between them, can u make Eion's border little bit to the north so it will become second territory between the capitals.

I see. no problem to change border...
GoranZ wrote:-Game objectives...
--When your Capital falls Everything is lost. What happens if I have 3 more capitals from enemy players(total capitals = 4)? If I lose my starting capital I get eliminated?... What about escalating games(I only need to find easy road to my initial enemy's capital and to take it out, regardless if he has 6 capitals)

good point. it needs to be edited. you lose if you will not hold ANY capital was my idea...
GoranZ wrote:--Objectives: Hold your capital and all capitals from the enemy league to win. Very hard to achieve this in quads(I need to kill some of my teammates also).

no to the time when you still hold "your" capital. if you lost it, then yes you need to take one capital from your teammate. but when will be changed to ANY and he will holds two capitals you will not kill him.
GoranZ wrote:Personally I don't like the idea for me to kill friends in order to achieve the objective for win.

I like it :D . betray was very common, just you need to set it accurate...

thanks.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:52 pm

Oneyed wrote:
GoranZ wrote:Personally I don't like the idea for me to kill friends in order to achieve the objective for win.

I like it :D . betray was very common, just you need to set it accurate...

thanks.

Oneyed

Attacking ones team mates for the win will probably never happen as you do not need to do it for the win. So this is really not something to worry about but as suggested, get the wording changed.

This has always been one of my nit picks. I rarely play the 1v1 game which this seems more suited to. I know you and nole have talked about the neutrals, but is there any way to get some more territs on the board. As I have said before, the legend is very large and also the sea is huge compared to the number of territs on it. If both where reduced, you could add more territs to the land and make this a better hunting map for foggy games.

Next to the objectives part of the legend, you have some territs there but no capital. Why would anyone take this area?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:29 am

Oneyed, getting close to the deadline now. Any update on the horizon so I can get this sent up to the main foundry?

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:01 pm

bin it.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby nolefan5311 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:03 pm

Oneyed wrote:bin it.

Oneyed

:?:
Captain nolefan5311

Re: hellenic wars, bin it

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:37 pm

Not a problem with the binning, but why?

[Moved]

As per map makers request. Will put this one back into the drafting room as soon as an update has been made.

koontz.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas