Conquer Club

Elements Version V.17 Small Map Updated

This is where maps get made. Check out what's in development and give us some feedback.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Elements Version V.17 Small Map Updated

Postby iancanton on Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:30 am

HitRed wrote:
iancanton wrote:this is a map on which i expect extreme stacking to be rare, so i'm not greatly worried about 4-digit blue troop counts overflowing into the black area, which is a concern on some other maps.

iancanton wrote:i prefer the v14 table to the later versions, as the troop counts are not so likely to run into each other or off the edge of the map if players stack in a no-spoils multi-player game.

So we removed the side black as we thought it was OK. We made the boxes WIDER and were told stacking was rare, meaning we could keep the troop circles even.

i meant that v14 could cope with a colour code plus three digits, as it would always be possible read the rightmost digit without much difficulty. by removing all of the overflow space, most of the rightmost digit disappears.

HitRed wrote:
iancanton wrote:incidentally, the discoverer of tellurium, franz-joseph mĆ¼ller von reichenstein was, as suggested by his strongly germanic name, in no way romanian. he was born in either vienna or transylvania, which were both part of the austrian habsburg monarchy. romania was a neighbouring country and had no involvement in the discovery, but gained transylvania after the empire was defeated in the first world war, well after his death.

iancanton wrote:why does 52 Te have the Hapsburg empire flag, while 60 Nd has the Austrian flag?

I needed a few more bonuses and having modern Austria and old Habsburg was your idea. =D>

good, except the flags are the wrong way round: 52 Te ought to be red-white-red and 60 Nd black-yellow.

talking of flags, they're too heavily weighted toward period 7, which has 4 flags, especially when considering that most of period 7 qualifies for one of the easiest bonuses; period 7 is also less vulnerable to attack than most other areas. i suggest removing the 108 Hs flag and replacing it with one in, say, period 3, which has none at present.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Minister X on Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:12 pm

On the preceding page I was comparing version 16 and 17. I notice that the background and some of the text changed and as a result one thing stuck out to me: the text along the very bottom, which explains which terts connect, was harder to read on v17. I looked at v17 first and had to squint and get closer to the screen. I see no reason why this text can't be made larger. There's plenty of room. And as a relative newcomer to this map one of the first questions I asked myself was "what connects to what?" It's why that explanatory text is needed and so important. I urge you to make it more readable.
Major Minister X

Postby HitRed on Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:33 am

iancanton wrote:I meant that v14 could cope with a colour code plus three digits, as it would always be possible read the rightmost digit without much difficulty. by removing all of the overflow space, most of the rightmost digit disappears.

I understand you want the black sides more like v14. OK.
Reworking the art takes great effort. The biggest issue is the height of the element boxes. Please provide very exact dimensions for the box height. This is the biggest issue!

iancanton wrote:52 Te ought to be red-white-red and 60 Nd black-yellow.
OK

iancanton wrote:talking of flags, they're too heavily weighted toward period 7, which has 4 flags, especially when considering that most of period 7 qualifies for one of the easiest bonuses; period 7 is also less vulnerable to attack than most other areas. i suggest removing the 108 Hs flag and replacing it with one in, say, period 3, which has none at present.

I do not look at periods as they are not a bonus. Germany discovered 19 elements so there are plenty of choices. Element #15 already has too many bonuses around it. I suggest 37 or 55. I would choose 55 for the location. 2nd choice being 37.

HitRed

v14 for reference

V.15 Small Map
Captain HitRed

Postby HitRed on Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:13 pm

Minister X wrote:On the preceding page I was comparing version 16 and 17. I notice that the background and some of the text changed and as a result one thing stuck out to me: the text along the very bottom, which explains which terts connect, was harder to read on v17. I looked at v17 first and had to squint and get closer to the screen. I see no reason why this text can't be made larger. There's plenty of room. And as a relative newcomer to this map one of the first questions I asked myself was "what connects to what?" It's why that explanatory text is needed and so important. I urge you to make it more readable.

Last we talked EBConquer was still adjusting the background.
Captain HitRed

Postby Fuchsia tude on Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:26 pm

I'm R/G colorblind. The Red and Green Biologicals outlines aren't as bad as I feared, but I wouldn't mind tweaking one or the other a bit.

But the All Magnetics teal outline looks nearly identical to the default normal element gray outline. Being two pixels wide instead of one is too subtle, I feel. It'd be nice to darken that or something. Or, do all the non-special elements need that gray outline, anyway? You have a black grid dividing all the elements already; double outlining, black and gray, seems kind of wasteful. Removing that gray outline from the generics would make the magnetics really pop.
Corporal Fuchsia tude

Postby Vlasov on Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:06 am

What will it take to get this map to the Beta stage so we can all try it out?
Cadet Vlasov

Postby iancanton on Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:46 pm

+1 for each 3 purple nuclear is too easy compared with most other bonuses and results in an unnecessarily large number of elements being coded as arbitrary starting neutrals. this can be mitigated by changing it to +2 for every 6 purple nuclear.

the v16 bonus legend is preferable to the one in v17, since it helpfully states the number of elements needed for each bonus.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby HitRed on Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:21 pm

iancanton wrote: +1 for each 3 purple nuclear is too easy compared with most other bonuses and results in an unnecessarily large number of elements being coded as arbitrary starting neutrals. this can be mitigated by changing it to +2 for every 6 purple nuclear.

Ok

iancanton wrote: Ok the v16 bonus legend is preferable to the one in v17, since it helpfully states the number of elements needed for each bonus.

Do you mean 17? It has the numbers.

The height of the territories is the holdup. Please advise EBconquer.

HitRed
Captain HitRed

Postby Fuchsia tude on Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:02 pm

HitRed wrote: 17

Now all the generics have a double-thick outline and I really can't tell them apart at a glance from the magnetics. Did you try a version without the gray outline at all on the generic elements? Or maybe try a different color, like white, for one or the other.
Corporal Fuchsia tude

Postby HitRed on Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:14 am

Fuchsia tude wrote:
HitRed wrote: 17

Now all the generics have a double-thick outline and I really can't tell them apart at a glance from the magnetics. Did you try a version without the gray outline at all on the generic elements? Or maybe try a different color, like white, for one or the other.

We can look at that.

HitRed
Captain HitRed

Postby iancanton on Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:05 pm

HitRed wrote:
iancanton wrote:the v16 bonus legend is preferable to the one in v17, since it helpfully states the number of elements needed for each bonus.

correct. the title of the post that introduced v17 had "v16" in it and i wrote the post too quickly to notice!

HitRed wrote:The height of the territories is the holdup. Please advise EBconquer.

the maximum height of a supersize small map is 650 pixels.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=182136

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby HitRed on Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:04 pm

iancanton wrote:
HitRed wrote:
iancanton wrote:the v16 bonus legend is preferable to the one in v17, since it helpfully states the number of elements needed for each bonus.

correct. the title of the post that introduced v17 had "v16" in it and i wrote the post too quickly to notice!

HitRed wrote:The height of the territories is the holdup. Please advise EBconquer.

the maximum height of a supersize small map is 650 pixels.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=182136

Still need height of the territories. You said they are not tall enough. How tall do you want them?

HitRed
Captain HitRed

Postby Fuchsia tude on Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:54 am

If overlapping troop counts is the problem, you could do like Spanish Armada does and stagger them: place the symbol and atomic number at the top and troop count at the bottom of one, reverse those two positions for the next, alternating in succession left-to-right.
Corporal Fuchsia tude

Postby Vlasov on Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:03 am

I hope 2021 is the year that this Elements map is advanced to beta, so we can try it out.
Cadet Vlasov

Postby Vlasov on Sat May 07, 2022 6:08 am

Now I hope 2022 is the year that this map can be advanced to beta. Is there anything I can do to help?

I don't mind seeing the Ukrainian flag, but what happened to the Elements graphic?

This map should be beta-tested soon, before more new elements are synthesized! Element 119 would begin period 8 on the periodic table, so a new row (or part of one) would have to be added, just below element 87 (francium).
Cadet Vlasov

Postby Fuchsia tude on Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:53 pm

Vlasov wrote:I don't mind seeing the Ukrainian flag, but what happened to the Elements graphic?

I assume the answer is "Imageshack".

My edits are still up there, since I used Imgur, but considering they're deleting images now too I assume those have a similarly limited shelf life.
Corporal Fuchsia tude

Previous

Return to Map Foundry