Conquer Club

Ragnarök (Updated Midgard Pg 9) [Abandoned]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What style of map

Total votes : 0

Postby Telvannia on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:37 pm

here is my newer river.

Dont know if people prefer it to the old river
New:
Old:
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby gimil on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:40 pm

think out the river a little bit. it looks to think at the moment.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Gnome on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:08 pm

maybe you can make it looks like the river starts in the mountains...becouse now It looks to flat...It doesnt looks like the river flows to the sea...Just a suggestion...
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby Telvannia on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:03 am

gimil wrote:think out the river a little bit. it looks to think at the moment.

do you mean:
thin out the river a little bit. it looks to thick at the moment.?

Gnome wrote:maybe you can make it looks like the river starts in the mountains...becouse now It looks to flat...It doesnt looks like the river flows to the sea...Just a suggestion...

I was considering that, if i do decide to do that i need a method of drawing good mountains from over head

DiM? :lol:

Postby DiM on Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:23 am

Telvannia wrote:
gimil wrote:think out the river a little bit. it looks to think at the moment.

do you mean:
thin out the river a little bit. it looks to thick at the moment.?

:lol: it cracks me up whenever i read gimil's posts.

Telvannia wrote:
Gnome wrote:maybe you can make it looks like the river starts in the mountains...becouse now It looks to flat...It doesnt looks like the river flows to the sea...Just a suggestion...

I was considering that, if i do decide to do that i need a method of drawing good mountains from over head

DiM? :lol:

i'll go try make a mountain and post it here
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:08 am

here's my very first mountain.
how did i do it?

you have some land that looks really flat. take the magic wand or something similar and select a small piece of land. copy paste it into a new layer. ad bevel to look like a small cliff. then go gack and take another piece of land and copy paste it in a new layer and add bevel again. do this as much as you like selecting various types of bevel. use some hard bevel not soft or it will look too much like a hill not a mountain with sharp cliffs.

make sure you have the same lighting on all the layers. at the end feel free to add some snow on some mountain tips. using a scattered white brush.

also at the base of the mountain or on some sides you can add trees.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:14 am

here's a better mountain. it's done exactly like the previous one the only difference being that i added a gradient to make the mountain more realistic.
i've also made the river seem like it's flowing from the mountain.
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:35 am

here are the mountainy-hills put into the map, these were done with a bumpmap. I might try and make the sides steeper by blurring it less.
I will try recolouring to make it look mountainous.

But here it is as is currently, (i added the house in as part of something i was trying out earlier)

Postby DiM on Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:43 am

looks good. more lik a hill than a mountain though :D
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:45 am

DiM wrote:looks good. more lik a hill than a mountain though :D

the only problem is the river and hills take up most of the area, i might redo it, with a smaller river ect.

So i can fit more territories into the map.

Postby DiM on Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:52 am

Telvannia wrote:
DiM wrote:looks good. more lik a hill than a mountain though :D

the only problem is the river and hills take up most of the area, i might redo it, with a smaller river ect.

So i can fit more territories into the map.

don't make the river smaller. leave it as it is, but instead make the house smaller. at this point the hous is as big as the river. i say make it half it's current size.
Major DiM

Postby Coleman on Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:40 am

If he shrinks the building though he'll lose consistency with the other continents.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Telvannia on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:19 am

DiM wrote:don't make the river smaller. leave it as it is, but instead make the house smaller. at this point the hous is as big as the river. i say make it half it's current size.

Coleman wrote:If he shrinks the building though he'll lose consistency with the other continents.

I have tried a smaller river, and i personally think this version looks a lot nicer, be that is just me.

I think everything should be smaller here because asgaror is lived in by gods, so they should have bigger houses, also if you think logically, midgard should have smaller sizes than asgaror because of perspective :D

here is the small river version:

Postby DiM on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:20 am

Coleman wrote:If he shrinks the building though he'll lose consistency with the other continents.

true. :?

then increase the land size and keep the building the same. make the land 1.5 times bigger
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:27 am

DiM wrote:

then increase the land size and keep the building the same. make the land 1.5 times bigger

view my reasoning above the map above your post

Postby DiM on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:49 am

Telvannia wrote:
DiM wrote:

view my reasoning above the map above your post

yep i saw. you fastposted me :lol:
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:56 am

here is a update
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

it is not finished quite, i need to decide how the territories will work in midgard, but i will think about that after i finish graphics.

midgard is going to be split into two smaller bonuses and one large bonus, and the continent will be split along the middle with one vilage fighting the other, the three ways across the middle is by boat, by the bridge, or though the gates in the north, (might be closed off later.)

here is the image

Postby Gnome on Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:40 am

I like it!
I think only you bridge across the river is a bit to large..
If you look at the dock and compare it with the dock and the houses, the bridge is Huge...
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby DiM on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:09 am

i agree the bridge looks too big. and also the hill does not seem impassable. or at least it does not give me the impression of an impassable border. perhaps if it had a different shade. :?
Major DiM

Postby riggable on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:56 pm

Just remember, the different sections of your map will have to seem the same porportion throughout...

hmm what I mean to say is the houses in Midgard are signifigantly smaller than the ones in the other sections of the map, which i think will look weird when you assemble all the different sections.
Sergeant riggable

Postby Gnome on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:43 am

somewhere Telvannia said the other part of the map he made, would be asgard or something, where the Gods live...Gods are big so the houses have to look bigger...I can live with the diffrence...
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby Telvannia on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:03 pm

here is midgard i bit more complete made the mountains a bit different.

Postby john1099 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:37 pm

I had to read through 9 pages of your stuff just to see updates.
Might I offer a suggestion?
Once you have completed a section, put it on page one, and on the last post as well ;)

Looks alright so far, but might I suggest, if you eventually do animations, that you do a complete day, that is in real time, so when its noon, the shadows will be the same no matter no matter which day, and they will change by the minute, according to the actual day.
Then, you could add "lights" to the fences, to make an effect that it is still light out, even after dark.
That would be a nice touch.
This map is going to be a lot of work, but so far it doesn't look overly bad.
Good luck, I look forward to seeing some more updates!
-John
GunnaRoolsUDrool wrote:yo mama has 3 titties, ones for milk, ones for water, ones out of order
Sergeant 1st Class john1099

Postby Telvannia on Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:08 pm

update time =D> =D>

added some shadows to midgard, i will post the full map tomorrow.

Postby riggable on Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:26 pm

The bridge looks a little fuzzy, other than that, it looks fantastic!
Sergeant riggable

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas