Conquer Club

Creatures & Conquerors (concept)

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Creatures & Conquerors (concept)

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:57 pm

Creatures & Conquerors
Mapmaker(s): Dolomite13
Number of Territories: Unknown as this is a rough draft.
Special Features: Bombard, Autodeploy, Conditional Borders
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: Following in the tradition of wacky and off the wall ideas I thought this seemed like an idea that hadn't been done yet.

Everything is up for discussion... and I do mean everything =)

I am thinking however that it should be an all black & white map in the tradition of classic pencil & paper games from the 1970's

Map Image:
Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by dolomite13 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Re: Creatures & Conquerors - Gauging Interest

Postby sannemanrobinson on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:44 am

It looks really nice but also raises many questions:
Are monsters the same as creatures?
Can creatures assault rooms as well?
There is no +3 standard bonus at the start of the game?
Is dungeon a certain room?
Room 3 should also connect to 13?

I like the conquerors more than the creatures. They are relly different styles. So leaving the creatures out would be an option.

Or creatures could be put in the rooms to replace the room numbers. With five more creatures, every room will have one creature inside. Just now I see that conquerers might connect to a certain creatures already. This is not really clear.
Major sannemanrobinson

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:08 am

sannemanrobinson wrote:It looks really nice but also raises many questions:

It is just a rough rough draft ... so I expect a lot of questions.

sannemanrobinson wrote:Are monsters the same as creatures?

Yep that's just me typing monster instead of creature. Before I had a name for the map I used "monster" as a placeholder.

sannemanrobinson wrote:Can creatures assault rooms as well?

I was envisioning creatures as something that was conquered for experience and treasure wish translate to bonus values and unlocks of borders so I wasn't going to have them attack the board. I wonder how hard it might be to balance having 7 conqueror players and one player position that has different rules and can start by controlling the creatures ... hmmmmmm

sannemanrobinson wrote:There is no +3 standard bonus at the start of the game?
I did not envision one as the map has bonus of +1 for every 3 dungeon territories and a bonus structure. I didn't want creatures, conquerors or dice to figure into it.

sannemanrobinson wrote:Is dungeon a certain room?
Its the whole network of rooms.

sannemanrobinson wrote:Room 3 should also connect to 13?
The map is just a placeholder. The layout will be completely replaced. I slapped it together to gauge interest at this point while I decide if I want to do a cleaned up more technically accurate version. But yes on that map they do.

sannemanrobinson wrote:I like the conquerors more than the creatures. They are relly different styles. So leaving the creatures out would be an option.
The art is just placeholder... I used two free fonts I found to give me some basic conquerors and creatures.

sannemanrobinson wrote:Or creatures could be put in the rooms to replace the room numbers. With five more creatures, every room will have one creature inside. /quote]
Interesting however I wanted there to be rooms to explore through to get to the rooms with the creatures and not have them in every room.

sannemanrobinson wrote:Just now I see that conquerers might connect to a certain creatures already. This is not really clear.
That is definitely not clear on this map. They don't connect however each one is assigned a "quest creature" that they get a extra bonus for conquering.

Thanks for the questions and observations they are much appreciated =)

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby BGtheBrain on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:11 am

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:21 am

I was thinking that we don't need the "quest creatures" and representations of the conquerors on the map at all. Each conqueror could be in the dungeon spread appart from other conquerors by enough space and that the map and creatures could become the focus of the map. I will make a better draft later.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Creatures & Conquerors (concept)

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:39 pm

Going to table this idea for now while I focus on getting Conquer 500 out of beta, Krazy Kingdoms into the XML phase, and Homeworlds approved for Battle Royale.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Creatures & Conquerors (concept)

Postby waauw on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:43 pm

I'm ok with you keeping it all black and white, but please add more grey to the map. All this white is so bright on the eyes in my opinion.
Lieutenant waauw

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas