Conquer Club

a proper pangea

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

a proper pangea

Postby NinjaArmy on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:51 am

i want to make a proper pangea map. since the theory of plate tectonics is scientifically disproven, i'd like to just make a shrunken, oceanless world with the same sized continents. like it really was. but i'd be willing to settle for a more traditional (albiet wrong) depiction of pangea if it'd get it more support. as far as graphics go, i'll be using the old pangea ultima map for ideas, but will change the water among other graphics so it's only a differently shaped map, but different looking. one last thing: i plan to use all the classic map territories in different positions. would it be better to go with just general area names? since none of these contries existed? and also should i take away continental bonuses and just have natural land colors? lemme know what you think.
[insert sarcasm]
Private NinjaArmy

Re: a proper pangea

Postby nolefan5311 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:42 am

Posting a draft of your idea would be a better way to get feedback. I like the idea, but can't really visualize what you want to do.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby wtsallw on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:44 pm

i've been working on a little pangaea map too,

http://i.imgur.com/uJuGZ.jpg

didn't see one and don't remember the pangaea ultima map.
Private 1st Class wtsallw

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:51 pm

A pangea map has been tried before several times. I think you already did this, but I strongly suggest to look at the old map projects and see where they were strong and in stead where they failed.

About this:
NinjaArmy wrote: one last thing: i plan to use all the classic map territories in different positions. would it be better to go with just general area names? since none of these contries existed?

If you started a topic saying you want to draw a proper pangea map, you should scrap the idea of modern names/regions. If you want to make a pangea map, make a pangea map then.
If I remember correctly the pangea continent changed during the mesozoic, so you have about 400-500 million of years you can use. I think you can cartainly find something that fits more than a modern city/country.

NinjaArmy wrote: and also should i take away continental bonuses and just have natural land colors?

I think it's a bit early to think about graphics now. Start with draft, don't pay too much attention to details or nice graphics. Make possible for us all to understand how the map will work (names, bonuses, continents, ect ). When the right moment will come we can start to think about how to make the map nice. ;)

Hope to see a draft soon
Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:43 am

Just saw this (http://www.abroadintheyard.com/wp-conte ... orders.jpg) online and it made me think that a Pangea map might be a decent idea. I kinda figured that someone else would have had the idea already, so went searching and found this thread. Any headway made since November?
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas