Conquer Club

Paintball! [12/12/12] Feedback on my map idea?

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Paintball! [12/12/12] Feedback on my map idea?

Postby P4Ssoa on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:31 am

Map Name:
Mapmaker(s): P4Ssoa
Number of Territories: Not yet known. This is just an idea! :-)
Special Features: You start with 1 home base. (autodeploy) You can bombard the surrounding field of territories up to the first tower. You want to capture the first tower fast, as it has auto deploy and it can bombard the field surrounding it. In the middle of the map is a castle. This castle is further away from a homebase then the towers. The castle towers have a big range to bombard (they can bombard all territories up to the two nearest towers.
I was also thinking of putting an objective in this map. Like try to conquer the castle and 3 out of 4 home bases.

What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: It's fun and different from most other already existing maps.

Map Image:
Just a first impression of the idea:
Click image to enlarge.

An idea of what can attack what:
Click image to enlarge.

This first post is just a quick draft to give you an early impression. Do you like it? Any suggestions?
Captain P4Ssoa

Re: Paintball! [12/12/12] Feedback on my map idea?

Postby generalhead on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:31 am

You could have drawn a circle around the center tower to show it's range correct.
i think this is a cool idea. lots of potential
Sergeant generalhead

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:15 pm

P4Ssoa, nice to see a new face in the crowd. Just to let you know that the current draft does not meet drafting room standards. So moved it to the map ideas forum. You will find everything you need to know about map making here.

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Boler on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:45 am

I have never played paintball myself, but this looks like a really cool idea!

I especially like the fact that all the towers have a certain range. It reminds me a bit of the "tower defense" genre of web games.
Sergeant 1st Class Boler

Postby P4Ssoa on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:44 am

Thanks for moving this topic to the correct forum. :-)

I would like this map to be fun and simple, but with lots of strategic options.
The above drafts are just to show my idea of course. I'll make a better draft soon.

Any idea's are appreciated! If you are a graphic wizard and you would like to help me, feel free to send me a pm!
Captain P4Ssoa

Postby generalhead on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:31 am

If you use gimp there are a lot of really good tutorials on youtube to give you some great tips.
If you run into any particular issue you can always ask Koontz or any other members of the foundry.
I am excited to see the first draft on this.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby x-raider on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:37 am

Good work. Nice first post. Nice thinking up some new game-play ideas.

It would greatly help if in your next map, you simply add text labeling the different things like castle, first tower (I'm a bit confused, what that means, is that supposed to be your home base?), home base, castle tower etc, and if you're going to use the colours you should say what means what (I think red means "attacks" and yellow means "bombard" but it's always good to make it clear) ;)

What program have you been using so far? Do you plan to use Gimp? It's useful for us to know.

The paintball theme is not so well understood; would you like to explain that more?

I like the Objective.

Looking forward...

P.S.There are no "Graphic Wizards". Only people who've toiled in and around graphics.
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby P4Ssoa on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:16 pm

I'll soon post a new draft of this map idea. I hope everything will become a lot more clear then.
Give me some time though. I need to learn gimp or photoshop first. I think I will try to work on it during the next week and a half. (Still have lots of work to do the next couple of days).

I wanted to make a game that ressembles paintball in some way. Having a homebase to start from, capturing towers, continuing from there. Or to take cover behind a rock/wall/tree somewhere. Having one objective: capture the other teams flag/capture the castle/...
It will need lots of work and thinking to make this map fun and simple, but I'm sure I'll figure it out in the process! :-)
Captain P4Ssoa

Postby generalhead on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:11 pm

Great idea, the home base can be accomplished with starting positions. great concept, can't wait to see a first draft.
Sergeant generalhead

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas